Whispers to the Wind

Songs of the Abyss

Chapter 14: Whispers to the Wind

 

“Kai, you’ve never even done something of that sort? How do you expect pull it off?” Kyungsoo scolds. He looks at Kai face stern and unreadable—adamant.

“We’ll never know until we try.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes bulge dangerously, body moving into offensive at the nonchalance in Kai’s voice.

“Kai, do you even understand what they’re asking of you?” Kyungsoo pleads, “They’re asking you to tear a gaping whole into another dimension and place an ancient magical artifact that holds the soul of a more ancient monster that wants to eat the moon. For all intents and purposes, this is basically a suicide mission.”

Kai quirks his eyebrows at Kyungsoo, feeling some dormant resentment bubbling beneath his skin. The brooding anger he once harbored for Kyungsoo seemingly rearing its ugly head the more Kyungsoo spoke.

“You’d know a lot about that,” he sneers, breath shallow, voice venomous.

It feels shrill against Kyungsoo’s ears. There’s a chill that runs down his spine. It’s a jab at him, a desolate attack to his core as he feels the attack coming. It hits home. Kai’s words stab at him with deadly accuracy and focused precision. Kyungsoo’s left numb.

Kai regards Kyungsoo’s defeated form. He knows all too well that his incident has not only taken a toll on him, but on the prince of the Krags as well. During the course of the incident it was apparent that it took a lot out of Kyungsoo. He saw it in the way his arms limped each passing day, and the way his eyes lost its vigor as the days went on. At that point Kai didn’t think much of it, but now, now Kai knows how deep it cut Kyungsoo’s spirit. And maybe the jab was below the belt, but Kai doesn’t need any more negativity, maybe Kai just needs to prove himself capable.

Kai tries to stay calm, but he was in a storm of emotions. He can only wade through it.

“You don’t know the extent of my powers. I do. You have no say in this.”

He doesn’t know why he can’t stop. It’s like a tidal wave churning within the deepest trenches of the ocean. It comes as a gush, a slight tremor, but it grows, gathering pace and energy as it strides slowly to the shore. This was Kai’s emotions buried beneath his stoicism and passivity, hidden beneath his hours of solitude and pretentious calm.

Kyungsoo was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It hits again, this time more pronounced, more virtuous in its descent upon Kyungsoo psyche.

“Stop looking down on me. I’m not decrepit.”

Kyungsoo attempts to protest, “Kai, I don—”

“I can handle myself, stop thinking that you have to take care of me. I’ve taken care of myself my entire life. I don’t need you.”

That’s it. The wave crashes against the shore and hurtles towards the stronghold built with stone and steel. An ancient structure made to transcend the test of time. It has passed through many storms and survived many a siege. It’s made to survive anything.

Kyungsoo looks up and there is red in his deep irises.

Pain.

Guilt.

Hatred.

And survive it does. But barely.

Kyungsoo leaves without another word. He retreats somewhere where his feelings don’t rage against his skin—searches for somewhere to rest. The general knows a losing battle when he sees one. He knows when to retreat. He knows when to rebuild his walls thicker.

Kai is left speechless. Reeling from emotional tirade he has let out on Kyungsoo.

Everyone is speechless. Only the sound of waves crashing against the shore reverberates through the still air. It should be calming, but it only makes Kai more uncomfortable.

Kai doesn’t know what to say. He’s lost in the aftermath of the storm. His senses are still reeling from the force. So implores to the only one who can help him.

“Lay, help me.”

The minstrel moves to Kai. It’s two-fold, the request, and Lay understands.  The man in front of him was confused of the situation and was willing to take on the challenge. But his emotions are another dilemma altogether.

Lay puts a hand on Kai’s shoulder and leads him somewhere. Away from the chaos, away from the prying eyes. It’s his job as the eldest. He’s gone through all this emotional trauma and then some in his time with the Vanguards. And as much as Kyungsoo and Kai are mature adults, there are things only experience can teach. And it’s evident that these two have never gone through the pulsating motions of a shattered heart.

As they leave, Junmyeon approaches Jongdae with small strides, cheeks red and voice coarse.

“Please reassure me that Kai’s not attempting to steal Lay.”

Jongdae looks at him like he grew another head.

“Woah, you’re dense.”

Junmyeon looks at him with concern.

“What? Is he!?”

Jongdae doesn’t know if he wants to smack the young mayor on the head or laugh at him till next week.

“Chanyeol, you deal with him, I’ll check on Kyungsoo.”

Chanyeol looks at him confused, completely unaware. Before he can attempt to ask, Jongdae is bolting out of the scene, following Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol chances a looks at Junmyeon to see that he is in between fuming and pouting. It’s quite frightening.

Then, in a small but cold voice he asks, “Is Lay going to cheat on me?”

Chanyeol, unlike Jongdae, makes up his mind and smacks Junmyeon.

“Yah, stop being stupid.”

 

 

Kyungsoo has many strengths. Hiding isn’t one of them.

It doesn’t help that Jongdae is one of the best trackers in the entire world. It’s not five minutes after Kyungsoo finds peace that Jongdae invades his space.

He’s gone to the shoreline, where the breeze is calm and the horizon is empty. Here he is to meet his old friend: Solitude.

Instead he meets Jongdae.

“Brooding Kyungsoo is really the worst Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t even flinch, too used to Jongdae’s proclivity to be invasive and uncouth. You can never hide from the hunter, finding things was his forte. The only person who could ever hide from Jongdae effectively was Kai, and part of that was because he teleported. But even then, Jongdae would find him.

“I want to be alone.”

Jongdae sidles up to Kyungsoo’s side, invading any space that he wanted to have.

Jongdae was well aware of Kyungsoo’s need to ruminate. He’s known the man for years, his pattern wasn’t that hard to read. When Kyungsoo is faced with a problem, he attempts to solve it by himself, tries to rebuild himself stronger and more hardened before.

And by all means, Jongdae respects the process. He’s not trying to stop it, just giving the man an extra hand.

“Kai didn’t mean what he said,” Jongdae murmurs, “he looked as taken aback as you.”

“He did. Even if he didn’t mean to, everything he said was true.”

Jongdae doesn’t see Kyungsoo down. Never. The man was made of stone and grit, and just a bit of cotton on his cheeks, but tears were never in his makeup. But Jongdae knows there’s a well somewhere that holds his tears.

Jongdae being a hunter knows that the deadliest attack was the one executed only once. This is why he’s made a map of everyone’s he’s ever known in his head. He knows where an arrow hurts the most. He’s mapped out Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Yoona, even Valera. Taken their psyche apart, threading through their weaknesses and strengths, finding the fatal flaw. He’s done this with everyone, everyone except Kyungsoo.

Because Kyungsoo possesses a fortified will and unwavering courage. He was a stone castle with an unassailable wall. It used to be impenetrable. But that was before Kai.

Like a thief in the night, Kai scaled the fortress of stone and steel, then proceeded to take Kyungsoo’s most guarded treasure—his heart.

It’s true what they say. Walls were created to guard the most fragile things. The sturdiest of hearts belonged to those who walls were paper thin and transparent. These were the people who did not fear pain, did not fear their hearts and what it could do.

An example was Lay. He traipsed the world with an open mind and an unguarded spirit. His heart is experienced when it came to pain, and it has fortified his heart. It enabled him to open himself with nonjudgmental eyes and an empathic heart. That’s why Kai needed him.

“last time we left you alone, you almost let Kai die.”

Kyungsoo quiets at this. He knows that Jongdae doesn’t mean to sting, but it does. It stings so hard.

“Is this gang up on Kyungsoo day?” he asks not trying to move away from Jongdae, but the other one not having it. Edging impossibly closer to the hunched figure and grasping him firm into his grasp.

“No, I’m just here to remind you that not all of your choices are right. Whatever your intent is, you’re not always right.”

“Thanks for reminding me.”

Kyungsoo’s voice is resigned and unbelievably small. Jongdae has Kyungsoo where he wants him. The hunter’s methods of healing were drastic—he believed that for Kyungsoo to become stronger, his spirit had to be destroyed.

Kai had first strike. Now it was a matter of doing the finishing touches.

“You’re our respected leader, but recently you haven’t acted like one. You’ve been acting like a lovesick teenager rejected by his crush.”

Kyungsoo’s head bows lower.

“How can you expect to lead us all when you can’t even handle your emotions around him?” Jongdae asks his tone more cynical know. Provoking. Condescending.

Kyungsoo hated being talked down to.

“Why are you airing your concerns now. You’ve had the entire trip to tell me this. Why now? Stop attacking me for no reason.”

Defenses were up.

“I’m not attacking you. I’m telling you the truth. Something you have a problem revealing, it seems.”

A twitch. Jongdae smirks.

That went straight to the jugular.

Kyungsoo’s body rises from Jongdae’s grasp, head no longer bowed, eyes now livid with frustration and rage.

“I’m sorry! Okay. I’m sorry that I haven’t been the example of a leader. I’m sorry that I got carried away because I cared. I’m so sorry that I wanted to protect everyone from pain. I’m sorry that I thought that telling the truth would ruin Kai’s spirit. I’m sorry that I had to make a decision and made the wrong one. I’m sorry that I wanted Kai to feel less pain. I’m sorry I cared too much.” He bellows at Jongdae, hands firing in every which way as he took out all his frustration.

It’s meager, the drop of liquid falling gracefully down Kyungsoo’s face. But its monumental, the floodgates have opened and all his frustrations have come to surface. All the insecurities bubbling behind the fortified wall was out in the open.

Jongdae rose and gave him a firm hug.

“I’m done,” he whispers into his friend’s ear as he caressed his head. Usually, Kyungsoo would shoo Jongdae’s hand away, but right now he craved tenderness. The weight was heavy. He needed someone to share the burden.

“I just wanted to protect him,” Kyungsoo murmurs, head buried into Jongdae’s chest, breath calming down as Jongdae continues to his back gently.

“I know,” Jongdae says into Kyungsoo’s hair, “But you have to understand that Kai isn’t disabled anymore, you’re not supposed to be his caretaker, you have to be his comrade.”

Kyungsoo huffs, “I can’t be concerned for his safety now?”

For all his great qualities, Kyungsoo can read people really bad sometimes.

“Kai is as much a solider as you are. He’s aware of the sacrifices that is required of him, he knows what he’s doing.”

Kyungsoo remains silent, taking in Jongdae’s voice as he mellows down.

“You also have to note that Kai’s a self-made man, he grew up on the streets, he’s learned how to survive. He’s been doing it every day of his life. The sooner you get that into your thick head the easier it will be to understand why Kai gets so volatile, especially towards you.”

Kyungsoo lifts his head, “Why especially me?”

Dumb. So much dumb. Jongdae ignores this.

“You didn’t give him what he needed. Kai has been frustrated this entire trip, if you haven’t noticed.”

Kyungsoo looks up, “I didn’t notice.”

Jongdae shakes his head in disbelief, “For someone who stares at Kai pretty much the whole, you’re blind.”

“Has he said anything?”

Jongdae give him a good stare down, “He doesn’t have to say anything, it’s so obvious. I think last night was the final straw.”

Kyungsoo thought it was just a little blimp in Kai’s patience, he never considered it to be that monumental.

“He’s been disconnected ever since the incident, he’s just been drifting.”

Kyungsoo feels the guilt creep on him again.

“I-I didn’t know.”

Jongdae notes the defeat in Kyungsoo’s voice. It’s grating.

“Do you know if Kai was a bird, he’d be a hawk,” Jongdae after his friend’s extended silence, “It’s a bird of prey, so it works alone. It hunts with patience and diligence, but when it finds it’s opportunity, it strikes with unparalleled intensity.”

“I don’t know why you’re talking about birds all of a sudd—”

 “Kai’s a hawk, fierce, independent, and strong,” Jongdae doesn’t let Kyungsoo finish, “You treat him like he’s a sparrow.”

Kyungsoo stops for a second and looks at Jongdae, “Right now, he wants to prove to you that he’s a hawk. You’re giving him a hard time.”

“So I’ll lay off him for a while?”

“Bingo. I knew you were smart.”

“Bu—”

“let time takes its course. Let him be.”

Kyungsoo snorts, letting go of Jongdae. The touching has reached its peak, Kyungsoo needs his space again.

“I also think that you’re an amazing leader. Everyone does. But you’ve got to understand that not all your decisions have to be made alone. Talk to us, we’re here and we’re not going anywhere anytime soon. Stop keeping everything to yourself.”

Kyungsoo nods, “Yeah. I will.”

Silence prevails for a moment. The winds rustle through the trees and the day feels more alive now.

“Jongdae?” Kyungsoo says after a belated silence, his voice imploring. Jongdae regards his friend, sees the want in his eyes.

“Can you not tell anyone what happened here?”

Kyungsoo looks desperate. Desperate is not a look one associates with Do Kyungsoo. Jongdae is loving today.

“Dear Kyungsoo, I’m so telling everyone.”

 


 

On the other side of the island Kai is staring at the calm sea at one of the highest points of the island. Lay is standing behind him silently. He’s waiting for Kai to speak, waiting for him to let his frustrations out. Because if the events that happened weren’t an indication, he doesn’t know what is.

“Baekhyun blasted a naga last night by his own power,” Kai says, “He’s learned how to control it.”

Lay nods, he had no doubt that Baekhyun would learn how to control it. Fear was the only thing standing in his way.

“I, on the other hand, don’t know where to begin.”

Kai looks defeated, like he had failed himself.

“It’s a matter of perspective.” Lay moves towards Kai, slowly and stands beside him.

“You’ve never been challenged,” Lay says quietly, “In the town of Everdale, you had the upper hand always. No one gave you any trouble.”

Kai freezes.

This does not go unnoticed, “Oh, someone did?”

Kai can’t seem to move.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

Lay attempts to look at Kai to see if he’s going to get a response, but guesses that Kai’s not moving anytime soon.

“Okay, I’ll talk to myself for a bit.”

Lay looks towards the opposite direction, fixing himself and clearing his throat. He takes two steps back and Kai is still silently looking into the horizon. Lay takes in the breeze, enjoying how the tall reeds dance against his breeches.

“So, Kai,” he says to the direction of the sea, “how are things going?”

Kai doesn’t turn back, too engrossed with his own thoughts.

“Well, everything’s swell, except that I let out all my frustration on this guy I really like.”

Kai’s eyes bulge as he turns back, Lay is doing a very convincing rendition of Kai, from the voice to his weird mannerisms. It’s eerie and annoying at the same time. He expects Lay to stop once he’s looked back.

But apparently, the show must go on.

“Why did you let it out on him?” Lay says facing the sea. His voice is back to normal now, his face etched with concern towards ‘Kai.’

Lay moves to face the opposite direction, “Well, I’ve been silently frustrated for the longest time, but I didn’t want to tell anyone because I’m stupid like that.”

Lay reverts to himself, face once again etched in worry. Kai has been demoted into an audience as Lay continues his pay of Kai’s emotions.

“And why would you hide your feelings and frustrations from us?”

Back comes Kai.

“Because I’ve lived my life alone, so I don’t know how to confront my own feelings. It’s especially difficult when I’m overcome with such strong feelings of attraction towards this one person.”

Lay does it in a very obnoxious manner, heightening his tone, and pouting his mouth to the point that its only his lower lip that can be seen.

“Hey, you’re going overboard, I don’t pout like that?”

If Lay hears him, he does a great job of ignoring every evidence of his existence.

“Well maybe you can air out some of your frustrations. But you know if you don’t want to, then I can force it out of you, because I can be very persuasive.”

Kai gulps. He remembers very vividly the last time lay was “persuasive.” He takes steps to stop lay from continuing his little play, pushing him aside to look him straight in the face.

“I get it. I’ll tell you.”

Lay smirks in triumph. He gets himself out of Kai’s grasp and fixes his robes.

“I don’t know why I asked you, honestly.”

Lay quirks his eyebrows, “Cause I’m your one and only savior, Kai.”

“Whatever.”

Lay snickers, taking a seat by the edge, watching the tranquil sea ebb and flow in the distance. He lets the wind manhandle his hair, lets it take caress him with wild abandon. 

“Don’t tell me, you should try talking to the wind. It hears you, listens then moves one.”

Kai doesn’t understand, Lay is sitting with his head bowed down, letting the wind take hold of his hair, billowing carelessly in the gust.

Then the minstrel lifts his head.

“JUNMYEON IS MAKING ME CRAZY!” he screams loudly, resolutely with so much intent and confusion that even it hits Kai.

But as soon as the shrill cry resounds in the air, it is gone, brought away by the flow of the world. At one moment it pounded Kai’s heart with so much emotion, then the next its gone, the sound snuffed out by the rushing caress of the world.

It hears you, listens then moves on.

Kai takes a step beside Lay, who has reverted to dangling his head against the gust. He takes a deep breath and thinks. He lets the frustration that has been clouding his mind take root. Kai lets it take over.

“I’M LOST. I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!” he wails into the oncoming gust, his voice cracking, his throat getting rough with the intensity of his scream.

“I’VE LOST MY MOST IMPORTANT POSSESSION! I CAN’T THINK STRAIGHT! I WANT TO BE BETTER! I WANT TO!” he pauses and catches his breath. He’s shaking, the emotional trill reverberating through every muscle of his body. Pain, frustration, and hatred tingling through every inch of his skin.

“I WANT TO BE STRONGER! I DON’T WANT TO HURT HIM ANYMORE! I DON’T WANT HIM TO SEE ME LIKE THIS! I WANT HIM—” he takes a breath, “—THEM TO RELY ON ME. I WANT THEM TO TRUST ME!” he screams. His throat is hoarse now, voice scratching against parched overused muscles.

“I want to trust myself.” It comes out as a whisper.

Kai is breathing heavy, his body is shaking, his eyes are watering. The world loomed large within his sights, but suddenly, it doesn’t. The burden that was too heavy for his shoulders, did not seem so heavy anymore. Suddenly his eyes cleared, his chest lightened and his breath cleared.

The wind hears, listens then moves on.

Lay is suddenly beside him, arms splayed across his shoulder. He reels Kai in, and hugs him tightly.

“Better?”

Kai lets go of him and nods.

“Better.”

Lay smiles, his deep dimples making a full display, its charming and bright—comforting.

“I knew you had things figured out,” he says, “You’re an introspective man, you think and brood, you internalize and find fault in yourself. That’s why it’s so easy for you to become better. You’re aware of your weakness.”

Lay looks at the horizon again, looks at the deep blue ocean, “But sometimes, you’re too aware. Sometimes you’re too aware of your weakness to see your strengths,” Lay looks at him with a stern gaze, “For you to become stronger, you have to have a clear mind and a sound heart. You have to stop pushing him away, he’s only ever been concerned for you.”

Kai looks down, “I know. But I can take care of myself, he has to stop treating me like a child.”

“I’ve told him this countless times, but he holds a very special place for you it seems,” Lay smirks, “so much so that he does not want to listen to reason, and we all know if that boy is anything, it’s reason.”

“I know what you’re doing, stop it.” Kai replies, shoving lay good naturedly, “There’s no time for those things.”

Lay shakes his head, “On the contrary, this is the perfect time. Look at me, in my prime old age participating in the ancient dance of love once again.”

“We’re heading for a war, it’s not yet here, but we all know it’s coming. Love’s only going to hinder our progress.”

Lay shakes his head. He stretches and lets the warmth and the breeze enter his body, lets the world takeover.

“On the contrary my dear friend, love makes us stronger. It strengthens our resolve. And when the time comes, love will carry us forward.”

Kai takes a seat again, watching his comrade in fascination.

“You’re so optimistic about love, it’s refreshing.”

Lay laughs. It’s light and it flutters over the open air, pirouetting across Kai’s ear, tickling with mischief and glee.

“For people so young, you’re all so uptight. You’ve been given such a burden that you’ve forgotten how to be young. Love makes life so vibrant, you should try it.” He’s facing Kai again, face poised in a coy smile. The sun makes the minstrel radiate in the afternoon sun, the shadows cascade down his delicate frame like a robe of satin, his eyes sparkling with mirth and lightness.

Lay in his age looks the most youthful, the most carefree, the most childlike. But hidden deep within his eyes lies a well of wisdom and pain. Beyond it is a man whose heart moves so delicately against the thrum of the world it seems that he’s dancing.

“I forget that you’re really smart.”

“I take that as a compliment.  It makes surprising you guys with my wisdom all the more satisfying.”

Kai smiles.

“Thank you.”

Lay takes a step towards Kai and places his hand over his heart. Lay closes his eyes and listens. He takes his time, breathes in, and feels the beat.

His eyes flutter open and he smiles.

“Now that your heart has settled, we can begin.”

Kai nods, allowing lay to guide him back to the edge of the cliff.

“Your energies are not only propelled by training, most of it comes your mind and your fortitude,” Lay says picking up a blade of grass. He closes his eyes and lets his energies flow into the blade. It glows green, vibrant light enshrouding the grass.

“If what you say is true, then last night, in his most vulnerable state, in Baekhyun’s most fragile position, he believed. You have to find your core, and to do that I think we have to pay our dear Baekhyun a visit.”
 


 

They arrive to a packed room.

Junmyeon, Jessi, and surprisingly, Minho were seated in one corner of the room discussing something with Kyungsoo and Jongdae. In another corner, the victim of the attack last night is reluctantly perched on Chanyeol’s lap, the taller one feeding him a spoonful of soup.

Kai goes straight for Baekhyun, completely missing Kyungsoo’s wanting face as he passed by. He pauses a few feet from the bear feeding her cub, afraid of the scene unfolding before him.

“Um, I don’t know what to say,” Kai says looking at Baekhyun’s sour looking face, and Chanyeol’s very concerned one, “Maybe, why?”

“Chanyeol thinks my entire body is paralyzed because I told him that I still couldn’t move, so thinks treating me like a two month old infant was the wisest thing to do.”

Kai can’t stop the laught that escapes his lips, the entire thing just looked too absurd even for the two.

“Wow, the naga vanquisher relegated to baby overnight, quite a hero you are.”

Baekhyun attempts push himself out of Chaneol’s grasp, but Chanyeol proves to be too strong for Baekhyun’s still recovering limbs.

“Baekhyun, I do suggest you don’t move for a while, your body is still in shock from last night,” lay says. The minstrel has taken a seat beside Junmyeon, who gives Kai a rather sour look as he clung on to lay. Beside them Jessi looks charmed with the sight and Minho just looks resigned. Kai takes a glance at Jongdae, who’s nudging Kyungsoo to his direction. Kyungsoo obviously reluctant to take a step forward, but Kai disregards them, choosing to go back to talking to mama bear and her cub.

“Lay don’t encourage him, please.” Baekhyun pleads. He looks absultely small against Chanyeol’s massive form, it’s endearing.

“Shush and eat your soup,” Chanyeol says trying to permit another scoop of soup into Baekhyun’s mouth.

The other boy is successful in swatting Chanyeol away, but is still confined in Chanyeol’s prison of limbs.

“Baekhyun, before you start feeding, can you answer some questions for me about last night?”

Baekhyun sneers at him and attempts to throw the spoon Chanyeol’s feeding him, but the taller man manages to veer the spoon away from Baekhyun’s grubby figures.

“Why is everyone torturing me? I just got attacked and almost died, why aren’t you guys concerned with my well-being?” Baekhyun whines still clutched tightly into Chanyeol’s lap.

Lay shrugs, “It’s been an emotional day, we’re tired.”

“Baekhyun, the more you complain, the more your manservant is going to clutch on to you,” Kai points out.

Baekhyun huffs and crosses his arms, staring at Kai with a growl.

“Anyway, you told me that you can control your powers.”

Baekhyun nods and Chanyeol is visibly shocked, so much so that he drops Baekhyun, so that he can kneel in front of him and look at him properly.

“You controlled your powers?” he asks, eyes warm and glimmering with a soft but resounding hope.

Baekhyun smiles. His smile, unlike lay’s, is subtle. When Kai saw lay smile this morning, it was of contentment and calm. Against the blistering winds of the cliffs by the sea, lay smiled like a peaceful soul.

Baekhyun smile wasn’t like that. Baekhyun’s eyes crinkle just a bit, his lips upturning just the slightest. His eyes shine with pride, with bashful contentment.

Baekhyun smiles that of a man who defied his own doubts. It’s of humble accomplishment.

An accomplishment Chanyeol told him he could if he put his mind to it.

Baekhyun nods, eyes filling with so much happiness.

Chanyeol grins, his of unabashed happiness.

Kai doesn’t ruin their moment, he stands up and walks to lay.

He didn’t need to hear Baekhyun’s answer. He knew. Kai knew what propelled Baekhyun, in his most vulnerable moment, to persevere and transcend.

At that moment his spirit wanted Chanyeol to be proud, but more importantly, at that moment, Baekhyun wanted have pride in himself.

He gives him a smile, one of thanks, one that says everything and nothing at the same time.

Lay understands.

He doesn’t glance at Kyungsoo, not now. He’ll come back when he’s worthy to stand before him.

He’ll come back when he’s found pride in himself again.

A pop. Kai is gone.

 


 

Author’s Note:

An actual chapter, praise be to Jesus.

This chapter has been long overdue, and I apologize for making everyone wait for so long. Things are not go swimmingly in the land of Kaisoo, but as they say distance makes the heart grow fonder.

But onto other things. This arc is nearing its and things are about to go down, so get ready for some action.

While we’re at it. I want to thank all my subscribers and commenters. (I may not answer, but know that I appreciate each and every one of your comments.) Thanks for supporting this and my other works, especially Baekhyun Attempts to Understand Love, the response has been overwhelming.

Pleae continue to support me and my writing, there’s still a lot of things that’s set for this fic. We’re just at the tip of the iceberg, which is both a blessing and a curse.

But I just want to thank all of you for supporting me, I appreciate it very much.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please leave your comments on Kai, Kyungsoo, maybe even stupid jealous Junmyeon in the comments below.

Till next time!