The Long, Winding Path Home

Songs of the Abyss

Chapter 6: The Long, Winding Path Home

Everspring Lake, January 9

Morning came faster than anyone expected. Everyone feeling unusually rested as the sun came up, their eyes adjusting to their land before them. Everspring lake was more majestic in the morning, when the sun touches the flowers and the serene waters of the tranquil lake reflect the rays of the sun, almost illuminating the world before them. The area smelled of fresh flowers and fresh water. The breeze cool on their skin as they woke up.

Baekhyun was the first one up, feeling rested and strangely excited at the adventure that lay before them. He walked to the edge of the lake enjoying the solitary peace that it granted him. He is peculiarly at peace with the entire orc predicament, of course it was quite a terrifying experience, but he was out of it for most of the ideal, the clearest memory being the moment he was knocked out of consciousness. He is more concerned about what was going to happen during their journey. In truth, Baekhyun was just excited. It seems, what Baekhyun was really looking for was a place he could call home.

He feels a presence beside him and finds Chanyeol standing beside him.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Chanyeol muses. Baekhyun nods absent mindedly, his not eyes not leaving the water calmly lapping before them.

Baekhyun then remembers the events from last night, and his not so ideal greeting to his rescuer.

“By the way, I wanted to thank you for what you did last night,” he says looking at Chanyeol. It’s the first time Baekhyun fully looks at Chanyeol, and though he had realized that the boy was handsome, the boy almost looked regal in the sunlight, despite the gashes on his face. Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun and flashes a large smile, one that reaches his ears. One that is bright and wonderful. Baekhyun is quite flustered.

“No, worries.” Chanyeol says his eyes crinkling. He face then turns into one of realization, as he reaches into one of his pockets.

“Here, Jongdae wanted me to give you this.” Chanyeol says while giving the other half of Baekhyun’s glove. He murmurs his thanks, then accepts the glove.

“Though, I personally like your hands without the cover,” Chanyeol quips, his lips once again shaped into a sweet smile.

Baekhyun freezes at the comment, “Please don’t they’re nothing but trouble.”

Chanyeol is taken aback by Baekhyun’s reaction, but soon realizes why the boy had reacted that way, “I get it, you’re afraid. It’s okay.” he insists.

“But don’t ever be ashamed of your hands or the power they have, like everything Gaia made, it’s beautiful.”

The two remain silent, Baekhyun still holding the leather glove in his right hand, his eyes staring at the rocks by the bank.

Chanyeol reaches for Baekhyun’s glove, then grabs Baekhyun’s bare hand. Baekhyun is surprised at the action and moves to take his hands back, but Chanyeol’s grip is firm. Before Baekhyun can even protest, he feels a hand guide the leather glove into his own. He looks up to see Chanyeol gingerly placing the leather onto his hand, once he’s done, the taller boy let’s go.

“There!” he says happily, “All gloved up.” He flashes another smile towards Baekhyun, the smaller boy flustered at the gesture.

“I hope one day, you can show everyone how beautiful your hands are without feeling the need to hide them. It’s such a waste.” Chanyeol murmurs against Baekhyun’s ear. He then steps back.

“Now, let’s head back before Kai tries to strangle Kyungsoo.”

Baekhyun can only nod and follow Chanyeol as he skips back to where they camped. Baekhyun feeling a little too warm for his own liking.

Once the two were back they were pleased to see everyone up and about. The lake had somehow rejuvenated everyone, well, everyone with the exception of Kai, who was now arguing with Kyungsoo about being carried on the smaller boy’s back. It looks like even the lake couldn’t fully treat the damage the demonic magic had done on Kai’s body.

“Kyungsoo, please stop trying to carry me, I said I can walk.”

“You cannot walk, Kai. You can’t even get up from your seat.” Kyungsoo retorts pointing to a still seated Kai.

“I just like my position.” Kai responds half-heartedly, his eyes gazing at anything but Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo could only roll his eyes at the stubbornness of the thief. “Yeah, and Chanyeol is smart, now come, grab my shoulders.” Kyungsoo then squatted in front of the boy, the Stone Sentinel’s now right in front of Kai.

“Can you keep your out of the immediate vicinity of my eyes?” Kai complains, “Why can’t I ride on Yoona or something, or Chanyeol?”
 

Kyungsoo heaves a sigh, now looking at the boy, “Again, Yoona is still tired from sealing the demon eye, that’s why she’s riding with Jongdae, and Chanyeol doesn’t want to carry you. Anyway it’s easier for me, I’m stronger than Chanyeol anyway.” Kyungsoo explains, once again getting in position, his once again in front of Kai.

Kai almost hurls at the thought of flying.

“Chanyeol can you carry me instead?” Kai pleads.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun each release a chuckle, “No can do, this is too entertaining. And what Kyungsoo says is true, I’ll probably tire out half way through the trek, it’d best if Kyungsoo carry you.”

Kai finally sighing in defeat raises his hands to Kyungsoo’s shoulders, the smaller boy propping Kai on his back before heaving the boy’s legs on either side of himself.

“That wasn’t so hard, was it?” Kyungsoo patronizes, his tone taunting.

“Shut it, you midget.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes before looking at Baekhyun, “Was he always this difficult?”

Baekhyun giggles, “In his defense, he was quite useful for most of the trip.”

“Most of the trip?” Kai blurts from Kyungsoo’s back, “What do you mean most of the trip?”

Baekhyun gave him a nervous glance, “Well, you had your moments.”

“Like?”

“You’re not really the best when it comes to emergency situations. You also lack common sense from time to time.” Kai gasps at Baekhyun.

“After I clothed and fed you.” Kai scoffs, now looking to the front, “Trudge on my stead, adventure awaits.”

“I’ll throw you into the lake if you don’t shut up.” Kyungsoo grunts in reply.

“Your mission was to bring Baekhyun and myself to Sanctuary, right?” Kai states ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair, “That means I’m important. What would your dear leader say once she finds out that you left a disabled member of The 12 on the road?”

Kyungsoo pulls a face, something between disbelief and awe at the tenacity of the boy. Kyungsoo always had the last word with these types of things. Chanyeol likes this guy.

The journey is fairly uneventful, save for the occasional bickering from Kyungsoo and Kai. After a few hours, the party have left the Everspring Forest and made their way south.

“So, how do we get to Sanctuary?” Baekhyun asks the general party as they head down an incline to a thicker part of the woods.

“We’re heading down to south until we find the Gnarled Woods.” Chanyeol says from behind him, the pair being the last ones to get off the incline and back onto flat land.

“Wow, more woods. What a joy.” Kai scoffs from Kyunsoo’s shoulders.

“We’re going to a sacred grove under the care of druids, be surprised if there are no trees.” Chanyeol quips, trailing behind the duo.

Baekhyun was following them, his eyes peering at their two new companions. He realizes that he only knew their names, but nothing else.

“Hey, how did you find out about your powers?” Baekhyun asks, the question earning him glances from everyone in front of him.

Chanyeol was the first one who spoke up, “I was playing with my sister in a field one day, when this wolf comes out of the woods. My sister was trying to protect me, but she really doesn’t do well with animals, so I found myself facing the wolf instead of her. I just raised my hands, then I a torrent of flame just spewed out. I fainted after that.” He says, slowing down his pace so that he could talk freely with Baekhyun. The boy’s voice laced with nostalgia.

“How about you, Black Devil, how did you discover your powers?”

Kai looked behind him and gave them a smirk, “Funny that one. I was going to nick some medicine to give a kid I found on the street who had a raging fever. I was about ready to sneak in, when I sneezed. Next thing I know I’m in inside the potion master’s storage.” Kai explains.

“Wow, I’m surprised. Never thought of you as that type.” Kyungsoo quips, his voice pleasantly surprised.

“What?”

“A decent human being.”

Kai smacks a smiling Kyungsoo on the head.

“How about you, mister prince of the Krag Mountains?”

“Huh, how did you know I was the prince of the Krags?” Kyungsoo asks genuinely surprised.

“You’re a Do. Your bloodline is plastered on every history book about the Krags.” Kai explains, “Even an idiot could have figured that out.”

“Wait, you’re really the prince of the Krags?” Baekhyun asks surprised. He scurries towards Kyungsoo giving him a good look over. Baekhyun has caught a glimpse of royalty, and truly Kyungsoo had the face for it. There was an elegance in how he looked, and even though he was covered in sweat and a bit of dirt, there was an undeniable dignity in his features.

“Not just any prince, he was the crown prince.” Chanyeol remarks, appearing on the other side of Kyungsoo.

“Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo scolds, his eyes boring into Chanyeol with a hint of pleading.

“Oh right, touchy subject.”

“Wait, Chanyeol said you were, as in you’re not anymore?” Kai asks, lowering his head so that it was right next to Kyungsoo’s ear.

“What happened?” Baekhyun asks, his face concerned.

“Nothing happened, Chanyeol is just being an idiot.” Kyungsoo spits, his eyes glaring dangerously at Chanyeol.

“You’re so adorable when you’re angry, Soo. I wish Jongdae were here to see this.” Chanyeol says while cooing at the disgruntled man. Kai just starts chuckling, the vibrations from his laughter resonating throughout Kyungsoo’s body.

Thankfully for Kyungsoo, he hears someone calling his name from afar. The group fixes their gaze to the sound of the disturbance and find Jongdae and Yoona standing in front of a large expanse of dark, twisting trees.

The path to the darkened woods slowly lost the lush greenery of the forest before it. Replaced with what seemed like dark, undernourished earth. The ground had small cracks, a clear sign of the lack of moisture. It was like there was a line that divided the normally plush forest of the Great Woods with the lifeless atmosphere of the Gnarled woods. The dark trees stretched as far as the eyes could see, Baekhyun could estimate it expanding about a few or more miles before them. Baekhyun was expecting a grand landscape of trees and a clear waters, not death and decay.

Baekhyun visibly deflated as they approached the pair in front of them. Their faces looking calm and composed, Yoona even looked rather excited.

“Are you going to leave us here to die or something? What is the place?” Kai asks. Baekhyun was thankful that Kai was rather brash and loud, it saved Baekhyun the pain of voicing his regrets himself.

“It’s the entrance to Sanctuary,” Kyungsoo responds flatly.

“Sanctuary is somewhere in this clump of death?” Kai scoffs, pointing rather glumly at the darkened woods before them.

“It’s an enchantment,” Yoona answers. The druid looking a bit livelier than when they saw her this morning.

“How are you Yoona? You look better.” Baekhyun says, approaching the two. Yoona offers him a soft smile, “Better. I think the proximity to Sanctuary is helping me recuperate.”

“Why? Do you live of the essence of death?” Kai once again complains, his voiced tinged with a load of sarcasm. Kyungsoo directs a well-aimed shot at the boy’s face before answering him, “If you could shut up for a second, Yoona will explain everything.”

“Wow, I never thought there was someone who would irk Kyungsoo more than Chanyeol.” Jongdae says while brushing Gertrude’s head. The eagle cawing gently at the affection.

“Well, as I was saying, the forest is enchanted to keep unwanted visitors away. Only the people marked by Valera are permitted to enter.” Yoona explains.

“Then how are we going to enter Sanctuary?” Baekhyun asks, his face worried.

Yoona gives him a knowing smile, “Sanctuary was created by Gaia, and it is the birthplace of The 12. When the gods gave a part of themselves to the earth, it was Gaia who brought them here. She created Sanctuary to serve as the guardian of the 12.” Yoona explains.

“Wait, what do you mean by guardian, isn’t Sanctuary a place?” Baekhyun asks.

“Exactly as I said, Baekhyun, Sanctuary serves as The 12’s guardian and safe haven. Sanctuary is a living, breathing entity.”

Kai and Baekhyun shared a look of absolute awe.

“Originally, Sanctuary only permitted the entrance of its wards. However, when Gaia had to return to the world of the gods, she gave one order for Sanctuary. She told Sanctuary that it had one more ward, a druid whose power and purity outshone normal human beings. That druid happened to be Valera Greymoon, the leader of Gaia’s Hand. Ever since, only those who were marked by Valera were allowed to enter Sanctuary.”

 “But it doesn’t explain how we can enter.” Kai interrupted, having recovered his voice after Kyungsoo’s smack.

“I was getting to that.” Yoona says patiently, “You see, Valera was only given permission by the merit of her power and her sincerity. That’s why Sanctuary opened itself to her. However, Sanctuary will forever be loyal to The 12, you’ve been welcome here since your birth.” Yoona says, taking a step to into the darkened woods. Her body soon disappeared into the darkened woods, her soft strides slowly fainting into the darkness.

“That’s why I was able to get in on top of Gertrude. It wasn’t a coincidence, Sanctuary was calling me back home.” Jongdae smiles, also stepping into the mangled forest. His body soon fading into the blackness much like the druid before him.

“And like us, Sanctuary will welcome you. Because this is your home. It’s our home.” Chanyeol smiles, following the other two into the dark forest. Disappearing into the shadowed woods.  

“Are you two ready?” Kyungsoo asks. Baekhyun and Kai share a look. There’s understanding in them. The two had recognized that this was a choice would change their lives forever. It was a large step, one that required a proper breath. As the two nod their heads and look into the darkened forest, they felt the sudden rush of their hearts beating into their chests.

Kyungsoo heads in first, Kai’s head bobbing slightly as the two slowly entered the dark. Baekhyun gave a final glance at the forest behind him.

The sun was brilliant in the sky and the wind blew serenely through the ancient wood. Baekhyun looked to the horizon, somewhere across the sky was Everdale, the place he had fond memories of. The place he grew, but never had the chance to call home. It was full of warmth and safety, laughter, and love, but Baekhyun had never seen Everdale as more than a concrete jungle. It was difficult parting with it, but altogether uplifting. And though the road was treacherous, Baekhyun realized that he had never looked back. This was the first time he sought the little port town of his childhood. Because Baekhyun never left home, he realized he was never home. So he looks back into the mangled wood, the trees standing in gaunt disproportion, the terrain blanketed in sorrow. He took a breath and single step.

Hopefully he could find home here.

Baekhyun glances into the darkness as he enters the woods. He was greeted by a dullness that he had never felt the days he was traveling through the Great Woods. It was heavy feeling in his gut, one that made him feel queasy and empty inside, like his innards had been flushed out, only leaving a dark pitiful hole of nothing. It felt like a void had manifested within him, taking with it the warmth that he felt, replaced by a gnawing emptiness and restlessness. He looks for his companions, but sees no one, there was no one in sight. He tries to scream but nothing comes from his mouth. Suddenly he feels light headed and heavy. It’s like he’s being weighed down by something, like a hundred hands pushing on him and his spirit. Constantly. Fervently.

Baekhyun shrivels to his knees, his hands clasping for air that didn’t seem to exist.

Then his hands began to tingle.

Baekhyun’s eyes shoot out. The feeling was all too familiar, images of the ruined orphanage raced through his head, as hot tears began flowing down his face. He hesitantly took off his gloves, afraid of what was beneath them.

As he took them of, he noticed that the constellations on his hands, which usually swirled calmy into the center, were now growing frazzled and was now in a state of total disarray. Baekhyun didn’t know what was happening. He set his hands to the ground hoping that he could see it better, but this proved to affect the energy in his hands more. Now they started to shake, he prayed that what happened then did not happen now, but he knew that settling of the heat in his palms, the gradual tingling.

Baekhyun closes his eyes, anticipating the worst. However, he was surprised to find that the tingling had stopped. He opens his eyes and finds that the energy particles have stopped moving, and now have settled in the shape of a twelve pronged star. The insignia on his hands starts to twinkle, then there’s a shaking. Baekhyun looks around and sees the dark, mangled wood have started moving, the roots ravaging through the earth and moving forward. The trees bending together and melding into each other, the roots curling and intertwining with each other, converging on a spot a few meter ahead of Baekhyun. Wood and vines start to converge, slowly creeping upward in an arc. The thick roots clinging onto each other as it forms a perfect circle. Baekhyun also feels the heaviness in his stomach leave him, now he could breathe properly.

He notices that his hands were still in the formation. Baekhyun rose and took a step forward. The hand begins to shake, as if it was agitated and impatient. He takes another step, and once again his hands tingle in anticipation. His strides become more even, more regular, and his hands reacts accordingly. With each step taken, a shaking, Finally, he finds himself in front of the wooden gateway. His hands now twitching in untamed glee.

A breath and a step.

He takes the leap into the gate and feels like he’s permeating a wall of force. There’s a slight hesitance in the air, but Baekhyun passes serenely. He places both feet on the ground, his eyes still closed.

Once he opens his eyes he finds himself in state of shock.

Because in front of Baekhyun was no longer the sullen trees or a darkened woods. What was in front of Baekhyun was soft sunlight and a view unlike he had ever seen before. He realizes that he is on a cliff. He looks beyond the cliff and sees a rushing river beneath him. Baekhyun steps forward and sees one a sight that took his breath away.

In the distance was the largest tree had seen in his life, a sprawling giant that towered over the entire expanse of land and water. Baekhyun can also see a large edifice jutting out of the bark, a large ornate palace hewn from the very wood of the tree.

 He looks behind him and sees that the gnarled woods was still there, like a wall of death covering the beauty within. He can see the gateway from where he came slowly receding into itself, turning into the gnarled woods.

“Baekhyun!”

A voice calls, Baekhyun gathers himself and looks over to the sound of the voice and finds Chanyeol beckoning him from a short distance. Next to him was the rest of the party. Baekhyun heads over to the rest.

“Kai, please stop squirming you’re making both our lives more complicated than it already is.” Kyungsoo grumbles as Kai starts squirming in the smaller boys grasp.

“My legs are so weird.” Kai says, once again shaking his in means to try to move his legs.

“What do you mean?”

“I can feel them, but I can’t move them.” Kai whines, trying once again to squirm out of Kyungsoo’s grasp.

Kyungsoo doesn’t respond, only steadies his ward on his back, his eyes calculating and contemplative.

Yoona speaks from the din and noise from the rest of the party, “Let’s go, the bridge is this way.”

The rest follow Yoona as she walks to the edge of the cliff, the crevice wide.

“There’s no bridge.” Kai complains.

“Once again, patience completely overtakes your insipid mind.” Kyungsoo remarks moving closer to the edge.

Then, as if on que, large roots start sprouting from either side of the cliffs, each racing to meet in the center, entwining itself creating a large bridge of mangled wood.

“Is this good enough for you?” Jongdae smirks, walking ahead with Yoona.

“Everyone’s on my case today.” Kai sighs bugrudglenly.

“That’s because all you energy has been directed to your mouth, it’s not the most pleasant thing.”

“And you’re just barrels of sunshine.”

Chanyeol comes close to Baekhyun to whisper something, “I haven’t seen Kyungsoo this happy in ages.”

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol pointedly, “Isn’t it the other way around?”

“Kyungsoo hasn’t met anyone who can keep up with him like this, it’s a challenge, and he likes it.” Chanyeol smiles.

Baekhyun takes a look at the said boy and does notice something different about him, something, he looked a bit less haggard, a bit looser, and it seems that it was the doing of the loud mouth on his back.

They made their way onto the other side to be greeted by men in brown, leather armor and scimitars similar to Yoona’s standing by a large oaken gate which led to a small opening with a large lift which was rigged to the tree. On their chests was an insignia of a piece of bark shaped into a shield.

The two bowed and opened the gates allowing the company to enter. Yoona led them into the lifts, and slowly they began to rise. Baekhyun could see the expanse of the great woods as they ascend higher and higher until they reach upper regions of the large tree.

“What is this thing?” Kai asks.

“It’s the Heart of the Forest, the first and grandest tree in the Great Woods, from it churns the entire life force of The Great Woods and within it lies the life energies of Sanctuary.”

“Wow, so it’s really important then.”

“Did you not hear what I just said, of course it’s important,” Kyungsoo snaps.

“You’re too easy.” Kai smirks.

“Damnit! We didn’t send an owl again.” Jongdae then remarks, his face looking crestfallen.

“Goodness, Ryeowook will have our heads for this,” Kyungsoo groans, his face also turning into a frown.

“What are the chances that he’s not there waiting for us.” Chanyeol sighs sadly.

“It’s as likely as Kyungsoo finding it in himself to admit that he sews on his spare time.” Jongdae groans.

“Ah, so next to impossible.” Chanyeol sighs.

“Soo, you sew?” Kai says rather happily, his tone mischievous as he bonks Kyungsoo on the head.

“Shut it. I don’t” Kyungsoo says rather quietly, which just makes Kai smirk wider.

“Give the man a break, he’s just doing his job.” Yoona chastises.

“But, it would be nice to come back without hearing him squeak about how we ruined his schedules. It’s not our fault Valera insists that we meet her as soon as we get back.” Jongdae scoffs.

“Who’s Ryeowook?” Baekhyun asks.

“He’s Valera’s assistant, he organizes her schedule, who she needs to meet with and what she has to take care of for the day.” Jongdae explains, rolling his eyes.

“Why do you guys hate him so much?” Kai then asks.

“Well, Valera always gets a debriefing of quests when teams come back. Normally, the debriefings are done after a day, but she’s always asks to meet us as soon as we get back.” Jongdae explains sullenly, “So, he asks us to send him an owl when we head back, but we always forget to do it. So when we go back he starts screaming at us for ruining his schedule and lecturing us on the Valera’s busy schedule.”

“Nasty.”

“I never knew so much rage noise could come out of something so small.” Chanyeol sighs while he leant on the railing of the lift.

At that the lift comes to a stop at a pathway that swirled upward. They followed the path into a large courtyard hewn from the very bark of the wood. There waiting was a rather small man with an impish face facing the party. He had quite a frazzled look and was pacing back and forth from where he was situated. He spots the party and immediately lights up.

“Finally!” He squeaked in a high pitched tone, “What did I say about sending an owl when you’re getting back!? Don’t you know how busy Valera is?”

Ryeowook squeaks shaking a rather large stick at Chanyeol and Jongdae, who were very large compared to him.

“I expected this from the likes of these two, but Kyungsoo I expected more from you.” He chastises. Kyungsoo just bowing his head in apology, while Jongdae and Chanyeol started to snicker from the background.

“Anyway, Valera is waiting for you. She’s waiting in the War Room. You know where to go, scram.” He shouts before scampering to another room, fuming as he did.

They walk through the double doors into a long corridor, at the end was a spiral staircase. They climbed up and went up until they reached an entrance opposite of where they entered. It led to another long hallway, at the end of which was another set of double doors. Yoona stopped at the double doors and knocked twice.

A short pause, then a faint voice from the other side said, “Enter.” Yoona then proceeded to turn the knobs.

The group entered into a half-moon shaped room. On their side of the room were rows of bookshelves following the concave of the room. Above them they could see the walls curve into a half-dome, the ancient wood still in pristine condition. In the center was a large table with exactly twelve chairs. At the far end of the room were large glass doors which led to a vast balcony overlooking Sanctuary.

By the doors, looking at the view was a tall woman draped in white, silken robes. Embroidered at the back was the symbol of Gaia’s hand in brilliant gold. The woman had long blond hair that fell to her abdomen. She held a staff of pure white on her right hand. She turned slowly to face the party. Her face was calm and delicate. She had a thin nose and small lips, her eyes glittered a brilliant blue, like the shallow seas, delicate and vibrant. Her eyes crinkled as she saw the party, her lips upturning into a delicate smile.

“Welcome back, everyone.”

All the members, with the exception of Baekhyun, greeted the head of Gaia’s Hand with a respectful bow. Baekhyun realizes to late and ends up tripping on himself, murmuring apologies as he got himself up again, face flushing in embarrassment.

Once the others had gone back to a standing position, she gestured for them to take a seat. Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo all proceeded to sit opposite the woman, Kyungsoo plopping Kai into the seat next to him. Yoona, on the other hand, elected to stand behind the trio.

Baekhyun still could not move, his feet unmoving, his heart unhinged.

The woman noticed this and looks at Baekhyun concerned, “My dear, take a seat.” Baekhyun sputters something incomprehensible, before bowing then scuttling into the seat next to Chanyeol. The taller one offering a comforting smile. He gives a nod of appreciation, then peers over to the woman standing behind him, offering the seat next to him.

Yoona responds with a shake of her head. Baekhyun gives her a confused expression, but before Yoona could respond, Valera speaks up.

“My dear, do not fret. Though I’m sure Yoona appreciates the gesture, she is not permitted to take that seat, or any seat for that matter.”

Baekhyun gave her an incredulous look, “Why not?” he didn’t want it to come off as rude, but it did. Baekhyun immediately covers his mouth right as the words escape his lips.

Valera, unmoved by the sudden outburst, merely chuckles, “You are a kind boy, but you see, those seats are only for The 12. Even I am not permitted to sit there.” She explains, her smile never leaving her face.

Baekhyun blushes in embarrassment and bows his head, not reaching the gaze of the archdruid. There’s a silence before Valera takes steps closer to the table, her staff clanking at each step. Once she is right in front of the five, she speaks.

“I am glad that you are all here safe and sound. Now, I know that you have travelled far and are in dire need of rest, but I hope you could spare a bit of your time to explain what had happened to you all.” She says rather warmly.

“But before that, please tell me your names,” she smiles.

Baekhyun stands up and bows, “My name is Byun Baekhyun, it’s an honor to be here.”

Kai stifled a giggle as he looked over at Baekhyun before he looked at the woman, “Sorry, I can’t bow or stand for that matter, but my name is Kai.”

The woman nods, “It is a pleasure to meet you, Byun Bakhyun, The Dawn’s Reckoning,” she says while bowing.

“Also you, Kai, The Arcane Assasin.” Also bowing to Kai.

“I am Valera Greymoon, Grand Priestess of Gaia and Praetor of the Hand of Gaia. I formally welcome you back.”

She then fixes her gaze on Kyungsoo, “Congratulations on a job well done, Kyungsoo, I expected nothing less.”

Kyungsoo stands, bowing his head, “Thank you, thank you for trusting me with this task.”

“I hope that I can trust you with more tasks in the future then.” Valera says lightheartedly. Causing Kyungsoo to blush profusely, his rather large cheeks tinting deep crimson.

“Now, please tell this old woman the events of your adventure.”

Kyungsoo began retelling in detail what happened throughout their journey. Beginning with their arrival at Everdale, finding traces of Baekhyun and Kai in the forest, finding out about the strange movements, and finally ending with their battle with orcs.

“We were able to stop the orcs from getting Baekhyun’s powers, however—” Kyungsoo pauses and puts his hands on Kai, “Kai was exposed to the demonic energies and has yet to gain control over his legs. He also cannot use his powers.” Kyungsoo explains, “I feel like the demonic energy tampered with his energy flow.”

“Wait, what?” Kai suddenly blurts out. This grabs the attention of everyone in the room. Kai would usually be more courteous, but this was news to him.

“What do you mean? Does this mean I won’t be able to walk or use my powers anymore,” he half shouts, “And if you knew these things, why didn’t you tell me?” Kai asks.

Kyungsoo gives Kai a look filled with concern, “Honestly, I only linked it when you mentioned you felt like there was something blocking your mind from your limbs, it just made sense. I’m sorry.”

Kai glares at Kyungsoo, but relents. A tantrum would not solve anything. Kai merely tore his gaze away from Kyungsoo and looked at the smooth wood of the long table.

Valera then interrupts the silence, “Were you able to retrieve the Demon Eye?”

Kyungsoo nods, gesturing to Yoona. The young druid walks to other side of the table, with her the burlap sack with the orb inside. She unravels the orb, careful not to touch the dark artifact. She holds it in front of Valera, the pure dark orb now throbbing in energy, the demonic artifact entangled in throbbing roots. There are bright green inscriptions on the orb of a language that Baekhyun does not understand.

Valera takes a careful look at the object, her eyes surveying every corner of the stone. She raises her staff at the orb and closes her eyes. She starts humming, soft and inaudible. After a few moments Valera opens her eyes and looks at the party.

“This is an extremely dangerous artifact. You are lucky to be alive, Kai. We’ll get you checked by the best healers here, you’ll get back on your feet soon enough.” Kai gives Valera a grateful nod, eyes still a bit sullen.

“Good work sealing the artifact, Yoona. We shall continue observing that later on. For now, keep it away.” Yoona nods and covers the throbbing orb back into the bag, the resuming her position behind the boys.

“Now, the strange movements of these fiendish creatures is not altogether surprising. The changes have been subtle, but they’ve been there. Right now, the wheel has begun its turn, things will only get harder from here, so we need to work hard.” She pauses and looks at the other two, “I know this is a tall task for the two of you, and it is quite scary being into the fray, but we shall help you every step of the way.”

Baekhyun’s heart suddenly sank into his chest. It was now dawning on him how different, how dangerous this choice was. He had so many doubts, so many things that have been unanswered. His life had been a perpetual mystery. Baekhyun felt like these people knew more about himself than he ever did. His hands are shaking with an unknown emotion. Guilt. Anger. Frustration. Confusion. Lawlessness.  

He looks at his hands and flashes of the orphanage and he suddenly feels emotional, he suddenly feels himself quiver. Anger, uncertainty, anxiety, flood his mind. But most of all, a feeling of lawlessness.

His hands start shaking, his heart pounding, “W-why?” he murmurs.

This catches everyone’s attention. He looks up at Valera his eyes blurred in contrasting emotions, “Why. I want to know why.” He says rather brokenly, “I want to know why.” it comes out as a desperate whisper. It was pleading for someone, anyone to explain to him what was happening, what was going to happen.

 “Why am I so lost?” he whispers.

Valera looks at him with a gaze of concern. She slowly makes her way towards Baekhyun, and places her hands on his shoulders. Baekhyun slacken a bit at the touch.

“My sweet boy, I cannot imagine how lost you may feel. And sadly, I cannot give you the answers you seek. For in this world, there are things that just cannot be explained. Sometimes the only thing we can do is look forward. I’m sorry that I cannot answer your questions. I’m so sorry.” Her hands feel warm on Baekhyun’s shoulder, like a mother, like someone who cared.

He doesn’t see Chanyeol look at him with a gaze of endearing warmth. He also doesn’t see Chanyeol wanting to reach his hand out, wanting to comfort Baekhyun.

Baekhyun can only look at his hands.

Valera sensing the atmosphere and the dread that has settled among the party, decides that rest was needed the most today.

“These things can wait for now, I will talk to you again soon.” She lets go of Baekhyun’s shoulders and addresses the others, “Chanyeol please Baekhyun to his room, Kyungsoo please Kai to the Healing Ward, ask Taekwoon to give him a good look over. Jongdae, Amber was looking for you, it was something regarding barding Gertrude, I can tell her to wait for tomorrow—”

Jongdae visibly brightens, “No need, I’ll go there right now.” Slightly fidgeting in his seat.

“Yoona, follow me, we have to discuss some things.”

“Baekhyun and Kai” she calls, Baekhyun is now standing looking at her, while Kai is propped on Kyungsoo’s back. 

“Our world is changing, bit by bit. It is best that we not ponder on things that could have been. For now, look forward. The sun may not have risen it will, but it will.” With that she left the room.

 

---

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol traversed the numerous halls in silence. Chanyeol led the way while Baekhyun wordlessly followed. If things were normal, Baekhyun would have looked at the intricate structure, the way the wood of the tree was carved so delicately and expertly, he would awe at the breathtaking sights of clear waters and rolling hills of lush greenery. He would look bask in the tranquil glow of the mid-afternoon sun as they walked through large, open windows. However, Baekhyun could not bring himself to do any of this. He felt tired.

So, when Chanyeol stopped in front of an anteroom facing 12 doors, Baekhyun banged into the larger figure with a soft oomph.

“We’re here.” Chanyeol smiles.

Baekhyun tries to return his smile, but it ends up as a mix of a smile and a grimace.

Chanyeol chuckles good-naturedly, “You actually don’t have a room yet, you can choose from any of the doors that don’t have an insignia.”

Baekhyun looks at the doors closely, and true enough there are three doors marked with a different insignia. One was a shield strewn from a slab of rock in glistening silver, the one next to it was marked with a spiraling thunderbolt in electric blue, and lastly the door beside it was marked with a single sword with tongues of flame surrounding it. The rest of the doors were left blank.

“The insignia doesn’t really appear until you’ve settled in.”

“Oh, who makes the insignia?”

“Oh, Sanctuary does.”

“Huh, what do you mean Sanctuary does?”

“Remember, Yoona mentioned that Sanctuary is living thing, this related to that of sorts. I think it has something to do with you finding yourself finding permanent residence in Sanctuary.” Chanyeol explains moving towards his own door, “Mine came about two months in. I think Kyungsoo’s was longer, four months maybe, but that’s because Kyungsoo was really attached to the Krags, so it was harder for him to cope. Jongdae’s was the shortest, he only stayed for two weeks before his appeared.”

Baekhyun approached the nearest room, the one next to Chanyeol’s, wondering how long it would take for his insignia to appear. Wondering how long he had to wander in the dark.

 

---

 

On the other end of the palace was Kyungsoo and Kai. Kyungsoo trudging along a eerily quiet Kai on his back. The other one not having said anything ever since their conversation with Valera.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t mention this. I really am.” Kyungsoo murmurs.

Silence.

“I’ll do everything in my power to help you, Kai. You do not know how guilty I feel about this.” He says.

Silence.

“I’ll do anything to make your stay here easier, Kai. Promise.” Kyungsoo says reaching the entrance of the Medical Ward.

The ward was similar to most rooms in the tree, shaped into a dome, with innards of the tree serving as the foundation of the structures. It smelled different from the rest of the palace. While the most of the rooms smelt of the musk of wood, this room was more extravagant, more its scent more bodied and full. There was texture in the aroma fuming about, filling the room with powerful fragrances. This room was occupied by an array of cots with various men and women mulling in light green robes with a patch embroidered with a seedling sprouting.

Immediately when they entered, men and women began approaching Kyungsoo. A pair immediately pried Kai off of Kyungsoo, propping him on one of the cots. While another pair looked over the Stone Sentinel. Once they’ve deemed Kyungsoo clear, the boy mumbled something to one of the attendants, the man nodding before walking away. Kyungsoo then moved towards Kai’s cot, while the other boy was being tendered to by some attendants.

 “Taekwoon is coming, he’s the head healer here. He’s going to get you all patched up, promise.”

Kai looks around, and notices the patch on one of the attendants that was mulling around him.

“Their patch is different from the one on the guards.” Kai murmured.

Kyungsoo heard this and answered, “It shows what Branch they are.”

“Branch?”

“Gaia’s Hand has a lot of different sub-units under it, each pertaining to a different goal that the society attempts to fulfill.” Kyungsoo explains, moving nearer to the boy.

“For example, Yoona is part of the Intelligence and Reconnaissance Branch. Their main goal is gathering information on the possible whereabouts of us, The 12, and information of unnatural occurrences linked to demon activity. The ones here are The Healer Branch, which is in charge of, well, healing. There are other branches, but you’ll get to know them later on.”

Kai nods absentmindedly, looking around at the people surrounding him, “So, I’ve been thinking.”

Kyungsoo looks at Kai questioningly, “You said you would do anything, right?”

There was something in Kai’s tone, something dangerous, something scheming. He’s only heard this when Chanyeol was thinking of trying to mortally harm their Physical Trainers, Donghae and Eunhyuk.

But before Kyungsoo can respond, there’s a shuffling and a very dour looking with black bangs that cover his eyes strolls next to Kai with swift strides. Unlike the other attendants mulling around, this man was wearing a cloak of pure white, with the seedling insignia on his back.

“Kyungsoo, is this the one touched by demon.” He murmurs in a swift, soft tone. His eyes quickly observing Kai.

“Yes, he was touched by a Demon Eye, the process was started, but it didn’t finish.” Kyungsoo explains looking pleadingly at the man, however, the man just silently observes Kai.

Kai notices that the man’s eyes are soft, though his gaze was intense. It reminded him of a wild cat. He hums, looking over Kai’s body.

“Were there any manifestations?”

“Well, he can’t walk—”

However, before Kyungsoo can even finish his sentence, Taekwoon suddenly chops Kai’s leg with much force.

Kai screams in shock and pain as Taekwoon is suddenly attacking his legs with chops. Kyungsoo can only stare at the onslaught.

“H-hey! What are you doing?!” Kai screams while swatting Taekwoon’s arm from his probably bruised leg.

Taekwoon pauses then relinquishes his hand, “It seems that you have feeling in your legs.”

Kai can only look at him incredously, “What gave you that idea?” sarcasm rich in Kai’s tone.

However, Taekwoon did not catch on, “Well, when I chopped your leg you squirmed, which means that you’re physically able to move your legs. You’re not quite bright.”

Kai hears snickers from the sidelines as Taekwoon stares at him blankly.

“So, what’s the point of your little test, then?”

“It’s to see if your condition was physical or spiritual.”

“And, did your harassing my legs give you information?” Kai asks expectantly, whilst also sounding quite unamused at the man’s methods.

“You’re energy pathways are clogged. The energy from the artifact has severely disoriented your natural flow. We have to conduct some tests on you regarding this. But for now, it’s best you rest. Maybe you’ll get smarter once you’ve slept.”

Kai can only gape as the Head Healer left with a sweep of his robes. He then notices that Kyungsoo is snickering quietly on one side.

“Hey, rock head, what do you think you’re laughing at?”

Kyungsoo attempted to hide his mirth, but failed, his face betraying him.

“Remember how you were going to assist me in any way possible?”

Kyungsoo laughter dies in his throat.

“Well, my friend, you are now officially my means of transport around this gigantic tree. You will bring me where I want to go, wherever it may be, whatever time it may be. You’re stuck with me until my legs get back. Primarily because you entertain me, but also because you were being a right git, so congratulations you’re now officially my legs.”

Kyungsoo is now grumbling at how unfair and stupid Kai’s request is, however no declination was given. Kyungsoo kept his promise, no matter how idiotic it seemed.

“Okay.” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“Now, I’m going to sleep, when I wake up make sure you’re right here, like proper legs are supposed to be.” Kai smiles mischievously. This earns him a smack on the head.

“Just because I’m your legs, doesn’t mean I can’t hit you when you’re being an idiot, please keep that in mind.” Kyungsoo says while slowly walking away.

“Whatever you say, our time together can give you enough time to tell my why you’re the former crown prince of the Krags.” Kai smirks.

Kyungsoo can only sigh as he exited the Healing Ward.

 

---

 

Baekhyun had settled into his room. The space was quite large. Upon entering the room, there is a narrow hallway that led into the main space. Similar to the other rooms in the tree, the space room was fairly circular in orientation, with large windows directly facing him, a large bed in front of the windows.  A large wardrobe took over one side of the wall, while the other was occupied with a shelf and a desk, all hewn from dark mahogany.

“Fairly simple room. Since you don’t have clothes, you’ll be provided with some from the armory, though I have to warn you, it’s quite heavily green. Don’t be surprised if you start looking like a walking blade of grass.” Chanyeol chuckles.

Baekhyun gives him a wary smile as he looks around the large room. It was larger than any room he’d previously stayed in, the space itself was larger than the shared room of the orphans back at Everdale.

“It’s really big,” Baekhyun finds himself saying out loud, “It’s big and empty.”

Chanyeol notices the sadness in Baekhyun’s voice, and he had a feeling what Baekhyun was describing was not only meant for the room.

“You’ll fill it up one day, with memories, with things you bring home from quests.”

Baekhyun suddenly turns from where he was exploring the shelves.

“Quests?” he asks in surprise.

“Yeah, we don’t just sit here and pray to a tree every day. Valera sends us out on quests to accomplish. Like looking for bandits, hunters, scouting missions, escorting important people.” Chaneol enumerates with his fingers.

“So, like, you go out and fight and stuff?” Baekhyun asks unsure.

“Yup, Valera calls for a team to carry out the mission, then assigns a leader. Usually, me, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae are teamed together, to help with our teamwork, but sometimes we have our own missions with other people, depending on the nature of it.” Chanyeol explains further.

Baekhyun just feels lost and useless now. He was the only one not able to fight. All of the other had prior experience in combat and survival work. Baekhyun just baked bread and destroyed an orphanage. He was merely an emotionally unstable orphan into a world of uncertainty and doubt. He was not ready, nor would he ever be. The feeling of hope he felt so strongly before was slowly sinking.

“I won’t be put in a quest though, I don’t know how to fight, I don’t even know what to do with these.” He says holding up his hands. “I’m useless.”

Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with concerned eyes, “Don’t say that. You’ve proven time and time again that you’re courageous. Because it takes courage to leave the only place you’ve ever known, to trust someone you’ve only met, and to venture into lands that you haven’t seen before. More than anything, you’re just like us.”

“And, anyway, we didn’t expect you to know how to fight, let alone control your powers. That’s why you’re here, so that you can learn how to use your powers without fear. That’s why it’s called Sanctuary.”

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol and gives him a small smile, “Thank you.”

“Tomorrow I’ll show you around, I’ll get you tomorrow morning, okay.”

“Okay.”

“Now, go get some rest.”

Baekhyun nods, as Chanyeol leaves the room, his body moving slovenly to the bed. He rests his body on the soft sheets, then lets his eyes close. Baekhuyn’s tired muscles relaxing upon contact. His eyes dropping quietly. The sound of his snores soon covered the room, filling it with the sound of exhaustion leaving the tiny body.

 

---

 

Eyes open.

Whispers resound into the night.

Sanctuary

Save him

Save the boy

A body moves into the night, steps slow, body serene.

“Stupid, plants.”

 

---

 

Author’s Note:

Okay, so this took longer than expected. I’m sorry. Things just started happening and I found it quite difficult writing this chapter. Anyway, exciting things are happening soon, so watch out for that.

I just realized that I haven’t really given emphasis on Jongdae as a character yet, I don’t want you guys to think that this is a Baekyeol and Kaisoo fic, yes they’re the main pairings, but I will still elaborate on the others soon. The time hasn’t called for Jongdae to grow yet, but he will.

Anyway, this chapter is heavily unedited, so I apologize for the mistakes here and there.

I would also want to thank you to all my subscribers! All 52 of you, receive some of my love!

Hopefully, I can update a bit faster next time.

Anyway, please comment and upvote as you please.