Interlude: The Guardian of the Isle

Songs of the Abyss

ACT 2: Hymns of the Heroes 

Interlude: The Guardian of the Isle

 

“I am so sad. I miss her so much.” Jongdae whines for what seems like the 20th time that day.

“Jondae, it’s been two hours. You can’t seriously miss that bird this much, seriously.” Kyungsoo admonishes from the front of the boat.

Jongdae marches up to Kyungsoo and points at him, “Gertrude is not just a bird, Kyungsoo. She is my love, my one and only love.”

“That’s disgusting, Jongdae, and stop whining, or so help me I will throw you out of this boat.” Kyungsoo say pointedly ignoring Jongdae’s intruding finger, “You know that I can.”

Jongdae pouts and goes to another portion of the boat to pout silently.

Kyungsoo looks to the horizon, the air was crisp and the wind was clear. The sun shone brightly above their heads, and he was very, very close to throwing up. As a man who lived in the mountains, seafaring was not in his general makeup as a human being. The others on the other hand were quite enjoying their little trip into the vast Verdant Sea. Baekhyun and Kai, being from a port town had traveled in some sort of naval craft and were enjoying themselves as the boat sailed serenely across the water. Chanyeol and Lay were used to traveling all the time, so boats were normal. Lay had even taken it as sign to start strumming on his lyre and start singing folk tales of the Misty Isles. Chanyeol was just sticking to Baekhyun, no surprise there.

He can still remember the mission briefing they had a few days back.

They were all seated in the war room, Valera once again standing by the large windows. She faces them all once everyone had settled.

“I heard all of you did great during the sparring you had.” She smiles, “I apologize that this had come at such an inopportune time, but you are all aware of the latest movements of dark creatures around the world.”

The room is now at attention, Kyungsoo’s face turning stern as he started listening intently to the leader of Gaia’s hand.

“As member of The Twelve, it is your job to protect the people from these forces, but also it is your duty to seek out the other six. Coincidentally your next mission may be able to fulfill both of your duties.”

Kyungsoo can feel all of their eyes train pointedly at Valera, her words keeping all of them on edge.

Valera points to Yoona, and her apprentice nods before grabbing a rolled up parchment and unraveling it on the table. What appeared was a map of the Southern portion of Exolia.

“The Misty Isles,” she says while pointing to a little island at Southeastern part of the map, “Reports of the uprising of the Naga, Meridians that have been corrupted by demonic forces have been sighted here.” She begins

“The town, though small, had been able to defend itself from dark forces before, but their longtime mayor had just recently past, and now their fate is in the hands of his son. This is alarming news, but that is not why we’re sending you there.”

The others look at her in confusion, “What is peculiar is that the town had been recently defended by an unknown force. Every night the town would be engulfed by a song, then a veil of thick fog that wards away intruders.”

“A song and fog? What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asks perplexed.

“They call it the Suho’s Lullaby.”  Valera supplies.

“Suho’s Lullaby?” Baekhyun voices in question.

“It’s a song of their ancient diety.” Lay answers from his side, “Suho, in their language, means guardian. It’s the Guardian’s lullaby.”

“The song is said to summon a veil of supreme magic that engulfs the town in a fog that makes intruders avert their eyes from the island, makes the island disappear for the night. The fog rises up the island like an eyelid does as it closes, it's like the island goes to sleep. That’s why it’s called the Misty Isles” Lay finishes.

“What Lay says is correct, it was said that Suho would create this veil to protect the small town he governed. The townspeople revere him, and are convinced that Suho had come to save them.”

“But you don’t believe them, I assume.” Lay adds.

“Not one bit,” Valera tells, “No human could produce something that powerful. I hope you all know where I’m going with this.”

“Suho is part of The Twelve.” Jongdae blurts.

Valera nods in response.

“When do we head out?” Kyungsoo asks right after.

Valera looks at him, “Tomorrow at dawn. Kyungsoo, you’re in charge.”

Present

So here they were, ridding the waves towards the Misty Isles.

“Hey, do you want me to play Suho’s Lullaby?” Lay asked, sitting at the bow of the boat, flicking lazily on his lyre.

“Will we fall asleep?” Chanyeol asked, this causes Baekhyun to smack him on the arm.

“Don’t mind him, Lay. Go play.” Baekhyun smiles.

Lay gives a curt nod and begins to strum on his lyre, the tune was sweet and soft, calming even the churning in Kyungsoo. It’s slow and relaxing, like sweetness strummed into his fingers, reverberating with a supple serenity.

Then Lay began to sing.

(Please play this songs while reading this part, it's imperative that you do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Canqkml8fMM)

Hey, hey, hey the end is near

On a good day you can see the end from here

But I won't turn back now though the way is clear

I will stay for the remainder

 

His voice was soft and tender, much like the song, sadness and calm leaving his lips like the waves lapping against the boat, rustling with quiet life. Kyungsoo felt the world become calmer, the movement soothing.

 

I saw a life and I called it mine

I saw it drawn so sweet and fine

And I had begun to fill in all the lines

Right down to what we'd name her

 

Our nature does not change by will

In the Winter 'round the ruined mill

The creek is lying flat and still

It is water though it's frozen

 

So, across the years and miles and through

On a good day you can feel my love for you

Will you leave me be so that we can stay true

To the path that you have chosen?

 

Kyungsoo hears a sniffle from behind him and sees that Baekhyun was quietly weeping, beside him Chanyeol had dampness in his eyes. And even Kyungsoo, only now, realized that there a solitary tear that had fallen down his cheek.

“It’s so sad.” Baekhyun says in almost a whisper.

Lay looks at him, “The story is quite sad. The tale goes that Suho was first leader of their tribe, gallant and kind, he ruled with a tender love for his people. But Suho was also a husband who loved his wife so very much.”

Everyone now have their ears trained on Lay as he narrated, “They were happy, so very happy; even more so when the gods blessed them with their first child. Suho was ecstatic, he sang to his unborn child every day. He loved it so much. But one night, their village was attacked by a group of pirates. Torn between guarding his family and the village, he made the hard choice and made to protect his people.”

There were gasps all around, they knew where this was going.

“After the battle, he ran straight for his home to see that it had been ransacked. He rushed in only to find his wife on the floor bleeding to her death, barely conscious. He approached her and cradled both his wife and his daughter in his arms and he sang a final song for them. A final lullaby to his wife and child—a final song for their last slumber.”

Some of them were full on crying right now, Baekhyun had his head leaning on Chanyeol shoulder, Kai was sitting quietly in a corner, eyes damp. Jongdae was looking only at the water, downcast.

“That night, Suho weep as he sang his lullaby over and over, pleading to the gods that no one in his village suffer the same fate. He pleaded that the gods take him, make him capable of defending every life on the island, he asked for the strength to keep every child, mother, father, brother and sister be safe.”

Lay looks to the deep blue ocean.

“That night, only the sound of Suho’s cries echoed throughout the island as a veil of fog covered the island. That night, the island slept.” Lay ended there, not looking at his comrades. Only the sound of the water and wind enshrouding them.

Kyungsoo looks out to the sea, to the deep azure of the waves lapping against the boat. Their journey was long ahead.

It felt like a turning point.

___

 

Author’s note:

We’re entering the second act! It’s named Hymn of the Heroes, because this arc deals with the six finding the other member and bringing everyone together. So, I hope you guys enjoy the ride.

This is just a little look into the new journey the six are entering into. If you haven’t already figured out who the next one to make his appearance is, I really don’t know anymore.

The song is On A Good Day by Joanna Newsom, and it is ethereal and tragic and fits very beautifully with the story of Suho.

The next chapters will already take place in the Misty Isles, so this is a transition into the new stories that will unfold.

Please comment, sub, upvote and whatever you want to do.