Maritime Disputes

Songs of the Abyss

Chapter 10: Maritime Disputes 

After two days of sailing, the group had finally seen the shoreline of the Misty Isles. The sun had just reached its peak and the waves were relatively calm. Kyungsoo had wished nothing but to finally dock on the mysterious island. The entire trip was a test of patience and will for the young prince, trying his hardest not to hurl his innards the entire time. This, of course, did not go unnoticed by his comrades. While Baekhyun tried to soothe Kyungsoo by giving him tips to alleviate seasickness. Chanyeol and Kai, enraptured by boredom, had made it their little mission to attempt to annoy Kyungsoo to no end. Jongdae adding to his annoyance by constantly whining about his oversized bird.

But amongst everyone, it was Lay that proved to be the most helpful. After playing for them Suho’s Lullaby, Kyungsoo had felt extremely soothed and would often ask Lay to play for him so that the sickness would go away. Lay, ever the performer, would wholeheartedly agree and play till his heart’s content. The most vivid memory was of Lay remembering a tune from the Krags. It was one of the popular tunes played at the taverns, so Kyungsoo wasn’t overly familiar, but it was unmistakably from the Krags.

Though played on a lyre, the tune carried with it a heft, a heavy undertone being the foundation of the tune. It was a story of resilience and patience, and as Lay sang, Kyungsoo could vividly remember the days of his training. He recalled the days of his youth practicing in the courtyard, his father and mother watching from the sidelines, he also remembered the late nights at the library studying the extensive history of his people and the different lore of the lords united under his father and his forefathers. It was nostalgic and Kyungsoo remembered sleeping soundly that night, as if he had never left his home. He could almost hear the subtle shaking of the castle, the slight tremors feeling like the murmurs of a sleeping giant.

Kyungsoo was shook out of his reverie by Kai prodding his head.

“Stone head, are you daydreaming again?”

 Kyungsoo responds by smacking Kai on the head.

“Don’t talk to me unless you want to drown.” Kyungsoo replies shoving Kai’s intruding finger away and walking towards the center off the boat where the others have settled.

“We’ll be arriving soon, so you should prepare yourself.” He says before joining the rest.

Kai scoffs and follows the prince to where everyone had settled. Kyungsoo heard the loud cackling from Chanyeol as he talked to Lay.

“Lay, have you ever been to Drothberg?” Chanyeol asks the minstrel.

Lay contemplates for a bit before looking up at Chanyeol, “Is that the one with the castle that looks like it’s about to crumble into dust at any moment?”

Chanyeol grins widely, “Yes, that one!”

“Chanyeol stomp jumping, you’re going make the boat capsize,” Baekhyun whines from beside the taller boy.

He murmurs a quiet apology before gazing back at Lay.

“Yes, I can clearly remember waking up in the ,” he pauses, “I reeked of regret and idiocy.” Lay sighs forlornly.

Chanyeol does really know how to react and just nods then looks over the horizon, his eyes suddenly squinting at something in the distance.

“Kyungsoo?”

“Hm.”

“Does the Misty Isles, by any chance, own a battle ship?”

“Don’t be daft Chanyeol, it’s a very rural island. They don’t have a very developed government, they only have a small council and a mayor that oversees the island. I doubt they would have a battle ship.”

“Ya, that was what I was thinking, but that doesn’t really explain why there’s a battleship docked at the island.”

Kyungsoo’s ears stand on its end, he notices the others avert there gaze as well, and true enough there sat a large battle ship that completely mismatched the otherwise tranquil waves of the island.

Floating staunchly on the clear waters of the Verdant Sea was a large, stark white battleship with a large emblem of with shards shaped into a shield.

“Glasskeep,” Kyungsoo murmurs.

Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo, “What?”

“It’s the emblem of Glasskeep, the great kingdom of the north.” Lay informs them, “The most powerful kingdom in the land.”

“But they’re way up in Winter’s Foot, what are they doing here? And how do they even have a ship.” Kai asks.

“The kingdom has amassed many allies, and has created numerous trade routes throughout the land, this includes sequestering some smaller kingdoms and making it into their remote ports. They’re probably attempting to setup a trade route through the Misty Isles.” Kyungsoo informs them, Lay nodding in agreement.

“But why the Misty Isles? What would they benefit from taking over the island?” Baekhyun asks, as they move closer to the large vessel.

“Exploration,” Lay inputs, “Glasskeep is not only known for its immense riches, it also quite popular for its expeditions to untamed lands.” This earns Lay a questioning look from Kyungsoo.

“The Misty Isles is positioned at a very strategic location, it’s the only land form in the vicinity. Using this as a docking point will enable Glasskeep to send more expeditions to the untamed lands.” Lay adds.

“You know quite a lot about the policies of Glasskeep Lay.” Kyungsoo asks questioningly.

“Well, I used to be a citizen of Glasskeep, so that may be something,” Lay says while giving Kyungsoo a wry smile.

Kyungsoo in unconvinced.

“Well this makes things interesting,” Chanyeol says rather unsurely.

“I miss, Gertrude—”

“Shut it, Jongdae!”

___

 

Cho Kyuhyun did not understand why he even asked to meet with the mayor of this little island, because honestly, his two very, very outspoken advisors were doing more of the talking then he was.

The mayor was quite a short man with a very nice build. He had wide shoulders and quite taut skin. However, the boy had also the blankest gaze, curtained by his thick eyebrows. He had a perpetual pout on his lips, one that he had elected to display the entire meeting. And in all honesty, he understands.

The young mayor’s father had just passed and he was put into the position by a group of elderly men who believed that he was the descendant of their great Suho, the guardian of the isles. Kyuhyun would laugh at how idiotic the entire situation was. The boy clearly did not know how to lead, and he clearly did not like being put in this position.

If he were here alone, the trade deal would have been finished in a matter of five minutes, but that is not the case.

Because though the elders were downright kooky, they hadn’t gone full on mad yet. They had given him instruction to choose two advisors to guide him in his decisions, so the boy chose his elder sister and his best friend.

Not bad choices, if Kyuhyun were not on the other side of their verbal jaunts. The two had working knowledge of the island and how it functions, and the role of its people. The woman, a rather slender girl with auburn skin and large lips, was well aware of the intentions that Glasskeep had. She reminded Kyunhyun of a lioness. At first she sat beside her brother, silent. She listened intently as the Kyuhyun and his partner, Kangin, explained the trade deal.

She was patient. Then she pounced.

The woman waited meekly for all the points to be raised, her fire lurking behind this veil of silence and docility. Kyuhyun soon learned that Kim Jessi was not a docile human being, she was the polar opposite. After some time, she curtly raised her hand while Kangin was explaining the things the citizens of the Misty Isles had to do in exchange for the protection that the kingdom promised.

That is when she rose from her seat and began passionately pointing out what was wrong with the provisions given by the two.

It did not help that Kangin, for all his kindness, was also quite stubborn and hot headed. If he wasn’t so knowledgeable about seafaring and maritime trade, he would have dumped his face back in Glasskeep. The man had no idea what diplomacy entailed.

Then there was the tall boy with the curly brown hair with the sharp jaw, thick lips and a very smoldering gaze. He was quite silent, but he was also extremely protective his the young mayor.

Kangin had been running his mouth at Jessi, when he suddenly mentioned that they did not want to be working with a mute mayor.

The boy immediately stood, eyes furious, as he grabbed Kangin’s collar. And Kyuhyun had to admit, the boy was quite strong, having heaved Kangin up with only one hand.

Kyuhyun was the foremost diplomat in Galsskeep, and he was not going to go back failing because an idiotic Kangin did not like how a woman addressed him. That is why here he was holding Kangin back, while Jessi held Minho. Trying their hardest to prevent an all-out war at the onset.

And that is how the small attendant saw them.

The entire room froze as the little woman looked at the state of these supposedly dignified figures trying their best to prevent a fist fight.

She clears .

“The people from Gaia’s Hand have arrived.”

Junmyeon gave him a small smile, “We can meet them now. Ergh.” He gives a wary glance at the state of their “meeting,” “W-we’re done here.”

As if on cue, everyone disengaged themselves and composed themselves.

Kyuhyun was the first one to speak, “I apologize for what transpired today, my friend did not have the best experience coming here, he’s just very tired and quite agitated at the moment.” He gives a pointed look to Kangin gesturing for him to bow.

“We’ll take all that you said into consideration when revising our proposal for our meeting tomorrow. We, once again, thank you for your hospitality. We shall take our leave now.” With another set of bows, he and Kangin finally evacuated the small meeting room and were on their way back to the ship.

“What on earth was that travesty that you pulled there, Kangin!?” Kyuhyun all but screams as they near their small row boat that they had to take to get back on the ship.

“I’ve seen rabid dogs behave more civilized than you.”

Kangin merely shakes his head, “That woman was so cocky, as if she knew what she was talking about.” Kangin scoffs.

“Well, she was. That woman knows more than you think, and the moment you think that you know more than they do, is the moment you will lose a deal.” Kyuhyun scolded.

“If you don’t know, people do not like being talked down to, especially people in power. They may be a small group of islands, but these people have been trained in the art of hunting and combat ever since they were young. Men and women alike.” Kyunhyun insists, putting an emphasis on the last sentence.

“I’m sorry for the way I behaved, you know me and my temper.” Kangin mutters.

“I do, that’s why I was so tempted to hold you so that Minho could stab you with a knife.” Kyuhyun scoffs.

“Your temper is no reason for violence, especially in a diplomatic mission. These people think that their Suho has returned, as far as they’re concerned our aid is not needed.”

Kangin nods, “But I do want to see what all the fuss is about, this supposed veil that protects them from invaders.”

Kyuhyun looks at the island, “It may be an artifact that someone found, but their guardian is not here, that’s for sure.”

Kangin gives him a pensive nod, his on the water still calm and in sync.

“But what about the druids? What are they doing here, they can’t believe that this Suho talk is for real, right?”

Kyuhyun shrugs, “Who knows, we’ll just have to find out.” Kyuhyun says quietly.

Kangin catches on Kyuhyun’s tone, it was suggestive, and somewhat sinister, “What are you planning. It sounds like the time created that scandal to convince that town to accept our offer.”

Kyuhyun shrugged, “Please, I’m just very persuasive.”

Kangin sighs, he’s heard that before, and he knew what that really meant.

___

 

“Junmyeon, are you okay?” Minho asked after the two generals from Glasskeep had left.

Junmyeon huffs, “But what they say is true, Minho. Why should I feel offended?”

The three had retreated to the waterfall near the border of the village, behind the waterfall the shrine dedicated to Suho. The three were seated by the small benches made for the purpose of reflection for their deity. Junmyeon really just needed the fresh air. It was quite a ways walk from the town center, and quite a climb, but the distance made the problems of the village farther than they truly were.

Minho looked aghast, mouth agape, eyes turbulent, “If you’re going to be mayor, you can’t let these type of people walk over you.” Minho explains.

Junmyeon sighs, then yawns. He was tired, quite so. The meeting took longer than expected, and was at a loss as to what was happening. It was just his second week in the position, and the gods had decided to throw these Nagas and the Vanguards from Glasskeep to deal with. Then there was a delegation from this mysterious druid organization that was there to “help out,” as if anyone would ever do that without an ulterior motive.

“Minho, lay off, Junmyeon. He has enough on his hands right now.” Jessi chides from Junmyeon’s other side.

“You have no right to speak after that exhibition you just pulled.” Minho bows his head in shame.

“I’m sorry.”

Jessi shakes her head, “These disgusting men are trying to take over our island, with this false promise of security. Not to mention those idiotic elders thinking that putting Junmyeon as mayor will only makes things better. It has only worsened things. No offense.”

Junmyeon chuckles, “We’re on the same boat sister. I’ve actually been awaiting the coup, sadly none have come.”

Jessi smirks and pinches her younger brother on the cheek, “So cheeky.” Junmyeon swats her hand away and rubs his cheek. Jessi was well aware that her brother had no intentions of leading the island.

Being raised by only one parent and being the elder sister to Junmyeon, the village anticipated that Jessi would become a surrogate mother to Junmyeon, but they failed to consider that the blood of their father ran through her veins stronger than that of their mother. Junmyeon ended having an elder brother more than anything else. So Junmyeon was raised with two ruthless warriors and great leaders, but Junmyeon chose to embrace music and lore more than anything else. Shown by finishing the entire collection of tomes and scrolls they had in their little town archive by the age of 14.

Junmyeon also adapted a more docile and calmer personality, electing to enjoy the lapping of the waves rather than crafting weapons like her sister and father. But even through their polar personalities, the siblings were quite close. Jessi the fierce fire and Junmyeon the waning water. Their relationship was strong and both understood each other, mainly because they understood how each approached life. Junmyeon knew that Jessi would tackle problems head on with a calculated ruthlessness. On the other hand, Jessi knew that Junmyeon hungered to know more things. She knew that Junmyeon did not only sit by the lapping waters because it was calming. He sat there because he was trying to see over the horizon. He was attempting to find a way out.

That is why the elders’ proclamation not only put Junmyeon in a place extremely foreign to him, it also meant a life sentence with no parole. Something his supposed best friend didn’t really understand.

Minho was born the same year as Junmyeon. As customary for all children of the island, they had to undergo a rigorous battle training, given their remoteness, the island was frequented by attacks from both human monster, so it was imperative that all children were to be trained at an early age. That was where the two met, and they truly hit it off, but more so with Minho. It has become his personal mission to become Junmyeon’s bodyguard for life. Or partner, whatever Minho regarded as such. But if she knew her brother—and she knew her brother—then Minho was probably heading into a future of great disappointment. Because while Junmyeon dreamed by the sea, Minho deepened his roots within the island.

After compulsory battle training, the students were allowed to enter advanced training specifically for the elite guard. Minho joined, and Junmyeon declined. And though the two were extremely close, Jessi knew that Junmyeon was too preoccupied with a world beyond the Verdant Sea. Because while Minho dreamed of growing tall, Junmyeon desperately wished to be whisked away by tranquil waters.

It is at this point that the attendant reaches clearing.

“Sir, the delegation from Gaia’s Hand are ready.”

Junmyeon nods and gestures for the attendant to let them come up.

Six young men enter, headed by a rather small man with large eyes. They all look rather young, about his age, and from his experience, it seems that none of them actually looked like a druid. But his eyes did gravitate to one person in particular.

The man with the lyre stood quietly to the boy with large eyes. His face was calm and pleasant, his eyes clear and quiet. He also had a lyre hanging on his side.

Before Junmyeon could continue though, he felt something nudging him from his side. He looks to his left and sees Minho gesturing to look to his front. The mayor then fixes his gaze forward to see that big eyes was already talking.

He gasps, “I’m sorry. I was quite distracted,” he tries to explain.

“It’s okay.” Junmyeon tenses, because that voice was not coming front of him.

Junmyeon looks up and find that it’s the one with the lyre that was talking.

“It seems he was preoccupied looking at me.”

Junmyeon’s eyes widen and his face goes red. His eyes turn to the man, and finds that there is no malice in his words, but there was a large smile and large dimples adorning his face. He feels himself go hot.

“I-I didn’t mean to, um. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude.” He bows his head in shame.

He can feel Jessi trying so hard to not snicker beside him, and sees that Minho is all but aghast.

“No worries. It wouldn’t be rude if I weren’t staring at you as well.” The man says.

Junmyeon’s eyes go wide and he attempts to not look flustered. Thankfully, the one with the big eyes intervened, “Lay, stop making him feel uncomfortable,” he chastises, the man, “You can do that later.”

Junmyeon doesn’t even know what’s happening anymore.

“Before we recede into madness, let us introduce ourselves.” The boy says.

“I am Do Kyungsoo, the one with the dimples is Lay.” He gestures to the one with the lyre. He then learns that the tall one was named Chanyeol, the small one right next to him was Baekhyun, the man who looked quite sad was named Jongdae, and the one on the other side of Kyungsoo was Kai.

After their introduction, Junmyeon took it as his cue to introduce them as well.

“I’m Kim Junmyeon.” He says gesturing himself, “This is Kim Jessi, my sister and primary political advisor,” pointing towards his right. “This Is Choi Minho, my policy advisor.”

“So what’s your business coming here?” Junmyeon asks. Kyungsoo nods his head and looks at the young mayor pointedly, “We’ve come as aid, but sadly we also came with our own motive in mind.”

The three natives nod their heads, if they could say anything, it would be that the boy was honest.

“And what would those motives be?” Jessi asks.

“We’d like to investigate the reemergence of Suho’s Lullaby.” Kyungsoo says plainly.

Junmyeon’s eyes widen, “Why?” this also draws questioning glances from both his advisors. Only a handful of people knew of Suho’s Lullaby protecting the island from the Naga.

“From what we’ve gathered, it seems that you are under the impression that what has been happening has been the spirit of Suho attempting to protect the village once more—”

Jessi raises her hand, “Correction. Some of us believe. None of the people in this room believe what the elders are spewing. We don’t know what’s happening, but we do know that it’s not Suho.”

“Well, at least we’re all on the same page then,” Kyungsoo nods. The rest of the boys are merely listening intently, the only one who wasn’t was the one with the lyre, who had started swaying slowly in place, eyes closed.

“But why would you want to investigate this phenomenon?” Minho inquires, “This is not a matter of the druids, and as far as we’ve seen there is no demonic force behind it,” Minho pauses, his eyes looking over at the six boys who seem utterly unfazed at the information being given, “Unless you know what’s causing it.”

“We have a hunch,” Kai, the one next to Kyungsoo says.

“A hunch? You traveled days to a remote island on a hunch. I don’t believe it.” Jessi sighs from Junmyeon’s other side.

Kyungsoo motions for Kai to stop talking, before closing his eyes.

“I think we should just tell them.” Lay says, eyes slowly opening.

Kyungsoo looks over at Lay, “Lay, it’s risky.”

But Junmyeon knew, that Lay had planned this. He said it out loud, it was an ultimatum, he made the decision without anyone’s consent, they had could not do anything but say the truth now. Apparently the man was actually listening.

“There’s no point in hiding it. There’s a reason why the Naga is targeting the island so suddenly. It’s the same reason why the orcs were hunting you. They could sense the energies. The faster we get him, the faster we solve everyone’s problem.” Lay says in a loud whisper.

Kyungsoo nods his head dejectedly and sighs.

“We think the reason why you’re safe, is also the reason why you’re being threatened in the first place.” 

The three look at him confused.

“That’s preposterous!” Junmyeon shouts.

The group is shocked, except for one. Lay is looking at Junmyeon with an unreadable expression.

“I’m not saying that Suho’s the one bringing in the Naga, but specifically Suho’s power is the one drawing the Naga towards the Island.” Kyungsoo explains.

Junmyeon calms down, but he still looks wary, “What do you mean exactly?”

“A person cannot produce that much magical energy,” Kyungsoo begins, “the mist I mean.” The three nod, and a single drop of sweat dropped down Junmyeon’s forehead.

“So is it really Suho? Do we have to smoke him out as well? I thought you didn’t believe this story about Suho?” Jessi asks, clearly on edge.

Kyungsoo huffs, “No, it’s not a deity, but it’s also not a person.” Kyungsoo explains.

“A ghost then?” Minho quips, before rolling his eyes, “Kyungsoo, you have to hurry up with your explanation as our patience is wearing thin.” Minho heaves from Junmyeon’s side, uncrossing his legs and leaning back, using his hand as leverage.

There’s a visible tension building behind Kyungsoo’s calm demeanor, slight cracks in the veneer.

“If you would kindly stop interrupting, I could finish,” Kyungsoo says through gritted teeth.

Jessi sees the tension, “We apologize, please do continue, we,” she says looking at Minho, “are listening.”

Kyungsoo nods.

As I was saying, it’s not a god, but more specifically a person blessed by the gods,” Kyungsoo looks at their faces, expressions ranging from puzzlement and confusion etch their face, “Have you heard the tale of The Twelve?” Kyungsoo asks.

Junmyeon looks over at Kyungsoo immediately, it couldn’t be.

Silence.

It was Minho, after quite some time that spoke first, “Are you saying that the folktale that are elders are spewing is incorrect, because whatever is happening is caused by another folktale about the war of the gods?” Minho questions sarcastically.

Kyungsoo looks at him, face unchanging, “Yes.”

“And why is that?”

“Because we’re six of those people in the folktale, Minho.”

Minho actually chuckled, “Whatever you say.”

Junmyeon could see the tall man at the back flinch at what Minho said, and vaguely saw him chuckle back and shake his head. He also noticed how the five just shook their heads.

“I had a feeling that you wouldn’t believe me.” Kyungsoo scoffs standing up, “It looks like I’ll just have to prove it to you.”

“Kai, fetch me my hammer.” Kai stands up and dusts himself.

“Where did you put it?”

“The boat. I want to show something to Minho,” Kyungsoo says smirking, “Oh, and makes sure to not drop it.” Kai smiles a bit at this and nods.

Then Kai disappears in a puff of smoke.

The three are left speechless. Kyungsoo merely looks at them with a triumphant smile.

“He goes by Kai, in his town he was called the Black Devil. No one could catch him. Poor things didn’t know he was traveling through dimensions right under their noses.”

The three are still looking at him with unbelieving looks.

“By the way, I was not able to fully introduce myself. My name is Do Kyungsoo, prince of the Krag mountains, son of Do Gonwoo, Lord of the Mountains.” Kyungsoo pauses.

There’s another puff of smoke as Kai reappears with no hammer in sight.

“Oops, seems like I dropped it.” He says while smiling.

Kyungsoo looks back at his audience. Then they hear a deep rustle in the air.

The three look up to find a hammer hurtling straight towards them.

Kyungsoo takes a step forward and raises his arm, which starts to go dark, his muscles shifting into dark granite. He then opens his hand, the hammer falling straight into his palm. He then encloses his hand over the grip effectively hindering its fall. The impact pushing a gust of air outward.

“I am Do Kyungsoo, The Stone Sentinel.”

Behind him Chanyeol snickers.

Then Baekhyun.

Then Jongdae.

Then Lay.

“I thought it was quite intimidating” Kai says.

“I found it intimidating as well,” Junmyeon says with a smile.

Kyungsoo is scarlet in embarrassment, “Anyway, we’re the real deal, okay. And we happen to believe that whoever is causing the mist is one the Twelve. And the reason the Nagas are drawn to the island is because The Twelve emit a unique energy signature, it’s purer, more attuned to that of the gods’. Being demonic beings, they are naturally drawn to the energy. That is why it is imperative that we find Suho.”

“And how will you find Suho?” Jessi asks.

It was Lay that answered, “We cannot tell you this, in case Suho is in this room.”

The three look at him questioningly, “Do you think any of us would be Suho?”

Lay only smiled back, “No, there is a saying that goes, everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but due to our peculiar predicament, I’d like to think that everyone is guilty until proven innocent.”

Junmyeon nods, “But what will you do once you capture Suho? What do you do then?”

Lay looks at with a slight glint, “It’s quite obvious, dear Mayor. He will be taking his rightful place with us.”

“And what does that entail?” Junmyeon prods further, “Hypothetically, I mean.”

“Well, it entails traveling back to our headquarters and helping in the search of the others, possibly traveling the entire world.”

Junmyeon’s eyes train themselves attentively, “Like you mean visit cities, travel seas, traverse mountains?”

Lay nods happily, “Yes, I would like to think so. Why? Are you perhaps Suho, your excellency?” Lay chuckles, as does some of the people present. Minho as well.

Jessi stays passive.

Junmyeon shakes his head, “I’m just thinking of my people. If they will be safe.”

“Well, if that’s your concern, we can’t really promise that.” This time it was the tall one at the back, the Chanyeol boy.

Junmyeon chuckles nervously, “Good point. But what do you need us to do, if you do need help?”

It was Kyungsoo who responds, “Well, just leave us be, actually. We’ll take a look around and observe throughout the day and night. We’ll try our best to not be noticed. And if the opportunity arises, we will do all in our power to defend this town.”

Junmyeon nods, “If that is all, you can head to your quarters.”

The boys bow in acknowledgment and start heading out, but Lay hesitates a bit and looks over at Junmyeon and his advisors.

The rest of the boys had filed out by now and it was now just Lay and the three, the waterfall’s ruffling their background.

“May I ask question?”

Junmyeon nods.

“It’s about the people from Glasskeep, what were their names?”

Jessi looks at him and sees a hint of urgency in his eyes, a glimmer of seeming need, “Their names were Kyuhyun and Kangin. Vanguards.”

Lay nods.

“Kangin might come off as hot-headed and brash, but he’s really just a softie. And Kyuhyun.” He pauses and heaves, “Kyuhyun might come off as scheming and conniving, but his heart is in the right place.”

“Your friends?” Jessi asks.

Lay looks at her with a somber gaze. “Oh no, I only had a hunch.”

He bows once more and turns to leave the raging falls, leaving the three to their own thoughts.

Junmyeon then rises, “It’s getting late out I’ll head for the shore. I need to clear my head.” He looks back at the two, “Who know, I might just find the mysterious Suho.”

He leaves with his two advisors chuckling in his wake.

 

___

 

The water is cool against Junmyeon’s feet. The sun was slowly setting on the horizon, the moon would show itself once again at the distance.

The day had been one of turbulence, his emotions ranging from forlorn, excited, and being downright lost. The meeting with the six boys had shook him more than that with the Vanguards. It was there, his way out of this world he was living, a way out of his prison. But he couldn’t leave this place, as much as he wanted to, he could not abandon his people. He grew up with a selfless father and sister. He was taught that selflessness and loyalty to the protecting the people was the greatest things one could ever promise. The feeling that you have protected the trust your people have in you would be the most gratifying experience. The elders, Minho, and to an extent Jessi, trusted him with this position and he could not abandon it just like that, even though the images of traveling around the world sounded so tempting. He needed to stay here, he needed to protect his father’s legacy, however lofty it was. He needed to learn to protect his people.

The sun was almost gone from the horizon, a subtle purple now inking the vast sky.

He huffs, it was time for Suho to make his appearance.

He grabs his flute hidden under his numerous robes and he begins to play his tune.

The sweet harmony dances through his body, the water slowly rising as it ebbed and flowed languidly against the sands. Streams of thin liquid enshrouding him in a blanket of darkness.

Soon enough he was clothed in black robes billowing serenely in the night and a mask of gold adorning his face.

Then a large clump of water begins rising from the depths, rising until it reached the height of Junmyeon.

He then changes the rhythm of his tune, making it slower, more deliberate.  

The water then begins to fall slowly, cracks and edges forming in the formless liquid. The falling liquid gradually etching large toned arms, broad shoulders and strong legs. The liquid begins dancing, the water moving more rapidly, forming the visage of a man.

The stream water begins to slow down, leaving behind a translucent image of the mayor of the Misty Isles. Then color begins entering the body, like water color spreading throughout, serenely reaching out with little tendrils until Junmyeon’s water clone was finished.

The clone starts walking to the village. While Suho begins heading towards the deep forest.

He moves through the thick, lush trees of their tropical forest. The humidity growing as he heads deeper. He was heading to his favorite spot, at the highest point of their forest, near the edge of the island, where the moon shined the highest. Their small island slopped slowly upward heading toward the edge, there the music will be heard, and there the energy is at its peak. There the water can hear him.

He slowly edges over to his spot, but his footsteps stop abruptly when he does not hear the rustle leaves or the movement of the forest floor, no.

Suho hears a tune, but not just any tune.

He hears Suho’s Lullaby.

He quickly sprints into its direction, the forest rushing through his cloak, the black dancing against the wind.

He reaches his spot, and true enough there is another figure there. A serene one, one playing Suho’s Lullaby on a lyre.

It was Lay.

The tune stops, “I didn’t think it would be this easy, Suho.”

Suho is speechless, his illusion was back in town, he was supposed to be asleep already.

“You’re probably wondering how I knew that you would come here.”

Suho gulps. He’s still silent, still immobile.

“The trees hear your songs, the plants feel your presence,” Lay pauses, “They know.”

Lay then turns, finally seeing the cloaked figure with a mask.

“You see, my title is Life Keeper, and my affinity is towards life and vegetation. The plants are my closest friends.”

Suho studies him quietly, gauging his expression, gauging his intention.

“Now, don’t look so dower. I don’t mean any harm, I won’t even tell a soul of your little excursions, whoever you are.” He smiles, the dimpled smile that makes him so charming. Suho will admit that it was quite disarming, too charming even. A weapon.

“But there must be a caveat.” Suho says, his voice going deep, his tone scratching against his throat.

Lay smiles again. Suho wants to throw something at him.

“Oh yes, there is one. But it is more of personal thing though” he smirks, “I want you to tell me about yourself.”

Suho doesn’t know how many times he was disarmed by the same man in a single day, but he sees himself, once again, reaching for words.

“What?”

Lay chuckles, “I’ll watch you play, then we talk. You tell me about yourself, and I tell you about myself.”

“Why?”

Lay looks at the black figure, his eyes searching, “I think you have a story to tell. One that someone has to listen to.”

Suho doesn’t know how, doesn’t know why. But he finds himself nodding, walking silently into the moonlight.

It might have been the charming smile, maybe the dimples. Or, maybe, it was because he was offering a refuge, an escape. Maybe because Lay was offering him a piece of comfort. Maybe it was because he was hoping Lay would tell him to go.”

The familiar tune carries throughout the island, the mist beginning to rise from the borders of the island.

 

___

 

In the center of town, new eyes see the wonder, the splendor and power of the mist enshrouding them, the night sky disappearing in a veil of clouds. They felt the energy, they knew it well.

In a ship near the island, two men watch in wonder as the island slowly dissipates from their sight, their words caught in their throats, their minds wondering about the power that was enabling this to occur.

In a small hut, a woman watches her brother sleep through everything. Her tired eyes closing as she felt the coolness cover her being. Praying, praying that her brother was safe, that her village was safe. That she could be strong for everyone.

And in a far off corner of the island, as the song ends, there is a boy who sits down and begins his story. There is a boy who, for the first time in quite a while, felt a warmth spreading through his body.

 

___

 

Author’s Note:

I hope this set the tone for the next few chapters. How did you guys find it? Did you like it? Hate it? I hope the Sulay was good in this one, and I hope you like where the story is going.

The next few chapters in the arc will be focusing on Sulay, so others will be taking a back seat. Mostly, it’s because I want to really flesh out the stories of all the characters, I don’t want them to just be background fodder. And this arc in general is more centered on Suho and Lay, so there will a lot of that, but there shall also be scenes with the others, so don’t worry.

I’m anticipating this arc to go for 3 to 4, maybe 5 chapters at most. We’ll find out what Kyuhyun is planning, what will happen to Lay and Suho, what the others will be doing, and when the Nagas will make their appearance. There’s a lot in store, and I do hope that you guys are still enjoying the journey.

Can I also say that this fic has reached over 58k words. WOW this fic has gone so far, and there are no signs of stopping. So I want to all 75 subscribers, you guys keep this fic alive. 

Till next time!

UPVOTE, COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!