Chapter 6

He was Sick

Jaebum walked out of the shower at the gym wrapping his lower half in a towel. Dance practice had been exhausting but rewarding lately. It was the last practice of the week before their college festival next weekend, and it had gone seamlessly. The team leader had only a few comments on their dancing, with only minor adjustments to the routines. Their team, which consisted of nine members, had three routines to perform over the three days of their university festival. The festival was a popular event in the city and thus was a spectacle that involved lots of hard work and longer practices. Those practices had taken away time he would have spent with Jinyoung.

 

They’d been dating for three months, but the past months had been occupied by adjusting to new classes (which were harder and more time consuming), a short bout pinkeye and a month long of back problems (which he recently recovered from enough to perform at the festival), and obviously dance practices (for both of them). The most consistent time the spent together was when Jinyoung had visited him at his parent's house, where he spent his time recovering, a couple of times each during the month of his recovery from his back problems. Unfortunately, after his recovery, he had to catch up on what felt like a thousand assignments and notes from all the school he'd missed and learn the dances. With his schedule so packed, their relationship went to the back burner. Consistent meetings gave way to the occasional lunch (It only happened five times in a month, and Jinyoung’s face was stuck in a book the entire time.), random run-ins (only four though and consisted of a quick kiss and nothing else), and late-night phone calls (that didn't last nearly long enough for either of them). Jaebum was having serious Jinyoung withdrawal.

 

Jaebum tried to ignore the longing to see his boyfriend. He went to his locker and started to dress. He pulled his boxer briefs on from under his towel, even though he was alone, and rid himself of the towel onto the bench. He then shrugged on his jeans. His half- figure walked to mirror. He watched himself as he towel dried his hair until it was soft and silky, just how Jinyoung liked it. He liked to tug on it when they made out; even though makeout sessions had only ensued over winter break and no time recently. Shaking his hair and his thoughts, Jaebum resumed dressing by pulling on an undershirt, then a long sleeved shirt, and then his bomber jacket.  Even though the weather was warmer than when they started dating, it still required jackets. It was funny how he dated things according to its timeframe around the beginning of their relationship.

 

Jaebum packed his dirty clothes, shampoo and conditioner, and dirty towels into his bag. As he was pulling on his socks and shoes, his phone rang. He smiled widely at the name and the picture on the screen.

 

“Hey.” Jaebum couldn't help the way he melted just by knowing Jinyoung was on the other side.

 

“Hi, what are you doing?”

 

“About to leave the locker room. What’s up?” He zipped up his bag and sat on the bench.

 

“Well, if you were hungry, I’d like some help with dinner,”

 

“Dinner… Okay. Where?”

 

“My apartment.”

 

“That’s fine,” Jaebum pretended to be calm. This would be the first time in Jinyoung’s apartment. It'd be their first time going over to one of their homes. Sure he’d been to the building and had peeked in, but he’d never been inside. The thought of being in the apartment together made his heart flutter. He did his best to prevent his voice from revealing his increasing excitement. “ Do you need me to pick up anything?”

 

“I have drinks, but if you want alcohol, you’ll have to get it yourself. I also want ice cream. Ooh, a movie as well. Something good.”

 

“Fifty Shades of Grey?”

 

“Yeahhhh no. The book was interesting, but a bit ual for what I had in mind tonight. Surprise me.”

 

“Alright. I’ll try and be there within an hour, hopefully.”

 

“Okay, see you soon.”

 

Jaebum hung up first. Dinner and a movie at home was so simple, but it was just the type of romance Jaebum had always imagined. Their dates so far had been fun, but the time away from Jinyoung made Jaebum crave any alone time with him. Nights in the hospital were plagued with idealistic dreams of simple dates. The reality that he was able to date someone he truly cared for seemed almost good to be true. After taking a couple of minutes to settle his heart, Jaebum gathered his things and left the gym.

 

On the way to Jinyoung’s apartment, he stopped by the movie rental place. He was unable to choose between Pride and Prejudice, the Great Gatsby, and The Maze Runner, so he decide maybe a movie marathon could be added into the plans. A couple of blocks from Jinyoung’s apartment, Jaebum stopped at the convenience store to buy ice cream and beer. By the time he was done shopping, he felt like he had too many bags and full hands. When he arrived at the apartment building, apparently luck was on his side. Residents were available to hold the door open, allowing him to enter hands free, and he happened to not be the only one waiting for the elevator. He faced a problem announcing his arrival at Jinyoung’s apartment. He considered kicking the door, using his head as a knocker, attempt to free a finger to ring the doorbell, or he could set everything down and announce his arrival like a normal person, but before he could do any of that, the door opened and revealed his boyfriend donned in an apron.

 

“Just as I thought.” Jinyoung looked relaxed in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. His hair soft and styled to expose his forehead. If Jaebum's hands weren't full, he would have pushed his hand through that hair to feel that he was real. Jaebum tried to ignore how his heart rate increased at the sight of his boyfriend.

 

“What?” Jaebum's reverie was broken.

 

“I knew you would have too many things in your hands, and you wouldn’t be able to ring the doorbell.” Jinyoung reached out to take some of the bags inside the apartment.

 

“Okay. You got me there. How did you know I was here?”

 

“I checked the monitor every couple of minutes. I knew you’d consider disturbing the neighbors with however you managed to announce your arrival.” He wouldn't  say how anxious he was for the other’s arrival. He only kept checking the monitor because he was so looking forward to spending time with him.

 

“You know me too well.” Jaebum was genuinely smitten with they way Jinyoung understood him.

 

“Put your bags on the counter, and I’ll give you a tour.”

 

“That door past the shoe area is the bathroom.”

 

Jaebum peaked around and mostly paid attention to the things Jinyoung had in his bathroom. He wanted to investigate why Jinyoung smelled so good. “Nice. The shower is really well done.”

 

Jinyoung waited for Jaebum to finish looking around, silently hoping that he cleaned the apartment to his standard. He’d been planning to invite him over all week, but had been too nervous, especially because he knew Jaebum was busy and didn’t want to distract him. Once he’d arrived home from class and study group and grocery shopping, he cleaned his apartment one final time (he’d done a thorough clean two days ago).  “This is the kitchen.”

 

The kitchen was small, but bigger than the one in Jaebum’s apartment. The ‘L’ shaped kitchen had a full-size sink and a single burner. On the burner was a pot, that was presumably cooking their dinner. On the left wall was the thin, but full-height refrigerator and a small oven. The appliances were surrounded by cabinets. This kitchen was also impressively well-kept.

 

“It’s nice.”

 

“And there’s my desk next to the oven. I only use it for studying any schoolwork. I don’t read over there though.”

 

“I eat here.” Jinyoung pointed to a small table in front of a TV that sat on a stand. On the floor, slightly under the table, were the cushions that he sat on when he was at the table. They were covered in ornate fabric. The stand doubled as a bookshelf. The TV was surrounded by a large collection of books stacked, in uneven piles, and some movies. “This is my bed.” The mattress sat on the floor closest to the large window, across from the closet. It was neatly made. Books were stacked next to it as well.

 

“Your apartment is nice.” Jaebum gave it another onceover. “You have a lot of books everywhere.”

 

“It’s sometimes messier and a bit chaotic. I usually have books in the bed with me.”

 

They returned to the kitchen, and Jinyoung put the ice cream in the freezer for later. Jaebum took the beer and stuck it in the fridge.

 

“So what movies did you get?”

 

“How do you know I didn’t get one?”

 

“Jaebum…”

 

“Fine. I got The Maze Runner, the Great Gatsby, and Pride and Prejudice.” Jaebum ran his hand through his hair. He was feeling a bit shy, “I’d was thinking we could have a movie marathon along with dinner.”

 

“You got all the movies that are based on books. That’s why we're dating.” Jinyoung glanced at his watch,“ It’s almost nine though, do you plan on sleeping over too?”

 

“Not originally,” He never even thought to wish for that blessing, “but whatever you’re comfortable with, I’m okay with.”

 

“So if I tell you no movie marathon and to leave after the first movie, you’ll be okay with that?”

 

“... Yes. If that’s what you want.” It seems he'd set himself up for a small heartbreak.

 

“Okay then,” Jinyoung said with a clipped tone and a smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

 

Jinyoung went back to whatever he was doing in the kitchen when Jaebum had arrived. A slight bit of tension entered the air, and Jaebum wanted to disburse it as soon as possible.

 

“What are you fixing?”

 

“Kimchi Stew.”

 

“Yesssss. I haven’t had kimchi stew in ages.”

 

“I’m glad you’re looking forward to it.”

 

Jaebum wrapped his arms around Jinyoung’s midsection as he stirred the stew. It’d been cooking for a couple of hours so it was almost done. He'd selected all the ingredients meticulously. The recipe he was inspired by had been reviewed countless times. Jinyoung had been restless and was unable to to wait for Jaebum, so they could cook together. Without really recognizing what he was doing, he'd prepped everything. Eventually he had already started boiling the dish when he made the phone call. Jinyoung was somewhat embarrassed how much thought he’d put into “this.” It wasn’t that he thought Jaebum was uninterested, but he did worry if this was enough for him.

 

Jaebum nuzzled Jinyoung’s nape and pressed light kisses there. “I missed you,” he said lightly against his neck. He’d missed the intoxicating smell of Jinyoung. He’d missed Jinyoung’s smile, laugh, and eyes. He missed listening to Jinyoung discuss the book was reading. He’d missed the way Jinyoung clung to him when they were together. He missed listening to music together. He even missed his nagging when he was sick. He’d missed his Jinyoung.

 

“Me too.” Jinyoung finished cooking with Jaebum attached to him. He’d missed Jaebum. He’d missed the way Jaebum brought his camera everywhere they went and took pictures of anything and everything. He’d missed how innocent Jaebum became once he was comfortable. He was softer and more adorable. The rough and cold appearance that is somewhat attractive gave way to something more heartwarming and appealing, in Jinyoung’s opinion. He missed his smile and laugh and how happy he looked baring all his teeth and eye smile. He missed running his hands through Jaebum’s soft hair. Jinyoung missed his Jaebum.

 

Jinyoung stirred the stew and tasted it for the final time. “Go set the table.” He turned off the burner and waited.

 

Jaebum rummaged around the kitchen, with a little assistance from Jinyoung, and managed to find two bowls, utensils, a pot holder, and napkins. He quickly set the table and went to the fridge and pulled out the beers. Jinyoung sat himself closer to his bed and waited patiently for Jaebum to sit down. Once Jaebum sat, they said a blessing before digging in. Jaebum served Jinyoung and then himself. They ate the food wordlessly, but not silently. Neither one held back their satisfied moans and groans of pleasure resonating from his tastebuds to their toes. Jinyoung was an awesome cook.

 

“What have you been up to?” Jaebum asked as he sipped a spoonful of broth.

 

“Practice, class, reading, the usual.” Jinyoung said disinterestedly. He was still perturbed by what Jaebum said. How he didn’t fight to spend the night.

 

“Tell me how it’s going. I want to know everything. I feel like I have no idea what you're doing, and it's driving me insane, ” Jaebum reached his hand across the table and wove their fingers together. He knew he’d said something earlier that was a put off, and even though Jinyoung wasn’t mad, he definitely wasn’t happy.

 

“Alright. As you know, I’m taking Advanced English Literature and it is in English so I made Mark take it with me; I don’t know if I told you that. We’re reading like five books at once, and as much as I love reading, it’s madness. So I spend most of my free time reading those books. Korean III Semester 2 is so fun. I’m reading a lot of good books; it’s only two in this class though. The professor, Professor Jung, he’s so awesome and handsome and well-traveled. He’s been to every continent, including Antarctica, and honestly is so fascinating. I think his class is my favorite” Jinyoung got more and more expressive and excited as he went on. It really irritated Jaebum.

 

“I’m well-traveled.” Jaebum said in a biting tone. “I’ve traveled internationally. I haven’t been to Antarctica or Africa or South America. Antarctica isn’t really a continent since people don’t live there to live there.”

 

“If you say so. Those things aren’t even the only things interesting about him.” Jinyoung kept his face neutral because Jaebum’s jealousy almost made him laugh. He was so cute. “Whatever he talks about is fascinating. It’s not even relevant to what I’m learning, but he always has good points. I think I’m in love.”

 

“How can you be ‘in love’ when you’re dating me?”

 

“It’s a different feeling, more like extreme admiration.” Jinyoung dismissed him because his feelings for Professor Jung weren’t like that. Plus Jaebum was the only one he thought of at night.

 

“If you say so.”

 

“Are you questioning my feelings for you? Do you think I want to date my professor that I’ve had every year of college? The professor with a family? With the children I have babysat in the past?”

 

“Noooo. I’m not questioning your feelings. I know you like me…” Jaebum paused “What did you say? You’ve had this professor every year? You babysat his kids?” he continued to question as everything he said became comprehended in his brain.

 

“Yeah and he’s also like fifty something, and I’m not into old men. He also gives me afeeling like an uncle. His kids are adorable too. They're like ten and six. I didn’t start watching his kids until last year though. ”

 

“You got me. I didn’t know you were that close with one of your professors.”

 

“I know. I didn’t tell you because it was never relevant. He and his family are important people in his life.” Jinyoung laughed more and Jaebum ate his food bitterly until he was done. “Anyway, I’m also taking Biology II which is ridiculously irritating, and Professor Yoo is an . I literally hate her. She’s so condescending and whenever anyone asks a questions she totally acts like they are the dumbest people on earth, even if the question is only for deeper understanding.”

 

“I’ve had her before. She is a hardass, but her tests are manageable.”

 

“If you were so good in her class, you should help me. I see her three days a week, which is too often in my opinion.” Jinyoung leaned back on his hands and sighed while looking up at the white ceiling, “Then I have a Speech class which is time consuming as hell, but I always do the assignments after class. Other than that, it’s easy. I also have a singing class, which is kind of random to take, but Youngjae and I always partner up.”

 

“I’m glad you and Youngjae are getting along. He always calls me and tells me how much he likes you,”Jaebum finished the rest of his bowl. They’d cleaned out the pot.  “I always get jealous and upset that he can see you and I can’t.”

 

“I miss you too.” Jinyoung stood up and started cleaning off the table.

 

“Let’s do it together.”

 

As they washed the dishes, with Jaebum washing and Jinyoung drying, Jinyoung asked his boyfriend about his classes.

 

“Well, I’m taking Nature Photography II, so we have a lot of field trips. We’re only in class two days a week. Each assignment is done in a short time period which is good and bad because I get more assignments done but it also requires to work on things immediately. Fashion Photography is really interesting so far. I think it’s my favorite class this semester. We get a lot of lectured from professional fashion photographers which is so interesting.  Business Practices in Photography makes me want to cry since it’s so boring, but if I want to be successful, then I should do it with my best effort.”

 

“I’m glad you enjoy Fashion Photography.” Jinyoung continued to dry  the dishes. “The business class should be easy since you took Economics.”

 

“It’s not that simple. This photography class requires me to personable and what not. I have to act like a pleasant person”

 

Jinyoung chuckled as he dried the pot. “You’re pleasant enough around me. When you’re well established, then you’ll be able to conduct your business how you like.”

 

“Enough?” Jaebum choose to ignore it after his boyfriend giggled at the question. “I hope I’ll have a successful career. I’ll probably start off as a photographer’s assistant though.”

 

“That’s okay. I’ll support you.”

 

“I really appreciate it.” They finished with the dishes and made their way back to the table. Jaebum moved the table closer to the desk,  and Jinyoung took out the first movie.

 

“Great Gatsby is first.” Jinyoung pulled some blankets out of his closet and the pillow off of his bed. They spread the blankets and pillows onto the floor and got comfortable. Before the could settle down, Jaebum got the ice cream out of the freezer. As he sat down and settled himself, Jinyoung was preoccupied with the TV.

 

“Jinyoung,” Jaebum paused as Jinyoung fiddled with the DVD remote, “if you’ll have me, I’ll spend the night.”

 

“Really?!” Jinyoung turned to his boyfriend.

 

“Yeah. I want to spend as much time with you as I can.”

 

Jinyoung smiled widely, “Me too.”

 

The rest of the night they cuddling and eating ice cream with each other through all three movies. Somehow even sleep deprived Jinyoung was able to stay awake the entire time, even though he did drift off occasionally during the slow parts. Pride and Prejudice was Jinyoung’s favorite of the selection because of the classic story that still felt relevant. He also thought Jaebum reminded him of Mr. Darcy; his moodiness, hot and cold personality, and his roundabout way of showing affection were vaguely familiar. Jinyoung somewhat identified with Elizabeth Bennet only because of her love of knowledge, stubbornness, and her intense feelings for the one she loved. The Great Gatsby was visually stunning, and did spark lots of conversation during the movie. They would just make comments on the lavishness of everything, the characterization, filmography (mostly Jaebum), and the story itself. Jaebum unknowingly chose thought provoking movies that night. The Maze Runner was last, and Jaebum reacted to all of the action and dramatic scenes. When the movies ended, they were laying on their stomach on their makeshift pallet, with ice cream trash on the floor, and wrapped in blankets that smelled just how he thought Jinyoung's apartment seemed in his imagination.

 

“Should I sleep here?”

 

“No. Your back might ache,” he said with his voice laced with concern.

 

“I’m fine. I was able to lay here for six plus hours without any issues.” Jaebum was okay, really. He had latent pain sometimes but nothing too alarming. He mostly felt achy after a strenuous practice. Any discomfort was relieved with a pain relief patch.

 

“I want you to sleep with me though.” Jinyoung said with a whiny voice. Something about the way the light streamed through the window and the look on Jinyoung's face sent Jaebum's heart aflutter.

 

Jaebum took a sharp intake of breath and breathily said, “Okay.”

 

After a couple of moments of silence, Jinyoung got up and helped Jaebum up as well. He could pretend like his back was fine if he wanted; Jinyoung didn't believe him. Jinyoung moved the trash while Jaebum threw the blankets and pillows on the bed.

 

“What are you going to sleep in?” Jinyoung was going through his clothes as he took out his own sleepwear. “Do you want something?”

 

“I was going to sleep in my underwear,” Jaebum, even in the darkness, could see a blush dance across Jinyoung’s face, “but if you want, I’ll take a shirt.”

 

“You don’t want pants?” Jinyoung said at a higher pitch than normal.

 

“Nope. Too many blankets.”  “Plus. I want to be closer to you.”

 

Jinyoung just stuck the spare shirt out, “Here.”

 

“Thank you.” Jaebum pulled his shirts off until he was shirtless. He was used to being exposed to people so being shirtless wasn’t uncomfortable. He could also feel Jinyoung’s staring, which almost made him preen with pleasure. To up the ante, Jaebum also shed his pants. Maybe he was being a little dirty, but he felt elated that Jinyoung could see his half- body that he’d worked so hard on. When they were farther in their relationship, he’d sleep next to him . With a smirk on his face, he broke the laced atmosphere, “Do you like what you see? I’ll send you a picture so you can start a collection”

 

“Yes. No. I mean no. I don’t want a picture.”

Jinyoung wanted to hit his own forehead against a hard surface. He wanted to shake the feelings that had his body tingling. His boyfriend was disturbing him in a way that was transcendent.

 

“So you like the view?”

 

“Shut up. Go brush your teeth.” Jaebum's impishness was starting to get underneath his skin.

 

Jaebum was satisfied with the reaction he got, so he followed instructions. A new toothbrush laid on the counter along with a towel and toothpaste. He washed his face first with whatever face soap he’d found in the bathroom. While he was brushing his teeth Jinyoung joined him. Jinyoung bumped him farther away from the door in the small bathroom.

 

“You stole my towel?”

 

Jaebum shrugged in response; he'd thought it was for him. Jinyoung rolled his eyes and went back out to get another towel. Jaebum was done brushing, but he didn't want to leave so he sat on the toilet. He could tell that Jinyoung was ruffled by his presence. The way he moved his hair out of his face with a rushed manner was a tell tale sign. Jinyoung tried his best to ignore his boyfriend as he washed his face.

 

With his face covered in soap, Jaebum said “You look really attractive right now.”

 

“ off.” Jinyoung just rinsed his face and then wiped the water away. Jaebum chuckled. Jinyoung brushed his teeth, not really paying attention to what he was doing. Jaebum enjoyed how the other reacted to his presence.

 

“That’s my toothbrush.”

 

Jinyoung blanched and looked at the toothbrush stu. It wasn’t Jaebum’s. It wasn't the toothbrush he'd searched for analytically after he planned on getting Jaebum to sleep over. “. Don’t lie to me.” Shaking off the alarm he'd felt, Jimyoung continued to brush his teeth. When he finished, they walked out of the bathroom and turned off remaining lights.

 

The city lights streamed through the large window. Jaebum moved the covers and jumped into the bed. They cuddled and wiggled until Jaebum’s body covered Jinyoung’s. Their legs were intertwined, and their arms were wrapped around each other.

 

“Im Jaebum,” Jinyoung said sleepily, “don’t get an .” He was flustered by the way their bodies touched.

 

“It’s not something I can control, especially when I’m asleep.” Jaebum nuzzled into Jinyoung’s neck. “Your is pretty nice too. My is very tempted to react.”

 

“.” Jinyoung scoffed and pretended like he wasn't blushing. He was in fact hyper aware of all the places their body touched.

 

“I’m glad we’re spending our first night together like this,” Jaebum said sincerely.

 

“Me too.” Jinyoung was being lulled into sleepiness by Jaebum's scent, warmth, and voice. It was an addictive combination that was wearing down Jinyoung's defenses.

 

“I could get used to this.” Jaebum said truthfully. Being close to someone he had these feelings for like this was unreal. When he was sick, during his early teen years, he'd longed for a warm body that would comfort him unlike anyone else in his life.

 

“I feel like it can only get more intimate from here.” Jinyoung said seemingly unaware. It seemed more like a thought than a statement he'd wanted to make.

 

“Eventually.” Jaebum kissed his neck. Everything felt right in this moment. “Good night Jinyoung.”

 

“Night Jaebum. Sweet dreams.”


I have a lot of things to say. First off, I want to apologize for not updating recently. I started being lazy, and I worked on other stories instead. I didn't neglect this story on purpose. Second, this is kind of a filler chapter/ half chapter. It was supposed to be a part of a longer chapter, but I don't have time to finish it in a timely manner and I wanted to update. Following that, I will hopefully add the next chapter sometime soon. I'm taking a week long class so that will be my main priority of the week. I hope I'll be able to update though. Give me strength. Did you like the chapter? This chapter is just about their developing relationship and how it's progressing after a winter break time skip into almost spring. Yay!!! I think that's it. Thank you for all that you've done for me in regards to votes, subscriptions, and comments. Thank you once more and please look forward to the next chapter. @(*^*)@