Chapter 1

He was Sick

He was sick. That basically summarized more than half of his existence.  He'd like to blame his various illnesses on bad luck and a weak constitution.  He could list all of his illnesses in his 23 years of life. Here’s the list: pneumonia (3 times), influenza (7 times), non-Hodgkin lymphoma (he was 3, cured at 8), and there were more but those were too minor and irritating to mention. So much of his life had been shaped by illness that one of his few wishes was that something would happen not defined by his illness. 

At the moment, Jaebum was in recovery from food poisoning. He surmised the casue was bad luck and bad decision making, more than latter than anything.  This bout of illness was just one of many, and with being sick comes loneliness and isolation. With that comes irritation, occasional hopelessness, and a cynical view of life. Another hope of his was that someone would come along to change that: a soulmate. 

Jaebum's version of a soulmate was someone who was the one person in the world that would understand and support their partner. The search for that person was supposed to be a life adventure. Unfortunately, Jaebum was in a hospital for 63% of his childhood; he could further divide his childhood between home (22%) and school (15%). On a list of Jaebum’s soulmate search disadvantages was the fact that people, that were possible candidates, were either in the hospital as well or were in summer school or were children of his parents’ friends. While in the hospital, he never met any fellow patients that he really connected with except Youngjae, but he’s an exception. When it came to school friends, Jaebum was never in school long enough to build a good relationship with his classmates and he definitely wasn’t making friends with his remedial school classmates. And when it came to the children of his parents’ friends, that relationship was platonic. So, as of now, Jaebum’s prospects weren’t that promising.

But now he was in college, had been for three years, and he was hoping the universe would send his soulmate to him. He has a couple of close, started to involve himself in extracurricular activities he could not participate in as a child, and an apartment that allowed him to be independent for the first time in his life. His parents were able to finally able to live their lives without having to care for a sick child, and his grandparents had finished paying his medical bills a couple of years ago, so they were now able to travel and enjoy retirement. The fact that made him the happiest was that he was on his way to graduating, which was a goal of his since he only has less than ten years left. Jaebum goes to school with about 25,000 people, and ideally there is a person that goes to school with him that is his soulmate.

Shaking his head of his wandering thoughts, Jaebum gets off the bus. He’s got to get focused since it was going to be a long day on campus. Hopefully Youngjae will also be there to eat dinner with him. He’s got three textbooks in his hands and his bag is full of stuff. “Why are you so studious?” Jaebum asked himself. He’s preoccupied, and struggling to get to class so he isn’t paying attention to his surroundings and suddenly runs into a body when he turns a corner. Everything disperses. His glasses are off his faces books are no longer neatly stacked in his arms, and his bag was closed but hopefully his laptop survived. Jaebum quickly gathered his stuff and ushered a hasty apology to the person he ran into. He was rushing so he barely saw the person. All he saw was tight pants and dress shirt; Jaebum must have run into a professor.

He couldn’t bother to properly apologize and gather himself fully. He needed to be on time for class so he re his path. Getting to class in time, Jaebum was able to find his seat, which was in the middle of the middle rows, and his childhood friend, the only one, was socializing with the other students in the room. Jaebum placed his stuff on the desk in front of him and methodically situated his stuff. Textbooks on his right side in front, out of the way. Laptop in front of him.  Notebook and pens on his left. His bag was on the floor. Now that he was prepared, Jaebum could finally breathe and replay the details of his morning. He’d run into a person and barely apologized; he hoped he hadn’t come off as rude.

“Hey, you made it,” Jackson said.

“Yeah, barely,” Jaebum replied

Jackson had been Jaebum’s childhood friend since Jackson was a month old. Their parents were friends, so naturally that relationship continued to their generation. Jackson was an awesome friend. He was extroverted, fun, caring, and was Jaebum’s rock throughout his childhood. Jackson was strong when a child at the age of 5 usually wasn’t. Jackson kept Jaebum encouraged during the hard times of his prolonged hospital stays and distracted him from the disadvantages of being sickly. Being in college with Jackson was a miracle but Jackson had encouraged him as he tried to start college at the appropriate age.  Basically, Jackson was a pillar in Jaebum’s life.

Once his class ended, he shuffled to the next one. Later that day, Jaebum walked in the autumn air on his way to lunch more calm than he was this morning. On his way to the cafeteria, he heard someone calling his name.

“Im Jaebum. Im Jaebum. Im Jaebum,” a voice called that rapidly getting closer.

Jaebum stopped and turned toward the voice. He waited somewhat patiently but he was hungry. A guy was running toward him with a bag and a couple of textbooks in his hands. He had on tight pants, a dress shirt, a sweater, and some dress shoes on. This guy looked like a professor but he seemed too young. Well in addition to looking young, he had gorgeous lips and cute eyes and a gorgeous nose. Jaebum wanted to take a picture to remember the perfection.

“You…ran into…me…this…morning,” the stranger said.

“That was you? I’m sorry. I didn’t take caution of my surroundings,” Jaebum rushed.

“It’s fine…I just wanted to exchange textbooks.”

“All of these are mine.”

“Unfortunately, it seems that we share the same textbook for Economics.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I write notes all over mine, and I was going to review the material and I realized that it wasn’t mine. And you wrote your name in the front so I’m glad I’m able to return it to you and I won’t seem like a thief.”

“Wow. Um…this is my fault. Here.” Jaebum pushes the textbook that isn’t his to its rightful owner and accepts the correct one.

“I’m seriously sorry if I disturbed your studying habits or time or both,” Jaebum heuuriedly issued.

“Like I said, it’s fine. I was able to study and understand everything in class.”

“That’s good. When do you take it?” Jaebum questioned. Why was he talking to this guy? He should have moved on by now since time management was so important to him. He’d gotten his textbook so he should continue on his journey.

“I take it at 10am. I was on my way to the library when we bumped into each other.”

“Oh, I take it at 2:30.”

“Oh that’s Professor Kim’s least favorite class.”

“I know. I feel her wrath every time. Before I let you go, how did you find me?”

“I was asking around after class and it just happened a friend of mine knew your schedule.”

“Who?” Jaebum wanted to know who would have those details of his life. Hopefully it wasn’t a stranger.

“Kim Yugyeom. He said he dances with you.” The guy seemed nervous. Jaebum wondered if his face seemed angry.

“Yugyeom? That kid is so nosy.”

“Yeah. He’s a pest.” The guy looked at his watch and shuffled his stuff to the other arm. It must be heavy.

“I should go eat…What’s your name by the way?”

“Park Jinyoung.”

“Im Jaebum…but you already knew that,” Jaebum said awkwardly and blushed. .

The guy- Park Jinyoung- chuckled. What a beautiful sound, Jaebum thought.

Park Jinyoung waved and walked away. Jaebum wondered where Jinyoung would normally be at this time. Jaebum went on his way and ate lunch.

Now it was library time. Unfortunately today library time was occupied with thoughts of Park Jinyoung. Why hadn’t Jaebum seen or met him before? Why was Jaebum thinking about someone he’d met twice?  Who was Park Jinyoung? What were his interests? What did he study? All of these questions filled Jaebum’s head. He barely was able to compile and organize his notes before his class started. Jaebum accomplished the bare minimum, which was irritating. He shuffled to class, head filled with thoughts about Jinyoung and trying to keep his life in order. Jaebum knew, deep within himself, that if he kept in contact with that boy, he would be starting something that would change his life.

Jaebum moved through the rest of his day. He had meticulously scheduled his time throughout the week and this day was no exception. After his last class of the day, Jaebum went to the gym, which helped clear his head. He moved on to dance practice, which housed a good source of information.

“Yugyeom let’s talk.”

The tall kid’s face dropped. He moved toward the voice that called him.

“Hyung…what’s up?” Jaebum could tell he was nervous.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to chew you out…unless you’re not cooperative,” Jaebum said with an evil glint in his eye.

“So…Park Jinyoung…I want to know everything you know.”

“I can tell you some stuff but not everything,” Yugyeom said nervously.

“Fine. Spill.”

“Well his name is Park Jinyoung. His birthday is September 22, 1994. He likes meat, especially when other people pay for it. He studies Korean and Foreign Literature; he's double majoring. He likes books a lot. He sings and dances and is in a performance group. He has a good personality and likes to tease people a lot..”

“How did you two meet?”

“We had the same psychology class last semester.”

“Is he in a relationship?”

“Why does it matter?”

“Just tell me or I will make your life difficulut.”

“Why don’t you ask him? I can’t provide all the answers,” Yugyeom said flippantly.

Jaebum decided to let him slide. Yugyeom wasn’t wrong. If Jaebum wanted to learn more about Jinyoung, he should ask him himself.

Jaebum left dance practice tired but in an overall good mood. He quickly texted Youngjae to meet him for dinner. Youngjae was a fellow patient that had had heart problems from the day he was born. He’d been given a new heart, and with that heart he brightened other people’s lives. He was a great kid and a talented singer. Jaebum loved him like a little brother.

They were eating dinner and Youngaje started the conversation.

“How was your day, hyung?”

“Decent. I went to all my classes. Went to the gym and dance practice. But I did meet someone today.”

“Who? I'm surprised considering how off-putting you usually are.” Youngjae asked excitedly.

Jaebum glared but continued. “His name is Park Jinyoung. I ran into him this morning, and I mixed up our books.”

“No one got hurt right?” Youngjae felt there was more behind his encounter.

“He was really attractive. He dressed neatly. He seemed very mature." Jaebum paused to eat. "He’s good friends with Yugyeom. I think his eyes were the most captivating part about him. His lips were so full and cute." Jaebum sighed. "I wish I could  get to know him better”

“I didn’t know you were interested in guys. He sounds nice though.” Youngjae commented. He looked at his bowl and thought about what other food he wanted.

“Yeah…What do you think I should do? I want to get to know him better but I don’t know why I’m interested. He might not even be my style. He might not even like me. Maybe I shouldn’t waste my time. Maybe I should focus on something else. I don't even think I have time to pursue him.”

“Maybe this guy has entered your life for a reason. It could be fate.”

“Isn’t that too unrealistic? Fate bringing two people together by running into each other. That sounds kind of ridiculous..”

“Why do you think it couldn't happen? Fairy tales have to be based off of real life. I’m not even implying that you and Jinyoung will ever become a thing, but don't  discount yourself for something that hasn't happened I think you just wanted there to be a moment where everything sparkles and you just “feel” it. What a romantic you are.” 

“Ugh. Maybe you’re right. You sound like Jackson. Stop talking to him. I want my Youngjae back.”

“Hyung…just because I’m being honest doesn’t mean I’m not your Youngjae.”

Jaebum sighs. He guesses Youngjae is right. He needed a smart person in his life and Jackson wasn’t always reliable in that department. They finish dinner and part with a hug. He couldn’t imagine going to the library with his head being a mess.

“I guess I’m going home.”