Coming Back

The Best of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You were at one of your special places- an abandoned railroad track. You went to this place when you just wanted peace and a place to gather your thoughts.

 

♬ nuni ga jakku nuni nuni gayo geunyeoui du bore jakku nuni gayo geokjeong marayo nollaji mayo ♬

 

Your phone rang in your hand. You stared at the name that was calling you and your thumb hovered over the answer button.

 

“You can’t stay mad at him. He’s your best friend, after all,” You thought and straightened yourself as you answered Jackson’s call. It bothered you of how nice you were sometimes.

 

“He-. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Jackson, breathe. I can’t help you if I can’t even understand you,” You chuckled when Jackson rambled through the phone.

 

“There’s a person that I really really really don’t like. Just the thought of her fills me with rage. I… I don’t know what to do. I might not even see her, but I should be prepared for the worst,” Jackson confessed. It was always easy to tell Sojung how he felt.

 

“This probably has something to do with his secret, so he wouldn’t want you to be there in person since you might find out something you shouldn’t… Comfort him through the phone,” You told yourself.

 

“I’m your best friend right? Don’t even answer that. Of course I am. I’m the world’s best best friend there is! I’m funny, trustworthy, loyal, and all of those good stuff,” You sounded so conceited that you wanted to throw up. It was worth it when you heard Jackson snicker.

 

“What’s your point, you conceited brat?” Jackson questioned. You decided to let go of the insult for now.

 

“The point is that you can think of me when you just can’t handle her anymore. Think of it this way, I’m so great that I make up for the bad qualities that she has. If you think of me, you won’t feel the need to rage because I’m so great,” You honestly felt disgusted talking about yourself like this.

 

“And if your little brain can’t think of me, just look at the lockscreen on your phone,” You concluded.

 

Jackson looked at his lock screen and showed a closed-mouthed smile. It was a picture of you two making ugly faces to each other.

 

“So, what you’re saying is that when I think of you, there’s so much goodness that there’s no room for hate? I get it. It’s pretty conceited of you, but I get it. Thanks, Sojung. And, I’m sorry for how I acted earlier,” Jackson sincerely apologized.

 

“It’s okay. We both make mistakes. You make 100x more mistakes than me,” You paused. “But we’re best friends. We’re there for each other,” You vowed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter