Snowfall

A Personal Sunrise

Key’s POV

                A week passed, and it was undoubtedly the best week I had experienced in years. It turned out that Jonghyun was also in my foods class and just had a bad habit of skipping, so the teacher had lumped him into our group for the pyramid project. We spent days on it, perfecting the shape and making sure it had plenty of glitter. Well, to be more accurate, I made sure it had plenty of glitter while Taemin and Jonghyun protested the act. We cheered for Minho at every one of his basketball games, and gave Onew a standing ovation at all of his plays. I often caught myself smiling for no reason at all, and my friends frequently commented on how overly happy I always seemed. 

                The snow came thick and fast as December drew to a close. I dragged my hot pink boots through the dense slush and made my way up the stairs to the school’s entrance.

                “Key hyung!” A loud, excited voice floated through the frozen air. I grabbed the railing for support as someone hugged me tightly from behind.

                I laughed and spun around, already knowing exactly who it was. Taemin smiled up at me, his chin tucked into a bright turquoise scarf and his bulky green coat making him resemble an adorable snowman. Minho stood beside him, laughing softly. He reached over and tugged on Taemin’s scarf.

                “You’re going to make Key fall over,” he said, adjusting the turquoise material carefully. Taemin pouted and pulled at his scarf, causing Minho to frown and pull him closer so he could fix it again. Taemin glanced over his shoulder and smiled at me. I laughed again. He had worked out the perfect schemes to get closer to Minho.

                “I just missed him,” Taemin muttered, glancing down at the icy sidewalk. Minho put a hand under his chin and tilted his face up so he could look into his eyes.

                “Taemin-ah, you just saw him yesterday.”

                Taemin stuck out his tongue. “So? I start to miss you when you leave me for just a few hours, hyung.”

                Minho blushed and averted his eyes. “That’s different.”

                Taemin smiled and pulled on Minho’s hat until it covered his eyes. He ran back to me and hugged me again, pressing his face into my bright purple coat. His voice was muffled as he made some happy exclamation, and I pulled back.

                “What did you say, Minnie?”

                His eyes were bright as he grinned up at me. “I said tomorrow’s Christmas!” He exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement.

                I smiled and ruffled his hair, convinced that it was absolutely impossible for anyone to be more adorable. “I know, Minnie. What do you want for Christmas?”

                “I want to spend the whole day with you and Minho and Jonghyun and Onew!”

                “I’m sure their families have other plans for them,” I said softly. “Your family, too. You might have to settle for just some of the day.”

                His face fell slightly. “Oh. Okay…”

                “It’s all right, Minnie! We’ll still have lots of fun, I promise.”

                I glanced up as Onew came running toward us, waving happily.

                “Oh no,” I muttered. “Onew can’t even stay upright when the sidewalk isn’t covered with ice.” I cupped my hands around my mouth. “Onew hyung!” I shouted. “Don’t run!”

                Onew glanced down at the sidewalk and slowed his pace, holding his arms out for balance. His foot, however, caught on a raised portion of concrete and he tumbled to the frozen ground.

                He laughed as we all ran over to help him. “I’m fine, I’m fine.”

                I grabbed his hand and helped him up, brushing the snow off the back of his coat.

                “Thanks, Key.”

                We laughed and chatted happily as we made our way into the building. Outside, the snowflakes fell softly, covering the world from the prying eyes of its inhabitants. In a way, my smiles and laughter were like snowflakes, covering up my heart from anyone who got too close. Yes, I was happier than I had been in years, but my heart still harbored a secret darkness that swallowed all the light from my world whenever I walked through the door of my house.

Christmas Day

                I woke up to the sound of breaking glass. I rolled over and pulled my blanket over my head, trying to block out the noise. I flinched as my father’s thundering footsteps shook the staircase. He threw my door open and yanked my blanket away, twisting his fingers into my hair and pulling on it savagely until I toppled from the bed.

                “Listen up, boy,” he snarled. “Your mother and I are going out to have a nice Christmas away from you. If you set one toe out of this house, you’ll spend tomorrow in the ER. Do you hear me?”

                I rolled my eyes and nodded as I climbed back into bed. My father growled in anger and spit in my face before he walked out. I sighed and walked to the bathroom to wash my face.

                Merry Christmas, Key.

                I fell back into bed and pulled my blanket up to my chin in an effort to keep warm. I sighed in relief as the front door slammed. Spending Christmas without my parents was one of the best gifts I could have hoped for. I smiled as I fell asleep.

                The noise that jarred me from sleep this time was better than breaking glass, but still highly annoying. The sound of the doorbell echoed through the house as I buried my face in my pillow. I threw my blanket to the floor and ran downstairs, hastily running my fingers through my hair. Who on earth was coming to my house on Christmas morning?

                I pulled the door open and froze in surprise. Jonghyun glanced up and smiled slightly.

                “I’m here to kidnap you,” he said, taking in my appearance from my messy hair to the bottom of my pink pajama pants. “Nice pajamas.”

                I scowled and tried to fix my hair again. “What are you doing here so early? And besides, I don’t think you’re supposed to tell people when you kidnap them.”

                Jonghyun pointed to the clock on the wall behind me. “It’s one o’clock in the afternoon. And I thought I should get your consent first.”

                “Does my consent really matter?”

                “No. Minho, Onew, and Taemin are demanding that you come over.”

                I lowered my eyebrows in suspicion. “Come over where?”

                “To my house, of course. We’re having a Christmas party. Now hurry and get ready before Taemin has a heart attack. He’s dying to give you your present.”

                Present? Taemin had bought me a present? I blinked and turned away as tears threatened to spill over. I hadn’t received a Christmas present in five years.

                “Uhh… Come in.” I called to Jonghyun as I made my way up the stairs. Jonghyun shut the door softly behind him and stood there awkwardly, shuffling his feet and staring down at the carpet. I gestured for him to follow me, and he trailed behind me up the narrow staircase.

                I threw open my closet doors with a flourish. “What should I wear today, Jjong?”

                His eyes widened in surprise. “Jjong?”

                I smiled. “Yep. That’s your new nickname. Now, on to more important matters. What should I wear today?”

                I saw a faint blush color his cheeks as he stared at the rainbow rug covering my floor. He glanced at the contents of my closet and pointed to a black T-shirt shot through with glittery purple threads. “Wear that one.”

                I pulled it from the hanger and grabbed my white skinny jeans. “Stay here,” I commanded as I headed to the bathroom. I showered as quickly as I possibly could and ran a comb carefully through my hair.

                Jonghyun was examining my bookshelf when I returned. “Find anything interesting?” I asked casually as I pulled on a pair of bright purple sneakers.

                He spun around in surprise and averted his eyes, embarrassed.

                I laughed. “It’s fine. I don’t have anything to hide.” I cringed as I realized how false that statement really was.

                He gestured to the rows of grammar books and dictionaries that lined the shelves. “Do you study foreign languages in your spare time?” He grabbed a Chinese book and opened it to a random page, carefully pronouncing each word.

                “Aigooo,” I exclaimed, snatching the book from his hands and returning it to its place. “Your tones are all wrong. It’s hurting my ears. And yes, I like to study them when I have a bit of time on my hands.”

                “You’re really strange,” Jonghyun said with a laugh.

                “I’m taking that as a compliment,” I informed him as I stared intently into my mirror. When my hair was satisfactorily arranged, I grabbed my coat and headed down the stairs with Jonghyun right behind me.

                My father’s warning ran through my head as I locked the front door.

                “If you set one toe out of this house, you’ll spend tomorrow in the ER.”

                I rolled my eyes and headed toward Jonghyun’s car. My father had no way of knowing if I left the house. And the only way I’d go to the ER was if I called the ambulance myself.

                Jonghyun drove carefully down the icy roads, and I enjoyed the sparkling white scenery that flew past my window. Bright Christmas lights cast soft rainbow hues on the snow. As we got farther from my neighborhood, I found myself growing increasingly curious about where Jonghyun lived.

                We to a winding, tree-lined street bathed in the glow of the white lights that were strung through the branches. As we neared the end, my mouth fell open at the sight of the house. It was three stories and constructed entirely of red brick. A white porch wrapped all the way around it, and the brown-shingled roof came to a perfect peak like the house in a children’s fairytale. I could see the lights from a massive Christmas tree shining through a downstairs window.

                Jonghyun laughed at the expression on my face. He placed a finger under my chin and forced me to close my mouth. “Your face is going to get stuck that way,” he said.

                I shook my head. “You live here?” I breathed.

                Jonghyun hopped out of the car. “Sure do.”

                I opened my door and scrambled out onto the icy driveway. My house was absolutely pitiful compared to his, and I was ashamed that I had told him to come inside earlier. What must he think of me now?

                I followed Jonghyun onto the porch as he unlocked the heavy wooden door. The subtle scent of apple cinnamon wafted past me as the door opened. It was a welcome change from the scent of alcohol that always permeated my house.

                We walked past a curving wooden staircase decorated with silver garland and turned into a spacious living room. Onew, Minho, and Taemin were sprawled on the massive leather couches that rested in front of the flickering marble fireplace. Taemin jumped up when he saw me.

                “Key hyung!!” He shouted, running toward me and enveloping me in a tight hug. I laughed and rested my chin on top of his head. He was wearing a dark green Christmas sweater decorated with white snowflakes, and someone had placed a bright blue bow on the top of his head.

                “Here!” He said with a smile, pulling a hot pink bow from his pocket. He reached up and stuck it to my hair, laughing as I made a face. He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the room. I sat next to him on the couch as Jonghyun took a seat at the other end.

                Taemin shoved a shallow, rectangular box into my hands. It was wrapped in sparkly red paper and topped off with an orange ribbon. “Open it!” He exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement. “I thought of you the second I saw it!”

                I held back tears once again as I gently pulled the paper from the box. I opened the lid and pulled out a bright turquoise jacket. The shape of a key was sewn into the right sleeve with silver thread. I put the jacket on my lap and pulled Taemin into a hug. He laughed and rested his head on my shoulder.

                “Do you like it, hyung?”

                “I love it, Minnie.” My voice broke slightly and I prayed that nobody had noticed. Onew leaned over Minho’s lap and handed me another box, this one smaller and wrapped in purple paper.

                “Open this next!” He said with a smile.

                I took the box slowly. Onew had bought me a present, too? I swallowed and tried once again to keep the tears from falling. I tore off the paper and opened the box to reveal a long silver necklace with a black key dangling from the end.

                “It matches your jacket!” Onew said, clapping his hands in excitement.

                I laughed and got up to give him a hug. After I had sat back down, Minho handed me another small box wrapped in blue paper.

                I gaped as I stared at the present. “Really…” I said softly. “You guys didn’t have to-”

                “Just open it,” Minho commanded.

                I nodded and obediently took the small box from its paper. Inside was a hot pink bracelet made up of interlocking chain links. I smiled as I thought of all the outfits it could go with. I reached over to hug Minho, surprised when he actually hugged me back.

                Jonghyun’s present was last. The firelight glinted off the green wrapping paper as he handed it to me. I shook my head. I had only known these people for a week, and they were already doing so much for me… I carefully pulled the paper off and opened the box it concealed. Inside, nestled among sheets of gauzy tissue paper, sat a pair of bright turquoise boots. They were the exact same shade as the jacket Taemin had given me, and everyone’s collaboration on the gifts made me want to cry again.

                “I love them, Jjong,” I whispered. He smiled slightly and nodded, blushing again. I looked down at the carpet. “Thank you guys. So much. You really have no idea how much it means to me… But… I feel awful. I didn’t get anything for you…”

                Onew laughed and gestured to the mess of boxes and bright wrapping paper strewn across the floor. “I think Taemin got enough for all of us,” he said.

                Taemin smiled happily. “I love giving presents~,” he sang. He leaned over and hugged me again, burying his face in my shoulder. “Besides, hyung. You already gave us all a big Christmas present. You moved here and we got to meet you. And that’s the best present ever! Christmas wouldn’t be the same without you.”

                I couldn’t hold back the tears at this point. I laughed lightly and tried to wipe them away, but my efforts were futile. I felt my face turn red as I tried to hide them. Taemin reached up and brushed them away with a smile.

                “Don’t cry, hyung. Everything’s all right.”

                “I know, Minnie. I know. I’m just happy, is all.” I hugged him tighter.

                A ringtone suddenly blared through the room, making us all jump. Minho pulled his phone out of his pocket and read the screen quickly.

                “My mom says I need to come back home,” he said, a confused look crossing his face. “I guess we had some family members come over at the last minute and it’s imperative that I meet them…”

                “Oh. Well, family is important,” Onew chimed in, nodding at Minho.

                “Sorry guys.” Minho stood up and made his way out of the room, picking up his presents as he went. “Thanks for the gifts, everyone! Merry Christmas!”

                “Merry Christmas!” We called in unison as he walked away.

                Taemin stared down at his hands, obviously a little confused as to what he should do now that Minho was gone.

                We all jumped again as Onew’s cell phone rang, blaring a popular U-KISS song throughout the living room. He fumbled with it for a second before he managed to hit the answer button.

                “Ne. Ne. But… Umma, I’m at Jonghyun’s… Everyone else is over here. Umma, wae? That’s so unfair… Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Fine, fine. I’ll be right over.” He sighed as he hung up. “My mom says I have to leave, too. Apparently her cooking skills are lacking just a bit, and she managed to set off all the smoke alarms in the house trying to make gravy. I swear, I’m the only one in my family who can cook…” He shook his head and stood up, gathering all of his gifts. “Thanks, you guys! Merry Christmas! I’ll see you soon!” He smiled brightly at us and walked away.

                I sighed as I took note of our dwindling group. I raised my eyebrows in disbelief as another ringtone began to chime. Taemin’s hand flew to his pocket in surprise.

                “No way,” I muttered as he glanced at the screen. “Don’t tell me you have to leave, too…”

                He shrugged and brought the phone up to his ear. “Ne, Minho hyung?” He nodded and his eyebrows lowered. “Why is she over there? Well… Ne, ne, I know, but… Aniyo, I don’t want to leave… Okay. All right… Fine, but you have to come back and pick me up. Okay…” He shut his phone and glanced down at the floor.

                “Why are you leaving with Minho?” I asked.

                “Apparently my family went over to his house, which is fine because we do that every year… But the members of Minho’s family who just came over are dying to meet me…”

                “Oh.” I looked down at my hands, folding and unfolding them in my lap. It was just going to be me and Jjong, all alone in this big old house of his…

                Taemin stood up when he received Minho’s text message. “He’s here now… I have to go.” He wrapped his arms around my neck and squeezed, causing me to laugh breathlessly. “Merry Christmas, hyung! I hope you have a wonderful day!” He ran over to Jonghyun and hugged him, too, thanking him for the gifts and picking up all of his boxes. He waved, smiling brightly as he headed out the door.

                An awkward silence followed, broken only when I cleared my throat and glanced at Jonghyun. “So where’s your family?” I asked softly.

                He shrugged. “My sister went to some overnight Christmas party with her friends from school, and my parents always go to dinner after they see a play, so they won’t be home for hours…”

                “Ahh. I see.” I fiddled with the hem of my shirt absently as I tried to think of what to say. Jonghyun seemed to be in deep thought until his eyes widened and a smile spread across his face. He stood up and gestured for me to follow him.

                “Come on,” he said, pulling on his shoes. “I have something to show you.”

                I obediently followed, pulling on my purple sneakers and coat. He opened the door and we stepped out into the freezing air. Small snowflakes danced in the breeze. Jonghyun stepped off the porch and onto the stone walkway surrounding his house. I pulled my coat up higher underneath my chin and trailed behind him.

                I became more curious as he rounded the corner. “Jjong, what are you-” I broke off in surprise as a fat snowball hit me right in the chest. I glanced down at my metallic coat, now marred with a large patch of glittering snow. Jonghyun laughed and threw another, but I dodged it easily and glared at him.

                “Two can play at that game,” I muttered, reaching down and gathering a ball of snow in my hands. Jonghyun’s head was bent over his snowball as he patted it into perfection. I smiled as I saw my window of opportunity. I threw the compacted snow as hard as I could, and Jonghyun fell over when it smacked into his head. I laughed and ran around the corner in an effort to protect myself.

                I screamed as Jonghyun flew around the corner, hurling snowballs at me as I tried to run away. One hit me square in the back of the head, and my hands flew up to my hair protectively. “You ruined my hair!” I yelled, gathering another snowball as quickly as I could.

                Jonghyun stuck his tongue out at me. “Try to catch me, diva!” He shouted.

                I rounded the corner and ran after him, throwing snowballs as I went. His laughter rang through the air as he continued to evade me. I ran faster, and the space between us dwindled quickly. When I was a mere three feet behind him, I wrapped my fingers around his wrist so he couldn’t escape. He spun around in surprise and lost his footing in the deep snow. He toppled backward, pulling me with him until we landed in a heap, spraying brilliant snow in all directions. We instantly burst out laughing.

                My laughter slowly died as I realized how close our faces were. I could feel his warm breath brushing my face as he laughed. Jonghyun opened his eyes and his laughter immediately ceased. His face turned a brilliant shade of red as he stared into my eyes. I felt myself begin to lean in, unsure of what I was doing. My eyes slipped closed as I felt his breath on my lips.

                “Key…” Jonghyun whispered. My eyes snapped open as he turned his face away. He sat up suddenly and stared at his feet. “It’s… It’s getting cold. Maybe we should…go back inside…” He stood up and all but ran back to the house, kicking up mounds of snow as he went.

                I ran my hands through my hair. What the hell had I been about to do? It was as if my body had switched to auto-pilot; I had no idea what I was doing or how to control it. I stood up and brushed the snow from my outfit, heading back to the house.  

                I kicked off my shoes and hung my coat up carefully, searching for Jonghyun. I found him in the kitchen, patiently stirring two cups of hot chocolate. He smiled slightly when he saw me. “Want one?” He asked, gesturing toward the mugs on the countertop. I noticed that he was avoiding my gaze.

                I walked over and picked one up, curling my stiff fingers around the warm handle. I took a sip and flinched as drops of flame slid down my throat.

                “Hot!” I gasped, sticking my tongue out and gesturing wildly.

                Jonghyun laughed. “That why it’s called hot chocolate. If you prefer lukewarm chocolate, you should have told me.”

                I pouted and glared at him, taking another careful sip. He turned and walked into the living room, where the fire was still blazing.

                I sat next to him on the couch, pulling my feet up and wrapping my arms around my knees. I glared at my mug of hot chocolate as it sat on the coffee table, sending innocent curls of steam into the air. The fire sent waves of heat through the room, loosening my frozen fingers and making my eyelids grow heavy. I fought against the fatigue, but it slowly began to drag me under.

Jonghyun’s POV

                I jumped as Key rested his head on my shoulder. His dark hair fell into his eyes, and some unknown portion of my heart made me reach up and brush it to the side. I felt myself blush as I remembered how close we had been in the snow. For the briefest of moments, I had considered closing that small amount of space between our lips. Then the sane, rational part of my brain took over and demanded that I turn my face away. I tried to convince myself that I was glad for that sane part of my brain, but some small part of me desperately wanted to give in to the other part, the part that made me blush at Key’s smiles and freeze at his touch.

                He’s interesting. Unique. That’s why you’re drawn to him. He’s just a welcome change from all the other people you’ve met. That was the rational part, the sane, normal part. The part I liked to listen to.

                Stop kidding yourself. You know it’s more than that. When are you going to open your eyes and see it? That was the other part. The confusing, frustrating part. The part I liked to listen to in a completely different way.

                The last part seemed to be winning today. No matter how much I tried to push it down, it overtook my thoughts and blinded me with images of his face.

                I froze as Key turned and muttered something in his sleep. His fingers softly closed around the fabric of my T-shirt, and I could feel his breath on my neck.

                “Jjong,” he whispered, his voice thick with fatigue. I brought my face closer to his so I could catch his words. He opened his eyes slowly and stared at me, resting his chin sleepily on my shoulder. “I don’t want to leave…”

                I closed my eyes and gave in to the confusing, frustrating part of my brain. I wrapped my arms around him, ignoring the sane, rational commands that flew through my mind. I heard his breath catch as I pressed my lips against his forehead.

                “Then don’t leave,” I whispered back. I rested my cheek against the top of his head and let my eyes slip shut, content to hold him in my arms as the slow rhythm of his breathing lulled me to sleep.

 

 

     Yahh! I had a lot of fun writing this one... ke ke ke. ^;^ Sorry it's been a little while since I updated... I kept meaning to get around to it... but the stupid freaking movie theater doesn't close on Christmas! So I've been working...and working...and working some more. I really hate my job. -_-  I need a new one... So I have to get up early tomorrow to go to work again, but I NEEDED to update... soooo I'll just be really tired. And that's okay. ^;^  I hope you like this chapter as much as I do... <3 Let me know what you think! P.S. Sorry if the font looks different... I think my laptop's having a spazz attack... But the font is weird. It's bugging me. -_-