Storm Clouds

A Personal Sunrise

Taemin’s POV

                I glanced down at my shoes to hide how badly I was blushing. The red canvas was covered in patches of flour, and I tapped my foot against the floor in an effort to clean it off.

                What the hell were you thinking, Taemin? You can’t just kiss Minho in front of everyone. You can’t kiss Minho EVER. Just because you love him, doesn’t mean he loves you back. He isn’t gay. He doesn’t think of you that way.

                The small things were okay. I could hold his hand. I could hug him and tell him that I never wanted him to leave. I could rest my head on his shoulder. But anything more than that was forbidden. The small things could just be passed off as innocent skinship: the sweet, innocent maknae looking for affection. I couldn’t let anyone see how deep my affection really ran.

                I glanced at Minho from the corner of my eye and sighed inwardly. His face was bright red, and he was obviously extremely embarrassed.

                Aish~ Taemin, you’ve really screwed up this time.

                I turned away and mechanically added more flour to the dough. I stirred it furiously and tried to forget about what I had done. Bits of sticky dough flew from the bowl and streaked across the countertop. My stirring slowed as Minho’s hand came to rest on top of mine.

                “Slow down, Taemin-ah. You’re making the mess worse.”

                I closed my eyes. He had absolutely no idea how true that statement really was. The mess that Minho had completely made of my heart… Yes, I had just made it so much worse.

                “Sorry…,” I muttered, brushing my hair out of my eyes. I’m sorry about what I just did. I swear it won’t happen again.

                Minho’s fingers tightened around mine. “Taemin-ah, are you all right?”

                I nodded. “Ne, hyung. I’m fine. I just want to…finish this.”

                He hesitated for an instant before pulling his hand away. “Okay…”

                “Yah, are you two done?” Key called. “Save all that stuff for later, okay? It’s not appropriate for my innocent eyes.” He covered his eyes dramatically and pulled a face. Jonghyun scoffed derisively and looked away.

                I studied Jonghyun carefully. He was sitting with his body angled slightly away from Key, and he seemed to be avoiding his gaze at all costs. I felt the sting of disappointment creep into my chest. Had my Christmas idea failed? They didn’t seem closer at all; if anything, they were more distant than they had been. What had gone wrong?

                I pondered over this as I finished the dough and placed the last batch of cookies in the oven. I was sure Key hadn’t left Jonghyun alone… So… Did something happen between them? Did they get in an argument? Or did they get...a little too close? Either way, it needed to be fixed. I had to figure out what had happened.

                “So…,” I drawled, leaning on the counter and running my hands through a small pile of discarded flour. “I feel really bad that I had to leave your Christmas party, Jonghyun hyung. Minho hyung feels terrible, too. It can’t have been much fun with only you and Key hyung…”

                Jonghyun laughed lightly and kept his eyes fixed on his jar of frosting. “Taemin-ah, that was almost a month ago. It’s okay, I promise.”

                I put on my best pout face. “I know, hyung, but I never got a chance to fully apologize for it. We just left you and Key hyung all alone…”

                I smiled in triumph as a slight blush began to creep up his face. His eyes darted over to Key before settling back on the frosting. So something had happened. I wasn’t about to let him off the hook.

                “It really was dull, though, sitting with all those relatives. They’re so boring. What did you two do?”

                Even Key was anxious now. He glanced around the room several times before sliding off of his chair and rinsing the frosting from his knife in the kitchen sink. Jonghyun cleared his throat softly and ran a hand through his hair.

                “Nothing much,” he said breezily, leaning back in his chair. I could tell he was aiming for a casual tone, but he was failing miserably. “Just sat around…and…talked. Drank hot chocolate and stuff like that.”

                I raised an eyebrow. He was a terrible liar. “Really?” I pressed. “Is that all? That sounds a bit dull if you ask me…”

                Jonghyun shrugged. Key was still at the sink, intently watching the warm water that spilled over the silvery metal of the knife, even though all the frosting had long since ran down the drain.

                Minho smirked. He knew what was going through my head. “Is that really all? Talking and drinking hot chocolate aren’t things that should make you blush like a schoolgirl, Jonghyun. And Key, that knife got clean a long time ago. Stop wasting Taemin’s water and come sit down.”

                Key glanced up from the sink and slowly turned the water off. He returned to his chair and idly ran his finger through the thin film of flour coating the countertop.

                “I want you guys to be honest with us, okay? We can tell that things aren’t right between you two. You’ve been acting really strange lately. Does it have anything to do with the Christmas party?”

                There was no reply. I chuckled under my breath. Leave it to Minho to get straight to the point.

                “Did you guys get into an argument?”

                Jonghyun shook his head slightly. Key brushed his hair out of his eyes and looked out the window. I saw the edge of Minho’s mouth curl up in a small smile. He was the only one who could make Key and Jonghyun act like this; they both seemed at a loss for words.

                Minho’s voice grew softer. “Did you kiss?”

                Jonghyun’s blush deepened as he bit his lip. Key tore his gaze away from the window to shoot Minho an annoyed look.

                “Of course not,” he said, his eyes flashing with some unknown emotion. “Why the hell would you even think that?”

                Minho glared at him. “Considering the way Jonghyun is blushing right now,” he said, gesturing toward Jonghyun’s bright red face. “I’d say you’re lying.”

                “He’s only blushing at the idea,” Key muttered. “You did, after all, suggest that he might have kissed one of his closest friends. It’s a bit embarrassing to think about.”

                Jonghyun nodded vigorously without looking up.

                Minho laughed lightly. “Babo, we all know he’s blushing because he wants to.”

                “Don’t even start, Minho,” Jonghyun interjected coldly. “If we’re going to talk about wanting anything, we should talk about how badly you want Taemin.”

                I froze. Wait. What?

                I looked up at Minho questioningly. He blushed and looked away.

                “Shut up, Jonghyun,” he muttered.

                “What is he talking about, hyung…?” I asked softly. Was Jonghyun messing with me, trying to raise my hopes by pretending that Minho really loved me back? I saw Minho’s fingers curl into a fist.

                “Nothing, Taemin-ah. Ignore him.”

                His cold tone wrapped my heart in a coat of ice. I had allowed myself to hope, if only for a second, but his icy words crushed my rising spirits.

                “Nothing?” Jonghyun scoffed. “Nothing. Really. You know we can see it. Key sees it, too, and he’s only known you two for a little while! Don’t talk about any of my feelings when you’re too much of a coward to admit your own!”

                “Oh, you’re one to talk!” Minho retorted, his voice rising. My mother had retreated to her room upstairs when they all came, and I prayed she couldn’t hear this. “Has anyone told you lately that you’re the biggest hypocrite to ever walk the Earth? I told you I would confess, and I will! You’re too dense to even see what’s right in front of you!” He gestured toward Key, and his eyes blazed. He was really angry now. “He’s standing right there, Jonghyun! Go on! Tell him how much you love him!”

                Jonghyun’s mouth fell open in surprise. A pained look crossed Key’s face, and he slowly pushed his chair back.

                “Stop it, you two. I don’t want to hear any more.” His voice was soft but forceful, and Minho and Jonghyun both glanced at him in surprise. He wrapped his arms around me briefly before telling me goodbye and walking out the front door.

                Jonghyun looked back and forth between us with an anxious expression. “I…,” he began. He ran his hand through his hair and bolted to the front door, twisting the handle impatiently until it flew open. A sharp breeze blew through the house, and the ominous rainclouds from earlier that day were crowding on the horizon.

                “Key!” Jonghyun shouted. The wind tangled his hair as he stood in the doorway.

                Key stopped at the edge of the porch and turned around hesitantly. Jonghyun slipped his jacket off his shoulders and held it out.

                “It’s cold, you idiot. And it’s starting to rain.”

                Key shook his head and muttered something before turning away and heading toward the street. Large raindrops spattered on the asphalt as he made his way home. Jonghyun stood in the doorway with his jacket in his hands.

                “Jonghyun hyung,” I called softly. “Come back inside… He’ll be okay…”

                Jonghyun shook his head and shut the door with more force than was necessary. “I just don’t want him to catch a cold, is all,” he mumbled. “He’d get the rest of us sick.” He looked at the clock on the living room wall and rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. “You said you’d confess, Minho. So do it. Everything will be better once you do. I have to go now, but… I’ll see you guys later. Okay?”

                We both nodded mutely and watched as he headed out into the rain. The door shut behind him with a resonating thud.

                I stared at the chaotic countertops and tried to sort through everything that had just happened.

                “Minho hyung,” I whispered. “What…was that all about…?”

                Minho closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “It was nothing, Taemin. Forget about it.” His voice was as frigid as a Seoul winter, and I felt the cold seeping through my veins. Tears pooled in my eyes against my will, and I turned away before he could see them. My traitorous breath caught in my throat as I tried to hide my pain. The sound was deafening in the silent kitchen.

                I felt Minho’s hand gently brush the top of my head. “Taemin-ah.” His voice was tight. “Don’t cry… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean…”

                I pushed his arm away and made my way out to the front porch. The rain fell in sheets, pounding against the rooftop and numbing my thoughts with its relentless melody. Minho lightly grabbed my wrist and tried to bring me back inside. I jerked my arm from his grasp and ran down the steps into the rain, grateful for the precipitation that mingled with my tears and made them invisible.

                “Taemin-ah!” He called from the doorway. “Come inside! You’ll catch a cold like this!”

                “Tell me the truth, Minho hyung!” I shouted, cringing as my voice broke. “What did Jonghyun hyung mean? What was he talking about? I think I deserve to know!”

                Minho ran a hand through his hair and slowly made his way down the steps. The rain sparkled like diamonds against his dark hair as he moved toward me, and his eyes harbored some deep emotion that gave his face a look of somber anticipation.

Minho’s POV

                Taemin’s red hair was plastered to his head with the weight of a thousand raindrops. His wide eyes glistened with tears as he watched me move closer. My arms ached to wrap around him and hold him close, to dry his tears and prove to him that everything would be all right. The weight of my unspoken adoration pressed against my shoulders and shot lightning through my heart.

                He does deserve to know. I told Jonghyun I would confess… I have to do it.

                His damp hair fell into his eyes as he looked up at me. The rain ran in sparkling rivulets down his face and dripped from his chin like the tears of an angel.

                He is my angel. And he shouldn’t have to cry because of me.

                I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “Taemin-ah. We’ve… we’ve been friends for such a long time. You know…that… you’re the best friend I’ve ever had. And… and I would do anything for you. You… You know that… Right?”

                Taemin nodded. He hesitantly reached up and brushed a few of the raindrops from my face. His fingers shook, and I placed my hand over his, holding it to my face with a conviction I didn’t know I had.

                “It’s difficult,” I continued. “I don’t really know…what to say. Taemin-ah, I want you to believe in me. I want you to count on me. Lean on me when no one is there to support you, talk to me when no one else will listen, cry on my shoulder when nobody can see your tears. I want to be that for you. I’ll always be by your side… You can always count on me. I’ll never leave you…”

                The weight on my shoulders began to lessen as I spilled the innermost contents of my heart to the beautiful boy in front of me. The rain continued to fall, washing away my doubts as I stared into his eyes.

                “Taemin-ah,” I whispered. I laced my fingers through his and pressed my lips against his hand. “I know you don’t feel the same way… And I’m all right with that.” My voice broke and I closed my eyes. “But I have to tell you… You deserve to know… That no matter what, I will always, always -”

                My words were cut off as Taemin wrapped his arms around my neck and pressed his lips against mine. My eyes flew open and I staggered back in surprise. Taemin stepped with me and twisted his fingers into my hair, refusing to let me go. My eyes slipped closed again and I wrapped my arms around his waist, sinking into the embrace as the rain seemed to fall in time with the beating of my heart.

                Too soon, he pulled away, and I opened my eyes to see him watching me with a small smile on his face. His fingers were still entwined in my hair, and I could feel his breath caressing my face.

                “You complete idiot,” he whispered, brushing his lips against my cheek. “You honestly thought I didn’t feel the same way? After all the hints I gave?”

                My blood was rushing in my ears, and my head felt fuzzy. I loosened my grip around his waist and took a few steps back. Was this really happening? Did Taemin really just…kiss me? He laughed and took both of my hands in his.

                “Yah, don’t look so surprised. You are extremely unobservant, Choi Minho. How could you not see that I am desperately” –he wrapped his arms around me- “hopelessly” – his lips hovered mere inches from mine as his voice dropped to a whisper- “in love with you?”

                “Taemin-ah,” I whispered. “I will always, always love you more than life itself.” His eyes slipped closed as I ran my hand along the side of his face. “You will never have even the remotest idea of how much you mean to me.”

                I brushed his soaked hair back and pressed my lips against his forehead. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head against my chest.

                “We should go inside,” I whispered after several minutes of standing motionless in the pouring rain, savoring the feeling of his arms around me. “We’re both going to get sick.”

                “Ne hyung,” he mumbled, pulling back slowly and lacing his fingers through mine.

                We made our way back inside, and Taemin grabbed several towels and blankets from the closet upstairs. He laughed as he threw a dark green towel over my head and collapsed onto the couch, rubbing his hair dry with a fluffy towel in a bright turquoise shade. When he pulled the towel away, his hair stuck out in all directions as if he had been electrocuted. I laughed and ran my fingers through it until it lay relatively flat. He wrapped his fingers around my wrist and pulled me down next to him, brushing his lips against my neck.

                “Stay right here with me,” he whispered.

                “Always,” I whispered back. I wrapped a blanket securely around his shoulders and pulled him close. He rested his head on my shoulder and pulled me into his warm embrace. I sighed in contentment and quietly sang a soft, soothing melody as he fell asleep.

                I kissed his nose lightly and rested my head on top of his. “I love you, Taemin-ah,” I said softly, wrapping my arms around him. “More than you will ever know.”

 

 

        Ke ke ke ^;^  I've been waiting for this chapter~  <3  I stayed up late to write it... I wouldn't have been able to sleep with all these ideas bouncing around inside my head. -_-  Anyways~ I'm tired now, but I must say I'm pretty happy with this chapter. ^;^  I hope you guys like it, too! <3

Let me know what you think about this 2Min overload...

Comments make my day bright and happy~  ^;^  <3 <3  Now I'm off to school... *sigh*

Have a wonderful, fantastic elastic day~! And I love you all~  <3 <3  ^;^