Chapter 15

V: The Washington Crisis

The Scientists registration scheme was set up at every police headquarters in the country, and no doubt the world.

Commander Gerald smiled as he oversaw the first such device get installed at the main police precinct in Washington.

Ralph Harrison was present with his film crew, microphone up to his mouth he spoke towards the camera gesturing his arm towards what was happening behind him.

"So...it is very easy and simple to register...", began the newsman for the benefit of his viewers, "...you just need to go apply for one of these...", he held up a creditcard like piece of plastic, "...the micro-chip inside will record your personal details and those of your immediate family...and then it is simply scanned into one of these devices..."

Gerald took the card from him and scanned it through the machine where the police chief stood with a selection of high ranking police officers.

The flagship commander looked up, "Police officers will be trained to use this simple and effective way of registering...the precedure will start off here in Washington and then will quickly commence throughout the country and the world..."

Ralph turned to the camera and put the mic to his mouth, "thank you Commander Gerald...from all of us here in Washington DC police headquarters, back to you Kristine..."

Ralph lowered the mic and turned to watch an array of excited police officers crowd the alien registration device, all wanting to know the in's and out's, and how it worked.

Ralph was about to instruct his crew to start packing up the set up when Gerald strolled over and smiled, "Ralph...all went well I am pleased to report..."

"Thank you, Commander..."

"So...are your private quarters aboard the mothership up your high standard?"

Ralph painted on the biggest of smiles - only if to disguise the fact that he had no intention of spending long periods aboard the flagship.

"they are perfect", he quickly replied gathering up some cables.

Gerald could detect the nervous undertone to the rely - he had already been informed earlier by Jason, that Ralph had seen the human intake aboard the mothership, the ones that were scheduled to be processed at the final area - he decided to test the newsman.

"Are you alright Ralph? If I may ask, you seen alittle...troubled"

The Newsman sighed, and decided to just come out and ask outright of what had been troubling him all day.

"When I was aboard the mothership...I saw these people...they looked scared, right out of their minds...like they had been taken up there against their will, or something..."

Gerald clicked his tongue and placed a hand around Ralphs shoulders and eased him away from the news techncians, "look...I am sorry you had to see that...they were part of a terrorist organisation employed by the scientists linked to this conspiracy...with the cells filled up to the hilts here, we promised the police department we'd help out with the over-crowding and detain them aboard the mothership..."

"But one of them was...killed"

"No, no...just stunned...he is recovering as we speak...so now, please do not fret and worry over things you not need to worry yourself about..."

Ralph nodded and went back to help his colleagues.

"Ralph...you are either with us..." Gerald trailed off...

... empathising what didn't need saying.

VVV

The shuttle flew over Washington DC. In the back, Ben Greene looked out as the darkening skies brought the lights out in the distant neighnourhoods. He turned his head from the window, "my parents will be worried...but I am so thrilled and grateful for this Greg - this is awesome"

Greg stood near him and smiled, "You deserve it"

Ben shrugged, "Yeah, just because I am top of the training league now...Randy was sure not pleased...infact he really hates the fact that it was ME who overpowered him three times in corps marking...", he chuckled sadly, "...mind you, he hates ME period!"

Ben wished he could explain it to the Visitor, but the young alien seemed to understand the young human. Greg came and sat next to him on the bunkand considered him, "hates you for what? For being different -beingdifferent is good - being different is interesting..."

Ben looked up to him and their eyes held for a second before Ben broke contact feeling suddenly shy.

Amused, Greg reached out and with his hand turned Ben's cheek to face him, "You are fast becoming my favourite human, Ben...it bothered me before, but now I have accepted it"

Ben swallowed down feeling confused, "You...do you find me attractive? I didn't think there were guys like me on Sirius"

Greg didn't really know what Ben was implying, but he came to conclude, "...I am different, like you Ben..."

The alien then slipped his hand into Ben's so they were linked and both of then looked at eachother...each an echo of a smile forming.

VVV

Toni Morrell parked her VW beetle outside the suburban house and got out onto the icy street.

She had just registered - all scientists and their families had to register their whereabouts since reports of the scientists conspiracy more than a week ago. At the police precinct, she had felt like a criminal, an outcast - the way they looked at her like she was apart of the conspiracy - it was ludicious - she wasn't any part of it - nor did she know anybody who was.

She strode up the walk and pressed the doorbell. Jenny Morgan opened the door.

"Jenny! Are you not looking after Carla today!", Toni was stressed out and didn't mean to jump down the teenagers throat.

Jenny was about to answer, when her father Jamie shoved his daughter aside and glared coldly at Toni, "No Mrs Morrell, my daughter will not be taking care of your child today, tomorrow or ever!"

Toni shook her head in sheer disbelief, "What? But Why?", then the reality hit her, "Oh...it is because I am a scientist, isn't it? Well, you need not worry, I HAVE registered!"

Jamie folded his arms barring the doorway, "I don't like it - the neighbours don't like it - nobody in their right mind should like it - now clear off my property or I will call the cops!"

Toni backed off and was aware of people looking from across the street pointing, and then two Visitors walked by glancing as they did so.

Jenny looked embarrassed and ran inside, Jamie then stood back and slammed the front door in Toni's face.

VVV

Ross Morrell was fed up. All week long his colleague workers were fast becoming hostile with him and his closest friends started to keep their distance.

Once he had supervised yet more of the chemical compound onto a Visitor cargo carrier, he helped detach the super cooled hoses and watch the craft rise up into the sky over the plant and fly up towards it's Mothership destination above.

He then stormed across the platforms and catwalks passing human and Visitor techncians along the way towards Alex Fishers office.

Ross barged in where Alex and Adam were in talks over extended plans for the plant and it's 24 hour cycle.

"That's it! I've had enough here!" He threw his yellow hard hat to the desk, "I QUIT! - I've just about had enough - just because my wife is a scientist I'm allowed to be treated like a lepper! Well NOT anymore...supervise your own men!"

And with that, Ross stormed out as quickly as he had entered.

Alex was left speechless and dropped to his chair - Adam on the otherhand looked towards Ross's exit and narrowed is eyes...

VVV

Joey Carter walked up the tree lined street. He just had a pig of a day, and to top it all he had been kicked out of college for fighting another student who was calling him a dirty scientists kid.

The principal took their side! And he was out on his ears. He crossed the street as a car went by and a squad vehicle cruised over head and came to the junction.

Up ahead, there was some kind of cordon. He paused in his tracks and saw a couple being arrested by two Visitor troopers and a couple of cops.

"We've found the records in your home Dr Parker - you must come with us quietly, making no fuss or you will only make things worse for yourself...", told the Visitor woman.

"Good work Phillipa", said a cop standing with the police car door open.

Sean Steele, the other police officer, looked at boy who had just walked up. He looked like he had taken a beating off somebody.

"What going on?", asked the boy.

Sean straightened his cap and looked at him sharply, "Nothing for you to worry about kid, now shoot...it's not good to be here"

Joey backed away and glanced around to see the Visitor girl that was called Phillipa shove her prisoner up against the car so hard that he screamed out in pain.

"You've broken his arm...", he heard someone say. Joey quickened his pace, his ownparents were scientists. His father was a doctor and his mother was a lab tech...were they apart of the conspiracy...

...and if they were, would they get taken, like what all the rumours suggested...

VVV

Ben Greene stared into space. It was like he was on another planet, and he was supposed to be working on a project with Caitlin Ryan for college.

Caitlin looked up at him from where they sat at the dining room table, "I felt so sorry for Joey today...just because his parents are scientists they wrecked up his chemistry project...and they beat him up too...Randy and his friends"

Ben looked up at her and shrugged, pen tip to his mouth, "Yeah...It's all since this conspiracy business...I guess that they could be involved"

Caitlin glared at him, "What? This is Joey's family we are talking about here!"

"That doesn't mean to say they are not involved", shot back Ben.

Caitlin closed up her file and looked at her friend, "Are you alright? You seem to be acting real wierd lately...you never call, and you spent all your time at that Visitor corp scheme...I know you like it, but you're getting obsessed!"

Ben met her eyes, "You don't know anything...look...maybe you should go...I've gotta go polish my boots"

Caitlin clawed up all her stuff and stood up looking down at him, "Careful...you may never know when you might need your friends...your REAL friends", and then she stormed off, Ben looked after her and slowly let out a sigh, "Caitlin wait...", but she was gone.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX