Chapter 10

V: The Washington Crisis

Edward Kennedy came out from the meeting at the White House with the Visitors Supreme Commander and the President.

Neil Armstrong shook hands with both of them, "I need to be at another meeting with the Vice-President -we'll discuss those other issues next time John..."

John responded with a smile and watched the President hurry off up the corridor with his aids. Edward was about to bade farewell himself when he noticed the doors open to the alien leaders office - he was amazed by the transformation.

"John...how wonderful!", he gasped as he stepped in the door way, the Supreme Commander was close behind him watching Edward closely, "you approve to you Mr Kennedy?"

Edward waved his arm into the direction of the desk - it was now all hi-tech that had been built in by John's scientific staff, "...this is all so very modern...it looks very complicated"

John smiled and dismissed it all with a wave of the hand, "It's nothing more than a device that helps me stay in touch with my fleet"

Edward went over to the desk to make a closer inspection, "your team have been busy..."

He then looked across to John, "I was wondering...have you seen anything of my secretary , Rachel Spencer...she hasn't turned in for two days and I am getting no answer from her at home"

John shook his head, "I am sorry to hear that - and I am afraid I cannot seem to place her face...but, I must say...", John thought it best to swiftly change the subject, "...I must congratulate you on your new position here - Gerald informed me that you were a fine candidate, and I can see that he was right..."

Edward was overwhelmed by the alien leaders praise, "why, thank you Supreme Commander - that is very kind of you to say"

John took his arm and ushered him out the door to the corridor, "Now, you must excuse me...I have some pressing matters to attend to with my fleet"

Edward took his hand with a firm handshake, "Of course...thank you again Supreme Commander", and then he was on his way up the corridor.

John turned his head to see Commander Gerald approach him from the opposite direction with two of his men. The alien leader's usual warm smile faded to something more serious, "Gerald, I must commend you...Edward Kennedy is a perfect choice to replace Cole Landsbury - I am sure he will meet to our needs precisely..."

The flagship Commander smiled, the Supreme leader was pleased and he was sure to be rewarded - maybe a promotion, "thank you Supreme Commander, my thoughts exactly...", he said smuggly with his hands behind his back and standing to attention, "Now, your personal shuttle awaits you..."

VVV

Ralph Harrison had been working hard over the last few days. He had followed the Visitor film crews around bringing forth up-to-date news on the life saving chemical gas the aliens were making to save their dying planet.

After a long shift he returned to the TV studios with a selection of tapes and interviews in the can.

Susan Feldman turned from her coffee break to see a Visitor standing standing right behind Ralph, he was holding a helmet under his arm.

"Will that be all Mr Harrison?", asked the Visitor pilot.

Ralph nodded his head at him, "yes Jason, you can go - have you got a copy of my schedule for tomorrow?"

Jason nodded, "Of course Mr Harrison, I'll have your shuttle standing by", he said in his low vibrating tone.

Ralph nodded and the alien strode off. Susan crushed her coffee carton and came over to him, "So...they've given you your own pilot now I see"

Ralph laughed and there was a boasting element in his tone, "My own Shuttle as well! As and when I need it - and believe me, it cuts down alot of precious time"

"Aren't you getting alittle bit too involved?", asked Susan worriedly.

Ralph turned as he pulled his jacket on, "Ohh not this again Susan, come on - this is all doing my career a world of good - giving it a real boost - who knows what will come of it - it could be a springboard to some really great things in the future!"

Susan folded her arms across her chest, "is it? taking their views over your own - censoring this - removing that - I've seen it all on the cutting room floor, and remember I told you that the Visitor leader doesn't want us to put them in a bad light..."

Ralph shrugged at her, he really wasn't getting her, "Yeah...So?"

"What do they wantWhat are they hiding, do you think?", Susan cried - hands up in the air.

Ralph stacked the tapes and chuckled, "they aren't hiding anything! I think that YOU are just being paranoid - or maybe just abit jealous - like I was when Kristine Walsh got the Visitor spokeperson job...just do as I did, it up and deal with it..."

"and just like HER you are becoming their mouthpiece!", warned Susan.

Ralph turned his back on her, "look, I haven't got time for this - I've got to get up early in the morning and have a long day ahead of me...I'm interviewing the Secretary of State, I have a lot to prepare, so I'll see you tomorrow"

"You are a fool Ralph!", called out Susan after him, "a damned greedy fool..."

VVV

Police Officer Sean Steele entered the precinct with Jimmy Winters, they went up to the front desk where Helena Shaw sat.

"Hi there...what's this, a double shift?", teased Helena, "...or is it because you twos can't get enough of me"

Sean removed his cap, "Doug Whetheral never showed up today...that's three officers out in a week!"

Jimmy leaned his elbow on top of the counter, "he's right - I can do with the extra shifts, but this is too much man"

Helena waved her hand, "they're just sick or something, I'd expect"

Jimmy leaned forward and lowered his tone of voice, "if you want my opinion, they are making room...", although his voice was hushed, both Helena and Sean detected a tense edge to it.

Helena was intrigued, "room...for who?", she asked with her hand beneath her chin.

"Well...", he looked towards the foyer entrance as two Visitor troopers and their captain stepped inside with the police chief.

"The chief's said himself in our last briefing that we are going to be joined...by them", he said.

Sean considered this and shrugged, "I'd give them the benefit of the doubt...they could be of help to us, who knows...and I'm telling you one thing, I'd sure like to have a go at one of those laser guns of theirs", he laughed.

Jimmy however, wasn't as accommodating, "What's it all about? Why are they getting involved with our security issues anyway...?"

Helena put her hands together admiring the Visitor Captain that was chatting with the Police Chief nearby, "Oooo I don't know...I think it might be quite interesting to have them around and very easy on the eye as well...", she chuckled playfully.

Sean laughed out loud, "Helena! You flirt, you really don't change do you!"

Jimmy half heartedly joined in with the banter, but he could feel the Visitor Captain's eyes on him.

VVV

Ralph Harrison had completed his interview with the Secretary of State. He shook Fred Follery's hand and watched him drive off in his Limousine. Visitor Sub-Commander Michele waited on the grass where they stood outside the Capitol building. She had overseen the interview.

"Ralph, I must congratulate you - you are really doing a fantastic job, Kristine Walsh should watch her back"

Ralph went red, "thanks...that's very kind of you to say...but I'm sure Kris wouldn't like it if she'd heard you say that"

Michele put her hands behind her back and they strolled to the waiting news van on the corner, "do not put yourself down Ralph...sometimes you have to go for what you want in life Ralph...never hold yourself back...unlike that colleague news woman of yours..."

She watched Ralph's reaction carefully as he stopped in his tracks and turned, "Who? Susan Feldman...she's okay, just abit highly strung, that's her problem"

Michele didn't return the smile as they watched the news crew load up the van. Ralph was ready to go, "right - I have another job to get to across town, I'll see you again Sub-Commander..."

Michele nodded her head in the sunshine, "Indeed Ralph - indeed"

She watched him hurry across the grass to his waiting personal shuttle, Michele turned around to see her Visitor Captain and his men approach from the opposite direction.

"Ahhhh Kyle, all well at the police precinct?"

Kyle shook his head holding his helmet under his arm, "Yes Sub-commander, there are a few more unwanted obstacles to deal with, but a part from that..."

Michele smiled, "good...and what about the other matter?"

Both Kyle and Michele watched Ralph's shuttle lift off into the air and fly over the dome of the Capitol.

"yes Sub-Commander - she is no longer a problem..."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX