Chapter 1

V: The Washington Crisis
A/n: All rights for V belong to Kenneth Johnson. The Characters of Kristine Walsh and John the vistor sepreme commander are the property of Kenneth Johnson. All original characters are my own.
 
 
                                                                                                                       PART ONE
                                                                                                                       The Arrival
 
                                                                          
 
The gigantic UFO had been hovering over the nation's capital for several hours. It had all started in the early hours for the President of the United States. He had been woken up by his closest aides.
The President's advisors had taken the elevator up to the first familys living quarters at the White House. The President's wife, Gillian Armstrong stood in the doorway of the main bedroom, the low lamp was on and she was half asleep herself.
"Does anyone know what is going on?"
"Not really Ma'am...", answered Tony Kelski, the President's chief of staff, "....well, not yet anyways, but UFO's have been sighted over New York, Dallas, St Louis and several cities across Europe"
Gillian pulled her dressing gown around her, "What about....", she glanced up to the ceiling. Kelski shook his head, "no sightings in this area as of now"
She looked like she was blowing out a sign of relief as she went to wake her husband. Neil Armstrong was gently shaken and the most powerful man in the country was up in an instant.
Secretary of State, Fred Follery informed him about the strange UFO sightings appearing right across the planet.  Neil rubbed his eyes in a daze, it was just all so hard to take in. He got dressed and started to view the news reports on the TV portible, it seemed that very cable channel he switched to had coverage of massive UFO's hovering like halo's over world cities.
Passing through the french doors of his office, the President was just as relieved as his wife before him that there was no such craft in Washington's night sky. There was nothing up there but the constellations....
Until midday the next day....
VVV
The October sun was obscured quickly as the monsterous circular form of the massive UFO passed over head. 
The citizens of Washington were still surprized, even though the breakfast news had been reporting nothing else. But all that had been somewhere else, not here over Washington DC...not until now.
VVV
As the hours passed and more and more of the UFO's were reported all around the planet, Ralph Harrison, a leading news anchor-man in Washington stared up at the images on the studio monitors. His blue eyes fixed on the many pictures that flashed up on the screens, another new one was reported from Paris in France.
His colleague Susan Feldman continued to bring the nation's captial the news. Ralph couldn't help himself, he was absolutely tranfixed by the mysterious monsterous  crafts. Tom Hunter, a camerman, turned to him as he swung the TV camera around on it's casters.
"What if they are hostile? I hope the military are being stepped up just in case of"
Ralph shrugged his shoulders but didn't look at him as he responded, "look...if they were hostile, they'd been raining down their death rays or something by now, huh? Relax"
VVV
Student Caitlin Ryan looked up to the massive UFO from where she stood clutching her books on the college green. The beeping and honking of car horns and emergency sirens echoed out all around her as mass panic erupted across the city.
She jolted as as Joey Carter placed a hand over her shoulder from behind, "Hey Caitlin...aren't you not going home?"
Caitlin turned to to face him, removing her shades, "What's the point? All the roads are blocked...and I've heard there's been a stampede that's stopped the Metro...anyways all the routes to George town are totally impassable"
Joey s an arm around her waist as they strolled across the grass, "Hey...I could always walk you"
Caitlin shrugged him off as Angela Kennedy came running over to them, "Hey guys! Isn't this totally cool? Maybe this is all the start of a real alien invasion, huh?"
Caitlin rolled her eyes at her, Angela was known to over- exaggerate things.
"Don't be so stupid!", she then stomped off clutching her books, Angela watched her go and turned to Joey, "Gee...what's her problem?"
VVV
At the White House the President looked up to the massive new comer that was stationary over Washington.
The vibration had stopped, seeming to signal that the UFO wasn't intending to traverse any further.
Coming back in through the french doors into his office, Neil was staring at the facts that his hard working team had come up with over the hours since this unknown menace at begun.
Of the craft, there was at least 50 of them, hovering over most of the worlds capital cities. 
Each UFO was circular and at least 3 miles across, and since their abrupt arrival they had made no notion or noise.
The secretary of defense Morgan Mason had sent up US air force jets to fire missiles at the gigantic vessels after reporting that there hadn't been any response from hailing the sinister UFO's.
Upon firing, all the missiles guidence systems had been interferred with by some unknown defense force from the mystery alien ships, and all of the missiles exploded well out of range of their set targets. All of this had been reported back to the White House.
US airman Collins in the lead squadron could only look on as the missiles he had fired out from his jet, blasted towards the giant hulk of a vessel that hovered above the cloud line. Both missiles sunk and exploded safely out of range.
"Unbelieveable", the pilot uttered
The Presidents press secretary Eren Leigh advised him of the initial panic in Washington after it's UFO had shown up, and reports from the media across the States stated that mass panic had caused many citizens to start fleeing the major cities effected by the on-going crisis.
 VVV
Caitlin Ryan managed to get home as the President came on the TV urging the nations populance not to panic - for the mystery craft up to now, portrayed no hostile intent. Juliet Ryan hugged her daughter tightly as she came into the living room, "Ohh Caitlin honey...I was so worried...I called the college, but all of the lines were jammed...and then the neighbours packed up and fled..."
Caitlin shook her head at her trying to calm her down, "Gee Mom...the Presidents just told us...everythings going to be okay...you'll see...."
VVV
Kathleen Wagner sipped her decaf and looked up as her lawyer boss Ray Tomlinson came towards her with a dictorfone.
"Some important documentation to be sent off to these clients Miss Wagner", he groaned, "and a coffee if at all possible"
Kath stood up from her office desk and followed Ray out into the corridor to grab a cup of coffee from the nearby perkulator - Hmmmm - she could smell it.
Suddenly her friend from the 12th floor cried out to her, "Kath, Kath! Come and watch upstairs!"
Kath looked up to her over-excited friend and smiled, "Gee Maggie, where's the fire?"
Maggie snatched her friends hand and dragged her up into the elevator. Once they had reached Maggie's floor, Kath was dragged along again, this time into the rest room, "Look!", Maggie pointed no sooner had they stepped over the freshold.
Kath followed her finger to the source of the excitement drawn around her to the small rest room portible TV.
She looked up at it, and nearly choked. She couldn't quite believe what she was seeing on the screen. She could see quite clearly a UFO floating over the Statue of Liberty in New York.
"Isn't it great!!", she heard Maggie coo. Kath shook her head, she really didn't know what to say.
VVV
Ralph Harrison had left the Washington news studios that afternoon. The initial panic had subsided as he took a cab from outside the studios to his plush appartment he owned in Capitol hill.
From the traffic jam, Ralph looked up to the UFO that halo'ed the white capitol dome.
"Fantastic!", he breathed.
XXXX