Chapter 11

V: The Washington Crisis

Angela Kennedy gazed out of the portal window to see Washington DC in all it's glory below them.

Beth Cordingley equalled her excitement, "it's fantastic! This is so amazing!"

They and the rest of the Visitor friends youth team were riding in a shuttle craft. Greg came out of the flight section with a smile on his face, "how are you? Are you all thrilled with your ride..."

Beth blushed - the phrase ride had her thinking of other things, but it was Angela who stood from the leather bunk and stepped foward, "Ohhh yesss! This is way much better than that new ride at Disneyland!"

She stared at the handsome Visitor and blushed - he responded with a kind smile and took her hand and helped her sit down as they went through a little turbulance. Beth shot her a glare over to her that could turn anyone to stone - but Angela didn't care, she knew her friend was just jealous that she was getting all the attention.

The shuttle was heading towards the landing strip at the college grounds, Randy sat next to Beth and s his arm around her, "How's about you and me have a private party of our own when we get back", he coaxed.

Beth turned her nose up at him, "No offense...but I have set my sights on alot higher than you!"

Ben Greene, who had been quiet up until now, smirked. He just loved it when Randy was the one put in his place for a change.

But it didn't go unnoticed by Randy, "hey, what are you smirking at you queer !", he seethed through gritted teeth.

Ben shrugged and looked away as in the way he really didn't care, "just you..."

Randy hated it when Ben stood his ground, he lunged forward so his face was only inches away from his own, eyes boring straight into him, "...I've just been asking myself something - why would our alien friends want a filthy like you in their ranks, huh?"

Greg looked over from where he stood, he could see what was going on.

The shuttle was touching down on the grass outside the college. Angela turned from the window from where she sat, "we're back...ohhh Randy! Just lay off him!"

Deborah, the Visitor female, stepped out from the flight section and went and operated the door release and the shuttles exit ramp extended outward with a low hum.

Greg stood back and watched intently as his 'students' disembarked. Angela paused over the fresh-hold and looked at Greg, "See you later - hotshot", she teased.

The alien watched her go and then saw Ben move by, he stopped the human by placing a hand over his shoulder, Ben looked up.

"Don't let those who like to see you fall see that they are winning...we all have different qualities", he vibrated.

Ben broke off eye contact and nodded, then walked down the ramp glancing back briefly, but Greg was already back inside the shuttle.

VVV

At the locker room, Beth Cordingley turned to Angela as she slipped out of her baig youth scheme uniform, "You think Greg likes you?"

Angela stared at herself in the mirror over the sink, "yeah...what's not to like"

Beth chuckled as she quickly took her hair down and shook her head to untangle it, "I think he prefers blondes", she sung deliberatly referring to herself.

Angela picked up her kit bag, "like you? Do me a favour...now come on, we'll miss the bus..."

VVV

Ben Greene hurried across the college lawn to catch the yellow school bus. Randy Revell was stood at the doorway, his arm acting as a barrier.

"Bus is full ", he sneered with a nasty grin.

Ben tried to push past, but he was getting absolutely nowhere. Caitlin Ryan and Kerry Laden could see what was going on from the bus windows.

"Hey Randy, let him go! You are such a childish creep!", Kerry called out through the open flap.

Randy looked at her and tried to play that to his advantage, "Okay...he can come aboard...but on one condition...", he turned to face Ben, "...leave the youth scheme"

Ben narrowed his eyes at him as the bully went on, "...the scheme is not for people like you - do you understand me, boy?"

Ben exhaled and shook his head, he just didn't want to fight back anymore - but something in him wanted to -

"Okay...", he muttered.

Randy looking triamphant over his little victory, waved his arm aside and ushered the steps like some grand gesture.

Ben climbed aboard the bus and went and sat next to Caitlin, she turned to him, "You are better off quitting that scheme...especially if it is filled with jerks like him!"

Randy's laughter rocked the bus. Ben smirked to himself and looked at her defiantly, "Who says anything about quitting...I'm not going anywhere..."

Caitlin frowned at him and then looked back to Randy horsing around with his friends, she hoped her friend knew what he was doing.

VVV

Meanwhile Police officer Sean Steele had been partnered up with a young Visitor female named Phillipa.

She smiled at him as they sat in the squad car in traffic.

"This is going to interesting - I am looking foward to see how you enforce law and order in your land...", said the Visitor girl.

Sean relaxed his grip on the steering wheel, this traffic was going nowhere, he turned to her, "do you have somekind of police department on Sirius?", he was trying to stoke up the conversation.

"Security squad...I suppose it is rather similiar the way it is set out", replied Phillipa with a quick flash of a smile. He liked that smile. He had to admit, he had sure drawn the long straw. Poor Jimmy Winters had been paired off with some burley over-weight male Visitor, and had been vocally complaining about it.

Phillipa was sure easy on the eye, but they all were...mostly...there were the odd less pretty ones, but most were overly attractive.

"...but crime to kept to an absolute minimum on our planet Mr Steele...I'm sure my security superiors will be able to offer much improvement to how you run things here"

Sean didn't like the sound of that. The aliens had been living amongst them for just more than a month or so and thought they knew best.

"Unbelieveable", he murmured.

Phillipa turned, her hair tied back in a tight ponytail behind her cap, "what was that?"

Sean was glad she had missed that, somehow he suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable with her in the car - the way she bore through at him behind those dark shades.

"Nothing", he finally said and smiled, "look...we are moving! Thank the lord...now lets get some real police work done..."

VVV

Toni Morrell parked her VW beetle up onto the curb as Jenny Morgan came up the walk holding Carla.

"Hi...good day?", asked Jenny.

Toni took her daughter from her and strapped her in the child seat, "not really, Dr Lee is getting concerned about Phyllis...nobodys seen or heard from her for more than a week!"

Jenny pulled her a frown, "is she still missing? Maybe she has gone on vacation..."

Toni closed the back door to her car and pulled the hair out of her eyes, "what - without telling anybody? No, I've worked with her for 15 years, it's totally out of character of her"

Jenny's father Jamie pulled up in his blue mustang behind the beetle and honked his horn, "come on Jen! We've gotta be going to the mall before it closes!"

Jenny rolled her eyes and turned to Toni, "I'll see you tomorrow - dad's got his eyes on a Visitor girl he's seen around the mall...it is so embarrassing!"

Toni laughed with her as she watched Jenny jump in the two-seater behind her car, "see you later!"

And the mustang screeched off up the suburban street.

VVV

Over at the chemical plant in Baltimore, Ross Morrell was finishing his shift as two more cargo tanker shuttles, carrying the chemical compound rose up into the air and journeyed up to the massive Mothership that halo'd Washington DC.

Ross removed his yellow hard hat and turned to see Alex Fisher in conversation with the Visitor's lead-techncian, Adam.

He was about to call over a 'see you tomorrow', when he noticed the injured Visitor from the other day.

Ross beamed a smile as he went and approached him as he worked on the pressure dials, "Hi...how are you doing? I can see you are much better..."

The Visitor techncian nodded his head, but looked towards his leader talking to Alex. Adam had noticed the conversation and after cutting Alex off in mid flow, marched over to them, "is everything all right?", his eyes stared directly to the techncian.

Ross nodded and pointed his finger towards the other Visitor, "I was just saying how much better he was looking - he looks really well - you Visitors must be thick skinned - it's as if he was never near that explosion at all!"

Alex who was now at their side shook his head, "I said a similiar thing earlier - but Adam here tells me that their antibodies are faster working than our own - another difference between our race and theirs...", he chuckled.

Ross chuckled as well, "Well...we may look the same but I'm sure their are differences if you look closer enough"

Adam turned to him, after sending the techncian off on his way, "Don't let us keep you Mr Morrell..."

Ross detected alittle irriation in his tone and came to the conclusion that he had out stayed his welcome, "I'll see you guys tomorrow..."

And with that he went along his way.

VVV

At the police precinct, officer Sean Steele had finished his shift. The Visitor girl, Phillipa turned to him at the locker room entrance, "I have enjoyed working along side you today officer Steele, it was very enlightening..."

Sean tried to match her enthusiasm, "Well...that's a word for it...but, like wise, I'll see you tomorrow...", he then pushed the door inward and disappeared into the mens locker room.

After changing into his civvies, he came out of the locker room to catch sight of the Police Chief chatting to Helena Shaw at the front desk.

"Hey, Sean...", called the Chief looking up at him, "How was it today, working with the new Visitor in-take?"

Sean half smiled in response as he held his jacket over his shoulder, "Well...to quote one word...enlightening"

The chief looked please, but Sean was starting to catch up with his thoughts and what the Chief had said, "In-take? Are you saying there is going to be more of them?"

The Police Chief nodded, "Of course...this is the start of a new project with the Visitors - it's not just happening here in Washington you know, it's happening all across the country"

Sean moved his bomber jacket across his arm, "So...this is going to be a regular thing, from now on?"

"Yes...but it is a good thing on our part Sean - just think what we can learn from them..."

Sean just gave him a farewell nod and walked off, Helena sat at the front desk fiddling with her pen, "you know what Sean's like sir...he doesn't like change"

The chief looked at her sharply, "Well, he's just going to have to get used to it, because this is the new order of things..."

VVV

Sean lit up a cigarette underneath the street lamp and looked up to the massive expanse of the Visitors mothership, the lights aluminating the night sky like some super city. He then looked around and caught sight of Phillipa and her friends hurry over to their waiting shuttle to take them back up to the ship.

Jimmy Winters was then stood at his pals side, "Just look at them - they've been here for just one day and they think they know best", he hissed.

Sean looked at him, the street light casting their shadows up against the wall, "the chief says they're here to stay"

"I know...and I give it a week, especially the one they've landed me with...he was too pushy, wanting to know absolutely everything about our precedures...I soon told him what for, he sure didn't like it...but do I give a horses ? Like I do!"

He patted his friend on the back, as he made to leave, "We'll be back to normal in a week...trust me"

And with a parting wave, Jimmy disappeared into the night. Sean took a puff of his cigarette. He shuddered - somehow, to him, it felt like the Visitors were gradually taking control...that human control was starting to subtley slip...

...or maybe he was just being too damned paranoid.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX