Chapter 12

V: The Washington Crisis

Part 3: Peace and Technology

 

President Neil Armstrong sat at the head of the conference room table with his closest aids with him. The Visitors Supreme Commander John was present and sat at the opposite end of the table with a few of his closest members from the flagship.

The meeting had been called urgently that morning at the White House, the President had been put under alot of pressure to do so.

"I just feel that things are getting a little out of hand, that's all - you and your people have fantastic technological know how that could change our lives forever - but I feel that we all need to slow down a little bit here - not everybody likes change so quickly..."

The Vice- President couldn't see the problem as he looked at his superior, "but sir, surely the human-race can only benefit from these changes..."

Morgan Mason and Edward Kennedy agreed in unison.

Neil leaned forward, "indeed...but we are not yet ready - we need to step on the brake and slow down - anyway, I think that the medical break throughs should come first..."

John looked up, his trademark smile evident and all to see, and a gesture of the hand to reason a calming influence, "Of course - and as I have promised - the science and medical seminars are already being organised...it just takes time"

Neil closed his file, "then we better go from there - remember- you and your people are guests on our world - and we must be careful if that line is not crossed - no disrespects to Kristine Walsh, I am truely honoured that you chose an American woman as your offical spokesperson - but you Supreme Commander are being seen on television promoting nice speeches a little too often that I feel comfortable with..."

Edward cleared his throat leaning foward to speak, "steady on Mr President - these people have given us so much already...", he praised and made sure he emphasied that part, so the Visitor leader didn't feel too uncomfortable with the Presidents feelings.

Others in the Presidential office nodded in agreement.

John made eye contact with Neil and held up his arm, "No, No...the President is correct - maybe we have, as a people, over-stepped the mark, but it is not deliberate I can assure you - I however have personally taken note, and will remedy our agendas"

Neil hinted a grateful smile, "I'm not critizing you or your people, and the very last thing I want to do is make you or your people feel unwelcome"

John shook his head and smiled warmly, "Not at all...don't worry Mr President, It will all be settled out soon enough..."

VVV

Officer Sean Steele walked into the police precinct with a cuffed prisoner. Phillipa, his new Visitor 'partner' was with him.

Helena Shaw looked up from the front desk, "Who are you booking in?"

"Shop theft...exciting stuff huh?", replied Sean, he turned his head to see that Phillipa was looking quite bored, Sean snuck in a crafty wink at Helena, "...with a bit of luck on my side, she'll lose interest and disappear"

"But I thought you said you liked working along side the Visitors", cried Helena a little surprized.

Sean shrugged as they watched Phillipa book in the prisoner, "I did...but the novelty is well and truely starting to wear off, believe me"

VVV

Rosemary Kennedy pulled the lace curtain back to see the black limousine pull up on the gravel drive way out front - it was her husband.

Immediately coming out to meet him, she took his arm, "Edward! I thought you would of made it back for lunch"

"Yes - alone I hope...", Edward said looking about for a squad vehicle.

Rosemary shook her head as they entered the great hall of their mansion, "Gerald has other business to attend to...so it is just you and I, honey"

Edward removed his coat and his wife took it , "I had a meeting with the President...he's starting to bring up some negative opinions about our Visitor friends..."

Rosemary went and fixed her husband a drink, "Oh? I do hope that the Supreme Commander wasn't offended?"

Edward took the glass from her, "fortunately he was very nice about it - but I was quite surprized - these people are doing so much for us - we cannot seem to be ungrateful, can we"

"Of course not dear - but I'm sure he will thaw out - he is the President - he had to be seen as having our interests at heart, hasn't he?"

Edward nodded, his wife was right, "Yeah...I guess that's so..."

VVV

The alien leader John came down the ramp of his personal shuttle with Kristine Walsh along side him. They were in the huge hangar of the Washington flagship - Kristine clutched her purse and turned to him, "I am going to go freshen up, if that is alright?"

John took both of her hands in his and smiled warmly down at her, "Of course - and take as long as you need to - you deverse a much needed break, we work you very hard...I sincerely hope that you don't think we are taking liberties..."

Kristine shook her head, "Of course not - I'll see you later John...", and she hurried off across the hangar with her personal trooper in toe.

Commander Gerald watched her go, and then stepped forward along with some of his troops, "Welcome back aboard Supreme Commander...", he said as he fell into step with him as they moved, "...I recieved your latest report - you stipulate that the President is not as supportive as he was...?"

John nodded as they strolled across the busy hangar, their group of troops following closely behind, "he is the top individual on this planet...and has alot of influence among the humans"

Gerald paused and faced him directly questioningly, "you mean the time has come for conversion?"

The Supreme Commander shook his head, his features were very serious, "not yet...but if he prooves to be a threat to our mission, then we will have to start seriously considering it..."

Gerald led their way into the maze of corridors of the flagship, "the president cannot simply disappear, it would be noticed - we would need to consult with Diana about the best course of action regarding him or awkward questions from the likes of Kristine Walsh will be asked..."

John paused at his private quarters and turned, "I will leave it in your capable hands Gerald - whatever you decide you will have my full support"

Gerald was pleased, eyes bright, "thank you Supreme Commander - I'm always of your service, of course..."

VVV

At the News studios, Ralph Harrison was surprized to learn that Susan Feldman had resigned from the network. Turning in his chair at his desk, he looked up to Sub Commander Michele, "but Susan loved her job...", he insisted, "...it's not like her to just call and quit on a whim!"

Michele came forward, her hand leaned on her laser hoister, "she was envious of you Ralph...it was all too much for her...in the end, you have to admit, she began to be less supportive of you and your role..."

Ralph agreed with a shake of his head, "Yes...she was jealous of what I have achieved in recent weeks but..."

Michele had circled him and he stopped talking when she placed a hand firmly on his shoulder, "look...her kind of portrayal of our visit to your planet is not positive...only yesterday she gave out a report that made us out to beleeches who are spounging off on your good nature..."

Ralph sprang to the defensive, "No! That's not true...I'm sure you are mistaken!"

Michele leaned in to him, her face seemed to show she was in no mood for being questioned, "I hope YOU don't think that we are exploiting your peoples assistance Ralph..."

Ralph laughed, " Of course not! You are given us so much in return"

"Exactly...and the Supreme Commander will make sure of it, now...",she turned him around to face the newsdesk, "...it is nearly time for your broadcast...I'll being seeing you soon Ralph..."

Ralph turned a little nervously and watched Michele walk stride off with her shock troopers close behind.

Where had all these troopers come from? There weren't nearly as many a few weeks back. And what about the Studios, the Visitors gave the impression they call the shots now.

The director was counting down to live on air. Ralph quickly swallowed down some water and checked his mic and then looked down to the vacant seat beside him...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX