Chapter 20

V: The Washington Crisis

"The Visitors are not our friends, they have come to our planet and kill us...they are not who they appear to be..."

Juliet Ryan screwed her face up in sheer horror of what happened next on the TV screen.

She and her daughter Caitlin had been watching coverage of a special event that was happening at the medical center in Los Angeles.

John, the Visitors Sepreme Commander had just announced to the watching world of a gift he was giving the human race...the cure for cancer, when it suddenly turned into the scene of an action movie.

The Supreme Commander was held hostage, and the woman speaking had just ripped the alien's skin off from his face to reveal...

Juliet gasped and looked away, Caitlin looked to her mother and took hold of her hand whilst looking back to the TV screen in awe.

"this is NOT science fiction", the woman in white cried.

...

Sentor Edward Kennedy sat at home with his wife Rosemary in their lounge in George town.

"This is a hoax! It has to be!", snapped Rosemary, not able to keep her eyes from the television screen.

Angela rushed down the grand stair case, "daddy...I...", she was looking to the screen, "What the..."

Edward came forward and held his daughter reasuringly, "don't be alarmed...it's those damned terrorists...they are responsible for this shocking outrage!"

Rosemary sat poised as reporter and Visitor spokeswoman Kristine Walsh suddenly came on camera, a mic was in her hand, "Ladies and gentleman...what you have just witnessed was a terrorist attack on the medical center..."

Rosemary chuckled and put her hands together, "see...we are right...it's just a terrorist attack!"

Angela sighed in total relief. Before Kristine could speak again, Edward switched the TV off, "Come on...it's a nice warm night...and Gerald will be hear shortly..."

VVV

In the resistance HQ at the bank vault, the rebels witnessed Kristine Walsh get shot in the chest when she turned against her Visitor friends after stating, "This is real they are really reptillian...", and, "...we must fight back these monsters..."

Toni Morrell, fresh back from the refuge in the smokey mountains turned from the TV screen, "See...they are not like us...the whole damned thing has been a lie from the start!"

Sean Steele nodded, rifle slung over his shoulder, where he stood leaning on the doorframe, "Which is WHY we must fight back! Now we know that these SOBs don't look like us, it should be easier for anybody to blow their ing heads off!"

Everybody in the darkened bank vault cheered...louder...and more than ever that, at last...there was some hope...

VVV

From deep space she had come - Squadron leader Pamela; A whole fleet of Motherships with her that congregated behind the Moon's dark side awaiting her signal.

Her Mothership hovered high above the flagship over Washington D.C, she and John was in conference in the board room, their scan pads sending in reports.

"It's a real pleasure to have you here on Earth", John announced warmly. Pamela nodded - she paced about the board room looking all military minded, reeling off her plans, "I thought I'd drop by before heading to Los Angeles, where our new project will commence - firstly, I have brought in new special troopers with an even stronger armour that no weapon can penetrate it. Secondly, I have brought along a fixed batch of type two laser cannons that will vapourise anything and anyone at the push of a button...and thirdly, I have shipped in skilled first-class techncians that will speed up the water harvast ten fold...for example..."

She turned and faced him, her dark eyes focusing on his, "...southern California will be drained completely of fresh water within a few short weeks...", her black gloved hand went into a fist clench.

John turned in his chair at the conference table, "excellent...at last this mission is back on track"

Pamela gave him a knowing glare, "yes...I heard about that unfortunate incident of yours three weeks back at the medical center...a setback yes...but not a setback too far..."

VVV

The late June air hung hot and heavy over Washington. Commander Frank was organising things at the Visitor security headquarters that was once the former district armoury.

Gerald stepped out of his silver Visitor bannered car and walked up the steps past the marble colomns and into the glass foyer. He saw troopers fetching and carrying - and placing lasers and blaster rifles into metal carrier-containers.

Kyle was nearby with a check-off scan-pad, Gerald went striding over to him, hands clutching his belt, "What's going on?", he demanded, he hadn't been consulted about any move.

Kyle turned, "After the raid here, Frank had ordered all our fire-arms to be moved to a more secure location...", he answered with a pilot smile.

Gerald was fuming, he was fed up with Frank undermining his commands - a nice little plot against him wouldm't go amiss - there must be somekind of dirt on the so called victor of the rebellion -

- he just had to find it...

VVV

The White Visitor bannered limousine cadillac drove up capitol hill towards the senate building. In the back reporter Ralph Harrison turned to the tinted window and viewed his eyes onto the boarded up buildings, and folks drifting about not sure what to do with themselves anymore.

He was off to interview somebody - god knows who - he had stopped caring since Kristine Walsh's untimely death at the hands of the so-called terrorists, or resistance against the Visitors he had heard rumoured so many accasions since then.

Since Kris's demise, the aliens had been overly nice to him - trying to cover up the much bad publicity that hampered the Visitors now. Their once kind and friendly facade was crumbling back and it was getting harder to paper the cracks. The rot was setting in.

Ralph wasn't stupid. He was fully becoming aware that the aliens were more hostile than they were led to believe...as Gerald had once hinted to him - you are either with us...

The newsman popped a pill, he needed something to get him through the days now. It was either that or go completely insane.

VVV

It had been a week after the rebels had joined the World liberation front - an organisation that had been helped by the fifth colomn to bring all the resistance groups around the world as one.

Sean Steele had been intercepted on route to the bank vault in Maryland. He had been hauled into the back of a van, where Commander Frank was waiting for him.

At first, Sean thought the worst and worried that he had been captured and was going to be forced into revealing the resistances plans and be made to betray them.

Frank stepped forward and removed his cap smiling at Sean, "You don't have to be afraid of me - I and my friends are apart of the fifth colomn - we are helping the WLF to defeat us"

Sean was somewhat overwhelmed - and Frank told him that he had engineered the move of Visitor weapons to a safe location for use for members of the freedom network.

Frank told Sean he would help the WLF in anyway possible, but he had to keep a very low profile.

"...the commander aboard the flagship is watching me very closely, it is getting much harder to give him or his fellow aids the slip, and put them off the scent"

Sean's face was lit up by the vans orange internal ceiling lights, "Is Sam Walker still alive? Has he said anything?"

Frank shook his head, "Walker is still alive - as far as I know - and he knows nothing about the WLF's plans...I cannot promise you anything - but I will do all I can for him, but in the grand scheme of things - he isn't a priorty"

Sean understood - and although it felt wrong, he extended his arm and shook hands with the alien, wondering what Frank really looked like beneath that human body suit he wore...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX