Cam-

Regardless of Height

Title: Cam-

Rating: PG-13

Word count: 1954

Summary: This. Enough said. (Or alternatively: Minho’s spending too much time with his camera and Jonghyun’s getting more than a little pissy about it).

 

 

 

Their trip hasn’t even really begun. Hell, they’ve barely stepped out of the gate before Minho is swinging his backpack to his front and fishing out that godforsaken camera of his. He flips it open, films a quick test take to make sure it’s still working (which is ridiculous, because he’d done that a bazillion times already) all the while looking like a kid at Christmas morning. Then Minho flips the device around so he has his obnoxious face in full view and promptly presses the record button.

 

Jonghyun rolls his eyes as Minho starts goofing around on his own, way too overjoyed after such a long flight. Never in a million years will he understand Minho’s passion for self-display on camera, nor will he ever take part in it. The only reason he lets Minho do it is because he might be kind of, sort of cute when he does (though Jonghyun will probably take that fact to the grave).

 

--

 

Jonghyun’s still laughing as he pushes himself out of the pool (Taemin and Jinki threw him in by his arms and legs to have a four-minute water fight, which unsurprisingly ended in Jinki spurting out heavily chlorinated water, Taemin and himself laughing unrestrainedly at how the tables turned).

 

His smile, however, falls as soon as he notices Minho still sitting in his lounger with that oh-so-fascinating camera in hand and a wrinkle in between very concentrated eyebrows.

 

Jonghyun scoffs as he gets up. “You going to put that away any time today or should I just come back tomorrow?”

 

“Hold on, I just got to set this right,” is what Jonghyun gets in return. Okay, so he’ll have to try a different approach.

 

“You know, the water’s really refreshing. You should take a dip,” he chirps cheerfully.

 

“Sure,” Minho mumbles apathetically, and Jonghyun’s getting more than a little pissed now. He runs his hand through his still-dripping hair once before tossing it in Minho’s direction, making little droplets of water splay all over the place.

 

At least this pulls a reaction from Minho. “Hey, stop that! Do you know how much this is worth?” he bellows, shooting a venomous glare at Jonghyun and then returning to his beloved camera (the expression on his face is sickeningly identical to the one Gollum wears whenever he stares at that ring in Lord of the Rings. It’s hella creepy).

 

Jonghyun decides Minho isn’t all that cute anymore.

 

--

 

It’s been five days now. Five ing days of Minho constantly filming himself in the town nearby, in the hotel restaurant, in their room, doing this or that, always acting so ing sated like he just received a world class on camera. And when he finally gets off-cam, he’s always fiddling with his laptop and turns into a snappy whenever anyone tries to approach him.

 

It’s annoying the out of Jonghyun.

 

They’re currently out seeing some pretty waterfalls (well, pretty high, that’s for sure), and all Minho’s doing is running around with that camera of his. Jonghyun has taken to hanging out with Jinki because at least he’s polite enough to pay some attention to Jonghyun.

 

Kibum’s yelling has him turning to his left and there he notices Minho  leaning over the railing and bending his camera in weird angles, ridiculously big eyes transfixed on the small display. Kibum’s throwing a fit at him because with the way Minho carelessly lets the safety strap dangle from the camera instead of around his neck, there’s a very high probability that he won’t be able to do much cam- for the rest of the vacation.

 

Jonghyun wouldn’t mind that too much (or not at all).

 

--

 

When the seventh day comes to, Jonghyun’s had just about enough.

 

He marches up to where Minho’s lazing on their shared queen-sized bed, crawls on top of him and vehemently snatches that damn camera out of his hands.

 

Minho’s yelling at him while trying to snatch it back (Jonghyun has never resented those longs arms this much before (which he knows is not true)) but Jonghyun fixes him with a sharp glare before giving him quite a piece of his mind.

 

“Just shut up! You’ve been all over this thing the whole week and I’m sick and tired of you being such a ing whenever I just try to establish contact. I mean, do you even know what’s been going on around you other than what you have on cam? Do you remember what you had at the restaurant last night? Or have you even taken a swim at all? It’s been seven days, Minho, we’ve barely spend seven minutes-“

 

“Yah, you shut up. You don’t even know what I’ve been doing,” Minho huffs, brows drawn together in an indignant frown.

 

Jonghyun’s jaw drops. “Minho, I just told you-,“ but he’s cut off again.

 

“Well, I actually have a reason for that, idiot.” There’s an annoyed lilt in Minho’s voice.

 

“What?” Jonghyun practically barks, incredulous.

 

Minho seems to recoil. “Never mind that.”

 

This has Jonghyun snorting. “Minho, there’s no way I’m buying a half assed excuse like that and you know it.”

 

Minho takes a moment to contemplate, then rolls his eyes (too exaggeratedly, in Jonghyun’s opinion) and picks up his laptop from the bedside table, muttering, “fine. But remember, you asked for it”.

 

With narrowed, skeptic eyes, Jonghyun moves from his straddled position to sit next to him.

 

Minho opens his laptop to reveal some kind of video. “It’s a work in progress,” he says, a bit sheepish. Jonghyun’s now-curious gaze is fixed on the screen as he presses play.

 

First is an introductory scene with an excited Minho (Jonghyun recognizes the airport in the background) who says something about this being a secret because Jonghyun doesn’t know. Then comes various little films of Jonghyun and the boys frolicking in the streets, in the pool, at some restaurants, playing pranks on each other (not surprisingly is Taemin always the mastermind behind all of them), doing whatever, and all accompanied with little sweet, spur-of-the-moment commentaries on Minho’s part.

 

Suddenly, there’s a close-up of Jinki who starts a little (and obviously rehearsed) speech for Jonghyun. Jinki’s voice changes to voice-over as a scene of him and Jonghyun at the waterfalls plays. As the speech approaches the end, Jinki appears again and he closes it off with a wave and his trademark Jinki-smile. A new scene of Jonghyun, Taemin and Kibum plays and then Taemin is voicing a message to Jonghyun like the one Jinki did. After that it freezes on Taemin’s mischievous, yet good-natured smile.

 

Jonghyun’s utterly and completely speechless. He’s been going through an emotional wave ranging from confusion to disbelief to adoration and now guilt.

 

“It was actually supposed to be your birthday-project,” Minho supplies. Jonghyun can’t bring himself to look at him. He can all-but feel his conscience shoving guilt down on him and he slumps with the added weight. He curses his impulsive nature and his unrestrained mouth.

 

“I know you don’t like being on cam, so I took the liberty to film from afar,” Minho adds after a moment of silence.

 

Jonghyun sinks further down as he mumbles, “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay,” Minho reassures, shifting to face him better.

 

“No, no it’s not. It was supposed to be for my birthday and now I ruined it.” Jonghyun feels so incredibly disappointed in himself because that was so ing stupid of him.

 

“Hey,” Minho picks up one of his hands in his own, using the other to tilt his head up. “It’s no use crying about it now.”

 

Jonghyun scrunches his nose. “Am not crying.”

 

“Could’ve fooled me,” Minho laughs under his breath before placing a quick peck on Jonghyun’s lips.

 

"Yah, don't get smart with me now.” Jonghyun’s cheeks push his eyes into crescents as he smiles.

 

“At least I’m not the one who ruined his surprise,” Minho counters.

 

Jonghyun huffs. “I said I was sorry, all right?”

 

“Sure, pup.” Minho he reaches up to ruffle his hair.

 

“Don’t call me pup!”

 

--

 

The rest of their trip runs more smoothly after that. The two get to spend a lot more time together than Jonghyun initially thought and he might even think that this is one of the best holidays in his life (might).

 

Once Jonghyun’s birthday rolls around, he’s not surprised to find a flash drive on their counter with an accompanying note that reads Finished in time ♥. Jonghyun plugs it in his laptop and plays the video.

 

He recognized the first half with Jinki’s and Taemin’s speeches (albeit with minor modifications and god, is that Honesty playing?) and smiles to himself. Then Kibum’s filling the screen, giving a typical Almighty-Key-slash-Key-Umma talk (that is more pretentious than anything) though it turns quite fond as it progresses. There are a lot of small takes after that, all of them doing silly things and generally having a good times and Jonghyun feels wistful all of a sudden.

 

When the video is nearing its end, Minho appears on screen, looking quite nervous. He inhales, exhales and then opens his mouth to speak.

 

It’s not particularly long, nor particularly sophisticated. Minho talks about how Jonghyun kind of ruined his original plans when he discovered the video, about how he still wants to tell Jonghyun so much. About how he was feeling so giddy when recording, about how he almost dropped his camera once when he had to pretend he wasn’t filming Jonghyun and turned too quickly. About how he was sorry for being distant at first, about how he was actually glad that Jonghyun figured out, so they got to spend more time together. As he talks, fitting videos play on screen, from scowling gazes at the waterfalls to handholding in the streets.

 

“Wow, I’m rambling now, aren’t I? I think you’re starting to rub off on me.” Minho chuckles and runs a hand through his dark brown hair.

 

“Either way, my point is still the same.”

 

Jonghyun perks up as a new scene appears, one that has both him and Minho in it, which means someone else must’ve recorded this without him knowing. They’re standing on a hill, facing each other, fingers intertwined, sun low in the sky behind them. It’s from the last day and Jonghyun remembers all of it vividly.

 

“Jonghyun-ah, you’re such a beautiful person, inside out.”

 

Their gazes are locked on each other, both filled with so much affection and love it’s almost pitiable (which is only amplified by their ridiculous height difference).

 

“You make me the happiest man on earth and I want to spend every day for the rest of my life with you.”

 

Minho frees his hands to wrap his arms around Jonghyun while the latter places his own around Minho’s neck, one hand in his hair. Slowly, Minho starts leaning down and Jonghyun leans up the best he can (and the Jonghyun watching cringes at how obvious it is that he’s standing on his toes in the video).

 

“I love you, Jonghyun-ah. So, so much.”

 

Their lips connect in the sweetest, sincerest kiss and a shiver goes down Jonghyun’s spine as he can still remember the feel of Minho’s lips against his.

 

“Happy birthday, baby.”

 

This time around, Jonghyun is actually in tears. He’s glad Minho isn’t around to call him out on it because he would never let Jonghyun hear the end of it if he saw.

 

(Later, when Minho gets back, he looks like he s himself from terror when Jonghyun literally pounces on him as soon as he steps inside. He doesn’t complain though, because Jonghyun drags him to their bedroom with so much tenderness and love, never letting their lips part even once.)

 

 

 

A/N: Something that actually fits the season, hurray!

For the ones to lazy to click the link, this is it:

Camwhoring - Minho photo Camwhoring - Minho_zpsxhpiejsh.gif

(You're such a er for the camera, Minho, don't even deny it.)

 

was actually supposed to write and post this three days ago, but then stuff came up and I was too tired to do it. And omg do not ask me how this grew into such a monster, I have no clue. I just sat down with Cam- Minho in mind and went on with it from there and it was supposed to be funny but it turned out all mushy and idek anymore.

I never intended for this to get so freaking sentimental and I'm actually not very happy with it, but it's all you get as of now. I can't, I'm leaving, bye.

photo Im out - Onew_zpsuzhkhizc.gif

 

 

 

Latest edit: June 22nd, 2016