Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time

Regardless of Height

Title: Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time

Rating: PG-13

Word count: 1576

Summary: Because maybe they’re actually both saps.

 

 

 

Jonghyun has never been very fond of Christmas. Not in the sense that he doesn’t like it; the end of the year practically has him bouncing in excitement at the thought of family gatherings and Christmas pastries (God bless ‘em) and the general jolly spirit of everyone around him (well, except Kibum – but Kibum is always some level of cranky so he doesn’t count). He likes strolling around the busy streets, watching people and guessing whom they’ve bought this or that for, and have his nose and cheeks turn red from the cold so he has an actual excuse for drink hot chocolate.

 

The only thing is Christmas seems too prompted and insincere. Giving presents and other surprises are meant as a symbol of affection, but whenever he sees those middle-aged ladies rushing up and down the street with a list of whom they need, not want, to buy presents for, Jonghyun can’t help but feel like that is the most impersonal and superficial behavior he’s ever borne witness to. Most people even seem to have this approach to Christmas foods and decoration as well – that they’re simply necessities of tradition, not testaments of joy. It repels him.

 

For these reasons, Jonghyun is so, so grateful that Minho respectfully keeps his Christmas spirits on a down low. He knows Minho’s family holds Christmas tradition to solemn standards and naturally, they expect Minho to maintain and adhere to the traditions of the season. And Minho does, albeit very limited. The both of them show up at whatever Christmas party Minho’s family throws, they have made sure to always present at least three varieties of seasonal cookies and snacks (all of which are either bought or acquired from Minho’s mother), and they even have a selection of decorations displayed on the coffee table and in two or three of the windowsills. Heck, they even sat down and composed a playlist of Christmas songs that they play aloud twice or thrice a week while they snuggle close on the couch. Jonghyun thinks they deserve a reward for their accomplishments.

 

But something’s still missing, Jonghyun realizes as he idly makes his way down the grocery store’s aisle of seasonal wrapping and Christmas-related items. Though it’s something that inevitably confirms his condemning prejudice, he knows it will pull nothing but the fondest smile from Minho once he sees it, being sap that he is. Jonghyun’s stomach curls and twists in a warm knot at the thought, and before he knows, the item is already in his basket and he’s rushing to the checkout with the shortest queue.

 

Jonghyun leaves the grocery store with two full bags and brightly burning cheeks, unfathomably embarrassed (which is ridiculous because everyone is buying Christmas items this month). The notion is quickly replaced as the image of Minho’s stupid smile and humongous eyes fill his mind and he (unsuccessfully) wills his stomach to stop churning, drawing his beanie down as a silent complaint sends a puff over the edge of his scarf.

 

The road to their apartment is short and familiar, distracting Jonghyun sufficiently until he finds himself putting down one bag of groceries to unlock the door of their flat. He shivers once the prickling heat engulfs him, though not a moment’s hesitation passes before he’s shedding the beanie and scarf because he knows he’ll become a walking turkey if he keeps on the winter wear.

 

While ping his heavy jacket, his eyes catch a glimpse of the special item in the top of one of the bags, and he chews his bottom lip absentmindedly as a plan forms in his mind. “Minho, some help with the groceries?” he calls out, quickly ducking to retrieve and hide the item behind his back when he gets a loud, “be right out,” in response, and he takes a deep breath to distract himself from the subtle flutter that stirs the bottom of his tummy again.

 

When Minho appears in their small hallway, Jonghyun can barely contain the urge to roll his eyes. He’s wearing a bright red jumper over denim skinny jeans and though it isn’t exactly Christmassy, Jonghyun knows it isn’t unintentional (old habits die hard, huh).

 

Minho stalks to him blissfully ignorant at first, but as he gets closer, Jonghyun can tell he’s becoming increasingly suspicious of Jonghyun’s wide eyes and (what he knows is) very poorly executed innocent smile. Narrowing his eyes, Minho stops a safe distance away from him. “Something’s up,” he states, and it’s not even questioning in the slightest.

 

Jonghyun’s lips quirk at the corners. “Kind of, yeah,” he says, and he draws one arm up to beckon Minho closer with his finger.

 

Reluctantly, Minho steals closer. “I don’t think I trust you.”

 

“Do you ever,” Jonghyun mutters loud enough for Minho to hear and this time, he doesn’t hold back on rolling his eyes. Minho offers one of his pretty smiles in return, making butterflies flare in Jonghyun’s abdomen. He has to take a breath to calm his uneasy stomach before speaking up again, and he makes sure to keep Minho’s gaze firmly when setting his plan into action. “Close your eyes.”

 

Minho raises a brow to his raven fringe. “After that behavior? No thanks,” he says with a mischievous look.

 

“Just close them. I swear on my mother’s life I won’t harm you or whatever,” Jonghyun promises with a sigh.

 

“On your mother’s life?” Minho whistles mockingly, clicking his tongue before continuing, “I guess I’ll have to comply then, huh?” He closes his eyes dutifully, rolling his shoulders.

 

“Finally,” Jonghyun can’t help but scoff, a grin stretching his lips. “Now give me your hand.”

 

“Are you sure this is safe?” Minho asks mock-warily, though raising his arm anyway.

 

“Yeah, sure, cutting your hand off with a chainsaw is totally safe – sanitary, too,” Jonghyun derides as he turns Minho’s hand to fit around his special item, biting his lips to contain a chuckle when Minho’s expression morphs from irked to one of confusion and intrigue as his fingers curl around the thin top.

 

“What is this?” he asks, rolling the item in his fingers.

 

“Keep still or you’ll ruin it,” Jonghyun scolds whiningly. “Okay, so, raise your arm and don’t jostle- no, higher, idiot. Above your head.” Minho does, raising the item high above them and Jonghyun reckons it’d look really silly to anyone else, but he can’t bring himself to care.

 

“Seriously though, what is it?” Minho asks again, his tone a mix of amusement, intrigue, and a bit agitation.

 

Jonghyun steps forward so that their chest are almost touching. “I don’t know,” he says, the butterflies fluttering against his abdomen, gaze settled on the uniqueness of Minho’s complexion. “Guess you’ll have to see for yourself,” he singsongs.

 

Minho snorts a soft laugh before finally gazing up, eyes widening comically as a gasp leaves his lips. For several moments he just stares at the small bundle of green twigs that dangle from his hold, dark oval leaves contrasting beautifully with the scattered white berries and the deep red of the bow. His lips are still parted when he finally shifts to eye Jonghyun, (and the blonde wants to capture the moment in a photo, but he guesses he’ll save Minho the embarrassment, for once).

 

“I thought you didn’t like this stuff,” Minho breathes, almost in wonder.

 

Jonghyun shrugs one shoulder. “Well, I don’t really,” he confirms with a quirk of lips. He feels his cheeks warm and the butterflies bursting out of his stomach as Minho’s eyes roam his features, taking in everything with a tenderness and adoration Jonghyun knows not to take for granted. He swallows, gaze flicking down to Minho’s pink lips. “You know what you’re supposed to do under the mistletoe, right?”

 

Minho chuckles lightly. “Living twenty years in the Choi household makes it hard not to,” he muses, and Jonghyun can’t help but smile at his boyfriend’s penchant for joking every chance he gets. He leans his head forward and up at the same time Minho tilts his head down and curls his other hand around Jonghyun’s jaw, their lips meeting less than halfway up. It makes Jonghyun go all warm and mushy inside and he clutches on to Minho’s strong bicep when the latter tilts his head and presses more insistently against him, tongue seeking entrance that is easily granted. Their mouths mold and fit each other so naturally, so smoothly, so perfectly and Jonghyun doesn’t want to ever stop.

 

He knows they have to pull back for air at some point, and only with a few last, reluctant pecks do they manage to separate, breathing hard against each other’s mouths, foreheads touching. It’s then that Jonghyun notices, and he doesn’t hesitate to shoot a quick comment at Minho between breaths. “You dropped your arm.”

 

Minho’s eyes are unfocused at first, but he quickly regains his composure, a scoff leaving his lips. “You’re just whining.”

 

“But how am I supposed to make you kiss me now?” Jonghyun pouts, rounding his eyes pitifully at his boyfriend as he brings a hand up to massage Minho’s hip.

 

Minho chuckles against his lips, Jonghyun’s entire frame shivering at the action. “What kind of boyfriend would I be if I needed the silly excuse of a mistletoe to kiss you?” he whispers, not letting Jonghyun answer before his lips cover the blonde’s again, more fervent than before, and Jonghyun decides that Christmas conventions aren’t so bad, after all.

 

 

 

A/N: I’m back? Wth is this? I freaking updated?

photo Still in shock - Key_zpsbxhy6atv.gif

Idek anymore.

This should call for celebration but honestly, the only thing I deserve is a ing slap or something, I’m such a poor author ㅠㅠ

The only reason I’m uploading now is bc I couldn’t bear not writing something Christmas-related during the season and bc I’m not allowed to use my computer for the next three days, I had to do it now. BUT. I just got on my Christmas break so after those days, I’m gonna be dedicating most of my time to writing, so, like, just expect a hella updates from me.

Also, I’m sorry to all of those I promised to reply to but haven’t. I’m gonna reply asap, but I’m not sure I can tonight bc brain is tired and weird and *sigh* why world?

And firesuga, I HAVEN’T forgotten your request, alright. I haven’t. it’s just been really bad timing and I didn’t know how to fulfill it, BUT. I’ve got something now, and I promis you I’ll get it done before new year’s.

photo Got it - Minho_zpsitqkratg.gif

 

Anyway, enough of my dramatics. Hi, hello and welcome to- OMFG I GOT 50 SUBSCRIBERS?!

What is this even, I don’t, what

photo Me - Taemin_zpsq6yfbhzm.gif

Guys, I think you subscribed to the wrong story.

You didn’t?

Omg, wth, I don’t even deserve any of this, I, thank you, just, thank you so much, I can’t describe how grateful I am to have reached this even though I at updating

photo Heartwarmed - Key_zpsagopypdd.gif

Get over ‘ere

photo Group hug - SHINee_zpsnfz5fmsl.gif

Ilysm guys, you don’t understandㅠㅠ

 

Also, on the story.

Jjong-baby at Christmas:

photo At Christmas - Jonghyun_zpsxuqlqohr.gif

I’m so sorry, I couldn’t help it XD

And who guessed it was a mistletoe? I was going to title this ‘Underneath the Mistletoe’ but then I remembered the boys’ performance and, well, yeah, couldn’t really help it, now, could I?

 

Yeah, so, this is getting long and rambly and I’m tired so screw it, I’m out guys.

Again, thank you all, and I hope you will stay tuned.

Bye <3

photo Wave - Onew_zpsoiqxnhpg.gif

(omfg if Lee Jinki isn’t the most beautifully perfect man on this earth, Idk who is.)