Doomed

Princesses of Tennis

Due to the US Open junior tournament Tiffany and I were competing in, we would be missing the final exams which our school scheduled for September. We were hoping earnestly that we would be able to miss the exams completely, but in a turn for the worse, the school rescheduled the exams such that Tiffany and I would take it two weeks from now. It never rains but it pours, and to compound matters the training academy decided to ramp up preparations for the junior tournament, increasing the amount of training sessions to two times each day for every day of the week.

"We're gonna be so busy...it's not even possible to balance academics and training..." Tiffany muttered gloomily.

I was more of a glass half-empty type of person, but I attempted to lift Tiffany's spirits. "It won't be that bad, just these two weeks, we can get it over and done with more quickly...I guess..."

"You don't sound convinced yourself..." Tiffany glances at me and starts giggling.

"What?" I asked, rather confused. Was there something on my face?

"Pessimism is written all over your face and you're trying to encourage me?"

I grinned sheepishly, "At least I tried..."

"You really need to help me with studying though,  I'm well and truly screwed, especially for Math..."

"It's not like I'm much better off..." My mind flashed back to the last Math test we had taken. I had scored an abysmal 39 out of 100, with Tiffany somehow contriving to score worse than I did, with a score of 28.

 

The next two weeks were hellish, school from morning till afternoon, training from afternoon to late night, and studying from then on to the wee hours of the morning. It was unbelievably exhausting, having to study hard after the gruelling training sessions. It didn't help matters that Tiffany seemed as clueless as ever with regard to the content and continously pelted me with countless questions. I wasn't exactly the brightest kid in school either and had never enjoyed studying. At the very least, Tiffany and I had each other through this excruciating period of time. Countless times either of us felt like giving up, countless times we had the other's shoulder to lean on, a dependable presence we could count on. Her company made it easier to struggle through the two weeks.

Truth be told, I had always been physically attracted to Tiffany. Really, who wouldn't be? Her radiating beauty, her charming eyesmile, her flawless body... they were to die for, enough to make anyone fall head over heels for her. You could say that ever since I first met her, I had had a teeny-weeny crush on her. Recently, being with her felt...different, though. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but if anything, I would say the crush had intensified.

I found myself thinking of how our personalities matched so well even though we were practically polar opposites, thinking of how when we were together, we helped to patch up the other's flaws, helped the other develop in areas they were lacking in, helped to complete each other. And occasionally...fantasising about inappropriate images of her...

Am I really falling for her?

 

Eventually, we endured the two weeks of pain and torture, which culminated in the "tantalising" prospect of sitting for the final exams. Well, let's just say it didn't go very well. Maybe, just maybe, that was a bit of an understatement. I left half the history paper undone; Tiffany did the same for Math, I barely understood the English comprehension passages; Tiffany only knew the answers to 5 out of 20 questions in the Chemistry paper. In a nutshell, we were goners, doomed to obtain abysmal results.

However, right after our last paper ended, we couldn't care less about our grades and decided to go somewhere to celebrate. 

"What about the amusement park? " Tiffany suggested excitedly.

Please no...I hate the rides...

"The choice is yours."

"Amusement park it is!" Tiffany exclaimed in delight, throwing her arm around me and skipping forward, forcing me to quicken my pace.

Kim Taeyeon you weak-willed, soft-hearted useless girl, what have you gotten yourself into now???