Karma

Princesses of Tennis

I clutch onto the metal bar as tightly as I can as butterflies start dancing wildly in my stomach.

"WOOOOHOOOO!" Tiffany yells in delight, waving her arms around wildly in the air. We slowly ascend up the roller coaster, my grip on the metal grip getting marginally tighter as we continued to go higher, desperately hanging on for dear life. We slowly advance towards the dreaded 83-degree drop, no one seems to be making noise now though, rather strangely, everyone seemingly anticipating the drop with bated breath.

The calm before the storm...

Tiffany let out one last shrill scream before we went into absolute freefall. I instinctively shut my eyes as tightly as I can as we hurtled at breakneck speed down the tracks. Call me a coward all you like, but the loops, drops and ever changing directions were far too much for me to handle, I had to keep my eyes shut till the worst of the ride was over with. Even then, I tentatively cracked only one eye open only to see Tiffany along with countless others raising their arms above their heads and yelling in joy and exuberance.

What in god's name is wrong with these people...are they crazy?

Not a minute too soon, the terrifying ride ended, much to my relief.
However, after getting off the ride, I was still trying to get my bearings when Tiffany practically dragged me over to the haunted house while gushing about how fun the ride was.

Not exactly my idea of fun...

"Ready for some jumpscares, Taetae?" Tiffany grinned at me cheekily.

No, not at all...

"As ready as I'll ever be..."

I had never been the biggest fan of massive thrills or being scared out of my mind, and the creepy atmosphere of the haunted house was already creeping me out. The eerie music, the unpleasant sight of a skull directly above its entrance and the muffled screams from within were giving me the chills.

And I haven't even stepped into the haunted house yet...

When it was finally our turn, I clutched Tiffany's arm tightly, figuring that having a dependable presence right by my side would only be for the better. Tiffany walked forward confidently, leading me forward in the pitch-black darkness.

All of a sudden, barely 15 seconds after we had entered, she hit me on the arm and screamed extremely loudly, making me jump out of my skin.

"WHAT, WHAT, WHERE IS IT?" I yelled in panic.

I was utterly confused to see Tiffany doubled over, clutching her stomach. Her shoulders were shaking uncontrollably and I could hear muffled laughter......oh.

"Oh my god Taeyeon your reaction was priceless!" She burst out in another fit of laughter.

Thankfully it was pitch-black in the haunted house, no one could see my face clearly which I was sure had to be an unprecedentedly deep shade of red, having been well and truly humiliated.

"You're supposed to be helping me through this, not scaring the pants off of me!" I yelled indignantly. I did not appreciate that!

"I'm sorry Tae, the opportunity was too great to pass up...I promise I'll take care of you from now on, you big baby."

As we continued on, I was scared by virtually everything that we crossed paths with, be it a potted plant (well, I thought it was something creepy) or a skeleton that popped out of a coffin. In stark contrast, Tiffany hardly seemed shaken, soldiering on courageously and somehow staying calm and collected even when faced with terrifying jumpscares.

Is she even human...

Eventually, we were nearing the end of the haunted house. I braced myself for one last intense jumpscare, it was how haunted houses worked, they were never going to let you leave peacefully, instead they would usually want you to leave with a bang...

We walked forward tentatively...nothing happened...a few more steps...nothing happened...we stepped out of the haunted house, exchanging confused glances. Was this really it? I got my answer almost instantly, hearing a suspicious creak above us...I glanced up immediately, only to see a bucket full of water tilting downwards towards us...all the water rushed out of the bucket...landing right on Tiffany.

She screamed loudly, her first scream in the entire haunted house experience, and I couldn't help but laugh. She was drenched from head to toe, her hair was a mess, the new pair of shoes she had bought soaked and practically ruined.

"Tiffany, why would you be screaming outside the haunted house? You were so brave in there, it makes no sense for you to scream outside where there's absolutely nothing scary..." I couldn't resist teasing Tiffany.

"Oh, just shut up Kim Taeyeon. I'm all drenched now! Why did this only happen to me?" Tiffany looked, well, rather pissed off to say the least.

I smirked, "That's what you get for messing with me just now. Karma, my dear friend."