Pepero Game

Princesses of Tennis

"Guys, please find your buddy and line up in front of me holding hands." Mr Ryu ordered.

Tiffany and I just kept staring at each other, rooted to our respective spots. Eventually, she gave me another of those irresistible eyesmiles and walked towards me, making my heart skip a beat.

Oh my god...she looks so pretty...and the school uniform looks so cute on her!

"We meet again it seems!" Tiffany exclaimed as she pulled me into another hug.

"Indeed...I never expected to see you here..." I hesitated for a moment then asked, "Are you comfortable speaking in Korean? If not I can speak a little English..."

"My father taught me both languages when I was being brought up, but I'd like to hear you speak English!" Tiffany said cheerfully, clearly waiting to hear my "wondrous" spoken English, even clapping her hands enthusiastically. 

Oh ...here goes nothing...

"Good Tippani, I hop you enjoy you stay here." I said in the best English I could muster.

Tiffany didn't react. I was confused by her silence...until her shoulders started shaking uncontrollably. She then burst out laughing but soon stopped with an apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry Taeyeon, your English is fine, just your pronunciation..." she burst out into another fit of laughter. 

I grinned stupidly at the sight, not really feeling insulted but feeling satisfied that I had managed to lift Tiffany's spirits. 

 

Before long, all the pairings had gathered in front of Mr Ryu and were split into different groups for the icebreakers. Tiffany and I were in a group along with another pairing, Yoona and Jessica.

"Alright guys, the first icebreaker of the day, the Pepero Game!" Mr Ryu announced with delight. 

Oh no...isn't it a bit fast to instantly be thrown into playing the Pepero Game with people we hardly know...

Tiffany and Jessica looked confused, having never heard of the game before.

"For you American peeps, the Pepero Game is a game where two people eat a Pepero biscuit from both ends and try to obtain as short a remnant as possible." Mr Ryu beamed as he explained the rules of the game. 

Tiffany gasped in shock, then looked at me as if to say," Isn't this a bit too fast?"

I shrugged my shoulders helplessly, we were never going to talk Mr Ryu out of an idea once he had his mind set on it. I knew from experience...

"Compete with the other pairing in your group to see who can get a shorter remnant! The winners will get prizes!" 

"Come on Taeyeon, we must win!" Tiffany exclaimed in excitement.

Well the competiveness I saw in that final is certainly showing now...

Yoona and Jessica went first. To my surprise, they really went for it, moving forward quickly and aggressively, and when their lips were almost touching, Yoona bit down and caught the remnant in the plate.

"0.5 cm! Woohoo! I think we've won Jess!" Yoona exclaimed with delight.

Holy ...they've won indeed...

"Not if I can help it..." Tiffany whispered to me, looking determined, fire in her eyes.

Oh no...

"Hey Tae! I've thought of a cheer for us!" Tiffany suddenly exclaims.

"What?" I ask absentmindedly, preoccupied with thoughts of being in such close proximity with Tiffany during the game, as well as how she had already given a nickname to me.

"What's Tennis in Korean?" She asks in English.

"Uh...Tae...Ny...Seu..." Wow...really?

"Yup! Come on, let's do it before we start!" Tiffany flashes me another eyesmile.

As much as I want to say no to spare myself from the embarrassment, I find myself unable to say no to this eyesmiling angel in front of me. I reluctantly yell, "Tae!"

"Ny!"

"Seu!" We yell in unison.

"Hwaiting!" We finish off. I feel everyone's eyes on us but can't help laughing at the sight of Tiffany laughing heartily and giving me a thumbs-up.

Now...time for the grand finale...

Everyone seems to have finished with their attempts by the time Tiffany grabs a pepero stick from the box, with all eyes on us. Tiffany looks unfazed, placing one end of the pepero stick in and motioning for me to do likewise with the other end.

I feel butterflies in my stomach as I engulf the other end of the pepero stick in my mouth...

I advance slowly but surely, only to see Tiffany looking into my eyes and absolutely devouring her end of the biscuit. In a matter of seconds, our lips are only inches apart...

This is too much.

I attempt to bite down on the biscuit but a split second before I do, Tiffany moves forward even further and my eyes widen in shock.

Our lips had touched.

My heart skips a beat.

The remnant of the biscuit is caught on the plate and measured by Tiffany while I stand still in a daze at the shock of the accidental kiss, my face turning as red as a tomato.

"0.3 cm!" Tiffany cheers as she hugs me tightly.

"Impossible! How can it be shorter than ours?"

"Well...they kissed..."

"Humph, fair enough, but we did so well!" I hear Jessica and Yoona grumbling at their shock loss.

Well...I guess it was worth it...