Confession

Princesses of Tennis

Well...she knows anyway...I guess there's no harm in being frank?

"Maybe I should have told you personally, but you know how I am, before you came into my life I hardly hung out with anyone, I had little experience with human interaction, so I wasn't sure if what I felt for you was normal affection for a friend or...something more..." I confessed softly, "But the more I think about it, while I like the way we are now, I'd like us to be...even more."

Having let whatever had been bottled up out, I looked down at my feet, suddenly finding my toenails extraordinarily interesting objects to study. I didn't dare to look Tiffany in the eye, awaiting her response with bated breath.

What if she doesn't swing that way? What if she decides to cut all ties with me? What if...what if...what if...

"Is that a confession?" Tiffany raised her eyebrows at me curiously.

"Well, yes and no."

"And that is supposed to mean...?"

"I guess you know about my feelings for you, but I'll find a more opportune time and situation to try and make our relationship official."

Tiffany smirked, "What makes you so sure that I'm into you?"

"I'm not, but I'll make sure you will be. 3 weeks by ourselves in this room, that's plenty of time for my irresistible charms to overwhelm you." I replied, keeping my face as straight as I could possibly maintain.

"Ooh, confident I see. Just FYI, I do like confidence in my girls." Tiffany gave me a wink, then headed into the bathroom to wash up.

It took me a while to fully process what she had said.

Girls? She's into girls? I punched the air in delight. Baby steps, Taeyeon, baby steps. It's progress nonetheless...

 

 

"Oh my god is that Nick Krygios?" Tiffany patted my shoulder repeatedly in excitement, pointing towards a crowd of journalists encircling the mercurial Australian who had recently become the World No. 1 in men's tennis. I nodded, it was easy to recognise him, really, his hair being dyed a shocking pink and garnering much attention all over the world. I wasn't a fan of it, but Tiffany adored it, more due to it being pink than anything else.

"I can't believe we're here rubbing shoulders with the game's elite! Oh my god, there's Simona Halep, I need to go ask for an autograph..." With that, Tiffany scurried off towards the Romanian currently dominating women's tennis, who was downing an isotonic drink.

I shook my head with a small smile on my face. I had never been one to go all fanatical over anything in particular, but seeing Tiffany's natural aegyo simply flowing out in front of one of her idols, it was a precious sight.

"Excuse me..." I unexpectedly felt someone tapping on my shoulder. I turned around immediately, following which my jaw fell slack and my mouth stayed agape. It was Hyeon Chung, the top Korean male tennis player who recently triumphed at the French Open!

"You are...Kim Taeyoung, is that right?" He smiled and extended his hand to me.

"Kim Taeyeon." I shook his hand while bowing repeatedly, still a little tongue-tied.

"Ah, Kim Taeyeon...anyway I've heard a lot about you. The buzz in Korea is all about how you're going to be the next big thing in women's tennis!"

"Oh...really? It's an honour, I'll be trying my best." I replied as politely as possible.

He patted me on the shoulder once again before heading towards the practice courts. I turned around, heaving a sigh of relief only to see Tiffany staring at me with a bemused look on her face. 

"Wow, even after that confession, I turn my back for a minute and you're off flirting with another guy..." Sheesh...I tried my best to ignore her teasing as we made our way to the practice courts together.

 

 

Note: Whatever I write in this story about the tennis scene is not at all related to reality, but since this story is based in the future I'm predicting it as best as I can. It may somehow end up accurate or be ridiculously far from the truth, so take the results and rankings of the real-life players with a pinch of salt, it's mostly included to aid the flow of the story. :)