Home Sweet Home

Princesses of Tennis

"This is your home?"

"Yup, yours too, at least for the next month."

We stepped into my modest but cozy apartment, following which my mother and father, who were watching television, immediately offered Tiffany warm greetings and firm handshakes.

"Tiffany-sshi, I hope you enjoy your stay here and become good friends with Taeyeon. She really needs more people in her life." My mother said, smiling warmly at Tiffany.

"Go easy on Taeyeon in tennis matches in the future too please! I heard she got her kicked by you!" My father added while laughing heartily.

"Gee thanks." I shot a mock glare towards my father.

"Yes I will, don't worry! I'm sure we will become great friends! And Taeyeon is well capable of beating me without me going easy on her! She's an amazing player! I feel honoured to be her practice partner!" Tiffany flashes one of her patented eyesmiles at my parents, putting her arm around my shoulder.

"She's your practice partner...? What about Hyoyeon?" My parents enquire inquisitively.

"Hyoyeon got injured...she's out for a few months, so I found a replacement, " I answer, gesturing towards Tiffany.

My parents smile broadly. "Looks like you two will be spending a lot of time together then! Just so you know, Tiffany, you will also be sharing a room with Taeyeon, is that alright?"

"Yes, that would be lovely!"

 

"Tada, our room!" I push the door open, looking at Tiffany's eyes flicker all around the room. I look at her expectantly for any sort of reaction. It surprises me when she pouts, seemingly disappointed.

"Something wrong with the room?"

"No...no, it's lovely..." Tiffany immediately plasters a smile onto a face. 

"Out with it, what do you not like about the room?"

She hesitates for a few moments, finally mumbling, "It's perfectly fine, just that it's a bit...boring...My room back in America was painted all pink, with pink curtains, pink bedsheets..." Her face visibly brightens up as she mentions pink.

Holy ...the pink obsession is real...

I shake my head in mock disapproval.

"Freak."

"Yah Kim Taeyeon I'm not a freak! I merely adore pink..." She states indignantly, pouting as she did so.

I couldn't help smiling at her cuteness.

"Monster...pink monster..."

"Yah!!!"

 

After yet another gruelling practice with Tiffany, we headed home exhausted. She was so dedicated and focused even during practice, it was eye-opening the first couple of times we practiced, as I tended to fool around during practice prior to practicing with her. I had gotten used to the intensity of practicing with Tiffany already though, and practicing harder than I ever had before seemed to pay off, I felt fitter and stronger on court as well as being able to be more consistent.

I spent so much time with Tiffany over the past couple of weeks, it seemed more than I spent with my family. We practiced together, sat next to each other in class, ate together, went home together, did homework together...you name it, we probably did it together. We had struck up a wonderful friendship, and it occasionally crossed my mind that I had never been as close to somebody as I was to Tiffany. 

"Uh, Earth to Taeyeon?" I snapped out of my thoughts, seeing Tiffany waving her hand in front of my face with an amused look on her face.

"Yeah? Sorry I was out of it there."

"Can you help me with revision for tomorrow's Math test? I'm really worried."

Bollocks, I completely forgot about the Math test!

"Of course I'll help you."

"Thanks boo!" She hugs me tightly from behind.

 

"How does the Binomial Theorem work?" Tiffany asked while scratching her head.

I let out a deep sigh. "Fany-ah, haven't you been paying attention in class? These are merely the basics!"

Tiffany had been pelting me with dozens of questions, all of which were so routine it was frustrating trying to explain them to her. It was already 12.30 am, and most of the time I had been patiently explaining the different concepts to her. She still seemed clueless though...

"I'm sorry, explain it to me please?"

I was never going to be able to say no to Tiffany though...

"The power of decreases as you expand the equation..."

 

It was almost 2 am when she seemed satisfied with the knowledge she had garnered.

"Thanks Taeyeon, I think I understand the concepts now! I love you, you're the best!" She wraps her arms around me tightly and kisses me on the cheek.

I stand there in a daze momentarily. 

Holy ...