Chapter 6

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

Taemin’s Home

Heechul slammed his hand against the end table, causing it to rattle and shake. The gleam of the orange sky danced through their elongated windows and cascaded across Heechul’s figure as he stood amidst the three of them. His stance was stern and his eyes glared from one teenager to the next. Taemin, Amber, and Kai. All three of their faces tensed as the ‘boom’ from his hand sounded through their ears. Their shoulders raised and their eyes flinched closed.

“You have found nothing!” He bellowed.

Taemin watched the man unsure which was worst, his actions or the thunder that sounded from his throat.

“That’s not true, we found out that a boy was hurt. Key-“ Heechul’s glare stung Kai’s voice to a halt. Taemin winced for the man. He wished he could have warned Kai not to say anything at all, but he was too late.

“And what is under his cast, do any of you know? Is it truly just a scratch that injured his entire arm?!”

This time Amber walked up, her figure stern, her features strong. She was always the best one to speak up when they got in trouble, but even now Taemin was unsure if she had the ability to calm Heechul down. It was their fault after all. Now the elders must clean up their mess if nothing is fixed.

“We didn’t know things were going to get out of hand. We thought-“

“You thought what?! All you all do is bicker between one another. We are supposed to be unified families that protect this forest! But neither of you can get past your hatred for the other! All you do is fight!”

He stopped. His chest was heaving rapidly in and out. Heechul stuck his hand out and waved her away. As respect, she stepped back into the single clean line the three of them made together.  Taemin watched him. He was attempting to calm himself, controlling his breathing as to not blow whatever he had left. The boy grimaced. Shindong. They must have met recently. It was the only way Heechul would be responding the way he was. Not a day goes by that their Uncle doesn’t explode at them for their wrongdoings, but now and every so often when he does go see Shindong, he breathes. Calms himself down. Taemin didn’t mind the harsh tone that they received as punishment but he did mind when Shindong seemed to get to Heechul. He didn’t understand what peace the two had with one another, why they didn’t share the same dislike that he and Minho did.

“Taemin,” Heechul spoke softly, shoes clicking on the floor as he walked closer to the boy. Taemin lifted his head and their eyes locked. “You’re unusually quiet today. You have no response?”

Me and Kai wanted to approach the Key boy but Minho wouldn’t let us.” He spoke quickly but matter-of-factly.

Their Uncle sighed and walked away, slowing his pace in small circles.

“You children give me a headache most times.” His voice was soft, his face turned towards the windows. “What is our duty?”

“Keeping the forest safe.” The three of them said in unity.

“Then we must keep the peace. That is why our families work together. How many times must I repeat this to you all before you get a grip? This is your last year of school.” He turned and his eyes locked back on Taemin. “You and Minho both will have higher responsibilities but with this feud that you two keep up, all we and the elders see are still children unable to come to a conclusion.”

“My dislike with Minho will not interfere with what I have to do-“

“It will!” He screamed, then softened. “It will. And the fact that you cannot see it now only tells me that you’re still not ready. A boy, nonchalantly in the forest got hurt and we do not know if it is the fault of you all or simply a small fall on the part of the boy’s.”

“I can find out!” Taemin exclaimed. “If Minho would just stay out of my way-“

Heechul held up his hand.

“You and Amber, go and run some laps outside. Kai, you can stay inside and finish your studies. You weren’t apart of the scrabble that happened that night, so you are free from punishment.”

“But-“ Taemin tried.

“Go. Now.”

 

Minho’s Home

Shindong sat down, arms spread across the top of the velvet couch with one leg crossed over the other. His navy blue pants suit raised up from his ankles, showing his black socks. He bore his eyes into theirs. Minho, Donghae, and Hyunah's.

“Do the others know that you went and talked to this Key boy?” He asked looking straight at Minho.

“No, sir. If they knew it would have been too rowdy of a situation. They would have-“

Shindong placed his hand into the air.

“I’m going to have to tell Heechul what you told me.”

“But why!” Minho suddenly exclaimed, throwing himself off guard. His arms uncrossed and his body had jumped forward without his permission.

He cleared his throat when he realized what just occurred and stood back in place. Donghae turned his head in surprise.

“What I mean to say,” he cleared his throat once again, “why do you constantly have to tell Heechul everything. You both are the heads, yes, but this information will change nothing. Key gave me nothing new.”

“Because.” Shindong’s voice was like a loud speaker as he stood. “We must keep the peace and we must share information. Something you and Taemin lack. You both are steadly acting like squabbling children when you need to be working together. This is your last year and yet, Heechul and I discover that you all were fighting in the forest?”

“I didn’t estimate that it would get out of hand. We were just there to settle things-“

“And did you?” He interrupted. Shindong turned his body ever so slightly and leaned in Minho’s direction.

“No sir.” The boy murmured.

“And now look, a boy is injured as a mistake on your part. Whether he was hurt by one of you or simply scared off, there’s not a doubt in my mind that whatever happened to him was the cause of you all fighting. Who knows how deep into the forest he was. And you say he was-“

“Sweating when I asked him. Not much but just slightly on the top of his forehead. It indicates that he was lying...about something-“

“Or that he was afraid. Of you. Have you ever considered that my boy?”

Minho bowed his head down to the floor and slowly shook it.

“You may believe you think things through clearly but sometimes you praise yourself too much. If the boy is hurt because of one of you, then we are all in trouble. Hyunah.”

The girl popped her head into existence having slightly wandered off.

“I am disappointed that you followed this.”

She bowed her head in unison with Minho.

“I’m sorry.”

“You are wiser when you aren’t angry. For now,” he waved his hand at the two of them. “Go perform laps outside as your punishment while I figure out what is to be done.”

Without any further argument, Hyunah and Minho walked off, backs arched like soldiers marching off into battle. When they were out of view Donghae arched an eyebrow and looked at the man.

“Do you have to be so harsh on them?” He asked.

Shindong sighed and seated himself on the couch. Donghae joined him.

“I really don’t think the boy got too hurt.”

“But I’m slightly afraid that Minho was right,” Shindong answered. “What if the boy was lying. I mean, we don’t know what is under his cast. But then again, they wouldn’t have had him released from the hospital if it was serious.”

“See,” Donghae smiled, “look at the brighter side of things.”

“Heechul’s probably giving them hell.” The man chuckled.

“I can only imagine.” He laughed back.

“But since the children are gone,” Shindong straightened his posture on the couch. “What have you found at the school? The elders said-“

“There’s definitely something a little off there, yeah. I think it’s someone in Minho’s class. I’m just not sure who.”

“Well, at least that’s something to tell them.”
 

***

Today Key decided to switch seats. He moved his things from his regular spot after just having sat down and made his way over to Onew. His friend looked up from his notes and eyed him suspiciously.

“And what do I owe this glorious occasion?” He asked.

Key rolled his eyes and grabbed his things out of his backpack.

“People are staring at me since yesterday, it’s getting annoying. Rather have you as a wall so I don’t have to stare back.”
Onew chuckled and shook his head, placing his pen back in his hand and beginning to write. Key watched him. Watched as he created every word on his paper and realized just what he was looking at. Notes. Again.

“Onew…?” His voice was quiet. He eased closer so others couldn’t hear. “Not sleeping well again?”

Onew lifted his eyes and raised his brows. His expression was questionable as if he had no idea what his friend was talking about. But then, almost as a slight fear, he looked down at his paper. His brows furrowed and he closed his notebook.

“I-I’m sleeping fine. Just a habit I guess from all those nights I wasn’t sleeping well.” He chuckled.

Now who was lying? Key could see it in his friend’s demeanor. The chuckle was a cover-up he tried every time he didn’t want to talk about it or, in this case, didn’t remember. But it wasn’t an ordeal that he felt like arguing with him over.

“Onew.” He spoke. “Something-“

As he realized just how much of his attention he had, it stopped him. Onew looked him dead in the eyes, straying away from his notebook. He stared as if he was prepared to listen to whatever Key had to say. Should he really tell him about Minho approaching him yesterday? He might make a big deal out of it though it was strange, especially for Minho. But then again, Onew might waddle back to Luna’s theories of them and the forest. That was something he definitely didn’t want to get into.

“What Key?”  

The classroom door opened before he could even utter a “never mind,” “nothing, I forgot,” or whatever lie would pop into his head. It was Minho and his cousin Donghae. They looked…well…Minho looked expressionless as usual, but Donghae, he almost looked like the rest of the classmates. Suspicious. Of something…or someone. There was a small crease in his forehead, lines circling around his eyes only slightly. It was a difference from yesterday, Key was sure. The class grew quiet. They were like celebrities being introduced on the red carpet, only, many were more suspicious of them rather than elated.

The two of them walked by, over to their seats in the back. Even though Key looked up, Minho made no indication that they’d even met yesterday, let alone talked. The man just made a straight line for the back seats. It pissed Key off, if only for a moment. Was he really going to act like nothing happened?! But his thoughts were cut off from the presence of both Kai and Taemin coming in right after. Unlike Minho, Taemin did glare down to Key as he walked back, making sure that the boy saw.

“What the hell was that all about?” Onew whispered to him.

“Beats me.” Key answered with a shrug. Great, now not only was Minho acting weirder but so was Taemin. Ever since their cousins came, they’ve been anything but silent.

***

“I gotta go in a minute to my next class,” Onew muttered, grabbing his things together.

The lunchroom was crowded today, a meat special on the menu. Not something they get every day. Onew had stuffed himself well before having to bid his friend farewell until they met again.

“Key.” Onew snapped his fingers in front of his eyes.

Key stopped using his chopsticks to play around in his food and looked up.

“Onew, I heard you.”

“What’s wrong with you? You’ve been tired looking ever since first period passed.”

Key shrugged.

“I’m just a little sleepy today is all. I think it’s the meds the doctors have me on.” He yawned.

Onew shook his head in disapproval.

“Then you should’ve told your aunt to let you stay home. You know, it isn’t a crime to miss out on school because you’re injured. Or…” he sounded out, “were you also up working on your pictures from the forest?”

This time Key pulled his eyebrows up in a surprised but guilty expression. Onew pursed his lips already knowing the answer and sat down next to his friend, slapping his book bag next to him.

“Key, you are injured, you are taking meds, you are still coming to school. Stop working on your pictures for a few moments in order to get back to your old self. There’s no harm in that.”

“Says the man that always tells me I need to hurry up and finish them.” He chuckled.

“Yeah but not dying in the process.” He responded with a soft chuckle as well and stood up again, hauling his bookbag over his back.

His head turned in the direction of Minho and Taemin, coincidentally. Both of their little gangs, if only for a mere second, appeared to be staring at Key. Onew turned and looked at his friend but he was back to fooling around with his food, paying no mind.

“Hmmm….” Onew grimaced. “I told you something was up with them.” He spoke.

“With who?” Key sighed, pulling his attention away from his food.

“All of them. They were staring at you again, I know it.”

“Onew, stop being paranoid and just go to your class. If I get too sleepy, I’ll just go to the nurse’s office. Alright?”

“Alright…just…watch out for them, they’re starting to give me the creeps.” Before Key could object, his friend was off, moving in long strides to get to his next class.

He wished he had as much motivation for a classroom experience but, as it was, today was not the day. His mind was hazy, his eyes drooping to another realm it seemed. There was this heavy feeling deep inside his gut. Almost as if he hadn’t slept in days and yet, he’d slept perfectly fine last night, whether he was up a little late with his photos or not. Key leaned his head on his good hand and ushered his elbow down to the table. He’d gotten the special today just like everyone else, but unlike everyone, he hadn’t touched anything on it. A hefty huff moaned from his throat as he tried to get his vision together. Wasn’t completely awful, but wasn’t great.

“Maybe I should go to the nurse.” He whispered, nodding in response.

And that’s when he realized. Their eyes. All four of them. But his were so droopy that he wasn’t sure. Was Onew right? Were they staring at him? His head was turned in their direction. Yeah, their eyes seemed to be looking straight at him. As if he were drunk, his eyelids drooped up and down.

“Time to go to the nurse.” He slurred.

With his free hand, he pushed himself out of the chair and grabbed his backpack as best he could, then sluggishly, made his way towards the exit. Boom! A large pounding sound stopped him in his steps. Even woke him up if for a bit. He turned, uncoordinated like, but he turned. Taemin was standing, arms straight against the table. He was staring at Key, anger in his expression.

“That’s it!” He screamed, making the boy jump.

“Taemin no!” Minho yelled, but from what Key could tell he was stopped by Kai. The boy pushed him back and Minho pushed harder.

Either this was the first time something strange was happening between them in public or hallucinations were starting to become part of the packaged deal. Key stepped backward in an attempt to go towards the exit.

“Oh no, you don’t!” Taemin hollered lunging for the boy.

If Key could run, he would’ve. But his drowsiness was so deep that he could barely keep his legs together without falling. Donghae came running up behind Taemin. He screamed something but Key was too busy blinking his eyes, trying to stay awake. He saw Taemin turn around and push the bulky man with all his strength. A strength that Key never knew he had. The slender figure of him was definitely an illusion. Donghae went sliding across the floor, hitting a chair along the way.

“I wanna know what the hell you’re hiding,” Taemin grunted.

He was over to Key before the boy could even protest, could even speak. His hand grabbed onto his cast with tremendous force, inflicting greater pain than the medicine tried to ease off. Key winced creating a hissing sound from his lips and pulled back, but Taemin was too strong for him. He could hear gasps filling the cafeteria room, eyes pouring in on the scenery. If he could yell for Taemin to stop it, he would, but as was his circumstance, nothing would utter from his lips.

“Get off of him you !” Came a sudden familiar voice.

Taemin’s grasp was abruptly pulled away from Key as a boy’s body became a wall between the two of them. The sun shining through the window bounced off of his brown locks and into his eyes; backpack still on but a protective stance guarding Key.

Onew.

Key watched as the boy pushed harder onto Taemin’s chest, barely making the man move. Kai and Minho were still fighting, throwing hands harder than Key ever saw anyone do. Donghae laid on the floor, his hand rubbing the back of his head that had slammed into the chair. And there was Onew, pushing to protect Key with all his might.

“Move out the way!” Taemin grunted, pushing Key’s best friend like he was nothing but air. Onew went hurtling towards the wall, his shoulder hitting brick. He heard his friend groan with soreness. Again, Taemin lunged for him and again he grabbed onto the boy’s cast.

Key screamed out in pain. Or at least he thought he did. There were only small little squeaky grunts that would surface. With his bare hand, Taemin set pressure onto the cast and almost like pulling off a Band-Aid, Key’s cast went flying.

The crowd gasped. Minho and Kai stopped fighting. Donghae stood. Onew stared on. And Key hurled backward by the force. There it was. His wound, out in the open. Taemin narrowed his eyes as he looked at it…some of the stitches came off in the process, forcing small drops of blood to pour out.

“Its…” Taemin stuttered, taken aback. “It’s just a scratch.” 

 

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Decided to give you guys a long one because of the long wait. But don't worry, I am currently working on the next chapter. Most likely won't be as long but it will have another astonishing and questioning ending pertaining to Key's wound. What do you guys think? Also, do you all like longer chapters or shorter chapters?