Chapter 9

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

So I want to apologize so much for taking SO LONG to post this. College has started once again, so my schedule has been a little hectic, especially doing day and night classes. I'm talking 9 pm. I've worked on this chapter all weekend so I really hope you guys like it. I think I'm going to set a schedule up for myself with these chapters. So starting today, I'm going to try and have a new chapter up for you guys about every Sunday. I live in the central pacific time zone, if that helps you guys. Again, sorry, enjoy!

P.S. This is defintiely going to be a long series. Whether in this story alone or starting a new story and making like a novel series. 

****

The moon was beginning to show visible in the dim sky. Not entirely night but rather dark in its settings. The two families stood across from one another in the foyer of Shindong’s home. A decision they had suddenly decided upon. Shindong sat in a velvet wine chaise longue, his solid cerulean suit gently contrasting from the furniture. His cream cufflinks settled calmly with the rest of his clothes but unlike the moment in the garden, this time, he wore shoes; dark chestnut loafers that shined in their corners from the overhead lights. Heechul was a few feet across from him, sitting in another chaise longue of the same color, but creating a distraction with his coral pin-striped suit with tan lines, attempting to correlate with the tan matte finished dress shoes he wore. He relaxed his hands to the side of him, opposite of Shindong who folded his across his knee. Both families stood on either side. Minho looking across from Taemin, Hyuna across from Amber, and Donghae across from Kai.

It was a stale atmosphere mixed with hate and anger. A slight chill wavering through the room. Unlike their time in the garden, the two heads of the households took on a more formal and discreet demeanor focusing on the problem at hand.

“So,” Shindong began, “what do we do with these disappointments.”

His tone was a sigh away from giving up.

“Besides the women,” Heechul proceed, gesturing towards Amber and Hyuna, “neither of you have improved your actions and instead have greatened the pressure constantly presented to us by the elders.”

“I apologize for-“ Shindong raised his hand shutting the boy down. “Minho no one said you could speak yet.”

Taemin grimaced, an evil snarl curling up to the side of his lip.

“And no one said you could react.” Heechul snapped at Taemin.

In an attempt to pretend as if he did nothing, the boy recoiled his reaction, straightening his back.

“If I may,” Hyuna interrupted, changing the focus of the atmosphere. They both turned their heads and nodded for her to proceed. “If neither I nor Amber have anything to do with this meeting, then why are we present?”

“We never mentioned that this meeting had nothing to do with the two of you,” Shindong replied.

“We simply stated that you two have shown greater improvement.” Heechul finished.

There they go again. Finishing each other’s sentences like no one would notice. The act of secrecy was in turn a twinge of disgust in Taemin’s point of view. He looked around, searched for reactions, but as he knew, no one moved a muscle. Their faces were straight lines on a wall. Yet, so was his. He knew not to make another face, the last thing he needed was Heechul on his again. But the way they stood, they carried themselves, especially in one another’s presence, it irked the boy. He wanted to scowl, tell them to stop flirting whether or not they consciously knew they were doing it. But, like the others, if any of them even realized it, he said and did nothing.

Heechul stood up, straightening his posture and folding his hands behind his back. His eyes wandered around the room, his pupils touching on each of the teenagers that stood before them. He carried himself like a drill sergeant about to give order to attack, a demeanor Taemin was used to after all this time, but instead Heechul’s features hardened, his brows furrowed and his lip creased to the left side of his face as if words that he’d regret were about to utter from his mouth.

“The elders,” he sighed, wrinkles forming in the corners of his eyes, “heard about the incident that occurred at school. Trust me, an ordeal like that dealing with our families is something that can’t go unnoticed. They are reporting that neither you,”  he turned to Taemin, “nor you,” he turned to Minho, “are prepared for the responsibilities of becoming heads of the families.”

“What?!” Both of the boys exasperated.

Minho had completely forgotten his formal stance. His fingers shook with anxiety as he eyed Taemin. This was all his fault after all. Minho was just trying to keep things civil, formal. But Taemin and his family were so abrupt and unpredictable. And now, look at the ordeal the two of them were in, while Amber and Hyuna became the respected faces of their two families, the two of them wore the masks of disgrace and dishonor. If only…If only it wasn’t for that night. That terrible night where the misty clouds stood away from the moon, letting it stand in its own light. That terrible night that, for some reason still unknown amongst even themselves, they acted wildly, lost control. It was something to be ashamed of. For Minho at least. His presence was honor itself, his morals, pristine. Yet, he let that night get the best of him. The shake of his hand caused him to clasp his hand over the black band that sat on his wrist. If only...he could remember why they’d fought in the first place…

“Minho,” Shindong stood as well, forming the same stance as Heechul.

He re-clipped the top metal button on his suit that’d gotten loose.

“There is no reason for you too, to seem surprised. You are just as much to blame as Taemin is.”

“If I may,” Minho interrupted, “how sir.”

He’d remembered his formality and repositioned himself back into his regular stance.

“Minho it’s that kind of overthinking that gives the elders plenty of reason to believe you are not ready for the position that was going to be presented to both of you after graduation. You also were apart of the fight that happened in the woods. A fight that scared a human and caused him injury. A fight that now has rumors spreading like wildfire. Am I correct?”

Minho’s lip quivered with self-anger and astonishment. His doe-eyes lowered to the ground, watching the tiny cracks in the wood as if they would move at any time.

“Yes, sir.” He mumbled.

“Am I also correct in saying that you perused this boy named Key after school to try and reason with him, an order that I did not give you, only to end of possibly scaring him further.”

“Yes sir, but, we are not sure that he was frightened by my presence.”

“Are you not the one who said that his friend kept looking at the two of you? That even at one point the Key boy turned to look at all of you?” Heechul asked.

“Yes, sir.”

“Who is to say that this Key boy hadn’t told his friend what you did the other day.”

Taemin cracked a smile, the skin on the corners of his lips stretching with satisfaction and before he could react by dodging, a hand came flying across his cheek, the skin, redding at the touch.

“You dare smile!” Heechul hollered, his feet sharply turning to face the boy.

Taemin his lips and corrected his standing back to its former position. A piece of his hair had flown out of formation, creating wisps at the sides of his face. Amber and Hyuna stammered but switched their posture back before either head could notice. To show weakness in the moment of discipline was seen as wanting discipline themselves.  

“No sir.” He murmured.

“After your actions in the cafeteria, you think you have the nerve to pursue laughing?”

“No sir.”

“Heechul.” Shindong’s subtle voice wavered over and a soft hand settled on Heechul’s shoulder. He tilted his head to the side, eyeing the man’s movement.

Heechul let out a deep breath and placed his shaking hand on his side.

“The school,” he proceeded, “is requesting that all of you not be present at school for the next week.  The guardians of the two boys are understandably upset to the point that they don’t want you two anywhere near them. However, because of you all’s excellent student reputation, they are not expelling either of you. They have requested, however, that the two of you not come to school for the next week.”

“On top of that,” Shindong began, “the elders were considering bringing an overseer to each of our residences to observe us.”

“That’s ridic-“

Heechul raised his hand to stop both Amber and Hyuna from proceeding.

“I said they were considering.” Shindong reaffirmed. “I never said that they’ve decided upon it. With some persuasion from both I and Heechul, we’ve convinced them to give you children some more time. They have still settled on the decision that both Taemin and Minho are unfit to become heads as of now, but if they see improvement, they will change their minds. As of now, Hyuna and Amber are to proceed with their training and private schooling. But to you two,” his eyes wavered on the women, “let them be an example of what we don’t expect.”

“Yes, sir.” They announced in unison.

“I-If I may,” Taemin began. The two heads looked over to him and nodded. “Is there a way we could compensate with the elders in approving Minho and I’s status. Perhaps there is something we could do.”

He chose his words carefully. The sting from the hit was still fresh on his skin, simmering at the top layer like a heating stove. Heechul’s hits were always so aggressive and true. And Taemin was the one constantly receiving them. A time like this was no different, but there was a difference in Heechul’s eyes. Pity, regret? He was right, it was time they stopped their petty arguments, at least for now, and get back into the good graces of the elders.

“There is something,” Shindong announced.

“If the two of you,” Heechul continued, “can get the boy to understand that what you did was a mistake. Make up somehow, then the elders will give you another chance of earning your titles after graduation. This is the deal we bargained with them.”

“But I thought you would want us to stay away from them.” Taemin retorted.

“Of course, we do,” Shindong replied. “You need to find a way to let the Key boy come to you and when he does, you need to correct your actions. When you had the chance, you completely ruined it by starting a fight and ripping off the boy’s cast. Understandably the guardians don’t want you anywhere near neither the Key boy or the Onew one.”

“This is a strange request.” Minho continued. “Aren’t you afraid-“

“Fear is not an option.” Heechul interrupted. “We talk about this all the time. You two need to fix this mess that you’ve created. Being quiet isn’t an option for the two of you anymore. Not now that you’ve created this ruckus. I know….” He sighed, “the last encounters you’ve had with this boy haven’t been to par, but I and Shindong believe the two of you can fix that and perhaps learn something in the process.”

“You are dismissed,” Shindong affirmed just as Taemin was beginning to raise his finger in opposition.

The teens exited the way, feet shuffling against the mahogany wood. All except Donghae. He watched the rest of them leave the room and turned to Shindong and Heechul. The three excused themselves to another area of the house, far away from prying ears.

“Are you sure this is the right decision; given the circumstances I mean.” Donghae began.

His goofy look that was always plastered on his face had vanished. All that stood before them was a serious man, lingering on the subject of decision.

Shindong sighed, looking amongst the floorboards before meeting their eyes again.

“It’s the only way for us to find out something. Heechul and I discussed this with each other when we went to the first meeting at the school in an attempt to go to the boy Key ourselves and apologize. The Onew one as well. The boys were in the nurse’s office but we were not allowed to see them.”

“Something you two haven’t informed me of?” Donghae asked.

It was Heechul’s turn to take the lead. He nodded.

“We just discovered it recently, but it is also something that we haven’t informed the elders of either.”

“Which is?”

“The guardian of the boy Key. She is…strange.” Shindong finished.

Donghae moved his head to the side, a questioning expression leading onto his face.

“As in, she walks funny?”

“As in her scent.” Heechul reaffirmed. “Something was…off. Or at least we think it was. It could be a reason why she was so quick to be rid of us.”

“Our noses aren’t that bad. Either something was off or it wasn’t.” Donghae gestured.

“This was different.” Shindong went on, “there was definitely something strange about her scent, but it was almost like it was…hiding; another scent trying cast over her or something.”

“You sure it’s not the two of you going a little overboard with all this. I mean, you two do have a lot to handle on your plate right now. Given the circumstances, it made sense that she didn’t want you two anywhere near them or her.”

“No,” Heechul stated. His voice was strong and sure. He balled up his fist. “There’s something not right. And with the guardian’s scent being off, her child being the one injured, and the kids acting strangely, it’s starting to look like less of a coincidence. Have you found anything?”

Donghae shook his head.

“The longer I stay, though, the more I’m sure Minho is going to start asking questions. He knows I don’t belong here. He’s already been eyeing me lately, but every time he tried to bring it up, I do something to stir him away.”

The two Heads nodded.

“Alright, just continue what you are doing before the elders start wanting to know more. They are already busy with us enough.”

“I can tell you this,” Donghae adjusted his stance, arching his back to stretch, “I think I’m starting to agree with you on this coincidence thing. Cause there’s definitely something off about that classroom. The same one the Key boy is in.”