Chapter 47

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

Hey Everybody! 

So I'm coming back with another chapter, but I gave you guys a long one to make up for lost time, I had a set goal for this chapter so I really wanted to perfect it! Hope you enjoy.

---

“So, you have some ominous inkling that he’s working solo?” Kim said unbelievingly.

It was morning and they all gathered around the center of the living room sitting in the plush couches curled with burgundy. All except Kim. She stood and leaned on one of the couch’s handles, arms crossed, frown extremely obvious. No matter what they did last night, she still didn’t trust them. It didn’t make it any better that they all had to stay here either. Both Onew and Key were wide awake now, and attentive. They didn’t hold the same grudges as Min-seo and Kim, but then again, they didn’t live in that era as their guardians had. A war between two species—one prone to power and the other, acceptance. Onew and Key sat on the same couch together with Minho and Taemin. Kim sent random and quite apparent glares in the direction of the young Cerberi, but they tried to ignore it as best as possible.

Min-seo and her husband sat on a shorter couch together, angled as an outside barrier of the others. Min-seo didn’t think it was best for him to be caught in the middle of supernatural business, but he insisted that anything dealing with his child was his business as well—and wouldn’t budge. In all, the couch alignment in the living room created a full square and the Uncles sat on their own meaning Kim leaned on the only empty short couch left. The Uncles requested that Kai watch over the troublemakers against Taemin’s better judgment. But Kai had simply shrugged his shoulders and complied. He was a loyal Beta that way, something that would never change, no matter how hot-headed in likeness he was to Taemin.

The Hallasan wolves were forced by the Uncles into the Lock Room, just a winds way down from the center living room. It was a room specially designed to keep in their kind—Cerberi. For those who couldn’t control their transformation as well as others and needed time for more practice. In other words, they were stuck in a prison while the Uncles figured out how to report them. It was hard to find out who to trust under their current circumstances.

 

Minho played with his fingers again before speaking. When the words “I think the Elders are dead and Donghae killed them,” came out of his mouth, he was expecting more backlash, at least from the Uncles for some reason. The theory was a little out there and it was something he’d come up with out of the blue last night even though he was deadly tired. Instead, everybody sat there quietly, thinking. And the Uncles, they sat there with a stern, focused looks on their faces—nothing apart from normal though. Their expressions were always like that. There was a huge hard lump forming in Minho’s throat, but he swallowed it before answering Aunt Kim’s statement.

“It’s just a theory,” he inquired, “but after thinking about it for a while, it all makes sense.”

“No, it doesn’t,” she retorted almost immediately, releasing her arms down to her sides. “Donghae is insane, but he isn’t stupid. Plus, he wouldn’t have the power to kill the others even if he wanted to.”

“I agree,” Min-seo replied but with a softer tone. “Not only would he not have the power, but those Elders were as thick as thieves. There is no way, even for their own evilness, that they would betray one another.”

“Well, I disagree with you and Aunt Kim,” Onew suddenly spoke up, capturing the eyes of everyone. Everyone except Taemin, as if the boy knew what he was going to say already.

Onew leaned back a little more and shrugged.

“Do you now,” his mother’s eyes narrowed.

“Yes, I do.”

There was no hesitation in his voice, even though this blunt tone was sent out towards his own mother. Key watched in surprise. It was like the man had grown a bit of a backbone overnight—not like he needed one anyway. But for the first time since they found out what they were and what their guardians were hiding—Onew didn’t sound angry when he spoke to them. He sounded reasonable. Like he had thought about his answer for quite some time now.

“What Minho suggests is a possibility that I brought up to Taemin last night after I woke up,” he continued.

Again with the no hesitation.

Minho witnessed Taemin’s body slump and ease further into the couch when his name was spoken out loud. Another glare sent his way by the oh-so-charming aunt, but this time accompanied by Onew’s mother.

“Oh,” his mother went on, “and why were the two of you talking last night instead of sleeping – in separate rooms.”

Key switched his eyes from Min-seo to Onew, but the boy had the same expression.

“I could also ask what the grownups were doing arguing until the wee hours of the morning—but I won’t.” There it was again, that spunk.

What exactly did transpire between Taemin and Onew last night, Key wondered.

Min-seo pursed her lips in response. You could tell by the twitch from the corner of that she wasn’t used to her son’s retaliation. She didn’t know how to react.

“Onew,” his father warned with a deepened tone.  

“All I’m saying is,” he sighed out, “it’s an actual possibility. Let’s be honest. Mom, both you and Aunt Kim don’t want to admit that it’s a possibility because of your bias against their species. And I get that—I do, but how is it that Donghae has gone this long without any interference from the Elders? Unless the Cerberi in this room has heard something that we haven’t?”

And he turned his attention on the others. Aunt Kim’s lips spread thin like paper, but her eyes glared around the room once more as well, pointing at each and every Cerberi that surrounded them. Minho and Taemin shook their heads and so did the Uncles.

“We didn’t even know that Donghae was an Elder. We’ve only seen one other before,” Heechul announced, “they don’t show themselves as much as our stories like to tell. Even for our celebration for the Alpha marks. If one was to show, it was the same one as before. Perhaps it’s different for other Tribes, but for us, we do not covert with them as word-of-mouth may suggest.”

“There was something that caught Minho’s attention when we were in Paradise,” Onew continued. He gestured towards the man near him and nodded his head to speak.

Minho knew instantly what Onew was moving towards and nodded back.

“Donghae said something while taunting Key when we were in Paradise,” he assured, “He said an old Elder saying that we’re taught when we’re cubs—”

“We stand in stride, in one, if not together at all,” Taemin interrupted.

The intrusion shocked Minho and he looked over for a second. Taemin smirked.

“Yeah, even though I was trying to stop Key from getting us killed, doesn’t mean I wasn’t listening.”

Minho nodded.

“It’s as Taemin says.”

The Uncles furrowed their brows and leaned forward almost simultaneously.

“What is wrong with our saying?” Shindong asked.

“There’s nothing wrong with it,” Minho continued, “it’s not what he said, it’s how he said it. Before he brought it up, he said ‘as the saying once went,’ he talked about them in a passive voice.”

“So,” Kim glared.

“So,” Key interrupted this time, darting his eyes at his Aunt. He loved her, but this wasn’t the time to let her feelings get the best of her. It doesn’t matter if she’s okay with their current ordeal or not, they were all in this together. They could only trust one another. “What it seems like Minho and Onew are trying to say is that why talk about your fellow brethren in a passive voice if you’re all working together to grab the last Gumihos.”

The room went silent for a moment.

“You see,” Key egged on, “it’s a possibility.”

“Yes, but what would he gain out of killing them all,” Kim angered. “He already killed our people, what more is there to gain from killing the Elders. He doesn’t-“

“What.” Key intruded, “Doesn’t betray people? Because as I remember him saying, he betrayed you. You two were together? Oh, and you thought you could trust him? Because our people, the mighty Owls, and Foxes believed not one species was going to try and cause harm against the rest.”

Wow…that blew off his chest quicker and heavier than he realized. Perhaps it was anger he was holding in. But not just for his aunt, for the rest of his people who fell for the Cerberi’s tricks. At least…he could feel it in his chest. Like an anchor sitting on his ribcage. And that heaviness spread throughout the room. Taemin and Minho lowered their eyes and the Uncles adjusted their sitting positions. His aunt was taken aback. She held in a sharp breath.

When they locked eyes, there was something in hers. Regret. Sorrow. Disgust. And every feeling for herself. Blaming herself. Instantly…just like that, he realized that he cut something deep inside of her that she was trying to keep sealed. To keep herself together. And it was just like that, that he couldn’t believe what spilled out his mouth and how great it felt saying the words out loud, for everyone to hear.

“A-Aunt Kim, I’m sorry,” his voice went low and so did her eyes.

She started shaking her head.

“You’re right,” she spoke in a quiet voice, “no matter what or how I try to act, you are right. You sound like your mother.”

Key looked up.

Kim’s eyes stayed lowered.

“Kim, it’s not your fault,” Min-seo assured, but Kim just shook her head again.

“Min-seo, you know as well as I do that it’s exactly my fault,” she breathed slowly, “it’s been countless, countless years since that war and not a day goes by that it doesn’t feel like it happened yesterday. Every day that went by, every day that I lived, I heard the screams of our people—the Owls and the Foxes. And all because of my stupid mistake. I fell in love with a wolf, because they were new and we believed in an eternity of peace. And I believed that Donghae was different from the others.”

She sighed but continued.

“Of course, his name was different. All of our names were quite different back then. And his species, the Cerberi, they were rowdy. Unkempt. They were hunters through and through. They were different the way they thought and acted like the other Supernaturals and the Gumihos knew that there might be trouble with them, but we didn’t believe how deeply. And then Donghae came…and he was—no—he acted civil and peaceful. He swooped me up like the fool I was and told me about how he thought of our two species coming together. That the Cerberi only needed time to learn about our ways, that they would come around. We could stay a secret from the humans, protect our people together. That we were stronger together. And your mother—”

She chuckled to herself thinking about those late, late times with her dear sister.

“Your mother was adamant. She kept talking about how she was okay with me making friends with a wolf, but not falling in love with one. At least, not a species we knew nothing about. And I argued with her. Told her, ‘how are we ever going to get to know them if we don’t bring them to our celebrations, our meetings with the others,’ but every time she shook her head. She believed in peace like all the other Gumiho, but she was the only one who was quite smarter than the rest of us. She said she would come up with her own plan to keep them in order. I didn’t agree. Your father took my side because no one really wanted me to fall in love with a wolf— he was always trying to make it where we didn’t argue with one another—”

She laughed again.

“But I didn’t listen, and I continued to fall in love with that damn wolf.” She looked up sharply this time, stare locked in place with her nephew’s and he knew from the pointed gleam in her eyes that there was nothing but anger sinking into her pupils. “And you know where that got me Key? I showed him our hideouts, our meetings, where we slept. During those days we didn’t see the need to use our Paradise as you call it. No, instead, I made our people and Min-seo’s vulnerable and he told the humans how and when to get to us. And those Elders, those brethren of his; No, he didn’t tell them about what he was doing, but as soon as he did it, they followed along without hesitation and they helped slaughter our species.”

Tears began to stream down her eyes now.

“And that wolf, that Cerberi—he smiled at me during that slaughter as the humans stripped our souls  and the Elders took a piece of us before we completely withered away.”

She stood up abruptly.

“That’s why we don’t trust them, no matter how caring and understanding or vulnerable—” she looked at the four Cerberi in the room, “they may seem. They’re just as dangerous as Donghae. They’re just as untrustworthy. And if I would’ve listened to your mother all those centuries ago, we wouldn’t be in this situation we are now. You would still have parents, we would still have our people. But we don’t, and that’s on me.”

She stormed away.

Min-seo angled her attention at Key and stood up as well. She held an expression of apology on her face.

“I’ll go check on her,” she said quietly before leaving as well.

Onew’s father—who they all forgot was sitting there with his quiet onlooking glances—stood up as well and walked over to his son, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“I know I am no supernatural creature or what not, and I probably have no place to say this because I don’t know what you boys go through. But, just…be patient,” his eyes turned to Key, “the both of you.”

And he left as well—most likely to follow his wife.

Next to stand was Key. His lips thinned, and his arms crossed over. As much as he loved his aunt and appreciated her dear return, it was starting to paint a distracting and upsetting picture for the lot of them. If she didn’t get her anger in check, they weren’t going to get anything done…but then again, there was a lot just the four of them accomplished without the help of the adults.

“Well,” Key sighed, “what now?”

The Uncles stood up, swiping away at small dust bunnies linked to their clothes.

“Now,” Shindong announced, “we make sure the Hallasan wolves stay in place and I and Heechul try to figure out how to go about all of this.”

“What about us?” Taemin stood as well, brows furrowed.

“You all,” Heechul replied, “need to rest. We and the other adults will figure out what to do next.”

“Great good that’s done us,” Taemin retorted.

Heechul darted a stinging glare his way and the boy bowed his head in retreat.

“I apologize,” he whispered.

“As you should,” Heechul answered, “just because everything has happened the way it has, doesn’t mean your status nor ours have changed.”

“Excuse my intrusion,” Minho stepped up, “but wouldn’t it be better if we interrogate the Hallasan wolves. They were working for Donghae. They may know more than they’re letting on.”

“You’re not excused,” Shindong narrowed, “the Hallasan wolves are strong yes, but not smart enough to know when to keep secrets. They’ve told us all they know. They know enough to understand that if they didn’t, it would be utter betrayal and that, is not a mere outcast, let me assure you. So, there will be no further interrogation.”

“But-“

“Minho.” Shindong’s voice was stern and cold, his arms, laced behind his back.

“If the Hallasan wolves have anything further to say that they haven’t told us already,” Heechul stated, “it would most likely be a lie. They are untrustworthy.”

“Then I can scare them,” Key insisted.

Onew turned to his friend, joining the group of standing individuals and nodded.

“Key has a point, they would be scared of him. They’ve never encountered a Gumiho before.”

“The interrogation of the Hallasan wolves will not proceed,” Heechul repeated. “And that is our final word. It is true, neither I nor Shindong has a thorough plan for this. Something like this has never happened before. We will talk amongst one another with Kim and Min-seo.”

“You can’t even get two sentences out without my aunt trying to tear your throats out,” Key scoffed.

“We will find a way,” Shindong calmly answered back.

“I just think-“

“We’ll take Key and Onew out to our training grounds. The enclosed ones so that they can be better prepared for Donghae, and we’ll be safe,” Taemin interrupted.

The Uncles looked at one another but nodded.

“Fine,” Heechul answered, “as long as you stay inside the training grounds where the fence is enclosed.”

“Of course,” Taemin replied.

 

***

 

The training grounds, if Key were to compare them to everything else they’ve seen…was…well, unimpressive. Around the sidelines was a tall, extremely tall fence made out of pure bamboo turned sideways. He wondered how long it took them to do it—whoever did it, and if the effort was worth it. Or, how the hell they got it over here in the first place. This was the last place bamboo grew, so it had to be shipped in. But the actual training grounds, just a large circular field with tracks embedded in the ground with what seemed to be some sort of trough tool—or anything around those lines. In the middle was verdant grass freshly trimmed but nothing more, nothing less. Key kicked at some of the molded dirt mound.

“Why the tracks?” He asked, peering down. “I don’t really see a point. They’re not specially marked or anything?”

He looked back up at the group awaiting an answer. Taemin smirked.

“Those aren’t really training tracks. More of our footprints pushed into the ground from years of running around this thing,” he peered around at the field. “We don’t really use it as much as of late since me and Minho was going into our final training as Alphas. We use the actual forest now. These,” he kicked the dirt. A soft ‘swoosh’ sound accompanied it, “were child’s play. Meager training or a punishment when we got in trouble.”

“Yeah?” Onew chimed in. “Ever happen?”

“Recently than we wanted,” Minho answered with a dark, grim voice.

“Oh?” Key questioned.

Minho pointed to Key’s arm.

“When the Uncles thought we were responsible for your injury.”

“No, it was more because we transformed when we weren’t supposed to,” Taemin retorted.

“I thought the two of you couldn’t turn when your bands were on,” Onew said.

“We can’t,” Minho replied, “but we could that night. The Uncles were surprised and extremely worried but they punished us anyway because in the end, who we thought to be a human, was injured. And, worse comes to worse, it was most likely our fault. Who knew it would turn out to be an Elder of all things, seeking out revenge.”

He said the last part in a sort of retorted tone like Taemin would and though the quick snap at their unexpected circumstances was quite funny and made the small group chuckle, it was strange hearing it come from Minho. Hearing him joke in any fashion was always strange.

“Well!” Key sighed aloud, stretching his arms together in the air as if he were really gearing up to run, “I don’t plan to stay here. I want to interrogate those wolves, whether your Uncles like it or not.”

Taemin rolled his eyes.

“You might be surprised Key, but I actually knew you were going to say that. At least one of you,” his eyes switched between him and Onew.

Onew frowned up his lips and shrugged.

“Can’t say I wasn’t going to say it myself,” he smirked.

“You are suggesting that we break the Uncles orders?” Minho crossed his arms, brow lifted as he turned to Taemin.

“No, no, no. I know you’re having a mini-heart attack just thinking about. I understand you’ve broken more rules than you’re used to Minho. I was suggesting that they,” he gestured his hand out to the two, “go. I mean, the Uncles gave us orders and we must abide by them, but they didn’t say anything about Onew and Key. Plus, it wouldn’t matter if they did, these two aren’t in our Tribe.”

Minho nodded.

“You do pose a point.”

“Well,” Onew turned to his friend, “what do you say Key. Ready to go interrogate some wolves who’s had it coming for a while now. I was thinking you could scare them or what not. You know how to take those things out?”

He gestured towards Key’s balled up fist.

His friend smiled in return and raised a finger into the air. Slowly, his skin transformed as it did a night ago, turning a blood red around the tips and elongating into a sharp claw filled with obvious poison they learned could injure another creature.

“You’ll be surprised, but after completely transforming last night, I’ve learned a thing or two about control.”

 

Really hope you guys enjoyed the chapter as much as I loved writing it. The reason why I said earlier that there was a little more focus on this chapter, is because I really wanted Aunt Kim's past and her grievances to shine in the light. Really paint a spotlight on her distrust with the Cerberi and how there is a disconnect with the modern world of Cerberi and even her own nephew. Instead of this nephew who's super grateful to just have his aunt back, we now have this hesitant Key who's been through a lot without her and kind of became his own warrior or thinking. We even see this in Onew. Their backbones have grown and even Minho and Taemin, all four of them hold this content stance that they only trust one another, even though you see this struggle that they try to abide by and trust the adults but they've done so well on their own that, in an unspoken sense, they've made a Tribe of their own. 

ANYWAY, let me know what you guys think, characters...plot...setting. 

ALSO >> CHECK OUT THE POLL BELOW!