Chapter 18

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

🎂 It's my birthday guys! 🎂

🔥So, I'm giving you all an EXTREMELY long chapter update! I want to say a Happy New Year to everyone and I hope this new year brings in new experiences, skills, and stories to every single one of you guys!🔥

 

With Taemin’s offer on the table, Key had gotten up and hovered his hand over the small band. The tips of his finger touched the black material…but…that’s all he did. As if the act itself was poison, Key lifted his finger a second after and jolted it backward like a slinked slinky. Taemin rolled his eyes.

“I just thought about what Onew said. He’s right. I-I-I don’t want to be responsible.”

“Responsible my !” Taemin hollered. “Nothing’s going to happen.”

“Then why is Minho so quiet?”

Minho, in fact, was the most silent in the area at the moment. All eyes turned to him. He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

“I-m-uh…I’m just watching like you guys.” He stammered.

“See, prime example how dangerous this is.” Onew nodded.

Taemin wriggled his wrist in the air. His hand flopped from side to side.

“Oh just try it. You guys aren’t gonna trust us until you do. Until you’re sure that nothing’s going to happen.”

Key tapped his foot against the ground anxiously and bit his finger nail. The depths of his throat made a brassy humming sound of indifference.

“Onew, you do it.” He immediately replied.

“Me-“ But before the boy could object, Taemin clamped his hand around his wrist and pulled the boy forward, forcing Onew’s hand to muzzle down on his wrist.

He was now touching the black band.

Or was he?

The suddenly forced action made him stare into Taemin’s eyes for just a second. And in that second he saw dark round almond crystals from the glint created by the light. The eyelashes that cast shadows over the whites of his eyes. He felt how smooth and soft he was. His pale skin felt like dough in Onew’s grasp. It almost made him forget how much he didn’t trust him. But only for a minute. It was the softness of his skin that caught his attention. The band. It was almost non-existence. In curiosity, he glided his fingers across the top of the material and only felt Taemin’s skin in its place.

“What the hell.” He whispered.

Without warning Taemin jerked his hand back, copying the motions of Key earlier. His eyelids fluttered and he cleared his throat.

“See,” the words were raspy, “feels like my skin doesn’t it?”

“Does it?” Key asked, turning to his friend.

Onew raised his brows, still settling on the surprise.

“It does?” The statement came out more as a question. “That’s so weird. Here, let me touch it aga-“

But as he reached out, Taemin moved back.

“No.” He snapped. “Now you guys know.”

He placed his arm down to his side. A breath of relief washed through Minho and his shoulders slouched a bit after standing stiff for so long.

“Well,” Key sighed out, “since that’s over with, I did have a question for you guys. It’s been bothering me since we walked in the woods.”

He tilted his head up towards the ceiling of the cave and caught sight of the shimmering shades of gold dust that gathered on the small sharp edges. There was a unanimous hollow to this large surrounding; a rancid stench of metallic that stuck to the inside of the nostrils. He wondered if the two werewolves smelled what he did, but abiding by their neutral expressions, obviously not. The pungent aroma had to be coming from the rocks. Hidden underneath it, there was an apparent smell of moist dirt. But it wasn’t the woodsy fragrance that caught his attention, it was the silence that came with it. He furrowed his brows.

“You hear that?” He asked.

There was an unclear response. The three boys looked at one another, then at Key.

“Key, what the hell are you talking about?” Onew blurted out.

“Exactly.” He answered. “There’s nothing. No birds chirping, no crickets cricking. Isn’t that weird?”

He turned to the three of them. Minho and Taemin exchanged looks.

“You two know something,” Key went on, “It’s your woods after all. I mean, the simple fact that its woods should say something. Woods aren’t this quiet. And I hate to add to the horror movie vibe I’m getting from all this but-“

“The weather.” Onew realized.

He turned towards the light that shined through into the cave.

Key waved a hand towards his friend, nodding his head.

“Yes, exactly. The weather. I mean being foggy is one thing, but cold on a sunny, supposedly clear day? I mean, I’ve heard of Fall coming early, but it’s July.”

Onew wiggled his finger in the air and added on to Key’s statement.

“And how does sunlight enter in a cave when the sky is as cloudy as it is today?”

His mouth sat wide open in a hollow ‘O’ shape.

“Hopefully the humans won’t realize the change as much as you two do.” Taemin rolled his eyes.

Key and Onew changed their attentions back on the werewolves. Did they seem indifferent and nervous? Like something was amiss.

“We’re hoping that the weather slowly goes back to the way it’s supposed to be, but the woods have been doing this ever since….” Minho’s voice trailed off, diverting his attention away from Key and looking towards a wall of copper stone instead.

“Ever since…..” Onew waved his hand in a circular motion.

“Since Key stepped into the forest. Whatever the hell you are, you’re affecting the things in our woods along with the weather apparently now. Or,” Taemin eyed Onew up and down, “it could be the both of you being here at the same time. Never’s been this quiet.”

“So now we’re affecting the weather.” Onew rolled his eyes.

“That’s why we said you’ll need all the help you can get.” Taemin snapped. “Tribeless are dangerous. That’s what we’re taught as infants and that’s why they haven’t been.”

“Well then, if they ‘haven’t been,’” Key squinted fingers in the air, making quotation marks, “then how are you two sure it’s us being Tribeless?”

“He’s got a point.” Onew nodded, smiling at his friend with confidence.

“Because,” Minho stepped into the large circle their four bodies made, “just like you two right now, supernatural beings can sense when things are amiss, and right now…” He shook his head, “ain’t looking normal. At least, to our standards.”

“Humans are slower with their observations,” Taemin persisted, “so it’s easier for us to fix things if they're broken.”

“Nature can’t be broken.” Key chuckled.

“But it can be altered.” Onew murmured, tapping his finger against his bottom lip.

“He’s right.” Minho agreed. “And when a supernatural being alters nature in any way, or the natural order, the Elders have to get involved.”

“The Elders? You guys brought them up before. When we were at your house the other day. Who are they?” Key asked.

Minho stretched, a low-pitched grunt emerging from his throat. He looked around, found a boulder and sat down. Taemin did the same.

“There’s definitely a lot we have to tell you guys. Where’d we start.”

“Perhaps starting at the basics?” Taemin suggested. He gestured his hand towards Minho. “You’re better at communicating informational crap, so why don’t you start off by telling them the basics of our world. Or maybe about us?”

The two best friends sat in quiet on their boulders next to one another, too secretly eager to hear whatever it was they needed to, to offer any suggestions that they themselves had in mind. Minho’s left foot started making low rhythmic taps against the ground before he finally nodded to himself and looked at the rest of the group.

“Ok.” He responded in a low-pitched voice. 

“As far as the animal kingdom in the supernatural world is concerned, the Cerberi are the somewhat leaders. More of, we have the most knowledge of the earth at our fingertips because of our ancestry. Besides that minor detail, our species try to stay equal with one another; a trait that eludes the human world. The others simply call us the leaders because of the knowledge of the land we hold and if someone should ever need our help, we are quite strong because of our size. I’ve heard tale of others before us, but they’re just tales, nothing more. Throughout the world, there are Cerberi protecting woods from human destruction but mostly for a home and for history. Extremely large woods like the one we’re in now, require more families to watch over certain sections. Our two families,” he said gesturing towards Taemin, “are bounded by pack and bond which means that when one family is in trouble, the other comes and helps, no matter the situation. If we should ever be in battle, our minds and our instincts would connect automatically. It’s like having a full moon to guide a lone wolf, like Taemin told you, but with your pack and on a battle field. Because we have this sacred bond, it is a rule that neither family can have intimate relationships with the other.”

“But wouldn’t having that intimate relationship like marriage or something, only grow the bond?” Key asked.

Minho shook his head.

“Cerberi packs don’t force relationships onto one another. Having a rule against it for two bounded packs keeps emotional ties from getting in the way of protecting the forest together. The Elders believe if we were to marry one another, our emotions, while we are protecting the forest together, would cloud incidents of human destruction or suspicions that we have to look out for.”

“So, only Cerberi families that share a forest are bound by pack and bond,” Onew stated.

“Exactly. Protection of nature overcomes emotional ties.”

“So, what about leaders of these packs,” Key went on, “how do you decide on that?”

“Pack leaders are chosen at birth under the light of the moon, no matter what gender. When a cub is born, it’s taken outside under the moonlight by either a pack leader or an Elder. Cerberi actually love to celebrate the births of our cubs. We dance and we sing and we feast, then either the pack leader or the Elder comes out with the child and places them under the night sky, asking nature to protect them. Ones who are meant to become pack leaders or Alphas, grow a mark on their back on the same night. The placement of the mark symbolizes the cub has a strong back and a strong backbone can carry any burden, any victory, any strife for their pack. And for every born cub, when we come of age to experience our first transformation, a pack leader goes and runs the woods with us, but after that night, we receive the band until we become of age to actually control our wolves better. They would have matured with us by then.”

“Wooooow.” Both the boys enamored.

Taemin was even somewhat startled when he witnessed how engaged Onew was in the story. A small smirk etched across his face without him knowing.

“Has there ever been two children in one pack that have the mark?” Onew intrigued.

“Actually yes. It’s happened before and it’s happening now. When that happens, one child is chosen to stay with the pack they were born into once their age for leadership is reached and the other child must find another pack in need of support. Sometimes that means packs that have alphas who are too old to lead, not having a younger alpha to take over or sometimes that means taking over for an alpha who simply wants to step down. Fortunately, Cerberi are reasonable creatures and handing over leadership is quite simple to us because, as I told you two, in the supernatural animal kingdom, we like to be equal in some sense.” He paused, smiling and nodding his head.

“So sometimes an alpha isn’t born into a pack to take over?” Key asked.

Minho arched his lip up in indifference, then shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s rare, but the Uncles have told us of this happening before. Usually when this happens, the second alpha born into the pack has found a mate who is also an alpha but will step down to let them take over. That’s what’s currently going on with our two families. Me and my cousin Hyunah were both born with our marks. As we belong to the same pack, one of us would have been asked to search for a pack in need. At first, I decided to leave when I came of age, but Hyunah has found her mate in another pack and wishes to marry him. Her mate has decided to step down as Alpha and let her take over. Hyunah is a strong-willed individual after all.”

“And Amber,” Taemin announced, changing the focus to himself, “is my cousin. She and I were born on the same day and received the mark as well. We too, belong to the same pack. I had no thought of leaving this pack when I became of age, but she is a soul searcher, prior to popular belief. But she, too, has found a mate in another pack who is willing to step down for her though her becoming an alpha or not didn’t seem to matter to her. After all, if there are no packs in need, we can choose not to take an alpha position. I mean, the marks will still be there, but like Minho said, we are negotiable creatures, we do not wish to always fight. Though, our alphas we do have are powerful and authoritative. Like our Uncles. You never cross an Alpha.”

“Have there ever been a pack of Alphas before!” Key excited, raising his hand into the air like a school child.

Both Minho and Taemin scrunched up their faces.

“I mean, I think I’ve heard of the Uncles mentioning it before,” Taemin murmured.

“But I don’t remember if it was a tale or an actual event,” Minho added. “Either way, not sure how that would work. We are negotiable creatures, but all that leadership in one pack?”

“So, you two are the next pack leaders,” Onew stated. “That’s why you were so adamant to the idea of  making up with us?”

His voice was apprehensive.

“Well….,” Taemin sighed, leaning his head to the side and making a face, “since we’re being honest here, it’s part of the reason. We have to show we’re ready for the position we’ll be getting. Even though we have the mark, the Elders can decide if we’re ready or not. That, and being Tribeless is dangerous.”

“The Elders, the Elders,” Key rolled his eyes, flailing his arms, “all you two ever mention are the Elders. What’s so special about them anyway?”

There was silence for a second.

“The Elders, are somewhat difficult to talk about,” Minho sulked, “I’ve heard they’ve lived through every event on earth.”

“I’ve heard one is chosen every hundred years,” Taemin added.

“So, neither one of you know who these dudes are,” Onew stated in a mutual tone.

“No, that’s not true,” Minho replied, “we do know that they don’t age. We learn that the Elders decide to age when they know their time has come. We also learn that it’s really hard for an enemy to kill them and they do hold great historical knowledge with their lives.”

“So, they’re old, wise, and unbeatable.” Onew listed off with each finger on his right hand. “Yeah, that’s definitely a lot of information you two got going on there.”

“Onew.” Key whined, partially stomping a foot on the ground which showed little intimidation seeing as they were all seated.

As much as Minho and Taemin wanted to argue the boy’s point, that was just it. He had a point. A good one at that. All they knew were to respect the Elders to the highest honor and no one has ever questioned that order. The Elders had always made sure the Cerberi, along with the rest of the supernatural world were taken care of. That harm was rarely seen. But with outsider logic hitting their ears, they’d never thought about how little information they actually had about their highest leaders.

Could this be the reason Minho felt a pang of doubt in his heart when he’d talked to Donghae after grabbing him in the hall? He’d said the Elders had sent him. Even when his older cousin had said such a thing, there was no comfort behind the words. Minho still held his suspicions.  But what would the Elders think if they knew there were two Tribeless just walking about and neither he nor Taemin had said a thing about helping them to their Uncles? Minho’s heart started to wrinkle just a bit at the sting of all these questions spurring up in his mind. A lump sat in his throat.

Taemin caught heed of the man’s silence and was sure Key and Onew did as well. His mind, however, was rather bleak about the situation. Of course, there were questions about the Elders now, but he had always been a rebel in a sense of authority. At times, he wondered why a mark of the Alpha was given to him as a baby to begin with. The thought of leading was refreshing, but deep down there was that meager want of freedom that he lurched for, knowing it wouldn’t come with the alpha package.

Apparently, haven struck a loose cord, Onew cleared his throat to dissipate the silence.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, “I didn’t mean to say something against you guys’ way of life or anything.”

Taemin shrugged but Minho stood up, straightening his leg like a tall-standing pole. His hands, harshly swept against the fabric of his jeans ridding off non-existent dust on the surface.

“You two should be heading home. I’m not sure what you’ve told your parents but, whatever lie it is, it’s probably loss its time slot by now.” He announced.

Key and Onew looked at one another and as if having the same actions in mind, they stood up as well, then Taemin did the same.

“He’s right.” Key established, “But before we all go our separate ways, I was wondering about something else.”

The two werewolves shared their attention.

“Do either of you have at least a clue as in knowing what me and Onew might be?”

It was a question that caught even Onew himself off guard; what with all the talking and sharing of the new world at their feet, he’d completely forgotten that the two of them were supposed to be some kinds of creatures; that still seemed debatable in his own mind. He wasn’t sure if it was because they always looked that way or because they were questioning themselves, but the expressions on Minho and Taemin’s face made him believe, that they too held some kind of shadow of a doubt. More of Onew than Key. No one could deny vines and flowers emerging from the ground with their own eyes after all.

“No.” Taemin shrugged. “I don’t know any creatures off the top of my head that could do what you do Key. As for Onew, there are plenty of four-legged creatures in our world that can outrun us. He could be one of them.”

“A four-legged creature?” Onew scoffed, “wouldn’t I have ascended or something by now if that were the case?”

Though the terminology he used was to mock their words, the boys thought about how accurate his statement actually was.

“So, we’re back at square one,” Minho assured, “nothing wrong with that. I’m sure we could figure something out. Maybe you could show us how you did it next time.”

“How will we start to meet?” Onew asked, “I mean, we all agreed to keep this a secret.”

“I say we still act the way we were in school,” Taemin implied, “just so other students won’t go blabbing to their parents, who’d start talking to ours. Perhaps after school on Fridays and on the weekends. If something urgent comes up, we can meet behind the school when classes are over.”

“Sounds like a good idea.” Key nodded.

“Then it’s settled,” Minho agreed.

****

For some odd reason, the entire walk home, Key’s mind kept wondering around the historical story they’d just been told about the world they were now apart of. The realization hit him only now and he staggered at the thought at what he might be. A bird? If it was possible. A cat? A tiger? A…A…

“I see how excited you are.” Onew chimed in.

He didn’t sound amused at all, but rather annoyed.

“I don’t know why you’re so excited about this.” He continued.

“Oh really Onew, you’re telling me you’re just not the least bit curious about what you might be?”

“I feel as though I still be human.” He retorted. “Maybe I was just lucky when running. Maybe it was an off-day for the werewolves.”

“I doubt that,” he laughed, “Really? An off day for a werewolf? Never heard of such a thing.”

“You never heard of a real live werewolf, to begin with.”

Key grimaced.

“Either way, I think this is great. I always thought my life was just a little boring. Plus, I always loved taking pictures of nature. It’s a little amazing to know we’re apart of it in some intimate way.”

“Is that how you look at it?” Onew cracked.

“Then how do you see it?”

“I see it as, there’s a secret my parents aren’t telling me if I really am something else.” His eyes strayed towards the front of them, keeping heed to the traffic constantly changing in the streets and the noise of nature that finally filled the sky, contrary to the silent prison they sat in, in the forest.

And now that he thought about it, the weather had become a little warmer since leaving. Perhaps Taemin and Minho were wrong about odd things happening. Perhaps the weather just needed a little more time to pick itself up. Even the clouds were starting to dissipate a bit. He didn’t realize how quiet Key had become over the course of his thinking. His hair, flopping over his forehead, Key looked down at the ground as they walked. Stared, is more like it. His enthusiasm had left that quickly and immediately a sting of guilt hit Onew’s throat before he was able to speak again.

“Sorry, Key, I didn’t mean to ruin the mood. Seems like I always do that.”

Key shook his head but said nothing else.

Onew, in fact, had brought up an excellent point. If they were what they were, what about his aunt as well? Was she too, a creature of the supernatural world? And what about her promise she was supposed to keep? Would she tell him? By the time they arrived back at Onew’s place, after sighing in a bit of relief seeing as his mother wasn’t home and his father was still stuck deep in paperwork, Key had decided that when he did go home, he would finally have to confront his aunt about the truth surrounding that night and stop letting her beat around the bush because he was sick and tired of keeping such a huge secret from his best friend.