Chapter 25

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

đŸš«Once again, sorry about the wait guys. I had this chapter ready but no time to edit and I'm a stickler for editing. But I finally got some time. But I will say this, I have some art and writing showcases coming up that I have to set up for, only with some final projects, so the next chapter might be late as well. Again, sorry about that, but once the semester is over, I'll be able to invest more time in the chapters for this story because I really love it so far. đŸš«

 

He gazed out the side of the window, capturing the wisping clouds that floated by, or rather, they zoomed through. Minho looked around at the plane they sat in; his family and Taemin’s. Neither one of them were told anything since they left school. They were only told that it was urgent. Their flight to who knows where was calming for him; seeing the skies and watching as they zoomed by the clouds. The two families shared a plane and while whatever they were doing seemed as if it was going to be important, neither Amber nor Hyunah were there with them, which was odd. The plane was spacious, though, with cream colored cushions and any accommodations they would need. A nice change of scenery from their rather vibrant green surroundings.

The modern couches were connected on either side and made an elongated ‘U’ in the middle of the floor. A small oblique coffee table sat directly in the middle, accenting the velvety gray carpeting that laid underneath their feet. The sides of the walls glistened like marble with a burnished hue and small circular lights aligned the ceiling, stretching all the way to the front and back of the plane. Minho and Taemin sat on vast opposite sides, all except Shindong and Heechul. They sat opposite the two couches that faced one another, smirking whenever the other said something. Neither Minho nor Taemin and their crew could hear what they were saying and to be honest, they wanted to keep it that way. Minho especially, which was why he chose a seat that made his back face them.

Taemin had Kai to keep him company while Minho had Donghae. And that was a wonder in itself. Why Donghae sat in the same section he did, baffled him. Minho knew, that he knew the boy was suspicious of him. He had to, but somehow, he still seemed complacent nonetheless.  

He eyed his cousin every couple of minutes but the man didn’t seem to pay a mind what so ever. In that, he pursed his lips. No reaction? At all? His cousin had secrets, secrets that he was going to find out no matter what it took. Onew had said something important with the last meeting they’d had, something that lingered in his mind no matter how much he tried to push it away.

 “So, neither one of you know who these dudes are.”

The Elders. Minho had said it wasn’t true, but even he felt his words faltering a bit when it came out of his mouth. Now, it was all he could think about when staring at Donghae. What had the Elders told him to do? Why was he here? So many questions, but answers he knew his cousin was going to keep sealed no matter the cost. He was dedicated like that. But
so was Minho
once. Now ever since finding the two Tribeless, he’s been questioning everything around him, especially those that appeared to stay hush-hush. And that was the Uncles and his cousin. There was no way they didn’t know why Donghae was here, after all. He crossed his arms and grimaced while eyeing the small muscular man across from him. Taking in his form.

“Burn holes into my skin why don’t ya.” Donghae sighed, but his expression said anything but.

He leaned on his hand and looked out the side of the window.

“Why did you sit over here?”

“I like the air over here.” He shrugged.

 

 

“Bull,” Minho whispered, then realized just how much he was starting to sound like Taemin.

Donghae noticed, lifting his posture and brow in curiosity.

“Bull?” He repeated. “Not a word to just come out of you.”

“Well, I guess that’s what happens when you keep secrets from family.”

At that, Donghae lowered his eyes, gazing back out the window to avoid contact.

“I cannot control what the Elders ask me to do Minho. You know that better than any of us. You’re the most dedicated after all.”

I was, he echoed in his mind. He wasn’t sure what status he was on with his family. Even now, they sat in a secret. Riding on an airplane to god knows where to do god knows what.

“Why did you sit next to me?” He went on.

Donghae sighed and stood up.

“Because Minho, I like the atmosphere.”

He began to walk away but the boy grabbed hold of his cousin’s arm, glancing behind himself to see if anyone noticed.

“If you don’t want Taemin to notice,” Donghae commented, “then I suggest you get your hand off of me.”

“I still don’t know what the hell you’re doing here.” He whispered.

His older cousin bent down slightly. Just enough for his words to usher out as a whisper but meet Minho’s ears so that no one else could hear.

“You don’t, do you.”

It was a statement rather than a question. A statement he walked off with and joined the Uncles. Minho watched as he walked away, turning his head around ever so slightly until he saw the Uncles attention turn towards his direction. In a swift motion, he went back to facing the window, watching the endless clouds wisp across below them.

 

The man sat down next to his cousin, Shindong, gazing back over at Minho for a mere second. The boy had turned back around, leaning his head near the window again.

“He’s growing more suspicious.” He commented, looking at the both of them.

The smiles that were radiant on their faces before Donghae joined them swiftly vanished. Their expressions grew stern. Shindong crossed his arms.

“How suspicious?” He asked.

“Like, to the point where he’s starting to sound like Taemin a bit.”

Heechul adjusted the posture of his legs. His eyes narrowed and his lips thinned out, holding tight.

“Even I think that’s a concern.” He stated.

“Exactly. With this kind of determination, he’s not going to let it go. Are we sure we want to keep these Tribeless from the Elders? If Minho tells Taemin anything about his suspicions towards me which, by the way, he was eyeing him doesn’t look as though he’s said much, we’re going to have a debacle on our hands.”

Shindong shook his head.

“I agree. Minho’s lingering might cause a bit of a problem but he’d never tell Taemin in their current situation.”

“And why do you think that?” Donghae asked.

“Because no matter how curious he is, he’s just too loyal. He’ll keep his lips closed if they plan on staying friends with the Tribeless. They already don’t trust us, that Key and Onew boy. Minho won’t risk Taemin accidently blabbing his mouth to the other two about his suspicion towards you. No offense Heechul.”

“None taken.” The man waved his hand away.

Donghae thinned his lips out, leaning in closer and enclosing the space between them.

“And you’re just going to assume that they’re friends with the Tribeless?” He questioned.

Heechul smiled and leaned back.

“You are a good pack member Donghae, but all too small minded. Of course, they are. Attempting to distract us with Kai. Anyone could see through that. The only reason they would do such a thing is if they wanted to get to know the two boys themselves, without our interference.”

“That, or they’re hiding something.” Donghae frowned, leaning back in his seat. “They could be trying to listen in on us right now.”

Shindong shook his head once again.

“There is a reason this is called a ‘private’ plan Donghae.” He nodded. “They Elders muted our abilities in here.”

“Muted our abilities? Is that even possible unless there is a band on our wrists?”

“Tell me, when you were sitting over there with Minho, did you hear anything either me or Heechul were saying to one another?”

Donghae sat there for a moment. Speechless. His finger hovered in the air as if words were attempting to come out of his mouth but instead there was a small tiny sound.

“No.” He answered. “But I assumed it was simply because-“

“The Elders informed us when sending the plane,” Heechul commented. “It is a magical ward, they said. Muting our abilities to give us a bit of fresh air before the boys have to get on with their mission.”

“But, why would the Elders use magic for a simple trip like this?”

Shindong shook his head, a signal for Donghae to stop his words rather than a shake of I-don’t-know.

“We cannot question what the Elders do. After all, this will be a big event for the boys. We have to tell them about the new situation when we get there anyway.”

“Seems odd coming from the man who told me to keep the Tribeless secret.” He retorted.

Donghae crossed his arms across his chest and switched his gaze between the two men. They were older than him, yes, but he was still an adult. Still a grown Beta. Sometimes they treated him otherwise. As if he were the same age as Minho and Taemin. Perhaps not the same ranking—especially when the boys became of age—but nonetheless. Sometimes their actions made absolutely no sense to him. Don’t question the Elders—like Donghae would ever do a thing such as that—but keep the Tribeless a secret from them. He motioned his hands towards the two.

“Then you two are going to have to choose a struggle. Either you want me to hide a small amount of information away from the Elders—which is dangerous territory you guys are having me sit in—or, you want me to stand by the rules. I am here because of them after all. And, as you said Heechul, I am a Cerberi of my duty. You two might be a bit older and higher ranking than me, but that doesn’t mean your authority overrules the rights of our packs. Rights that we have followed for generations.” There was a hard stance in his voice. Determined and righteous, as if, for once, he’d said something that a leader should; an aspect that often times bothered him. That he was never leader material.

The two Uncles grew silent after that, sending each other looks like some form of hidden language.

“I need you guys’ words, not eye signals.” Donghae huffed.

This time, it was Heechul who grimaced.

“We feel as though things will spiral out of hand if we were to tell the Elders about the Tribeless,” he stated. “After all, these instances are rare. Our order would become undone, especially since the two boys are technically living in our territory.”

“What Heechul is saying, is that it’s unprecedented.”

“I know what he’s saying.” He scoffed. “But that still doesn’t fully answer my proposal. I gave you guys two. Which one do you choose? And I want a clear and concise answer, not more proposals.”

Shindong shifted uncomfortably in his seat, writhing his hands against the cushions as he thought. He and Heechul didn’t trade eye glances this time.

“Fine.” He answered. “I agree on the matter that we don’t tell the Elders about the Tribeless. At least not until we’ve found out more information about them. And as a comprise of this withholding of information, I’ll inform you that the Elders had this airplane muted for the sake of information falling into the boys’ hands. We might have needed to have a serious talk about what they are going to meet when we land, and the Elders didn’t want either future Alphas to hear about that. The whole point of this trip is to expect the unexpected.”

His younger cousin nodded his head.

“And what makes you think that Minho and Taemin are going to say anything about hiding a friendship with the Tribeless?” Donghae snickered, rolling his eyes a bit as he glanced back over to the back of Minho’s head.

“They won’t really have a choice,” Heechul began, “especially with their new mission. The answers will just come spilling out.”

He leered his eyes over towards Taemin and Kai, lingering at the two boys who slumped down in their seats, their bodies embedded into the cushions and its coziness. Then his eyes glazed over to Minho, content in his posture, gaze lingering at the floating clouds.

 

****

They had landed at an open area platform created just for a small private plane, a platform that they were long gone away from. Taemin took in the scenery that surrounded the two families. He’d noticed from the plane before they landed, the vast trees and subtle mountains. Thick, curly clouds floated over the tops of their heads, masking the sky against the sun in a violet hue. It was the afternoon, or so he guessed by the colored sky. Now, his head tilted above him as the others walked away, following a trail that he knew was meant for human visitors. Only, there were none. Humans were not permitted to walk this trail at night. And by the deepening purple, it was definitely getting close.

This area was quite different from their small-town home. The forest, for one, was massive, integrating various animal species and long, thick bushes of leaves masking more leaves into a dark heavy depth of bristling plants. He remembered seeing this area at school from other human students who’d been here. He knew where they were, though why it was a secret to their coming, that still escaped him. The violet-orange hue that masked the skies and washed over the clouds did the same for the leaves, a mixture that reminded him of a fresh watermelon in season. It reminded him of home. And for a second, the touch of Onew’s fingers touching his wrist to see how the band embedded in his skin flashed across his mind.

He blinked feverously, shaking his head a bit. The follicles of his hairs wisped against and across his forehead.

“Come on Taemin!” Heechul yelled from ahead.

The boy adjusted his focus, realizing just how far he’d spaced out. The two families were way ahead of him. All except Minho, who appeared to lag a bit; a sweet distance that made him not too far away from the family, but not too close either. He stared at Taemin with peering dark eyes, an eyebrow lifting and his stance questioning Taemin’s lag in the group walk.

 

 

“Sorry,” Taemin replied, though a bit delayed.

Heechul sighed and rolled his eyes, turning back around to Shindong as they continued to walk ahead. Even Kai was keeping heed to them, standing next to Donghae who stayed quiet and kept his attention ahead of them. They were turning a different turn. A turn not permitted by humans, but then again, they weren’t humans. Taemin quickened his footsteps, eventually catching up to pace with Minho.

“You know where we are, don’t you?” He asked once he caught up.

Minho shrugged his shoulders, otherwise preoccupied with his own thoughts.

“We’re in Hallasan or known to some as Halla Mountain. Though,” Taemin stopped and looked around at the thickness of the woods again, “in a different part of it than permitted by humans. I wondered why we’ve never been here before.”

“And how are you sure we’re in Hallasan?”

That was a point. No matter how popular this area was to other people, the boys had barely ever left their home near the Forest. It was just too important for them to stay close by, or so they were told. He started walking again, running back up to Minho when he realized the man had kept going. Their deep footsteps created crunching sounds against fallen leaves that thickly painted the forest floor.

“I’ve seen pictures from the students at school. The ones that’ve been here before. I remember. I wonder who lives here that we’re taking a different path.”

Again, Minho shrugged.

Taemin sighed and stopped, firmly swinging Minho’s body at attention towards him by gripping onto his shoulders. Ever since they’re mini blowout out in the woods, the man has been nothing but mute or small gestures to show that he was paying attention. It was frustrating, and to be honest, rather annoying.

“Minho, what’s up with you? Aren’t you curious where we’re going?”

“To be honest,” Minho sighed, “not really.”

Taemin grimaced.

“That’s disappointing. Usually, I’m the one that doesn’t give a damn.”

“Well,” he sighed again, “I guess the roles are reversed today.”

Taemin rolled his eyes.

“Anyway, I think this has something to do with the Elders. I mean, the Uncles won’t say anything of course, but this definitely smells like Elder stuff. If it is, why are they giving us this much attention? You know. First, withholding our Alpha titles until were ‘ready,’ now this? Now, I’m really curious as to know who we’re going to meet.”

“It’s not bothering you.” Minho suddenly said, moving his feet to catch up with the family members.

Taemin mimicked his movements so that he didn’t receive another yelling at from Heechul. Though they were some ways behind, neither of the Uncles complained and instead, kept heed to their steps.

“What? Is what bothering me?”

“I don’t know,” the boy sighed again.

The setting sun played off of the dark tendrils of Minho’s hair, creating a weird, but almost captivating iridescent coffee glow. Taemin stared, awaiting an answer.

“Are you talking about the you-know-who, doing you-know-what?” Taemin asked, looking ahead of them at their Uncles, the same Uncles that didn’t seem to pay attention to their conversation at all, no matter how much super hearing they had.

Instead, they seemed enchanted in their own conversation with one another. Neither Taemin nor Minho bothered to use their super hearing to hear that. But, Minho knew that Taemin was referring to Onew and Key asking Luna about the stories of the Forest. He shook his head.

“No, not that. Well,” the muscular man paused in mid-sentence, “I guess that does bother me a bit. Not sure what happened when we left the cafeteria. Actually,”

Minho looked up at their crew far ahead of them as well.

“Maybe we should talk about this another time.”

He feared that something they said they were going to keep secret to each other, would slip out. He ended with that sentence and quickened his footsteps. Taemin didn’t argue, knowing where he was going. He too, feared that the Uncles might be listening just a bit and instead of arguing Minho’s point, caught up with him.

“I wonder how many days we’re gonna have to stay here.” He said to himself aloud through the bristling of the thick grass beneath them.

“Me too.” He heard Minho mumble under his breath.