Chapter 16

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

Trying to get all my details together but working on the next chapter, so don't worry, I will be busy for this winter break lol.

 

The street was quiet as they walked. The lights provided a trail of comfort. The air had gotten colder. Their steps were the only source of sound. Key crossed his arms over his chest and hugged his body in an attempt to keep his skin warm while they moved. Onew paid no mind, looking forward as if there was nothing left to say.

The silence was awkward.

A couple of times, Key attempted to open his mouth and speak, but just as his lips would move, he’d think otherwise and close them.

This was how things went for the rest of the way.

 

When the two had gotten back, the two had to thoroughly explain their lie over again to his parents. With little heart, they accepted it, and both he and Key went into his room to get ready for bed. Just like outside, their footsteps were silent. They barely made eye contact with one another while Onew flapped his sheets and made room for Key to sleep.

“I can sleep on the floor.” Key’s voice was small, like a child whimpering from being shouted at by their parents.

Onew scoffed, and steadily fixed the cover, fluffing the pillows and making sure the two of them had an even amount of room. Key looked around. It had been a while since he spent time in Onew’s room; before all this crazy supernatural stuff happened.

His room was quite spacious, everything a well-off person would want, but not something Onew ever gloated about. He never gloated about the money his parents had. The wall where the bed lay was long and white with a singular horizontal painting Key assumed Onew’s parents added as a touch a flare because the subtle gray abstract didn’t seem to be his friend’s type. His bed had two long connected end tables with a wooden base with simple sheets that were only black, gray, and white. Sitting in front of the bed were two modern chairs and a small coffee table that had various post-it notes scattered around its edges. From the wall in front of them sat a small flat screen t.v. with accented décor around it. The tiling on his floor was a simple ivory too, matching not only his walls but his tall dresser that hid in the corner of his room. Even the door to his bathroom was large, made from sliding frosted glass.

“Onew, I could-“

“Why would I make you sleep on the floor.” He sighed out, then pulled his shirt off. “I’ll be right back, going to go take a shower.”

“Alright.”

He watched his friend disappear behind the frosted glass and turn into nothing but a small blur. It wasn’t loud nor harsh, but the way Onew maneuvered over and closed the door without looking back made Key feel ill.

“I guess I’ll take a shower in the morning.” He whispered to himself, grabbing a t-shirt from his belongings and switching it with the clothes he had on. He found some light jogging pants and slipped those on as well, then comfortably made his way into the bed.

It was never odd sharing a bed with Onew. For as long as he knew, they’d been best friends. They shared everything. And now…And now, look at the two of them. Key was keeping a huge secret, Onew was bothered, they both were into a world neither knew existed, and this bed couldn’t be more uncomfortable to share with right now. He pulled the cover up to his lips like a small baby afraid of the dark—his breathing slow and heavy as he thought over the day’s events. It was obvious Taemin and Kai didn’t believe their story…he wasn’t so sure about Minho though. Whatever that man was thinking, he had a good poker face. But why then, had he pushed them away so fast out of the woods…why had he glared at Taemin like he knew something everyone else didn’t? And what if, after all of this, Onew was right, and none of them should’ve been trusted? The more he thought about the situation, the more he feared that was the case.

“It could’ve been one of them after all.” He mumbled, thinking back on the night of the attack.

Why wasn’t he more of afraid of that possibility?

“Been one of them that what?” Came Onew’s voice.

The boy was so deep into his thoughts, he hadn’t heard the door open. Onew stood there with a towel over his head, harshly rubbing it against his damp hair. Key watched. For doing little to nothing as it pertained to exercising, Onew had a nice figure. Lean body but nothing like Minho and Taemin. His was subtle, apart from his finely structured abs that weren’t too strong to intimidate yet also not too baby-like. His biceps flexed as he reached up towards his head and his body leaned a little as he stood as if he were a model posing for the next picture. It was quite a difference from Minho’s military stature or Taemin’s slender prominence. Key’s own body was the opposite of all three. He had a slender figure, but it curved towards the middle like a female’s body and was smooth with the exception of two small abs that only made themselves visible when he stretched. Other than that, he had a babydoll body with little to no muscles that could show themselves in his arms.

Onew shook his head some more than placed the towel on the doorknob of his bathroom door.

“You can go take a shower now if you want.” He said, still shaking some strands of hair from his face.

“I’m fine. I’m going to take mines in the morning. Too tired.”

Onew shrugged.

“Alright.” His hip cocked to the side as he searched for his comb. He found it on the corner of his end table.

The silence between them started all over again like a repetitive tape while Onew combed the knots out of his hair. Key couldn’t take it anymore. He abruptly sat up, pouting his lips.

“Are you upset with me?” He wasn’t loud, but his voice was demanding and agitated.

Onew stopped what he was doing and looked up, arching his eyebrow.

“Key, what the hell are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about you.” He scooted up some more.

“Why would I be upset with you right now?”

“I-I-“ He couldn’t think of an answer. “Then why were you so damn quiet while we were walking back.”

“Because I was thinking.”

“Y-You…You were thinking?”

“Uh, duh.”

Onew pursed his lips, then walked back into the bathroom for a short while before coming back out with his hair wrapped up in a man bun. He forgot to put a shirt back on and instead immediately got into the bed, sitting on top of the sheets. His voice grew lower.

“We got two strange weirdos and their weird uncles trying to recruit us for a supernatural cult. Minho, Kai, and especially Taemin don’t look like they want anything to do with us and frankly, I don’t trust any of them. Of course, I was thinking.”

“Oh,” was all Key could get out.

“Yes, oh, Key. I also don’t like how Minho rushed us away, whether you agree with me or not.”

“I agree.” He quickly responded.

Onew lifted his brow again.

“Apparently it’s the first thing we agree on tonight.”

“Yeah.” Key sighed.

They turned around to one another at the same time, eye’s locking, the light above the ceiling highlighting the bed covers, the shadows of their bodies casting over one another.

“I’m sorry.” They said at the same time.

When both innocent voices collided with one another, they chuckled, looking down at the stitched fabric. 

“What are you sorry for?” Key asked.

Onew shrugged.

“I feel like I’ve been acting like an since the whole, running away from the “Cerberi” happened.” He used his fingers to make quotation marks in the air.

“No, you were just doing what any smart person would do. Questioning the situation. Then there’s me, the all-too-curious cat who decides it’s best to go with the flow. I know I frustrate you most times with my damn decisions. After all, it was my decision to go back in the damn woods.”

Onew pursed his lips.

“As much as I still don’t think it was a good idea, I’m glad you showed me what you did.”

Key looked up, a glow in his eyes that had dimmed since the two of them had gotten in a fight over all this supernatural nonsense.

“You are?” He questioned.

Onew shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah, I mean, if I had some cool powers, I would show you too.”

“According to the boys you do.”

Onew arched his brow.

“Which was?”

“The running. I mean…” Key leaned in and whispered, “you did outrun werewolves after all.”

“Cerberi.” Onew retorted, mimicking the way Minho said it earlier.

They both laughed.

“We should get some sleep.” Onew murmured.

“Yeah,” but just as they were about to get cozy, Key sat back up. “So what are we going to do about all this?”

Onew had frozen in mid movement to turn off his light switch. He stopped what he was doing and sat and turn back to face Key. He grimaced.

“As much as I hate to say this, I think we have to do the only thing there is to do when you need to know who you’re up against.”

“Which is…?’ Key questioned.

Onew sighed.

“Become friends with them.”