Chapter 5

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

Onew watched him as he ate, deciphering the boy’s every move. His dark muddy eyes brightened with curiosity but caution. Key stuck his fork deep into his salad ever so slightly, sighing as the food entered his mouth.

“So you’re not going to say anything?” Came Onew’s voice after about ten minutes of silence was shared.

Key pursed his lips and laid his head on the side of his shoulder, cheaply forcing food down his throat.

“About…” He lead on.

“Me staring at you.”

The boy dug more into his food, being careful not to pick up the carrots and slowly shook his head. He was used to this, the worrying that Onew held for him whenever something went wrong. When they were younger, Key fell and bruised his leg that eventually needed a bandage around it for a week. That whole week Onew begged his parents to stay over Key’s house and make sure the boy was alright, whether what the doctors said was true or not. So yes, he understood this immense worry that was simmering out of the boy’s skin, wavering over Key’s body. As the years went on, he’d learned to turn it off, giving Onew the same look he was now.

“Onew, that…” he said, circling his fork in the air around his friend's face, “is nothing new. Why should I say something?”

“Hmmmm~” The sound sang from his throat as he leaned back in his chair, having already eaten all of his food.  “Are you really sure all you did was fall and mess up your arm?”

“YES.” Key moaned out. “Isn’t your next class coming up?”

“Haven’t you noticed something else?” He added, not paying heed to what his friend had mentioned at all.  Key stopped eating and looked up.

“What now?”

“Those four.” Onew nodded his head towards the left while his eyes cringed, wiggling his finger over at the two lunch tables that sat up against the cafeteria wall.  As if divided amongst families, Taemin and Kai sat at one while Minho and Donghae sat at another. “Every time I’ve spotted them; it looks as if they’re looking away. Both tables. I think they’re staring at you.”

With interest, Key arched his eyebrow, setting his eyes over in the direction that his friend motioned to, but the four boys were eating. Strangely and sternly, almost like robots in fact, but eating nonetheless. He shrugged his shoulders and picked his fork back up.

“Looks non-strange to me.” He muttered.

“Mmmm. Some of the things Luna brought up is starting to bug me now.” Onew whispered.

Key rolled his eyes and stuffed a piece of lettuce into his mouth.

“Please don’t let that dumb girl start getting to you to. We have one crazy, we don’t need two.”

“Mmmm.” He nodded in response, gathering his things in his bookbag. “You’re right though, I do need to head to my next class soon. See you at the lockers?”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” He said casually, waving his fork for his friend to leave.

****

“If they’re not going to go over, I’ll do it.” Taemin grumbled, pounding his chopsticks at the meat on his tray.

“And what makes you think they want to go over?” Kai asked.

“Just look at ‘em.” He nodded in their direction. Donghae looked up at the same time and caught the stare and immediately afterwards went back to eating, while Minho caught it as well, but continued staring back. “They always like to think things through like idiots. Life is about taking risks and if it’s a risk that we might be in trouble because of that boy, I want to know.”

Kai made a kissy face and nodded his head.

“You’re right about that.” Then he paused, almost as if getting his words together, “but…won’t that Key boy think it’s weird. I heard neither you or Minho really socialize around here.”

“You think I give a damn what he thinks?” Taemin retorted back.

“Not really.”

“There’s your answer.” He set his metal chopsticks down.

 

“Ayeeeee, they’re talking about going over there.” Donghae whispered to Minho.

Minho sat back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest in an authoritative demeanor as usual but this time provided by a grimace of displeasure over his face. He stared Taemin down who bore his eyes back, neither wanting to let go, but eventually Kai started to talk to him again, pulling his attention away.

“Of course the two idiots are planning to go over. They’re all about action.” He replied.

“They never really think things through do they. I heard you two aren’t really that social over here. Doesn’t he understand what bombarding that Key boy is going to do?”

“He’ll turn all the attention on the four of us, like there isn’t enough already.”

 

“I’m going,” Taemin said, standing up.

“Me too.” Kai smirked.

They both turned their feet in the direction of Key and started to make their way over, but were abrutly stopped by Donghae and Minho who intercepted their path; all of this just as Key was getting up and grabbing his backpack. He heard the sudden skid of feet and turned towards the four of them. In fact, a couple of other people did as well. The sun from the window aligned itself on Key’s face and Taemin angled his attention into that of golden eyes with what seemed to be speckles of emerald circled around the pupils. The widening of them from the surprise expression on Key’s face threw him off and for a moment Taemin furrowed his brows in frustration. What did those eyes remind him of?

“Taemin-“ Minho cut off.

The man’s dark voice snapped him right out of the daze and immediately he placed his attention on the people in front of him.

“Just what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Taemin angered.

“Funny, I was going to ask you two the same thing.”

“We’re getting answers.” Kai interrupted. “Something the two of you are too busy thinking about doing.”

“And what, have all eyes on us like right now?” With a slight gesture, Donghae motioned part of his right hand at a couple of eyes that caught their attention.

“Like that Luna girl has anything more to gossip about.” Minho went on.

“Unlike the two of you who are constantly lost in thought, we would actually like to know what the hell happened to his arm, because let’s face it. We all know that he’s lying.” Taemin replied.

“You assume he’s lying based off of your curiosity.”

“If something bad really happened to him, we need to know ahead of time, before each of the families get involved. You’re the oldest Donghae, you of all should know that. I question why you’re at this damn school anyway. What teenager wants to come here?”

“You think I don’t want this problem solved. And as for the means of my arrival, that’s none of your business.”

“At least me and Kai need something as an answer when we go home and see Heechul. What about you two? Don’t you need something to tell Shindong?”

“We handle our situation in words.” Donghae replied.

“So do we,” Kai retorted, “we were simply going to ‘ask’ what the hell really happened to him. Because I don’t believe his at all.”

“Yeah, I’ve seen you two’s ways of ‘asking’.” Minho stated.

“Then why don’t the four of us just approach him like the huge gang everyone deems us to be.” Taemin angered pointing in Key’s direction, but when he looked, his eyes met nothing.  “Well would you look at that, he’s gone.”

Like a stimulated response, the other three turned and looked, but as Taemin said, there was no Key in sight.

****

The end of the day had finally arrived and surprisingly ever since this morning there had been no Luna to bother Key what so ever. But as he leaned against his locker door, he remembered the moment of worry that crossed her face when she saw the cast that covered his arm. Perhaps she was giving him space. Maybe she felt bad for once. A rarity in its own. Thinking of rarity, he lingered back on lunchtime after Onew had left. The strange staredown that went on between him and Taemin. It was the first time that Key had actually looked at the boy in the face. Weird, seeing as they spent most of highschool or somewhat together. But when he really got to see Taemin’s features, he had to admit, they were something to be awestruck about.  Those alluring mysterious eyes that his long lashes shadowed over. That bright silver hair that bounced with each movement he made and that porcelain skin; tanner than a doll’s, but much paler than Key’s.

But what was the staredown about? Key naturally assumed that there was some sort of confrontation between him and Minho, otherwise why would Minho be blocking the boy. However, for a second, just for a slight moment, Key thought Taemin and the new boy Kai were making their way towards him. But perhaps, because he was mesmerized in the boy’s features, it was all in his imagination. That thought was weird in itself, seeing as the last thing Key ever picture himself doing was mesmerizing over either one of the two mysterious boys who were now accompanied by just as mysterious cousins.

“Earth to Key~” Came Onew’s singing voice.

A hand waved back and forth in front of him and just like that, Key was snapped back into reality, whether he really liked it or not.

“Sorry.” He murmured.

“Did you hear what I said?”

“Hm?” Key looked up at his friend with a dubious expression.

“Key.” Onew laughed. “Did you even see me walk up to you?”

“Actually,” he paused, “no.”

Onew scowled and cocked his hip towards his locker.

“Are you positive you’re 100%. I’m starting to think you got a concussion from that fall.”

“Yeah,” Key chuckled back, bringing himself out of his daze. “Was just thinking about something is all.”

“And that would be?”

“The application…for the university.” He lied.

“Lying again I see.” He wiggled his finger towards his friend’s nose as he opened up his locker. “Don’t make it habit.”

“Ohh—It’s-It’s just-“

“Key,” Onew leaned his head out of his locker, “if you really have a headache because of your fall that’s all you have to say. No need to play the brave face with me after all.”

“Y-Yeah.”  He muttered watching Onew go back to putting things away. “Sorry, won’t do it again.”

“You should tell Auntie to get you an ice pack when you get home.” He closed his locker door and swung his book bag over his shoulder.

“What were you going to say? Before you started asking about my condition?”

“Oh yeah!” He motioned his thumb behind him at the students pouring out the building door. “A rumor’s been going around that Minho, Taemin, and the new kids were about to have a scuffle at lunch time.”

“A scuffle?” Key chuckled, adjusting his backpack on his shoulder.

“Well, you were there. Did you see?” He motioned for the two of them to start walking and, as usual they synced in their footsteps.

“I mean, it looked like they were about to do something, but nothing really happened. Plus, I left before they did anyway so I wouldn’t really know.” He shrugged.

When they were outside, few students were left in the building. They always did walk slow when it came to walking together. As Key looked up at the sky, it reminded him of the day before; the beautiful yet subtle clouds.

“Hey, Onew.” He stopped walking and turned to his friend. Onew mimicked his actions.

“Yeah?”

“I’m going to take the long way home today.”

“Then I’ll go with you.” He nodded towards the direction he knew Key was mentioning but the boy shook his head.

“Alone, I mean.”

“Well, I don’t think that’s a very wise choice, given your condition.” He nodded down towards the cast, “or your dishonesty.”

“I promise I won’t go into the woods. I’ll never do that again after screwing myself up.”

There was a moment of silence between the two of them and Onew, just like lunch time, bore into his best friend’s eyes to search for lies but he couldn’t find one anywhere in his irises.

“Alright. But please, text me when you get home.”

“Okie Dokie. I just…want to take a nice walk home today.”

“Alright.” Onew answered. He waved his friend goodbye but it didn’t stop him from glancing back every once in a while the further he grew away. Key stood there, watching his friend’s footsteps until there was nothing left to see. His attention turned towards the woods and out of instinct, he wanted to walk over. An odd sensation, but naturally, he decided against it and made his way towards home.

His home was a little closer to the school grounds than he’d like, but it made it quicker to get home, and because of this, sometimes he took the longer route to walk. The gate that surrounded the school etched yards away from the actual school and Key used it as a guidance. He touched the metal rods that were its guards while looking down at his shadow casted at his feet, trailing behind him.

“Key.” The dark voice emerged from nowhere forcing Key’s heart to jump out of his chest and make him fall over his foot.

Just when he thought his face was surely meant to meet the ground just like yesterday, something caught him. A hand, firm and strong. He was pulled backwards and turned around. The meeting was the last person he’d expected.

“M-Minho.” He stuttered. A name he never imagined he’d say to the actual person.

The man was tall and just as alluring as Taemin. Except Minho appeared to have a taller stature though Key was sure he and Taemin were the same height. His eyes were dark like Taemin’s in the dim sun setting and his locks created shadows of his face. The man had both of his hands gripped on either side of Key’s shoulders, being careful enough not to irritate the cast. Just as much as Key looked at him in his eyes, Minho appeared to do the same but ten times stronger. It was almost as if he was searching for something. After a minute or two of intense staring, Key wiggled his body from the man’s grasp who was more than willing to let go.

“W-What c-c-can I do for you?”

The man straightened his back, further completing his stature and looked down at Key almost as if looking down at a child.

“Your cast.” He spoke, eyes lingering at the blue guard around his arm. “How did you get it?”

“Well,” Key awkwardly chuckled, “injuring your arm will do that.” He unconsciously stepped back a little more.

“No, I mean, how did you end up obtaining it.” The way he spoke was so affirmative and forward, a tone that turned Key off.

“I told the whole class what happened. You were there-you know.”

“Was that.” He paused, pouring deep into the boy’s eyes again, a motion that began to make Key uncomfortable. “The truth?”

“Of course.” He spoke, taking another step back.

“There is no need to be scared.”

“I’m not scared!” He immediately retorted, “you’re just creeping me the hell out.”

“I apologize.” But it sounded like more of a question than a statement.

“Can I help you with anything else?” He snapped.

“No.” Minho answered in the softest of tones, something different than what Key had heard so far. The boy nodded and walked towards the direction of his house in quick steps, but with every step he could still feel Minho’s stare glaring down his back. And so, with every feeling of unease, he walked faster and faster, until he was sprinting towards his house.