Chapter 35

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

đŸš«Hey guys, lately, when I copy and paste my chapters on here, it reverses some of my sentences. I edited it, but I might have missed some. So if you see any sentences that are confusing or look incomplete, let me know. Those might be some reversed sentences that the system caused that I missed. And also, welcome new subscribers! And thank you to all those who comment! :D đŸ”„

 

That same crunching sound returned as they walked back through the woods. The atmosphere was calmer than when they’d entered, now that Siwon and Eunhyuk and the threatening transformed Cerberi weren’t in the area. Key could feel the difference in his bones. As if the forest were telling him, ‘it’s safe to come back now.’ He didn’t get that when they entered a while ago. Maybe that should’ve been a sign that there was trouble about. But like a lot of things lately, he’d shrugged it off, determined to get to his goal.

Even with the newly formed cool air the emitted through the trees, there was still a sharp, awkwardness to the two of them as they headed back. Neither had said anything to other. Instead, Onew made sure that Key was ahead of him while they walked. Each had something or rather someone else on their minds. Onew thought of Taemin’s brute strength he showed when throwing one of the wolves towards Minho like he were nothing but a sheet of paper. But his eyes had also gone to the way Taemin’s mouth sagged when Minho left. The way the boy’s shoulders slouched and the way the excitement in his features seemed to lessen when he realized they’d been keeping so much from them. There was a sharp pang in his chest when he thought about it. He felt
bad. Like they’d really done something awful by keeping to themselves.

And that emotion waved from him to Key, but instead, Key thought of Minho. How silent he was while Taemin talked, the way his arms crossed one another and held back the anger in his features. Key couldn’t even get out his entire name without the man disappearing off into the woods. Had they done something wrong? But
no. He remembered hearing both Minho and Taemin chuckle when Jonghyun made that remark at lunch. He knew where their true feelings were. But—then again—maybe for once, like the first time he’d entered the woods, his feelings were wrong. Maybe the two of them didn’t know as much as he and Onew thought. Maybe they were terribly wrong and the only other people they could trust, now, didn’t trust them.

“Onew,” he spoke, “I think-“

“Tomorrow.” The man whispered. “Tomorrow. I’m too tired tonight.”

 

***

Taemin had Eunhyuk and Jackson confined to the house for the day’s run. He instructed that they could make their laps in the provided area around the vicinity of his home, but other than that, they were not permitted into the depths of the woods until he thought otherwise. Neither one argued, not even Uncle Heechul said anything. He watched in a broader perspective as the boy gave his orders. Kai, of course, was allowed to do what he wanted and that want was to get as far away from the Hallasan wolves as possible. So, he informed Taemin that he was going to spend the day hanging out with some friends at school.

This left Taemin with nothing to do. So, a run in the woods was decided. Or rather, finding Minho. For some reason, he figured the man would be out for a run as well, but no matter how much he ran, he found Minho nowhere.

 

 

This was his sweet escape. The smooth ridges of its amber walls. The crystals that formed from some of the dripping rock. The gaping hole that allowed the sun’s rays to hide away in here. His cave. Minho sat cross-legged at the deeper end of it all, letting some of the shadows engulf his figure. It was the only place where he found silence and peace. He’d confined Siwon and Jonghyun to his home, allowing them to run on the available land but not follow him to the deeper side of his woods. Even with his cave’s layers of soothing minerals and calming air, there was a discomfort in his bones. He was fully clothed with a thin white t-shirt on and light, somewhat sagging gray jogging pants. But even his shirt was starting to make him hot. The cave, after all, wasn’t specifically a cold place, granted what others may think.  

He heard the echo of footsteps and smelled that familiar scent before it even got close to him. Minho forced his eyes open, his back straight against the cave’s smoother walls and grimaced.

“How did you know I was in here?” He whispered.

The last thing he had to do was call out to the person slowly approaching him.

Taemin cut off what little light was still lingering on Minho’s foot, casting a heavy shadow that made light cast around the outline of his body. The boy shrugged, a smug smirk on his face. It was a smirk that reminded Minho too much of the Hallasan Cerberi. It was bothering.

“No matter how much we hate each other, I know you best man.” He answered.

“Do you now?”

Taemin kicked a few loose jagged rocks that dusted the ground floor and made his way over to Minho. Before the man could object, he intruded into his space, sitting down next to him and letting his legs spread out straight.

“You’re really mad aren’t y-“

“Of course I am!” He gritted his lower jaw.  “But I- I don’t-“

Minho’s hand wiped against his forehead. He looked down in between his legs.

“I don’t- I don’t-“

“Know why.” Taemin finished.

Minho lifted his head and turned to his partner, eyebrow arched, but sitting in the depths of Taemin’s eyes was a tiny glint he hadn’t realized before. A glint of sympathy.

“It’s alright Minho, I get it. More than you think.” He grunted and slid down a little more, the edge of his shirt snatching on a rock, exposing a bit of his skin. “It’s complicated.”

“I can’t believe-why would they-hmm.” A small grunting noise tickled his throat.

“I don’t think they were lying to us-“

Minho glared at him.

“At first.” The boy admitted, raising his hands in defense. “I don’t think they were lying to us at first. You saw how surprised they were when we first introduced them to this whole supernatural world. I mean
what conscious supernatural creature doesn’t know about Cerberi. We’re top of the top right?”

“Top of the top.” The man grunted again, remembering his recent distrust of the Elders. “Yeah
sure.”

Taemin arched his brow this time.

“Hey man
what’s been with you?”

“What’re you talking about?”

“From the blow up in the woods that time ago, your little questionable glances you made while we were at Hallasan and just your overall attitude. I know we aren’t really best friends and all but-“

“Why do you keep saying that?”

Taemin sat up, a questionable look on his face.

“Saying what?”
“That we aren’t close. It’s like you don’t want us to be-“

“No, it’s just
I thought, even with everything going on, it wouldn’t change your mind on our current status of relationship.”

“Taemin,” The man sighed, “if anything, you’re the only person I trust right now.”

The words came out before he could stop himself, but they felt good to finally come out.

“What-I-I mean
I am?”

“I mean, have you seen the we’ve been going through lately. Finding Tribeless, being in charge of used-to-be alphas, turning wolves, this mystery with my cousin, the Elders-“

“Wait, wait, wait.” This time there was a concerned frown in his brows as he leaned closer. “What do you mean your cousin? The Elders too? Is this what’s been bothering you? What’s wrong with your cousin?”

“Oh come on Taemin, I know you’ve probably thought it too. He’s suspicious
to say the least.” Minho let his legs spread out like Taemin’s. “I’ve been thinking it for a while. I mean
he’s not really...he’s not our age. I’m sure the Uncles rigged a way for him to get through the school like they did Jackson and Jonghyun.”

“Yeah
 but Jackson and Jonghyun are our age. You mean this whole time you thought there was something up about Donghae and you didn’t say anything?” Taemin scoffed. “And you got mad at Key and Onew for keeping secrets.”

Minho eyed Taemin who rolled his eyes and shook his head. He never realized how much of a hypocrite he sounded like. Neither did he figure Taemin to take the news so coolly.

“You aren’t
mad?” He asked.

Taemin leaned his head over, brow still arched. He shrugged his shoulders again.

“Like you said. After the , we’ve been through.” He shrugged again. “I don’t really care anymore. I just want something to make sense for once. So, what. you think your cousin has something to do with the Elders or something?”

This time Minho shrugged.

“I-I don’t know anymore. Nothing makes sense. Between him, the Elders, the Uncles, and Key and Onew, I don’t know how we can trust anyone.”

“Well,” Taemin smirked, a fresh sigh running through his teeth, “who’d thought that Taemin and Minho would be best friends? The world is definitely changing since Key and Onew fell into our lives.”

“Yeah, the world is definitely changing. Who’d thought that Taemin, reckless, action-first Taemin, would be the one with great advice.” Minho chuckled.

“Oh, you got jokes now?”

They laughed together, their shoulders touching slightly. But after a minute or two, they realized their reality, their laughter died down to a simmering whisper.

“No more secrets.” Taemin states.

“No,” Minho repeated. “Speaking of which, I’ve thought of some things. These questions that we’re confused about, that I’ve found us asking ourselves; what if Key and Onew are thinking the same thing?”

“They’re not just acting in strategy but in fear.” Taemin continued.

“Exactly. Something definitely happened while we were gone during that weekend. Something awful. Something that has them terrified.”

Taemin sighed. “And we have to find out what it is. And the only way to do that is to get them to talk to us.”

“And during that weekend they apparently figured out what they were. I’m sure of it.” Minho said aloud, continuing his thought.

They went silent together again, staring at the beaming sunlight that leaked into the cave like a huge beacon.

“Kind of cool though, how Onew can turn invisible. I’ve never heard of a creature doing that before.” Minho stated.

“No more secrets anymore, right
Minho?” Taemin sighed.

“Right.”

“I think I like Onew.”

“I’ve noticed.” His friend smirked.

***

Out of all the things he regretted since they found out they were supernatural, this was the first on his list. Onew walked into the restaurant and searched the area for her. Luna. He’d remembered that he had promised her a dinner, and since his time was free, this was the only chance possible. That was his thoughts earlier today. Now, as he stood in the frame of the subtle classic restaurant with its hovering crystal lights and deep mahogany settings in his somewhat casual gray casual suit that his father had bought him a year ago for a school event, he regretted the whole idea. Regretted making a deal with Luna; her gossip for his time. Still, he’d made a promise and a promise was a promise. With everything that happened last night, a little change in setting was needed to lighten his mood
if that could happen. Maybe he could use the opportunity to get some info out of her.

Key surely didn’t seem pleased when he left. The boy was still irritated with everything that went on last night. He kept bringing up Minho for some reason. Saying he felt bad with the way the man had reacted. In honesty, there was nothing Onew could assure him of. He wasn’t really sure what to thi-

“Onew!” Came her all-too noticeable voice.

He snapped out of his thoughts and looked up, finding her tan hand waving in the back, at a table. He smirked
awkwardly and nodding while making his way over. The servers were busy, so none came to ask him if he needed any help. Luna was dressed in a short purple gown. Strange color and style for the changing season. She stood up when he got close, showing off her smooth long legs. It was a flowy dress, moving with the sway of her body and it was layered in thin fabric. Her hair was pulled up into a bun and she wore tiny diamond earrings that reflected the light of the hanging crystals on the ceilings. It was the first time he’d seen her so formal. It was odd because she was actually pretty. Onew smirked again, leaning in for the unexpected hug she pulled him into.

“They went ahead and seated me to a table when I said who reserved it.”

“Oh.” He responded, nodding again as they sat down.

This, in fact, was a regular restaurant that his parents went to. The staff and the owner knew them like the back of their hands, so of course they’d know Onew when he made the reservation. Sometimes he really forgot just how rich and well-connected his family really was. He looked around the suffocating fancy setting one more time, taking in the skinny round dining tables and intricate black designs lining the frames on the walls. This really wasn’t his version of good dining. He preferred something simple. Like a small burger joint or something. Just not this, but Luna
was
Luna. He’d figure she wanted something fancy. Isn’t that what girls liked?

“I almost thought you forgot about your promise.” She continued.

The waiter came over just in time. Before he could even open his mouth a small man with limber arms in a black suit came over to them, barring all kinds of white teeth. He politely asked them what they wanted, paying no mind to the fact that he’d interrupted a conversation. They both said just a water and as soon as he came, he was gone.

There sat an awkwardness between them as they realized not many people were here this afternoon, which meant it was quiet. Luna cleared and looked him in the eye.

“I’m happy,” she started, “that you asked me out.”

Onew nodded again.

“Good
.I
uh, always keep my promises.”

Luna nodded.

They sat for another three minutes like that, avoiding eye contact and soaking in the silence like a jarring headache. Then Onew veered his attention back to her.

“Luna,”

Her lashes moved up, her deep black irises piercing his eyes.

“How do you
.” he tapped his bottom lip, “I was just wondering. Your parents seem to know a lot about this place. You know, with all the rumors and whatnot.”

“Of course.” She stated in a matter-of-fact way.

“W-Why?” He stuttered.

She patted her hands down on her lap to spread the fabric of the dress and moved her gaze around. It was odd, him seeing her so vulnerable like this. If it were school, she’d be loud and attentive, waving down the hey-listen-to-me flag from whomever she could get it from.

“W-Why did you ask about the rumors last time in exchange for a date?” She bounced back. “I know you Onew, you never like listening to my rumors anyway.”

“Technically, I said I never listen to rumors, not that I didn’t care for them.”

“Well, that’s a confusing statement.”

“Sorry.”

“I-It’s alright.” It was quiet again. “And as for my parents
well,” she shrugged, “if I tell you, you’re not gonna tell anyone else right?”

“You mean spread rumors like you do Luna? I’m not that sort of person,” he waved his hand away, chuckling a bit to himself, but she grimaced.

For some reason, she looked uneasy. Like she had a secret of her own.

“Luna, is it another rumor?”

She grimaced again and he noticed this time how she started to play with her fingers.

“Can a rumor be a tale?” she asked.

“A tale—Luna, I’m not really sure where you’re going here.”

“It’s-It’s about my parents. Or one of my parents’ families, I’m not really sure. I get the sides confused now.”

Onew laughed.

“Luna, what the hell are you talking about.”

She rolled her eyes.

“See, I knew you were going to-”

“Just tell me okay.”

She stopped talking and it looked as though her breath was caught in . That’s when he realized he’d reached over the table and grabbed her now-on-the-table hands to stop her from deflecting the subject. And quickly as he realized, he moved his away.

“Well,” she started, “there’s this story
about my parents. They used to tell it to me and Z when we were little. Like little bedtime stories ya know. There’s a reason why I always know about “rumors” the other townspeople don’t,” she pulled her fingers up into the air to make quotation marks.

Her body leaned forward and her voice went down a whisper.

“When we were little, our parents used to tell us the story of one of their families. My mom’s or my dad’s I can’t remember. They don’t really talk about it anymore. Anyway, they used to tell us stories about the pact between the humans and the wolves. Something like centuries ago
”

Onew furrowed his brows.

“The humans and-wait what?”

She grimaced again, moving her body to the back of her chair.

“I knew you weren’t going to listen-”

“I’m listening Luna
it just surprised me is all. Go on,” because he was actually interested.

“Well, the tale goes that my ancestors apparently made a pact with these wolves that turned into people. But the pact was made, not for peace, but for power. Well, peace for the humans, but power for the wolves. Apparently, the wolves were too weak to do it on their own.”

“Power?”

She nodded.
”Power to get rid of some fox spirits.”

And just like that, his interest was raised a little more.

***

Key switched his head both ways when climbing out the bedroom window. Onew was gone and his parents, though hovering in their own little way, were in their room together. Without Onew here, he was suffocating in the man’s room all alone and he knew his parents wouldn’t agree if he asked to go out for a walk. The walk was probably suicide, yes, but it was weird not having Onew around now that their connection was closer than ever and they’d been sleeping in the same room for so long. It was like having the other half of you torn away in an instance. Perhaps he was being overdramatic but the inside of him felt cold and desolate. So he decided to change that. He told himself he’d stick to the crowded sidewalks as soon as he got a small distance away from his house and he made sure when he stopped at the store or something, that there would be a nice amount of people around. That way nothing would risk attacking him and he wouldn’t have to worry about being supernaturally kidnapped.

Right?

Now that he was out in the open, the afternoon air wisping against his cheeks, he felt the bad idea curse that was Onew’s voice floating in his head. It felt good when he got a proper distance away from the house but
something seemed off. What was he hearing? A heartbeat? Steps? He saw a nice group of people ahead as he walked down the sidewalk
but he was sure they weren’t the sounds. Or maybe their sounds were contorting with his new hearing ability.

“Key.”

The boy stopped in his tracks, his eyes widening. He knew that voice and though it was a safe familiar one, how had he not sensed him coming? He should have sensed him right? Everything was a little harder to concentrate on when Onew wasn’t by his side. He realized that now. Key turned around to find Minho standing not far away, an awkward smile plastered on his face. Minho took a step forward but Key hesitantly took a step back.

“Minho, w-what are you doing here?”

The man looked doe-eyed, his large eyes rounding in their sockets.

“I-I was headed to your house-”

“My house!” he exasperated.

“Key, we need to talk.”

“We? So Taemin’s not far I presume.”

“Actually, I came alone. Said I would talk to you guys myself
but you’re alone. I didn’t expect that.”

“Yeah, well, Onew had a date-” He stopped himself. One, why was he being so mean to a man he kept telling Onew he felt sorry for? And two, why was he giving out Onew’s information?

“A date?”
“Never mind that, why would you be going to my house?”

“We thought it was the only way that you guys would listen to our side of the story.”

“Well-I’m staying with Onew any-wait
how did you know where I lived?”

Minho flitted his eyes away for a second.

“How?” Key repeated.

“Y-Your scent. It’s like a trail. Any proper supernatural could follow it and find your house.”

“So you were just going to sniff my house down?”

“Key, I didn’t come here to fight.” He reached out his hand and touched the boy’s soft arm.

It was only then that Key realized while they were talking that the man had closed the gap and to make things worse, they were the only two on the sidewalks now. The group was gone. This was exactly what he didn’t want to happen. Now, he was stuck in the situation. But
for some reason he couldn’t tell Minho to move his hand away.

And that was strange.

And new.

“I just want you to try and listen to me. Just for one second,” he pleaded.

Key looked into his eyes, a desperate cry out.

“Okay, I’m listening.”