Chapter 2

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

 

“I need some good photoooosss…” Key drew out the words while his mouse hovered over the college application plastered on his computer screen.

He’d went through his camera, his laptop, and even the photos he’d already printed. They were good, yes, but not perfect. He needed perfect photos. Something to really spark the college’s interest, if he was going to apply. There was a huff and with a quick swipe of his finger, the computer turned off.

There was a knock on the door as he flopped back on his bed, looking over his room.

“Yes?” He called.

He hated the creaking sound his old door created when anyone opened it. Through the slits of the opening, his aunt peeked her head through, her dark auburn hair raining down over her shoulders, small strands cascading down the sides of her nose. She had a small circular face and puffy cheeks that always reminded him of a tiny child, only she was anything but. When she smiled, her eyes smiled with her, light brown irises always lighting up his mood.

“You eating dinner? I finished.”

“Yeah… I was just, looking at some stuff.” His hand gestured over to the blackened screen of his computer. Her eyes moved with his motions and immediately she frowned.

“Still haven’t applied?”

“No. I just…”

“Need a perfect picture.” She answered. A cool smirk staggered across her face.

“Yeah but,”

“But nothing Key. Don’t stress over it too much. All your photos are perfect; you just need to pick the one that screams out to you the most.” She assured.

That was his Aunt Kim, always the optimist. Like Onew in a way. Her fingers tapped against the long column that hugged his wall.

“I’m coming Aunt Kim. I guess imma just…ya know, look for a second.”

“Take your time.” She answered and closed the door ever so softly.

“Yeah…take my time.” He muttered.

 

 

“Ya know aunt Kim,” Key started after he gobbled down some kimchi, the best he’d ever tasted, the only kind that could be created by her hands. “I’ve been thinking more and more about the picture situation-“

“Key stop eating with your mouth full.” She snapped, waving her utensil in mid-air.

Key’s cheeks were stuffed but he listened to his aunt and waited to continue speaking until he’d swallowed it all.

“Like I said,” he continued, “I’ve been thinking about this whole picture thing and I think I know which picture I want to send.”

“Oh well, that’s good.” She sighed out in relief, tipping her head to the side in satisfaction as she grabbed another serving of kimchi.

“The only problem is, I haven’t taken it yet.”

“So you have something in mind…” She stopped what she was doing and narrowed her eyes towards him.

It was that look she always gave him when she knew that a favor was about to spout from his lips.

Key too stopped what he was doing.

“Must be something I’d disagree with.” She continued.

He smirked while a chuckle came out, his shoulders slightly shaking with him. A fake laugh he always nervously conjured up whenever his aunt Kim was correct in her guesses.

“Why-Why do you think that?” He nervously laughed while going for another scoop of kimchi.

“Because then you wouldn’t be telling me all this. Starting me off slow, are you?”

“Well…” he pressed on, head tipping to the side trying to get the words out. “I mean, it’s only trees, but I’ve heard they’re the most beautiful trees known to man. Probably an exaggeration but it never hurts to tr-“

“You want to go to the forest?!” She exclaimed, almost choking on the little food that she'd put into .

“It’s just for a couple of pictures aunt Kim, nothing drastic-“

“Absolutely not! I’ve been hearing those little rumors going around since the weekend.”

Key heaved out a sighed, rolling his eyes just enough so his aunt couldn’t notice.

“Aunt Kim, one, that was a story made up by my crazy classmate Luna and two, nothing bad ever happened in those woods. It’s nothing to worry about. A rumor is a rumor.”

“There’s always some kind of truth in a rumor and I’m not going to let you wander around in some dense woods that surrounds this place. Absolutely not.”

“But they could be the best pictures yet if the trees inside really look how drastically beautiful that people claim them to be.”

“And what about your classmate? This Luna. Did she go into these woods?”

“I mean-“ he shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know. I know her and her sister told some officers and they went to investigate.”

“Okay then, there’s your answer. Nothing majestically beautiful about those damn trees. The police went in, don’t see them starting a rumor about how beautiful the scenery is.”

“Oh my gosh, really aunt Kim. It’ll be quick. I’ll-I’ll take Onew if I have to!” He exclaimed.

Aunt Kim pursed her lips in indifference but slowly started to shake her head.

“No means no.” She answered, grabbing her things and getting up from the table. “And stop wearing that damn camera around your neck so much before you permanently choke yourself.”

She gestured towards the red mark that had refused to leave his neck and instead wrapped itself around it like a snake on a tree. Automatically, his hand rubbed against it, following her finger but it made no difference to him. A mark was a mark.

Key watched her go, following every footstep she made with a scowl.

“No means no.” He whispered, swirling his kimchi around in disappointment. “We’ll see.”

****

“Guess what?!” Luna exclaimed, jumping in front of Key as he was about to step into the classroom.

“! Luna!” He exclaimed, stepping back and clasping his hand over his chest.

He eyed Onew over in his desk, always on time to class as usual and always before Key. His light brown hair made shadows across his eyelids, seeming to be ruffled. And for a split second, Key wondered if his friend even got any sleep last night. By the small tufts of hair that stuck out in the middle, like there was a bit of static pulling them towards the ceiling, he guessed not. There were those post-it notes from yesterday he abruptly knocked down when Key noticed. Then, Onew looked up from whatever he was writing and arched his eyebrow in curiosity at Luna, holding the same questioning look that Key held. There were no dark circles dancing around his eyes as usual when Key could tell he didn’t get sleep. Perhaps it was just his imagination, but it almost looked as though Onew had attempted to look away, maybe seeing the expression Key wore on his face.

“What!” He screamed, shoving her out of the way and walking to his desk.

His camera, as usual, hung on him, pulling at the tight skin from the back of his neck. Like a stray cat, Luna followed, a nuisance she was starting to become in his line of vision.

“I’m sure if I don’t entertain you with the idea of asking what the hell you are talking about; you’d tell me anyway.”

He saw and heard Onew chuckle from the side, almost spitting on his notebook. Key laughed as well, pointing his finger at his best friend.

“This guy knows what I’m talking about.” He announced.

Luna rolled her eyes and sat on Key’s desk.

“Luna what the hell do you think you’re-“

“Guess who isn’t here today?” She interrupted.

He could see the anticipation layered in her eyes. Even if he asked ‘who’ she’d tell him anyway, so instead, he gestured his hand for her to continue.

“Minho and Taemin.” She stood up and wiggled her hips in confidence, placing both hands on her hips as if she was some sort of superhero.

“Oh no!” He exclaimed with the most apathetic tone he could muster. “What ever will we do about this epidemic that has come to us.”

Another chuckle from Onew’s side again.

Luna grimaced.

“Say all you want. If you ask me, two days,” she said, displaying two fingers in the air. “That’s super suspicious. And on top of that, word is new students are going to be coming tomorrow. How much do you bet that they’re coming with Taemin and Minho.”

“And why do you think that?”

“Because I heard they’re coming from their families or something like that. Friends maybe? I don’t know. All I know is, they’re most likely going to be just as suspicious as Taemin and Minho, I mean the two wear the exact same bracelet.”

“It’s a plain black band Luna, I didn’t think there could be something so suspicious about that.”

“I’m telling you Key, they have something to do with what happened in The For-“

“Fine!” Key exclaimed, slamming his hands on the desk and gaining the attention of the entire student body that stood in the classroom. “Just to dispel this crazy rumor, I’ll go there myself!”

Everyone grew quiet. All except Onew. He furrowed his eyebrows at his best friend photographer and shook his head in disagreement.

“Key, don’t let Luna get the best of you. I wouldn’t go in those woods.” He spoke softly.

“Oh please Onew, there’s nothing to fear about those damn woods, because there’s nothing in there and to show it and stop Luna from spreading these crazy rumors,” he gestured his hands towards her who too stared at him with amazement, “I’ll go tonight. I need pictures anyway and I’ve heard the scenery in there will give the best ones.”

“You’re nuts.” Luna laughed. “There’s no way I would go in there alone. You’re gonna be eaten if you’re not careful.”

“Luna, actually you’re the one whose nuts. Making up this story and you’re sister siding along with you. Probably just to make you feel better or something.” He looked to V who sat down with her arms folded. She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Anyone gonna stop me?” He asked, looking around the room of staring students.

No one said a thing, probably took shocked at his confidence in this journey, but there were those who shook their heads. Key rolled his eyes and shook his own.

“Alright everyone in your seats!” Came a loud voice and two booming claps from the front of the classroom. Everyone turned around to see the teacher approaching with his briefcase. Luna was nice enough to send Key one last sneering look before heading to the back of the classroom to sit next to her sister. But when he turned his head in Onew’s direction, he saw the boy staring back at him, eyes pouring deep into his and slowly, his best friend shook his head. Disappointment radiated from his motions.

****

They were once again met with the watermelon sky, cascading its colors over the school through the windows and onto their lockers. Onew opened his own, his voice silent ever since this morning.

“Onew~” Key whined, shaking him on the shoulder in baby motions. “What the hell’s the matter with you? You’ve been quiet ever since this morning.”

“Because you’re nuts.” His tone of voice was dark and disappointed. He closed his locker after putting a few things inside and from the slight glance Key made, there were no more post-its sticking to the inside. No new ones to be displayed.

“Why the hell would you want to go out to The Forest? And just to prove Luna wrong?”

“It’s not just to prove her wrong.” He responded. “Look, I asked my aunt about it yesterday because I thought they’d give me the best pictures to send to the university. The university you’re always complaining to me about signing the damn application for ~” He cooed, hoping that inch of reminder would place his friend back on his side. “So I mean, I’ve already been thinking about it since last night. My aunt said no but-“

“Your aunt said no.” He interrupted. “Fine, that’s a perfect reason not to go.”

“Onew-“

“Look Key,” Onew sighed, “just because you don’t believe there’s anything in those woods-“

“And you do?” Key asked, cocking his hip to the side and crossing his arms.

“I told you I like to stay optimistic. It might not be some magically transforming animals like Luna wants everyone to believe but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing dangerous in there. Woods, especially as deep as The Forest, aren’t ones that you just stroll into for a couple of pics you think is going to help you with an application.”

“Oh, so now you’re saying that I just shouldn’t try. The almighty Onew who told me to do whatever I thought best a month ago in order to submit this damn application.” He wavered his hands throughout the air in exaggeration.

“I didn’t mean harm yourself. We don’t know what are in those woods.”

Key sighed and slapped his hand on his friend’s shoulder.

“How about the two of us go tomorrow after school.”

“Key~ I don’t know-“

“Look Onew, I really want these pictures. And when I get them I’ll stop bothering you about the damn application and just send it in already. No more procrastinating.”

“But you’re aunt said-“

“You know how many times I broke her rules.” He smiled.

There was a short pause that emitted between the two of them but finally, with a slight nod of his head, Onew agreed.

“Okay, but as long as you promise not to go by yourself and you submit that application.” He replied as the two of them began to make their way out of the door.

“Promise.” Key responded all too fast.

When they were met with the outside, Onew rummaged into his pocket for his cell phone, something pulling him away from his thoughts.

“Ya know, I’m surprised Luna didn’t come talk to me before she left school with her sis-“

“Sorry Key, you’re gonna have to walk by yourself. I forgot I had to run to the store for some dinner ingredients before I went home!” He exclaimed while running.

Key didn’t even get out two words before the boy was out of sight and rushing his way towards the store. He was left with a mid-wave hovering the air, never to be seen by his friend. When he really was out of sight, Key sighed and slapped his hand down to his sides but curiously enough, his attention wasn’t long floating in wonder. Instead, it had floated towards the woods that weren’t far away from him.

His head turned in the direction his friend had ran, then towards his way home, but back again towards the woods. What if…just what if? In all honesty, he never intended to take Onew into the woods with him. He saw in the short quivers of his friend’s hands and wavering of words when he spoke that Onew really didn’t want to go. And the last thing Key was going to do was force his best friend into an environment he really didn’t want to be in.

“He’ll be mad at me.” He muttered to himself, playing with the loose skin on his bottom lip. “But he’ll be relieved that he didn’t have to go.” He assured.

He swallowed what little spit he held in his throat and turned his attention towards the woods, left hand hugging the bottom of his loose camera. All he had to do was go in there before complete nightfall, get home before his aunt Kim thought anything wrong and get some nice pictures…All without letting Luna’s crazy stories get to his head. That was easy, right?

“Sorry Onew.” He spoke as he began to embrace the dark spaces known to rumored people as The Forest.