Prologue

[HIATUS] The Blood of Us

“Are you trying to get mom to kill us Luna!”

Luna moved her ear away from the phone, her face scrunching up in opposition. Even with the phone mere inches away, she could hear the screaming of her sister on the other line, and groaning about the terrible decision she’d made by progressing the night alone. She kept the phone away from her ear, letting her sister blow off the much needed but unnecessary steam. And when there were no longer cries of disapproval to be heard, Luna pursed her lips, rolled her eyes, and placed the phone back up to her ear.

“I just needed to get a quick snack from the store.” She said in a subtle tone.

Walking in her worn-out vans against the decade old gravel, small scuffled sounds dragged from beneath her feet while she enjoyed the night. Her head lifted upwards at the dead night sky, painted with murky clouds that reminded her of a rainy day. There were no stars to be seen, all muffled by the street lights that were accumulated around this place, but enough to make it safe to walk at night. Or so seem as though it was.

“V, I’m fine, don’t worry. Plus, you were taking a nap, I didn’t want to bother you.”

“Luna….” V dragged her sister’s name in annoyance but with a settlement of a worrisome tone. “You could’ve just woken me up. It’s too late at night to be walking by yourself.”

She rolled her eyes, swinging the plastic bag filled with junk between her fingers, slung on her other hand.

“You sleep like the dead, there’s no waking you. Plus, mom was sleep too, she won’t know. Unless…someone tells her….”

There was a short essence of silence between them.

“No, I won’t tell.”

“Yes!” Luna jumped into the air, hoping on one foot.

“But you need to hurry up and get back.”

“Nothing bad ever happens he-“ She stopped herself.

“What…Luna…what’s wrong.”

With her fingers intertwined with the plastic, hearing the crunching scruffles of different snacks, she lifted up her hand and slapped ever so slightly.

“No…I was just realizing what the hell I was about to say.” She replied.

“Riiight,” V answered, “scary movie rules.”

“Exactly.”

And just like that, a piercing scream echoed throughout the air, with sounds of crisps breaks from wood anchoring toward the one place Luna tried to ignore no matter what time of day laid between her and the sky. The forest. Luna jumped, dropping her phone and bag. As fast as lightening, her eyes switched towards the dense woods that surrounded the village, but it was night time, and even with the massive amount of lights that floated the area, it was difficult to see anything past the trees that guarded the front of the forest.

Her heart pounded in sudden disdain and without a single thought, she bent down and grabbed her belongings. Her sister screamed on the phone, calling out to her but Luna was already in a sprint, her feet becoming nothing but wind against the worn gravel.

“Luna! Luna! Are you okay! What was that?! Answer me!”

But she kept running, conscious of her sister’s call but mind narrowed and sent in one direction. Home.

“Luna! Luna! Say something! Please!”

“Key!” Luna yelled back.

“Key!”

“KEY!”