His Smile

Hidden

2005, Korea 

 

Choi Seunghyun's POV

 

“That's all there is to it. We look different, so we don't understand each other's inner thoughts, but we cherish each other in our own way. I respect you.”  -The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly, by: Sun-mi Hwang

 

Now that I'm in an orphanage, surrounded by kids with different stories. As I read this quote from the book, something strucked me. Yes I've been kinda rough to them, it's just that I can't seem to find the need to be friendly. 

 

I was raised as a General's son, they said that I should stay focus. Never let my guard down, to never trust anyone. So I stayed in my own little world reading books. The only conversation I had with them is the usual.

 

You greet each other in the morning, eat with them, introduce yourself to the newcomers and say goodnight. I never realised that I acted harsh to them ever since I got here.

 

We should cherish each other and respect them, as we can only depend on each other now. 

 

I heard noises at the front door, everyone gathered except me. I looked closely what is happening. "Kids! We have a newcomer." I heard Umma say. 

 

 

I saw a little girl, her long wavy hair touched her hips, her brown eyes are sparkling and she has pale white skin. She looked younger than me. The other kids started to introduce themselves to her. I continued reading my book as if nothing happend.

 

"Hyung! Come here." In the corner of my eye I saw Jiyong waving at me happily. I thought again, I should be more friendly I guess? I dropped the book at the table infront of me and went towards the girl.

 

"Hi my name is Seunghyun, Choi Seunghyun." I said firmly and forced a smile and went back to my place and continued to read the book.

 

Well that was a smooth start, Maybe? Honestly, my mouth hurts when I tried smiling. I've been putting on a poker face ever since I can remember. I'm like an emotionless robot, you can say that.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, My name is Bom, Park Bom." I heard her say and bowed to them. Bom? I chuckled, just like spring. Her pink little lips smiled brightly, like how cherry blossoms bloom in the spring. 

 

I finished the book and head straight to my room. 

 

Bom's POV

 

"Kids! Let's eat!" Umma called us from the dinning table. We hurriedly went to the dinning table to eat, All of us digged in. I looked around and there was an empty seat right next to Daesung. 

 

Seunghyun Oppa seemed to be missing. I met eyes with Umma and she nodded. I stood up and went to his room.

 

*knock knock*

 

He opened the door, I need to look up to see his eyes. "Yes?" He asked blankly. "Uhmm... I-it's time to eat dinner." I stuttred, he doesn't seem to be like the others. Well he is a little bit of emotionless?

 

"Okay." He stepped out of the room and closed the door. I walked behind him, the atmosphere is kinda akward for me. Yet I'm not going to judge me, as Jiyong Oppa said. "Once you get to know him, he's actually nice."

 

"What?" He stopped on his tracks and looked at me, still emotionless. I was startled, Did he hear me? Why did I have to say it loudly. "N-nothing." I quickly hit my head and walked fast towards the dinning table.

 

 

What an embarassment. I sat down and ate with my head down avoiding eye contact with him. He calmly sat down and started to eat his food, as always he's quiet. 

 

I suddenly looked up and saw him just looking at his plate, saying nothing. I guess he didn't bother about what happend a while ago. 

 

We all finished our food and we cleaned the table together and placed the plates on the sink. The others quickly went to the living room to play. I stopped for a while and saw Seunghyun oppa helping Umma washing the dishes.

 

"Why don't you play with the kids? You always help me." Umma asked him while smiling. "I wanted to help, this is the only thing I can do to say thank you." He said shyly. 

 

I tied my hair up. "I'll help!" I said cheerfully. Umma was the one who cleans them with soap, Oppa washes them with water and I was the one who wipes them, and puts them back to the cabinet.

 

"I'm doing the dishes..." Umma suddenly sang. "Now we're singing a song..." Umma made up words to cheer us up, I giggled softly. "Now you can sing along..." 

 

Umma and I made up words to rhyme the song and finally, finally I saw him smile. Not a forced one, he smiled happily like any other kid should be.

 

 


Again I don't have pictures of them, when they were young. FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST AND COMMENT. THANK YOU FOR READING ~(^_^~)