My Family

Glass Heart

Two girls and a young boy holding hands with one of them walked out the airport lobby. They are from America and had recently moved to South Korea.

“It feels good to be back here where our culture lays. I can’t wait to sight see Seoul once again.” A raven haired girl stood proudly in the center, engulfing the air around her with her noise.

A light chuckle escaped a blonde haired woman next to the other girl. “It does feel good to be back, doesn’t? I am glad Sunny and Taeng are helping us with everything. They were able to find us a roomy apartment for an affordable price. Both you and Yoong will be going to school, and I will work with Sunny at her job. I’m so glad our parents let us live here. We finally get to see her again, huh Krys?”

“Yeah I missed her too Unnie.” Krystal looked at her sister and smiled.

“Mommy! Aunty! It’s Aunt Sunny!” The little boy named Yoong pointed at a short woman waving her hand to the sisters. The sisters and Yoong went up to Sunny to place their belongings in the trunk of her car.

“Sica! Krys! Yoong! I am so happy you guys had a safe trip here.” Sunny hugged all three of them and picked up Yoong in her arms. “Yoong, Hyunnie will be so happy to see you again. She can’t stop talking about you guys.”

“Yes! I get to see my Hyunnie again. I got her the best gift in the world. I can’t wait until she opens it.” Yoong’s excitement earns a chuckle from the woman around him.

“He is so big now Sica.”

“I know. That is why you should stop carrying him Sunny.” Jessica ruffled her son’s hair.

“You guys must be tired. I will drive you to your new place so you could all settle in.” Sunny let Yoong down from her and was about to walk to the driver seat but was stopped when Jessica held her arm back.

“Take me to see her first Sunny. I missed her.” Jessica was on the verge of tears as Krystal rubbed her sister’s back.

“O-Of course Sica. If that is what you want.”

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

Kwon Yul arrived from Japan after his business trip. His trip was supposed to be for 5 days but was cut short to 4 days because his best friend needs help for Seohyun’s party. Yul cared about his best friend and he would do anything for him, so of course he would deeply care about his daughter as well. Yul got in his car and drove to the nearest flower shop. As usual he would get a bundle of pink roses before going to see Tiffany. It was like something he would always do every day but since he was away for 4 days, he had to see her immediately. Tiffany was Yul’s girlfriend. They were only official dating for about 5 months but they knew each other for a year. But the man upstairs decided it was Tiffany’s time to go, and she passed away when a drunk driver collided with her car on New Year’s Eve. Yul was divested about the loss of his girlfriend. He really loved Tiffany. As he reminisced, he made his way to the cemetery where she was at. He walked up the hill and was surprised when he saw fresh flowers and a mini puzzle placed in front of her grave. The flowers were also a bundle of pink roses and pink tulips. The mini puzzle was a 25 piece of the Golden Gate Bridge and was tapped together on the back, to keep it from falling apart. Yul was curious on who would put such things because he was the only one who ever visited Tiffany’s grave. His friends only visited her grave only if it was a holiday or her death anniversary. The flowers were fresh so he knew it was just placed today, but a puzzle. Why was there a puzzle? Yul placed the roses on top of the other flowers and left the grave in peace. He drove to see Taeng.

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey where is Sunny and Seohyun?” Yul got into the Kim’s house and hung up his coat on a hanger.

“Seohyun is with Hyo and Sunny is with some old friends right now. Aren’t you tired dude?” Taeng was concerned for Yul’s health because he knows his best friend likes to push himself past his limit.

“I’m fine Taeng and I have to ask you something important.”

“Okay, shoot.”

“Did you visit Tiffany today?” Taeng was taken back but then his face soften. Yul knew Taeng just by his expressions, and he could easily tell he knew who visited Tiffany.

Taeng sighed and looked at Yul with a stern face. “Her family properly placed them there.”

“Family? Fany didn’t have any family.” Confusion consumed Yul rapidly.

“Not biologically because I know her real family died when she was young. I am talking about her adoptive family.”

“Adoptive family?” Yul remembers dropping the ‘family’ topic once he knew that Tiffany’s family already passed. He never once heard that Tiffany had an adoptive family.

“Tiffany was close friends with the eldest daughter of the family, so when they heard the news about Tiffany’s family, they took her in. Tiffany left that family as soon as she turned 18 and moved to Korea. She didn’t want to burden the family anymore so she left to have an independent life. Sunny told me all this when she passed but I thought you knew about it since you were dating her. But I guess talking about her family was such a sensitive topic that she never told you.”

“So they were the ones that left the flowers and puzzle. Why didn’t they visit before? Even on the funeral day.”

“They are from America and they are not the richest family yeah know. The money Sunny tried to give you on the funeral day was from them. They tried to give what they can and trust me, they really wanted to be there that day.”

Yul does remember Sunny trying to give him money for the expenses but he ended up paying for everything. “So here adoptive family are finally visiting?”

“Oh no, they are permanently staying. Sunny is the one that is with them right now. You will probably meet them at the Hyunnie’s party on Saturday.”

Yul nodded in agreement. “I should get going. I will see you Saturday.” Yul left Taeng’s house and rove up to an apartment building. His room was at the top because it was the most expensive suit at the apartment building. His family also owns this apartment building. He didn’t really like going to this apartment because it was the living space he was sharing with Tiffany. It brought back happy memories but it just broke his heart even more. For the past couple of months since Yul lost Tiffany, he would either stay at his parent’s house or just sleep at his office on his couch. He slowly opened the door to his place, it was kind of dark because the curtains were covering the windows.

“I’m home.” Yul called out but there was nobody to respond to his announcement. He sighed and closed his door, kicked off his shoes, and made his way to the bedroom. The air in his bedroom was still the same as he left it. All of Tiffany’s stuff were still everywhere to her make-up, clothes, and shoes. He opened the walk-in closet and looked up to the top shelving. Some boxes said [Tiffany’s Stuff] on it. He put down all the boxes that said that. He looked at it for a moment.

“Fany, my love. If you are watching me right now, I am going to open your boxes, okay? I don’t mean to intrude but I just want to look if you have pictures of your adoptive family. I also think they have a right to have your stuff anyways since they were there for you much longer than I have.” Yul slowly opened the boxes that were placed in front of him. There was one box filled with a lot of music books, one box had old clothes and shoes, and then he finally found the box he was looking for. There were pictures of Los Angeles and San Francisco in it. There was a small box that was labeled [My Treasure] on it. Yul was curious to know what she treasure the most. He opened up to find 10 neatly place and tapped mini puzzle pieces. The puzzle pieces were of famous places such as the Eiffel Tower, Lady Liberty, Sydney, The Space Needle, etc. The puzzles were tapped in the back to keep it from falling apart just like the one at her grave of the Golden Gate Bridge. He was wondering why she had this stuff. He has never seen her do a puzzle before now that he thought about it. Yul set the box aside and he looked through the big box again. There were two yearbooks from middle school and high school. He chuckled when he found Tiffany’s old school photos. There were a lot of letters to somebody in the States. It read [Jessica Jung] on a lot of the envelopes. He didn’t want to read one of the letters because that would be invading their privacy. Why didn’t she tell me about her adoptive family? If they had money issues during her funeral I would have paid for everything to fly her family to Korea. He was upset at himself because this adoptive family should have gotten to see her for one last time. There were a lot of photos as well. Yul got to see an actual photo of her biological family before their passing. There was also another family photo that was her and her adoptive family. Yul smiled when he picked up another picture. This picture showed a young Tiffany standing next to another dark haired girl who looked like the same age as Tiffany and a small younger girl in between them. He flipped the photo over and it read [First day of high school with Jessi featuring little Krys]. Tiffany looked really happy. There were a lot of pictures of her and Jessica, and some with Krystal in it back in the day. There was one photo that caught his attention though. It looked like the most recent picture he had seen in this box. It was a picture of Tiffany holding a baby wrapped in a blue blanket. On the back of the photo it read [Baby Yoong is born. Proud Aunt!]. Baby? Whose baby is that?

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

The day of the party was hectic to begin with. Taeng, Yul, and Hyo were running around like crazy setting up things for the party. Sunny and Victoria were busy cooking and baking for the food. The adults were finally done with everything just in time because the Kim household had Seohyun and a bunch of her friends running around throughout the house and backyard. The three guys sat outside to get some air and to watch the kids playing around.

“Man, I am tired.” Hyo complained. “I thought Hyunnie was just inviting like 5 friends, not 20!”

“I told her that but she really wanted to invite more people.” Taeng replied.

“Let her have her fun. She is just a child.” Yul chuckled.

“You spoil my daughter way to much Yul. Every time I tell her ‘no’ when she doesn’t get what she wants, do you know what her reply is to me.” Taeng looked at Yul.

“What?” Yul raised an eyebrow.

“She tells me if I don’t buy it for her, she will just ask her uncle Yul and he will be happy to buy her whatever she wants!” Taeng crossed his arms to his chest.

“She really says that?! Wow!” Yul started laughing.

“Taeng is right Yul. You do baby Seohyun a lot.” Hyo interrupted.

*Ding Dong*

The sound of the doorbell could be heard through the house. The guy’s ears perked up at the sound of it. They looked around and it seemed like all the guest were here already.

“I will get it.” The guys heard Sunny call out. Taeng got up so he could greet his guest and Yul followed him. Yul stopped behind Taeng and he could see two girls and a little boy holding a wrapped gift in his hands standing near the door. “You guys made it.” Sunny said as she hugged the two girls and ruffled the boy’s hair.

“Aunt Sunny don’t! My hair has to look nice for Hyunnie.” The boy huffed as the he tried to fix his hair back with one hand.

“Ah I am so sorry Yoong.” Sunny tried to suppress her giggle.

Taeng approached them and gave the two girls a hug also and patted the Yoong’s head. He motioned his hand to Yul to come over. Yul was hesitant at first but then his legs started to move on his own. The two girls looked at him because they never seen him before. “Sica, Krystal, this is Kwon Yul my best friend and he was also close friends with Tiffany. Yul, this is Jessica Jung, Krystal Jung, Tiffany’s sisters and this little guy is Yoong Jung, Jessica’s son which makes him Tiffany’s nephew.” Taeng was the first to speak.

Yul didn’t know what to say. The two girls bowed “It is nice to meet you.” They both said at the same time.

“Hey mister, you knew my Aunt Tiff?” Yoong tugged at the hem of Yul’s shirt.

Yul looked down at the boy and he smiled at him. “Yes I did know her. She was very important to me.”

Yoong nodded it head and excitement was written on his face immediately. “HYUNNIE!” He ran towards the backyard as soon as he saw Seohyun with her friends.

Yul chuckled at the energetic kid when he watched the kid ran away. He turned to face the other adults but to his surprise only Jessica was there staring at him. He gulped and looked around naturally and he sees the other Jung in the kitchen with Sunny and Victoria and Taeng is nowhere to be found. Jessica locks her eyes on Yul which made him nervous.

“You were more than just a friend to my sister, weren’t you?” Jessica had broken the silence.

“A-ah yeah. She was my girlfriend.”

Jessica nodded in response. “She had mentioned she found somebody she had strong feelings for. Sunny mentioned you were the one who paid for the funeral expense. My family and I are forever in your debt.”

“No, it’s nothing really. I really loved Tiffany and I wanted to give her a proper goodbye.”

Again Jessica nodded in response.

“I didn’t know she had an adoptive family.” Yul said.

Jessica gave a confused look to Yul. “Huh? She didn’t mention me at all?”

“No. I asked her about her family one time and she said they died already. I dropped that topic after she told me that.”

Jessica again nodded in responsive. Why didn’t she tell her boyfriend about me? That girl doesn’t keep secrets for no reason. I wonder what it was.

 

A/N: Ohhhh what is the reason why Tiffany didn't tell Yul about her adoptive family? Haha I don't even know. So what do you guys think of the story so far? Is it good or bad? Too slow or too fast? Lol. Tell me in the comments.

-Allister