My Protection

Glass Heart

Yul was having dinner with his parents at their house. Yul was quiet and of course his parents knew something was on his mind. He barely touched his food and he was giving his parents one word answers. His father has had enough of his silent treatment.

“Kwon Yul. Stop playing with your food and eat!” His father had a stern voice that forced Yul to look up at his father’s face.

“Sorry father. I have a lot on my mind.” Yul said softly.

Mr. Kwon sighed. He understood his son was having a hard time but he could at least look happy when he comes for dinner. Yul was stressed out by work and he was having a hard time trying to comfort Jessica. Tiffany was important to both of them so they could understand each other’s pain, but Jessica recently has been avoiding him.

After dinner, Yul decided to go home. He parked his car in the parking garage and made his way to the lobby. He was about to open the door to the elevator when somebody ran into him. He and the girl looked at each other. His eyes widen as it was Jessica but she had blood shot eyes and tears rolling down her face.

“Jessica?! What’s wrong?! What happened?!” Yul was in a state of panic and held Jessica gently in his arms.

Jessica sniffed and tried to speak but there was a lump in . *Hic* “Y-Yoong….”

“Yoong?! What’s wrong with Yoong?!”

“He ran away. I don’t know where he went. Yul please help me find him. Please.” More tears rolled down her face as she hugged Yul tightly.

Yul rubbed her back hoping it would calm her down. “I will help you find him. Don’t you worry.”

“Yul Oppa.” Krystal came down from the stairs to see her sister hugging Yul. “I called Taeng Oppa and Sunny Unnie. They are going to look. Let’s go to the police station.”

Yul nodded his head. “I will drive you guys there.” They all got into Yul’s car and he was quick to drive away. “What happened? How did this happen to Yoong?!” Yul just had to ask. Jessica was still crying and she tried to speak but it came out choppy and her sobs were making it worse.

“Well it all started…” Krystal spoke up for Jessica.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

FLASHBACK

 

Krystal picked up Yoong from school and walked home. Yoong was quiet on their walk and Krystal noticed it, but she didn’t want to ask her nephew because she wanted to have his space. Jessica was already home and was cooking for dinner.

“Welcome back. How was school today?” Jessica greeted them with a smile.

“Fine.” Yoong pouted a bit and walked straight to his room, without looking at his mom.

Jessica was shocked to see her son act out of the ordinary. She looked at Krystal hoping she would have the answer but her sister just shrugged her shoulders.

At the dinner table, Yoong was playing with his food. He usually has a big appetite when he gets home but today he didn’t feel like eating. Jessica was sad that her son wasn’t opening up to her.

“Yoong baby, please don’t play with your food.” Jessica said nicely.

Yoong sighed and put his fork down. “Tomorrow is parent’s day.” Yoong lowered his head once he said that.

Jessica looked at Krystal and then back at Yoong. “And? We could still do parent day. Just me and you like how it’s always been.”

“But everybody was making fun of me that I don’t have a dad. Nobody at my old school ever made fun of me because sometimes my friends had one parent. But here, they are so mean.”

“Yoong.” Jessica patted her son’s head.

“Can’t you call dad?” Yoong looked up to meet his mom’s eyes.

Jessica was shocked and she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Krystal was even shocked, she even gasped but then quickly covered . Krystal left the table to give her sister and nephew some time to talk. “E-Excuse me? Yoong Jung, what did you just say?”

“Call dad so he could come to parent day!” Yoong slightly raised his voice at Jessica.

Jessica’s eyes widen. “Yoong Jung go to your room!” Jessica stood from her seat and pointed to the hallway leading to his room. Yoong crossed his arms to his chest and stomped his way to his room.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

PRESENT

 

“After all that happened, Unnie went to go and check up on him to apologize, then he wasn’t there anymore. We think he sneak out and we couldn’t find him anywhere.” Krystal finished her explanation and it left Yul speechless. Jessica cried even more because the whole situation replayed in her head.

They got to the police station and Jessica rushed out of the car. Krystal and Yul followed up behind her.

“I am sorry ma’am, it hasn’t been 24 hours yet. It’s protocol.” The officer said to Jessica.

Jessica kneeled on the floor by the officer’s feet and pleaded out through her sobs. “P-Please. He is only 5 years old. Please my son is out there. We just moved from America, he doesn’t know his way around yet.” Jessica held up a picture of her and Yoong to the officer.

“Unnie.” Krystal tried to get Jessica up from the ground and try to comfort her.

Yul couldn’t stand seeing Jessica break down like that. “You!” He pointed at the officer and it gained the officer’s attention. “Do you know who I am?” Yul said with a stern voice and it made the officer gulp in fear.

“Y-Yes. You are Kwon Yul the CEO of Kwon Enterprise.” The officer nervously said.

Yul grabbed the picture out of Jessica’s hands and shoved it to officer’s chest. “Yoong Jung is a 5-year-old boy. He is my nephew and you will look for him immediately. You will have every officer available looking for him. RIGHT NOW!” Yul raised his voice.

“Y-Yes Mr. Kwon. Right away.” The officer held the picture and gathered every officer in the station and they headed out to look for Yoong.

Yul faced the two sisters and they gave him a confused look. Jessica got out of Krystal’s embrace and got up and looked at Yul. “Y-Yul…” She tried to say.

“Sshh Jessica. I am sorry I lied saying he was my nephew. I couldn’t stand that they weren’t helping you.” He said softly and pulled her towards him so he could hug her. Jessica’s face redden at the sudden action. “You stay here with Krystal. I am going to go out and look for Yoong too. Hopefully Taeng and Sunny come soon.” He rubbed her back and made her sit down on the bench. Yul went out of the station.

“They will find him Unnie.” Krystal said and rubbed Jessica’s back.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

It had been an hour and there was no luck. Yul was frantically driving around, parking his car, and then asking people if they had seen a little boy walking around. Jessica kept calling him on the phone asking if he has found him yet. It put a lot of pressure of Yul, but he wasn’t giving up even for a second. It was already late at night. Yul could see a park up ahead and he decided to look there. He asked some pass-byers but he still got the same answer he has been getting. From the distant on a swing he could see a small figure. He approached the person slowly.

“May I have a seat next to you?” Yul asked in his calmest and softest voice possible.

The person wiped the tears on their cheek. “U-Uncle Yul?”

“Hey there champ.” Yul gave him a small smile and sat on the swing next to him. “I’ve been looking for you all over the place.”

“Sorry.” Yoong looked down in shame and twiddled his fingers. “Mommy got mad at me.”

It broke Yul’s heart when he heard that. “Well Mommy is looking for you now. She is so worried about you, she won’t stop crying.”

Yoong looked up at Yul with a hurt expression and then you looked back down. “I’m a bad person just like my daddy.”

Yul was confused when he said that. “What? You are not bad Yoong.”

“Yes I am. Aunty Tiff told me long time ago that my daddy hurt my mommy and she cried a lot when my daddy left her. I made a promise to Aunty Tiff that I won’t make my mommy cry.”

Yul felt even sorry for Jessica. She went through so much pain because of Yoong’s dad. Tiffany really loved and cared about Jessica a lot. Babe, if you could hear my thoughts, I promise that nothing won’t happen to them. I promise that I will take care of the family you left behind. Yul got up from the swing and picked up Yoong in his arms. “Come on champ. Mommy wants to see you.” Yoong snuggled into Yul’s arms and they began walking back to the car. They got to the police station and in the lobby was Jessica, Krystal, Sunny, and Seohyun. They were crowding Jessica. Yul already texted Taeng that he found Yoong and to meet up at the station again.

“Mommy.” Yoong called out when we entered the station. Everybody looked at Yul holding Yoong.

Jessica got up from the bench and rushed to the two boys. “YOONG!” Jessica got Yoong out of Yul’s arms and hugged her son tightly. “Yoong. My baby. Mommy is sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you.” She started to sob again.

“No, I am sorry. I made you cry.” Yoong began to cry too.

Krystal came up and hugged both her sister and nephew. She was glad he was safe and back with them again. The Kims went home and the officers were glad that Yoong was safe but they were still scared of Yul because he yelled at them. Yul took the Jungs home in his car and even walked them to their apartment room. Jessica handed Yoong to Krystal because he had fallen asleep. Krystal walked away to put Yoong in his bed leaving Jessica and Yul alone. The two locked eyes with each other. Yul noticed Jessica’s eyes were puffy and read from the constant crying she did. Yul brought up his hand to caress her cheek.

“Y-Yul.” Jessica could feel her face heat up.

“I want to come tomorrow.” He said in a soft voice.

“What?” Jessica gave him a confused look.

“I want to go to parent day. Let me be Yoong’s replacement dad for tomorrow.”

Jessica was surprised by Yul’s statement but he looked so serious.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

The next day Jessica waited outside by the school’s gate with Yoong. Yoong was feeling a lot better than yesterday and he was much more confident. He told Jessica that he didn’t care if it was just him and his mommy and that made Jessica smile.

“Mommy, it’s going to start soon.” Yoong tried pulling Jessica by her hand but she wouldn’t budge.

Jessica giggled at his eagerness. “Hold on Yoong. We are waiting for somebody.”

Yoong stopped trying to pull her hand and looked at her. “Who? Aunty Krys?”

“Hey, sorry am I late. I had a hard time finding parking, there are sure a lot of cars here.” Somebody came up behind Jessica.

“Uncle Yul?” Yoong saw Yul walk towards them.

“Hey there champ. Hey Jessica.” Yul gave them a grin. He stared at Jessica up and down. Wow, she sure is beautiful. Who would be stupid enough to leave her? Jessica looked away to hid her blush because Yul’s stares made her feel embarrass.

“Uncle Yul!”

Yoong’s voice broke Yul out of his thoughts. “Oh right. Sorry. I am here for your parent’s day.” Yul ruffled his hair.

“What? Why?” Yoong gave him a weird look.

“I asked your mom last night if I could come with so you don’t get made fun of.” Yul gave him a reassuring smile.

Yoong looked at Yul then at his mom. She gave him a small smile and nod. Yoong that if his mom agreed to this then that means it was alright. The three of them walked onto the school grounds together. Jessica could hear some parents especially woman whisper something.

“Oh my gosh, isn’t that Kwon Yul? What is he doing here?” Somebody said.

“Isn’t that woman from America? How does she know Mr. Kwon?” Another said.

“Are they dating?” Somebody else said.

Jessica felt uncomfortable by everybody’s stares and whispers. She knew Yul was an important person in the business industry but she didn’t think it was that serious. Yul heard the gossiping so he took hold of Jessica’s hand gently. She looked up at him and he just gave her a smile. He mouthed ‘it’s okay’ to her. Again Jessica could feel her face heat up.

Jessica watched Yul interact with Yoong and the other kids. She learned that Yul has a childish side to him and he was also very active. He was able to come up with the kids and play with non-stop. She giggled from time to time when Yul would pout like a kid as well. Yul was exhausted from playing all day so he decided to join Jessica on the bench. She handed him a bottled water and some kimbap.

“Thank you Yul.” Jessica said without looking at Yul and she just watched her son.

Yul looked at her side-profile and smiled. “Of course. I made a promise to myself.”

“Promise?” That got Jessica’s attention and she turned to face him staring at her.

Their eyes were glued to each other. “Yeah a promise. I promised myself that I am going to take care and protect you, Krystal, and Yoong.”

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

After that day Yul made it his duty to pick up Yoong and Krystal every day when they had school, so they didn’t have to ride the bus. He would constantly ask if Jessica needed to go grocery shopping so he could drive her. It didn’t bother Krystal or Yoong, but it kind of made Jessica feel bad. She didn’t want to take advantage of Yul’s kindness even though he kept reminding her of the promise he made to himself.

Yul had a late night meeting with his employees and he sent them home right when the meeting ended. He went up to his office and he could hear the sound of raining hitting his office window. He gathered his documents and put it in his suitcase and threw on his blazer. Yul was getting ready to leave when his phone buzzed indicating he got a text.

[FROM: Krystal Jung

Oppa, Unnie hasn’t come home yet and it is raining outside. I called Sunny Unnie and she said Unnie closed up the shop and she went to take the bus back home. Unnie doesn’t have an umbrella with her because she didn’t know it was going to rain.]

Yul rushed out of the company’s building and started up his car quickly. He drove through the rain quickly but carefully. He was cautiously looking around for a girl near the bus stops from the route she would normally take to go home. After looking a couple of minutes he sees a girl standing underneath a building roof near a bus stop. She was holding herself and rubbing her arms to stay warm. Yul parked his car and got out his umbrella. He always keeps an umbrella in his car for emergencies. He fastened his pace to the girl.

“Jessica?” He raised his voice a bit because the heavy rain making loud noises.

The girl looked up at him. “Yul? W-What are y-you doing h-here?” She had a hard time speaking because she was shivering.

Yul took off his blazer and put it over her. “Krystal texted me saying you weren’t home yet. I came looking for you of course.” He took hold of her hand with his free hand and pulled her into a hug. “You have phone, so use it. I am just a call away and I will drop everything to make sure you are safe.”

Jessica stopped shivering because Yul made her face heat up and the warmth of his hug was also nice. “I-I didn’t want to bother you. You have a life too. You are already doing so much.”

“I want to do this because this is what Tiffany would want.”

Tiffany? So he is doing all of this because of Tiffany. Yul really did love Tiffany but I can’t be pitied by him. Sympathy is not what I want in my life ever. Jessica lightly pushed Yul away from her. “Take me home Yul. Krystal and Yoong are waiting for me.”

Why did she push me? Yoong nodded but he felt hurt because he liked the warmth they were giving each other. The drive back to the apartment was silent with the exception of the rain hitting the car. It made Yul uncomfortable because he felt he made Jessica mad. Jessica had her arms folded to her chest and she was staring out the window. She even shoved Yul’s blazer back to him when they got into the car. He wanted to ask what was wrong but he didn’t want her to get even madder at him.

 

A/N: Another update for this week. I thought last chapter was kind of short so this one is a bit long. I hope you liked this one. It has more YulSic interacting with each other. What do you guys think of the story so far? The more YulSic interact with each other obstacles or should I say other people will start getting in the way. LOL. I wonder who could the -blockers be. Take a few guesses, I don't mind. Maybe somebody will come into Yul's life or maybe in Jessica's life. You guys will have to find out when I update again for next chapter. Don't forget to comment because I love reading your guys comments! Until then, see yeah~

-Allister