Chapter 9

The Gray Dragon's Death

"You are finally returning home!" My father said over the phone. 

"Yeah... It has been 3 years since I moved and worked at Yeongo do..." I replied.

I've been quite anxious since the past few months I received the notice for my contact was about to end. The feeling of the unknown is excruciatingly painful. 

"I've prepared your room, son. By the way, I have someone living in the vacant room while you were gone." He added.

"Why'd you have it rented?" I said with a pique tone. 

"I had it rented before your grandfather's will showed up... You don't have to worry, Seonsaengnim can move out if you wanted to... I can just tell.." 

"No, it's fine." I sighed. "I'll talk to him, myself." 

He was silent. 

"I had my things delivered there a week ago. Did they all arrive?" 

He replied. "Yes, they did, son... Will you be driving here by yourself? It's quite an awfully long road.."

"I love to drive... So it's not quite a burden."

"Alright. You drive safely, son."

"Thanks, dad... I'll see you later. I have to get ready." 

"Ok, son..."

I hung up. 


It was a year ago where I settled some indifference with my father. He was not the type who is easily pleased. At age 18, I moved out from his home and I lived independently. Since mother's diagnosis, he was not the same. I wouldn't really say for the worse. It's not like I knew him better to make an accurate comparison. Strict as he was, I knew that it was his own way of showing that he cares for me. Now that grandfather had passed and the will of the ancestral house was given to me, he was so supportive of me especially when all of his siblings were against it. To tell you honestly, I don't even know why grandfather gave me the ancestral house. Maybe, because I was always the favorite grandson. Maybe... 

I packed the rest of my things in the trunk and hurriedly closed it. I went to the driver seat and adjusted the rear view mirror and prepared myself for the long ride. I have many thing to sort out. I'm not even sure if she is still there... But I'm holding on to the promise... I hope she is too. 

What should I say to her? 

Should I tell her... 

How I've always longed for her since the day I parted from her? 

Should I tell  her... 

How my dreams stopped when I moved away? 

Would I even see her again? 

I could only hope...

But it has been a very long time...

Too long since the day I promised her...

Could she even wait? 

Wait that long? 

Does she have the patience for it?

To wait on someone, she barely knew? 

Relying on the assumption that I've loved her since the age of time? 

I chuckled in disbelief. 

How could I be so sure that she would even want to be with me? 

She didn't even tell me...

But...


When I looked into her eyes...

I felt like she was holding on to me...

On to my soul...

Like she wanted me to go...

But kept a part of herself on me while I venture to the unknown future. 

It's too ridiculous, I know. 

Why does my heart feel so heavy now? 

Dang it!

I cannot wait to get this over with. 

The feeling of rejection is just too close. 

I slammed a hand on the stirring wheel with frustration. 

I hesitated from speeding up. 

I can't risk getting called by the cops. 

Time is too precious for me. 

Three hours had passed, I had finally arrived. The first place I visited was her apartment. I knocked at the door but no one was answering. Nervousness wallowed me. I heard footsteps heading towards me from the hallway. I turned to look and found the caretaker. 

"Jiyong? Is that you?" 

I bowed in greeting. "Annyeonghaseyo, Mrs. Lee."

"How have you been?! My goodness, look how you've grown. You are as handsome as the last time I saw you." She said merrily.

I smiled. 

She looked at the apartment number I was standing in front of. 

"Are you looking for Dara?"

I nodded. 

"Oh.. She is no longer living here, Jiyong-ssi."

The feeling of knowing that I was right was as painful as not knowing at all. I felt a horrible pang in my heart as if something was tugging my heart to the floor. 

"But, she is still working at the elementary school, though. I saw her yesterday playing with the children as I waved at her."

I sighed with a little hope lighting my heart. It was sufficient enough for me to know. 

"However, she might not be there anymore. It's quite late already. You can still go visit her some other time." She added. 

I nodded. 

"I know it's something that I shouldn't pry... But..." She trailed off.

I nervously asked," What is wrong, Mrs. Lee?... Did something happened?" 

"Oh.. It was long time ago.. But.. The day when you left.. She was awfully.. what's the good word for it.. Distraught...?" She said with a  confused look. 

I was in deep thought. I couldn't imagine how saddened she had been. My heart ached even more. My guilt as too much for me to handle at that time. Mrs. Lee might have seen my distraught face. She quickly replied in hopes of changing the mood. 

"You don't have to worry, though. She was alright afterwards. I bet you she would be happy to see you." 

I looked at Mrs. Lee and thought did she know? About what happened? Did she tell Mrs. Lee? So many questions were running in my mind. However, I only have one important question to her.

"Mrs. Lee.. is Dara..." I couldn't finish it off. The thought of doubting her loyalty for me is just too impossible to calculate after all the pain she went through. 

"Oh, no! She is single. Many suitors but none of them could compare to her one true love." She chaffed. 

I couldn't control a smirk. I bowed and thanked her for her time. I told her that my father is waiting for me and I hastily took off. 

I was already nightfall and I had arrived at the ancestral house. It was gated with high cemented walls with aged wooden gate. I park honked a horn and I saw the shadow of a feet heading towards the gate. I rolled down my window as the gate opens. 

"Son! I'm glad to see you safe." My dad shouted. 

I smiled and slowly moved the car inside. 

After parking the small parking lot, my father approached the trunk. I opened it and hastily went got out of the car to help out with the stuff. 

"How was the drive? Did the city traffic didn't faze you?" He amusingly asked. 

"Let's just say, I had mentally prepared myself for the worst." I replied. He laughed and went inside the house bringing the box of my things. I settled my bag on one shoulder and followed him. 

We went to the hall way approaching the living room. The ancestral interior design didn't change. I could smell the scent of aged wood. The wooden floor was well waxed. I remembered how I often do the chores as my grandfather watched me with attentive eyes. He always had rewarded me great things after doing so much chores. I heard my father call out for me.

"Son, come here. Let me introduce you to Seonsaengnim. As I approached the living room hall, I heard the person stand. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is ..." 

I froze.

She froze. 

I stared at her.

She stared at me. 

I felt like I could hear our heart beat synchronizing. 

"Uhh...." I heard my father make a noise. 

I swallowed nervously and brought myself back to senses. I turned to my father. I saw his brows raised, eyes widened and mouth open in astonishment.

I coughed nervously. 

I looked at her. I saw her clasp her hands in nervousness and looked away. 

I looked back at my father and he stuttered, "I....'ll go up stairs... and.. uhh.."

I noticed at what he was holding. "Th-the box.. Y-yes.. Th-the box.. Thanks, dad." I stuttered. 

"Right! The box.. Sooo.. I'll be .. you know.. uhhh... Leave you two be.." Then, my father hastily went off. As soon as I heard my father's fainting footsteps, I immediately dropped my bag and went to her. 

I embraced her... so tight... That I could feel her gasping for air. I felt cold. The feeling of anxiety and adrenaline is wearing off. My breath shallowed. I laid my head on top of her soft black hair. I took a deep breath, with it the scent of her floral scented shampoo. 

I whispered, "Am I dreaming?" How I missed her. 

She slowly wrapped her hands around my waist and shook her head slightly as a response. 

"Am I too late?" I painfully asked. 

She shook her head once more. 

I sighed in relief. I released my hold on her and asked her to sit down. As she obediently did so, I studied her face as she was looking away from me. Her eyes were swelling, she was holding back her tears for my father not to be concerned. 

"Are you mad at me?... for..." I trailed off. Remembering the feeling of the day I left like it was yesterday.

She looked at me, slowly reached and cupped my face. She studied my face. Looking with such intent look. The look of disbelief as if she saw an apparition. 

She made a gentle smile. Maybe to ease the pain that is showing on my face and replied.

"I only have so much love for you."