Chapter 3

The Gray Dragon's Death

Our horse started to gallop back to the eastern kingdom. She sat right behind me and firmly grabbed hold of me. The way was not an easy one. I wanted to walk and lead the horse with her on it but we were in great haste.

“Are you really a dragon, Sir Kwon?” I heard her ask with a very soft voice.

“No. However, when I was a child, my parents use to always tell me that I was born because they have wished me from the Dragon God.” I blankly replied. I regretted the fact that I told her my name. I haven’t told anyone about my name. Not even the King knows my name. Somehow, she makes me feel at eased. I wanted to open up to her but I held everything in for this was not the time to mingle and make idle conversation.

“Tell me. Why are you risking your life to save the kingdoms? Aren’t you the daughter of the great king? You do know you are opposing your own father’s will, right?” I inquired.

“I know that and I have known that since I was said to be the next Queen of the kingdom than my sister. I never intended to be the next ruler of the Southern Kingdom. Until, we have known that my sister was an illegitimate child. My mother, the Queen, is very sick. We went to an oracle to seek advise. The oracle professed that my mother will die as the Great King will loose and see the down fall of the Great Southern Kingdom as a redeemer will come and slay her and will lead it to his dawn fall. They have professed that centuries to come that the Great King’s legacy will forever be forgotten. He feared of losing his love. And that is why he had to destroy every kingdom which he sees as threat. I have reasoned out to him that with his actions will lead to the prophecy to come about.” She narrated.

She has no hesitations in telling everything. I could feel how she had loved her family that would go to such extremes as to risk her life. We heard an owl’s hoot as the owl flew pass above our head. I felt her grip on me tightly and felt her quivered. I looked behind to see what was wrong with her. I saw fear in her face. I knew right then what had happened. I hastily lead the horse to gallop faster. Hoping that I could still make it.

 

Night time has fallen. My horse not stopped galloping. There was no time to waste. We heard a load banging sound from a far and a bloody read glow painted the sky. “We have to hurry!” Dara shouted. I rode the horse as fast as it can possibly go. We were almost there. I could smell burning wood. I gritted my teeth in frustration. I prayed and hoped for the kingdom. I pleaded for it to be saved.

 

The very image of once a very beautiful kingdom that I loved so much was engulfed in the fierce bright red flame. Dara screamed and hastily got off the horse and knelt to the ground and wept. I was speechless. I slowly got off the horse. I was too astonished of the very sighed. I was dumbfounded. Tears started to fall from my eyes with my knowing. My heart felt as if it was stabbed with a sword. I stared at my burning kingdom. The very kingdom that had kept safe me safe. I was too weak to run. I slowly walked inside the burning kingdom. There were no more soldiers. “Those cowards...” I hissed. I could feel the burning sensation of the flame as if we have angered the Fire god. Dead bodies of the people that I treasured so much was lying everywhere and swallowed by the flame. Without knowing I have set foot inside the lord’s castle. I went inside the and glanced at the broken castle door with a huge log in front of it. I snickered. “They forced their way inside. Pathetic.” I sarcastically said. I looked at the king’s throne and rushed towards it. Lord Yang laid on the stairs of his throne. He was still breathing but his side was bleeding. I held him in my arms. “Lord Yang! Please speak to me!” He slowly opened his eyes. He smiled upon seeing my face. “General... I... I’m... so..rry... I... tri..ed...” He was barely breathing. “Lord Yang! Hang on! I will save you! Don’t give up on me yet!” He hastily grabbed my coat and shook his head. “I... have... one last... mis...sion... for you...” I leaned close to hear and listened intently. He whispered and said, “Fly... high... and live... long... Gray Dragon...” “What do you mean my lord?” And with one last breath, he made a peaceful smile towards me. The castle was falling apart. I hugged his soulless body one last time. I lifted it towards the throne and sat him there where he belongs. I knelt in front of him and swore to his presence one last time, “I will fly high and live long, my lord.”