Chapter 1

The Gray Dragon's Death

 “General!”

The soldier bolted inside my living quarters and saluted.

“I have a message from lord Yang. He wishes your immediate presence in his sleeping chambers.”

I nodded. It was the middle of the night and the king had already called for my service. I clenched my fist.

“Tell him, I shall be in his presence at once.” I bitterly said. I stood and put on my black leather coat.

I was named General Gray Dragon for the lord Yang. I serve as the king’s trusted right hand. I annihilate those who pose threat to his leadership and to the kingdom. I serve  my loyalty only to him. He is like my father. Though I have loved the lord very much but taking someone’s life has never been my . However, I have sworn on his very presence. I will be his servant and his loyal right hand.

I walked in an empty dark hallway of his castle. I stopped my track as I was already in front of his personal chambers. I knocked.

“Come in.” He said.

I opened the door and hastily shut it tight. He was sitting in his couch by the fire place.

“My lord, you have called for me?”

He was looking intently at the blazing fire.

“I apologize for calling you out this late, general. Unfortunately, I am in a desperate need of you.” He softly said. He was deeply troubled.

“My lord, I have sworn my life to you. I shall be of service to you at all times.” I replied.

He looked at me and let out a half smile.

He stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder as his facial expression became stern.

“You have killed countless men that had placed threat upon me, is that right general?”

I slammed my fist on my chest and responded, “And I shall continue to do so. That I may be able to eliminate those who threaten you, your Highness.”

“That is good to hear.” He said bitterly.

He turned and walked closer to the fireplace.

“As you can see, there has been peace in the kingdom and no threat as of late. Thanks to your efforts and your men fighting to keep that peace.” He said.

“We will ensure that that peace will continue on, my lord.” I replied.

“Well, then.” He said. He walked back to his couch and sat down. He clasp his hands and stared at the fire. “You remember the woman we have saved from the burned village of the east?”

“Yes, my lord.”

He let out a deep sigh.

“I need you to take her in the deep forest of the east. Kill her. Burn her body to ashes.”

I was silent.

“I have impregnated her, general... I have known of it as of late when a servant reported that she had been constantly vomiting in the maid’s quarter.” He said full of resentment.

No, it was never a surprising news to me that the king had violated a woman. I have killed many of his mistresses and this will not be any different.

“I understand, my lord. I shall do as you wish.” I turned and started to walk out of his chambers.

“General...” He hastily said.

I turned my back and looked at him. He looked at me with sorrowful eyes.

“Let no one see her as you go outside the kingdom for someone might recognize her.” He commanded.

I nodded.

“She is the daughter of the Great King Park of the Southern Kingdom.” He said with full austere.

I was taken aback. The Southern Kingdom was the most powerful kingdom in the world. They were able to annihilate three enemy kingdoms in one fateful night. The Great king left no one alive; not a child nor elder. He had slaughtered every men and women and left no trace of their existence.

“My lord! If you beg me pardon in saying this but killing the woman will bring even more peril to the kingdom!” I blurted.

He hastily stood up with fierceness in his look and shouted, “Have you no thought that I knew that? But for the Great King to know that I have violated his daughter...” He trailed off and looked away. There was no way out of it. Even if we were to lie of the person who had violated her and keep her alive, she will surely tell the Great King.

“Take her to a far off place! Or rather take her to the vast forest of the north and dispose of her there!” He quickly said.

“My lord. How could this have happened? How could we not have recognized her?” I made a quick query.

He took a glass full of ale and drank a mouthful. He slammed his glass in the small wooden table in front of his couch. “I was too drunk during a celebration for the feast goddess and I went to the maid’s quarter to... There I saw her alone in the dark room. I  approached her and...” He drank another glass of ale.

“How come we have not known that she was the daughter? As my information is concerned his daughters are in the southern kingdom.” I said.

He shook his head. “She is the youngest daughter of the Great King. Hidden and locked away for her safety. Hence, she is to be the future Queen of the Southern Kingdom. She has been wanting to talk to me since she came here. Only after such fateful night one of the servant approached me and she sought my presence as she was the daughter of the Great King and wants to talk of something concerning of importance.”

“And what proof of this, my lord, do we have? That indeed she is the daughter of the Great King?” I inquired. I feared the worse and I do not want to have this kingdom that I fought so hard for it to stand strong to just perish into ashes.

He threw on my feet a small locket made of gold. I opened it and saw a family photo of The Great King and the two young fair women. I recognize one of them as to be the woman in concern.

I sighed deeply. I wanted punch myself for not noticing such crucial information. I clenched the locket on my hand and put it inside my pocket.

“Take her to the far forest of the North. When the men of the Great King will try to inquire of her, we shall say that she has escaped to the far off kingdom of the north and took refuge after the village of the east was burnt to ashes by the Great King himself.” He said. I saw his jaw tightened in frustration... No... In desperation.

“I understand, my lord. Then, I shall set off in haste.” I bowed and I turned towards the door.

“And general...”

I turned my back and looked at the king. His eyes was full of fear. Fear of his life. “Fare thee well and may you be successful in this mission.”

I slammed another fist on my chest. “I shalt fail you my lord.”

I hastily bolted out of his chambers and ordered my men to prepare a horse for the venture.

I prepared the food needed for the venture to the northern woods. She must’ve already known that she will soon die... with my hands. I heaved a heavy sigh and settled my bag on the horse.

I hasted to the woman’s chamber for after the incident she was locked inside. I quickly opened the door and saw the woman patiently sitting in the corner. She hastily made a look at me. Her expression turned to astonishment. She quickly stood up and said, “My lord! I am glad you have visited me!” She hastily approached me and took my hand.

“My lord! You have to listen to me. We must make haste and evacuate the kingdom right now! For the great king will surely arrive in the fifth night and will burn the village to the ground!”

I turned speechless. In my life as a soldier, I have not feared death. However, Death upon the people that I love is a nightmare I could not afford to happen. I gathered myself as she was firmly gripping on my hands.

“What lies is this you say!” I said. I stared at her worried expression.

“My lord! Lies I would never say. I have traveled to the kingdom that the Great King has planned ill means and warned the lords but they would not listen to me. I beg you my lord! Take my heed! I have shown you the proof of my existence, my lord. I only wish for you to hear me out and –“

I punched her in the gut and she passed out. She was talking too much. I felt as if she has planned her escape to such means. She was desperate. She may have thought me naive to fall to such silly lies.

I binded her hands and wrapped her in a leather coat to cover her.

I settled her on the horse. I climbed on the horse and I tied a rope around our waist to prevent her from escaping. The horse started to gallop. The gate opened wide. The sun slowly rose. We rode off towards the north.