Chapter 10

The Gray Dragon's Death


I placed my hand on her warm hand that was on my cheek.

I heard a someone cough. We both looked at the hallway and saw my dad standing. Someone embarrassed seeing us. We immediately straightened up in panic.


“I apologize for my disturbance. However, I have to go to the hospital and look after your mother. She might be worried sick about me.” He let out a awkward chuckle. 

“I.. I understand, Dad. I’ll see you there tomorrow..”

My father nodded. “Alrighty, then. I’ll see you both tomorrow, son…” My father looked at Dara with a mischievous smiled and said “Have a good evening, Seonsaengnim.”

Dara bowed and bid him well.

We were both quiet for a while. I reached out my hand and held her clasping hands. It was cold. She was shaking.

“Am I making you feel uncomfortable?” I asked.

She glanced and shook her head. “It’s hard to believe that I am not dreaming right now.”

I replied, “I haven’t dreamt a thing since I left… How about you?”

She let our a gentle smile and said, “Everyday.”

Confused as I was, she added, “I saw you return home. You were holding in your arms a 7year old girl… It was the present ‘You’ I saw…”

She placed a hand on top of mine, gripping it slightly. “You two looked so happy. Then, you noticed me and she called me… “

“What happened next?” I pressed on. She looked down in her hands, caressing it ever so gently and said, “I woke up… I woke up from her calling me ‘Mommy’.”

I felt my face turn red. She looked at me and apologized that I felt uncomfortable with the thought. I nervously laughed and replied that I was alright with it. It was like a path was laid out for me. I wanted us to live in the ancestral house together. We would build a family here. The plans I made through the years that I thought was but wishful thinking. Knowing that she had dreamt of it is like a vision. A vision for the future. My future was in the works.

I was in deep thought for a while. Finally, I realized that I can have the life in which my former self had longed for. Like a rebirth from an unfortunate circumstance. Salvation from the deeds of the past. I can now live again. Further more I realized…


“The gray dragon is dead.”


Days, weeks and months passed by, my love for her florished greatly. I've introduced her to my parent. My mother was very happy to know about our relationship. Dara had been frequently visiting her since I was away. My  mother never mentioned her name to me when we talk on the phone while I was away for work. She didn't even mention that Dara was staying at my house. I laughed at the thought that I never even bothered to ask. 
I've settled the disputes with my Aunts and Uncles regading the ancestral house. I was able to let them understand that I would never neglect the home were I shared so many happy memories with my grandfather. I've known of the will long before I've first met Dara. The disputes were too great for me to handle. It was something that I wouldn't really want to talk about. My father had been trying to find renters for the house while I was away on my one ventures in life. He knew that if he left the house unattended his father's spirit would be displeased. The odds that for years no one had tried renting it until she came. 

After all the turmoil in my life, everything has turned out for the better. My mother has been recupirating from her brain surgery and she is currently living with my dad again. 

I asked Dara's parent to come and visit her in the city. I paid all the expenses for them for their travel and temporary stay in a hotel. I told them I wanted to surprise her. I introduced myself to them and brought my parent with me. We had dinner together and told them my intention in marrying their daughter. Dara's little brother laughed at the thought of her sister getting married. Dara's mother was in tears. Mr. Park looked nervous and confused. I assured them that I would not take their daughter away from them. I asked them that they can stay in the ancestral house as it was too huge of a house for a couple to stay. He was silent for the most parts. Her mother, still in tears, approved about my intentions of marrying their daughter. 

"Thank you for the offer, Mr. Kwon, however..." Mr. Park politely replied.

 "I couldn't possibly imagine leaving my home."

I nodded. My heart dropped to the floor. I was disappointed. 

He added, "It may disappoint you.."

I remained quiet as he saw right through me. I didn't make a face. I stopped the urge in reasoning out.I felt the familiar feeling of rejection but I continued listening to him. 

"However..."

The suspense was too much for me to handle. Then, he said with stern face, 

"I wouldn't really want to be disturbing you when you're trying to make children of your own, now, would we?" 


I heard my father cough, startled by the idea and humor of Mr. Park. I pocketed my smile and felt my face turn red. My mother had a very wide smile and hugged me. My father patted me on the back so hard as if my lungs were about to pop-out from my chest.  


I bowed to Mr. Park thanking him for the blessing. I told him the dinner that I was setting up and told them about my plans in proposing to her. Thankfully, they all confided with me. It was such a joyous moment for the both of us. I've never hesitated from the thought of her rejecting my proposal. And so, on the day of the proposal, I've never seen her cried so much seeing her family all dress up and looking splended. It as the happiest moment of my life. I wouldn't want it to end.


You might want to ask me, how my life was too good to be true? To tell you honestly. Life is never easy. Circumstances like these are like a miracle to me. Who would have thought that I was so damned in by previously life? To have my trust be tainted by greed and false idolatry? To have killed innocent lives? To have principles of ill-will? To have dragged an innocent girl and then falling in love with her until a second chance of life be given? 


That's right...


What are the odds...