Chapter 8

The Gray Dragon's Death

 

It has been awkward since the day I confessed to her. She has been avoiding me lately. I thought to myself. Maybe, times has changed and the dreams that we’ve had were just merely coincidence. Few months had passed and Dara and I never talked ever since then. The dreams had stopped just like she said it would. I felt empty since then. I found my self sighing deeply all the time, feeling as if I had lost a piece of my life.

 

“Jiyong.” I heard my boss called out. “You’ve been sitting in that desk and staring blankly in space. Are you okay?” He remarked. I let out a smile and replied, “I’m sorry. I just had a little bit of trouble at home. Is there something I can do for you, boss?” He tapped my shoulders and smiled. “Come to my office, I’ve something to discuss with you.” He cheerfully replied. I slowly stood up and followed him to his office. I sat in a chair right across his table. I watched him gently closed the door and walked towards his desk. “Sorry to call you out so urgently. I need you on to handle this urgently.” He said. I silently listened to him. “I need you to train the new auditors we hired in Yeongdo District branch starting next week and help manage the Audit Department in our newly opened branch at Yeongdo.” He looked at me intently. He was hesitant to say it but I knew where this was going. “Which means,... I need you to be relocated. Rest assured, relocation funds are ready for you for two months and salary increase is also there.” He said trying to convince me in taking up his offer. I looked at him quietly. He continued, “You’re performance are very outstanding that is why I choose you for this part. It is a very heavy burden, I know. But, as you’ve heard, CEO is giving us plenty of pressure in helping out make that branch successful and...” I nodded. “I more than glad to take that offer, boss.” I said blankly. “I assure you, I won’t let you down.” He sighed nervously. I stood up and stretched my hand. He smiled gleefully and took my hand and we shook. It was a rush decision but I couldn’t bear staying in a place where I am close to Dara. Trying to avoid her at any chance we meet was too painful for me. I could not possibly force her to love me. I’ve just even met her. I tried to get close to her but for some reason she just wants to avoid me. Maybe, being away from her would help me move on. It’s not like we’ve been together anyways. All this hoping is making me tired.

 

I approached my landlord and set the date for my departure from my apartment. My boss gave me three days off from work to prepare for my relocation. I’m glad I don’t have any family to leave behind to. I guess that was why I was such a fitting candidate for this. On the last night at my apartment, I laid down on my bed. I clutch a hand on my chest. ‘Why do I feel so empty?’ I closed my eyes and thought of her. I didn’t tell her that I was leaving. I guess she would be okay. At least, she need not to avoid me. I smiled bitterly.

 

I heard a loud knock on my door. I didn’t  notice it was already morning. I rubbed my eyes to get rid of any morning glory and slowly walked to my door. “Yes?” I grunt. “Good morning, Sir. Are you Mr. Jiyong Kwon?” The man asked. “Yes, you must be the Home moving service?” I replied. He nodded. I widely opened the door and they rushed inside to take the packed things to their van. I went to the bathroom and prepared myself for the long trip. I couldn’t take my mind off of her but there was no turning back on this now. I got out of the bathroom and patted my hair dry and saw my room was already empty. “Sir, everything is ready in the van.” The man said. I nodded. He handed out the form and I signed it. “We will have it ready by tomorrow afternoon, Mr. Kwon.” I thanked him and he went out. I took out the back pack I have prepared for my trip and started to dress up. My flight was this afternoon. I ate my breakfast in my empty breakfast table and started to reminisce of the time Dara and I had coffee together. I wrote a letter for her. I wanted her to know what I feel before I leave. I don’t want to leave with such an unfinished business. I cleaned after my self and hurriedly took my back pack. For the last time, I went out of my apartment. My lonely apartment. My empty apartment. I stood in front of Dara’s apartment waiting for her to come out since she normally goes to work at least two hours before her shift. I heard the door know turn. My heart started to flutter nervously. The door slowly opened. She was taken aback seeing me in front of her door. “Good morning.” I bowed. She also bowed nervously and greeted me back. I took a last look at her beautiful face. I smiled. She couldn’t focus her eyes one me. “Is there something I can help you, Jiyong?” She shyly said. I lightly shook my head. “I just want to tell you that I’m leaving to Yeongdo District today.” I said still with a smile on my face. I saw her slightly gasp. “Oh...” She sadly smiled and nodded. “I hope... you have a safe trip.” She faked a smile and barely looked at me. “Thank you.” I replied. We fell silent for a moment. I handed out to her the letter that I wrote. She looked at me with a surprised look. “I want you to read it silently right now, if you don’t mind.” I said. She nervously took the letter from my hand and gently opened the letter. As she was busily reading the letter, I took a last thorough look at her image. I beheld and imprinted in my mind her radiant appearance. My heartbeat went faster. As she was nearing the end of my letter, I heard her let out a light gasp. I saw her hands slight shake. I took a step forward and stared into her face. She was breathing heavily. I looked at how she clutched my letter. I bit my lower lip and swallowed hard. Tears was starting to fall from her face. I dropped my back pack to the floor and stretched my hands and cupped her face. I saw her big tears flowed on to her beautiful face. She shut her eyes tightly. “You don’t have to say anything...” I wiped the never ending tears flowing from her shut eyes. “Just... look into my eyes... right now...” She slowly opened her eyes and stared straight in to my eyes.

 

From that moment on, I knew...