Chapter 7

The Gray Dragon's Death

“Yah! Jiyong! Wake up! We’re heading home already. Come on man!” I heard Taeyang’s drunk voice. I slowly opened my eyes. It’s that same weird dream, again. I just don’t understand why I have such a weird dream for the past twenty seven years of my life. However, I could never have the guts to tell it to anybody or else they might think I’m crazy. I tried to stand up but alcohol was taking it’s hold on my body. I felt someone help me to stand. “Thanks, man. Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. I can go home by myself.” I said. I could barely see anything proper but I don’t want to be a burden to them. “Ya sure man? You can come to my place and sleep over man.” Daesung said. “No thanks man. I’ll be fine. Take care, you punks. Be careful on your way home, arasso?” I replied. I started to walk home.

 

I found myself climbing the familiar steps to my apartment. I think it’s a miracle that I have arrived home safe or rather I’ve arrived home at all. I’ve had too much drink tonight thinking it was my day off. I’ve reached the door of my apartment and started to key in my keys. It was odd that I forgot to close the door. I went inside and hurriedly took off my shoes. I rushed straight to the kitchen and started to vomit on the kitchen sink. “Damnit. I shouldn’t have drank so much. What did they put on my dr—“ I started to vomit again. I thought it was not going to stop. As soon as I was a little bit better, I washed my face and undid the button of my polo. I used my polo to wipe my face. “Uhmmm...” I heard a woman’s voice. I slowly turned to look at the person. I blinked my eyes trying to focus my eye sight. “Sir... I think you’ve got the wrong apartment.” She said. I hurriedly looked around and noticed that the place was filed with boxes. “Oh... ...” was the only reply I could say. I made a bow and apologized to her. I started to walk towards the door. I was already out of balance. ‘Damnit. Such great timing.’ I hissed. She hastily took my arm and wrapped it around her shoulders. She was trying to help me walk out. “What’s your apartment number, Sir?” She asked. “I...uh... in number 143B...” I replied as we continued to step out. “Ah! You’re just next door after mine. No wonder you got lost.” She said. I looked at her and her radiant smile was the only thing I could see clearly. “I’m so sorry for barging in when you just moved. My name is Jiyong Kwon, by the way.” We’ve arrived at my apartment door. I started to insert my keys and started to turn the knob. “It’s okay, Sir Kwon. I use to invade someone else' house, too, when I got so drunk. I went straight to their bathroom and vomited.” She started to laugh. I looked at her and smiled. She became quiet and started to blush as she saw me smile. I could’ve sworn I saw her blush, that is. “Thanks for helping me, Miss...?” “Oh! Dara Park... You can call me Dara.” She cheerfully replied. “Thank you so much for your help, Miss Dara.” I made another bow. She started to walk back to her apartment. “Just call me, Dara, Sir Kwon. Nice meeting you. Have a good night, Sir.” She made a bow and hurriedly opened her door. I slowly opened my door. “Nice to meet you, too, Dara. And please, just call me Jiyong.” I smiled at her again. She started to wave her hands and slowly closed her door. I let out a soft chuckle. ‘She’s so adorable.’ I whispered. And for the first time in my life, I slept tight without that annoying repeating dream of my death.

 

I woke up with an awful hangover. I took a shower and washed off the freaking stench of alcohol in my body. As soon as I was done, I prepared my breakfast and a cup of brewed coffee. I heard someone knocking on my door. “Just a minute.” I turned the stove off and hurried to the door. I was surprised that this early in the morning she was already up. She was as beautiful as the first time I saw her when I was heavily intoxicated. “Oh! Good morning. How can I help you today, Dara?” I smiled from ear to ear. “Good morning, Jiyong. I’m just here to give you your shoes back. You forgot to wear them yesterday.” She made her radiant and innocent smile. I slammed a hand on my forehead. “Jinjja?! God! This is so embarrassing. I really am sorry for the trouble.” I hurriedly took my shoes and bowed. “You must’ve thought that I’m such a trouble maker. I really am sorry. I promise I won’t do it again. Do you need anything? I mean. I was just making breakfast and all. Do you want to have breakfast?” I said and offered her to come inside my empty apartment. “It’s no trouble at all. I’m happy that I get to know my neighbors on my first day in the apartment.” She cheerfully replied. She made my heart flutter with every word she utters. ‘What is happening to me? I feel like I’m a little kid, again.’ I thought. “Do you want coffee or toast? Or something? There’s nothing much in my apartment. I live alone and all so I can’t offer much really.” My desperate attempt to redeem myself after such embarrassing first impression on my new beautiful neighbor. She bit her lower lip and looked down. “Well... If you don’t mind... I can have a cup of coffee?...” I was happy to hear she accepted my offer. “Perfect! I just finished brewing my coffee. Come in!” I led her to my dull kitchen and gave her a cup of hot coffee. She seated comfortably beside my small dining table. And to my surprise, we chatted for the whole morning that day. I got to know her better. She was a timid but independent woman. She seemed familiar. I wanted to know her even more.

I went back to sleep after talking to Dara the whole morning. I didn’t want her to leave but she needed to since she had to go to work later that afternoon. She has just started working as an English Teacher at a nearby High School.

I found myself floating in the abyss. It felt like I have nothing. I wanted things to matter. I wish I could do something meaningful with my life.

Meaningful? Like what?

Maybe... Love?

I thought I will never find that love again...

But...

I have finally found her.

This is the second life God has given...

I must fulfill my duty...

My second chance of happiness...

I am hopeful...

I will not lose this chance...

I will not let her go...

I will make things right...

This time...

I only hope...

She would love me back...

And remember me...

Living this life...

One more time...

I will make things right...

And maybe...

Just maybe...

We can spend the rest of our lives...

Together Forever...

‘Jiyong.’

I woke up with the familiar angelic voice and found myself lying in a field of green grass with my head resting on her lap. I could barely see her face behind the bright sun’s glare. But I know...

‘Come to me, my love.’

I woke up and it was already night time. I slept the whole afternoon. “What is up with these weird dreams?” I hissed. I let out a heavy sigh. ‘Don’t tell me...That the girl is...’ I thought. I shook my head of the thought. It’s funny to think that I could actually live a second life. ‘Ridiculous.’ I thought. I grabbed a beer and went out side to get some air. I rubbed a hand at the back of my neck in frustration. The usual dream has died down and now it has been replaced by something else. But the voice... Her voice... Could it be? I sighed again. “Jiyong?” Woah! I just heard her. I must be out of my mind! “Are you okay?” I got startled and looked around and saw Dara at her apartment door. “Oh! Hey! I... didn’t notice you there...” I made a bow and greeted her a good evening. “Are you okay? You seemed bothered. You were staring from a far. You can talk to me if you want.” She said while clutching her grocery bag. “Ani! It’s just some weird dream and all. No need to worry about me.” I let out a nervous chuckle. She wasn’t convinced. “I’ll be back.” She hurried and went inside her house with her groceries. After five minutes, she went back outside and stood beside me in our balcony hall. “Come on. Tell me. What’s this dream of yours?” She asked. I started to rub my hands on the back of my neck. I’ve never told anyone about my dream, specially a stranger. However, she was kind enough and seemed so concerned. And so, I told her about the weird dreams I had been having and how it suddenly changed when I met her.

After I narrated my dreams, I stopped at the part where I died when I looked at her bothered expression. “Don’t take it seriously, though. I mean. It’s just a dream and all. I guess I really need to see a shrink. With all the stress, I think it’s taking a toll on my mind and...” I trailed off as I saw her worried and nervous figure. “What’s wrong, Dara?” She could barely look at me. She was biting her lower lip and fiddling her fingers. “Dara? You alright?” I placed a hand in her shoulder. “I ... Um...” She was stuttering. She shut her eyes and breathed deeply. I made a step back. I clutched the can of beer on my hand as I watch her. She made a nervous laugh. “Mianhe... It’s just that... I’ve been having the same situation... I have this dream... It’s always repeating. Until, I moved here... and...” She stared at her hand. “Jinjja?” I asked. She nodded. “But, it’s a bit different though. Last night, my dream changed. This person... That seemed to be me from another time... Woke up with the sorcerer, tending her. She stood up and tried to find the general. And in the middle of the road, she passed out. Then she woke up again, with the warrior’s head was resting in her lap. She said...” I anticipated her reply. “I mean... I seem to say to him... Jiyong... Come to me, my love...” I was shocked. I mindlessly dropped my the can of beer I was holding. I was speechless. Questions started racing in my mind. I haven’t told her that part of my dream yet. We were silent for a moment. “I... The first time I saw you... in the kitchen.... I was shocked, also. You were vomiting... I couldn’t say a word... Only when you were done vomiting, I was able to gather courage to speak to you. You looked so much like... him...” She tried to fill the awkward silence we were having. I didn’t know how to respond but she continued to talk. “It was surreal... It was like looking at a person that you thought never existed but...” She looked at me for a moment as if I was some kind of a prince charming appearing before her eyes. “But anyway, it’s... It’s some kind of a coincidence, I guess. The dreams will stop... eventually... We... might as well... just leave it behind us... and forget it... I guess...” She stopped. She looked down on her shaking hands. “I don’t...” I tried to speak. She looked up at me with such confused eyes. I swallowed hard and added, “I don’t want to forget it...” I saw her eyes widen. “Maybe... Just maybe... This man is telling me that the person, I am meant to be with, has finally come... That I should seize this moment and capture her heart... and make her... mine... forever...” You know that moment when you are so transfixed with the situation that you start saying nonsensical things. That was the very special moment I would ever have with her. There was no way for me to back down or forget. It was my time. I was reborn for this reason or I believe to be...

Fly High and Live Long, Gray Dragon.

To fly high in many places and obstacles...

And to live long spending my life with her...

My princess...