Chapter 5

The Gray Dragon's Death

The road to the northern kingdom was not an easy path. However, I have somehow arrived. I asked to speak immediately to the Great Northern King and he had acknowledge my presence. I passed by the Northern kingdom’s castle grounds and was greeted by survivors from the Eastern Kingdom. I was glad enough to see some of them lived. “General Gray Dragon, I am happy to see you.” The Great Northern King, King Tablo, greeted me as I have entered his throne hall. I knelt in front of him and he slowly stepped down. “No need to kneel dearest general. I have heard so many great things about you from the survivor’s of the Eastern Kingdom. I am deeply sorry to hear about what had happened to your beloved Eastern Kingdom. There has been chaos and turmoil in the Great Southern Kingdom as you must’ve heard. The Southern King is out and massacring what ever kingdom it can lay it’s eyes upon. I would need your expertise and bring the Southern Kingdom down.” He led me to the dining quarters where soldiers and generals gathered and strategies on defeating the Great Southern King. “I’m sorry if this is too abrupt for you, dear General. However, if we don’t act quick, the Great Northern Kingdom will be next. Though we can definitely put up a fight but I wouldn’t want to risk innocent people’s lives and be harmed in MY kingdom.” He said.

I knew that if I speak of Dara, King Tablo will surely use her as bait and may harm her. I was glad enough to leave her behind. “If you don’t mind me asking General... When the Great Southern soldiers started to attack your kingdom, the people said that you were not there when it happened. Where were you, General?” He sat himself across the long dining table. “I was sent out for a special mission by the lord Yang.” He nodded. “And may I know, what would that be?” He was curious. He was doubting my capabilities. No. He doubt’s my loyalty to the lord Yang himself. Furthermore, he must’ve known about the princess. “We have captured a maiden in the burned kingdom of the west. Lord Yang had violated and impregnated her. It so happens that the maiden was the Great King’s Daughter. She was trying to warn the kingdoms about the Great Southern King’s wrath but no one had listened. I was sent to kill her.” Curiosity marked his facial expression. “And what of it’s outcome? Did the Southern King know of this?” He inquired. “No. The Great Southern King have been clueless about his daughter's deeds. I took her deep in the Eastern forest and have done my duty. I have burned her body and set the ashes to the rushing stream of the east leaving no evidence.” I sternly replied. I needed to lie. I can’t afford risking her life. His loud laugh echoed in the dining halls. “That is what the great General Gray Dragon is made of! I may say the rumors are true. You are not just a war veteran but also a loyal assassin of the Eastern lord. To all honesty, I envied the lord Yang because he has a very skilled general. Fate must be very kind. That in these times of turmoil, you are on our side, is it not right Great General Gray Dragon?” He cheerfully said. I slammed a fist on to my chest. “I swore to the Eastern lord. No. My father that I will bring the Great Southern King down. And that, I will do so with your help Great Northern King Tablo.” He made a smirk. “Then, we shall make the preparation immediately!”

It took us three days to finish all preparations and strategies. I was surrounded by great generals and soldiers from all over the nation. On the fourth day, we set foot towards the Great Southern Kingdom with all one hundred thousand soldiers. At noon we had arrived at the southern kingdom grounds, the Great Southern King’s army was all ready for war. “Pfft. The King sure has foreseen this better than I did.” King Tablo hissed. He started to talk to encourage and prepare the soldiers for battle. I closed my eyes and thought of her one last time. Reminiscing the few days that we have spent together. I only wished that I could see her smile even just once.

‘Fly High and Live Long, Gray Dragon.’

The voice of lord Yang suddenly echoed in my mind. I hastily opened my eyes as I heard the loud hoot of the owl who was flying right above us. The southern kingdom’s soldiers was now on their attacking stance. The owl was flying towards me. I stretched out an arm and it landed on it. The owl was bringing a message. I took out the piece of paper that was tied around it’s leg.

Redeemer, hath thee cometh?’ It wrote. A determined smile marked my face. “Tell the great Southern King. Gēa, I hath cometh.” The owl hastily flew towards the Southern Kingdom. King Tablo shouted and prepared everyone to move forward for an attack.

We started forcing forward, slaughtering any enemies who comes our way. My horse was struck with an arrow and I rolled to the ground. As soon as I got up, I started wielding my sword. I saw how my comrades fell to their death. I was more determined in killing the king. I hastily snuck inside to his castle. As soon as I was already in the castle halls, the owl appeared and landed on the castle’s window. “Are you here to me to the Great Southern King?” It replied with a hoot and started to fly. I followed it. Though I may think that this would be a bad idea but I want to bring the Great Southern King with fairness. I was led to the throne’s hall.

“I’ve waited for you dear, redeemer.” A deep but raspy voice echoed in the halls.

I stood erected in front of him as he sat on his throne as if he was bored. The torches of the hall flickered and I stared at his magnificent form with dark red armor on his body. I thought I saw the war god himself sitting right in front of me. “I don’t know of this redeemer you speak of. But I came to collect the lives you have ruthlessly slaughtered because of your greed with power.” He made a loud laugh. He slowly stood up. He was like a humongous beast. “I don’t think you believe that, do you Great General Gray Dragon?” I was taken aback. How could he know me? “You know better why we stand here in these halls this fateful day.” He said. As he slowly stepped down on his throne stairs. “Yes, I am here to fulfill the prophecy.” I said and heavily gripped on my sword. He made another laugh. “You do understand, that the prophecy will never happen because...” He drew out his sword. “YOU SHALL MEET YOUR DEATH GRAY DRAGON!”

 

 

Sunghyun made a loud shriek as Chanhyuk placed a finger inside his ear. Chanhyuk placed a little old notebook he was reading from and placed it on the table.

“Yah! What’s wrong with you? You're trying to pop my ears out!” Chanhyuk exclaimed. He took a glass of orange juice and a cookie. They were both chilling at Chanhyuk’s living room.

“It’s just that... I don’t want Jiyong to die...” Sunghyun pouted as she was tightly hugging the pillow.

“Baegchi! I’m not even half done with my grandfather’s story yet! Geez! Here, eat this cookie and just listen up.” Chanhyuk placed a cookie inside Sunghyun’s mouth as she happily munched on it.

“Can I continue now?” Chanhyuk exclaimed. Seunghyun nodded. Chanhyuk took the little old notebook owned by his late grandfather and continued reading.