50..

Of Truth and Love

Chahye was busy reviewing. She was going to have a busy day tomorrow. It was her scheduled check up to her psychologist and she had to have a clear mind before she slept. Well, she didn't know if her mind would really be clear when she's done but at least she wouldn't be thinking of her exam on Monday after.

Daejung stepped out to the balcony, talking to someone on his phone  Chahye didn't mind. It must have been one of his friends back at Incheon. When he came back in, he sat on the table with her. He also had to do some homework and it was better to do so with her. He was on their laptop while Chahye was burying her face into her book.

"I'm surprised you didn't go out with your friends tonight," said Daejung.
"I have an appointment with doctor Park tomorrow remember? I don't want to step in front of her with a hangover," she answered.
"She'll kill you," smiled Daejung.
"Oh yes she will," smiled Chahye as she shook her head.
"Psychology and psychiatry are the same things, right?" he asked.
"No. Psychology is the study of the mind. Psychiatry is the practice of curing these states medically," she answered.
"And doctor Park is?" asked Daejung.
"A psychologist. She's helping us understand what's going on in my head. She's been really helpful though," she smiled.
"She's what they call in English, a 'shrink', right?"
"Where did you learn that word?!"
"In one of your English handouts. I read, noona."
"Oh. Then very good."
"I have one question though."
"Yes?"

Daejung turned the laptop around to make Chahye see the screen. He was on Youtube and a video was being buffed.

"Dean hyung already released his album and you don't even look like you've listened to his songs yet," said Daejung.
"Well, I really haven't had time yet," said Chahye putting her pen down.
"Then let's watch," smiled Daejung as he moved his chair beside his sister and started the video.

"Love-love the stars
Love-love the moon

Nothing’s really different
It’s the same air
It’s the same bed
Looking at the same ceiling

Why do I feel so empty
For no reason at all
It’s been a few hours
Since I’ve been spacing out

At first
I thought I was just hungry
No way no way no way

These days
I listen to Kanye’s new album
But it’s just typical

I leave the TV on
But I’m just flipping the channels
But bae, there’s not much meaning

Nothing comes even close
To half of you
It doesn’t fill me up, yeah

If only I had just half of you
Then I wouldn’t feel like this

On a night without you
Even when the moon is up
I can’t see it
It’s hidden by thoughts of you, yeah

Just like you can’t make a fair call
If your heart is slanted
Just because you’re not here
There’s no way I should be like this
But I keep going back to those times

In the place where you used to be
I can see the night sky
That half-full moon
Looks just like me right now

Nothing comes even close
To half of you
It doesn’t fill me up, yeah

If only I had just half of you
Then I wouldn’t feel like this

If tomorrow’s darkness
Takes one bite of the moon
Then our world that we made
Would become smaller too

Only longing will fill it up
After I spend a boring day
When the full moon rises to the sky

When we used to go around
Saying that we were one
I didn’t know it’d be so clear
That you are you and I am me
It feels like our time to think is up

If more time passes, I can’t ask you to come back
Just like Don Quixote
I’m crazily dreaming of your love
If only I can see your eyes
I would be able to fill up my empty heart

Nothing comes even close
To half of you
It doesn’t fill me up, yeah

If only I had just half of you
Then I wouldn’t feel like this

Love-love the stars
Love-love the moon
Nothing comes even close
To half of you
It doesn’t fill me up, yeah

If only I had just half of you
Then I wouldn’t feel like this
If only
"

"Well... That was... Lovely," said Chahye as the video ended.
"Do you know if he wrote that for you?" asked Daejung as he moved his chair back across the table.
"How should I know?" she asked.
"I don't know. You two are dating. And musicians often talk about their own experiences in their songs. And Dean hyung is a very talented artist," answered Daejung going back to typing on the laptop.
"But what if it's not me?" asked Chahye.
"Who else then? Is he involved in any other girl than you?" grinned her brother.
"You little dweeb. Are you gossiping about me and Dean to your friends?!" said Chahye as she kicked his knee from under the table.
"Ouch," groaned Daejung. "I don't talk about you to others. We promised the hyungs we'll keep our mouth shut. But if you do get together with Dean hyung, I'm sure to brag," he continued with a smile.
"Why do you even like him?" asked Chahye raising an eyebrow at him.
"Because he's cool. And he takes care of you. And he's friends with Jiho hyung and Hyoseob hyung," he answered. "I don't really care who you end up with as long the guy can take care of you and understand you. And Dean hyung pretty much matches those criteria," he said smiling.

Chahye just smiled and shook her head. She went back to her reading as she thought about the song. Daejung was nice enough to play the song on background and on repeat and it slowly sank into her head. "If only I had just half you, then I wouldn't feel this way," the song rang in her head. Dean always seemed to be the jolly type of person. When did he write this? Chahye asked herself. But just then, her phone rang. It was a message from Dean.

"Look out. What do you see?"

Chahye did so and all she saw was the dark sky.

"It's already dark outside," she typed.

She picked up her pen to take notes when her phone rang again. This time, a call. "Who is that?" asked Daejung rather irritably.

"It's Dean," she answered.

"What did that mean?!" asked Dean from the other line.
"What?!"
"Your answer!"
"What?! It's already dark outside..."
"Didn't you even stand up and go out or something?"
"No. Why should I? I'm studying."
"Aish. Come down."
"Huh?! Why?!"
"I'm right in front of your building. Come down."
"Okay. Wait."

Dean ended the call. And even though she was hesitant to come down, she walked over to their room and took a jacket off their rack. She told Daejung she would only take a while and he said yes. As she came down, she felt a sudden fast beating of her heart. Was she getting excited to see Dean at this hour? Why?

She shook the thought out of her head and went out. And there was Dean in a big jacket, leaning on his car door. He saw her approach and a wide smile traced itself on his lips. Chahye gave one back to him. She saw it again, the light, the glow that comes from his angelic face. Deep inside, it made her heart flutter and she liked how it felt.

"Why are you here?!" she asked.
"I wanted to see you," he answered.
"So, what's with the question?" she asked.
"I wanted you to see the moon tonight," he said.
Chahye looked up. She saw the moon. "It's a half moon tonight," she said. "And aren't the stars out. Lovely."
"Exactly," smiled Dean as he looked up as well.
Chahye looked back at him and smiled as she saw his smile. Why was he so perfect sometimes? "You want to go to the rooftop? The view is better up there," she suggested.
"Sure. That would be nice," smiled Dean.

The two remained silent as they walked up to the building's rooftop, after climbing 6 floors. It was cold that night but just right to spend some time outside. They walked over to the edge and both looked up.

"I've watched and listened to your new song, by the way," said Chahye digging her hands inside her jacket's pockets deeper.
Dean looked down at her and asked, "Really? So... Did you like it?"
"You were right... I think I'll like this song more," she said smiling and turning around to look down at the parking lot below.
"Didn't I tell you?" laughed Dean as he leaned on his arms right beside her.
"Aren't you growing tired of us always hiding from everyone else? Of us being sweet but not really in a relationship?" Chahye asked.
"Honestly?" asked Dean and she nodded. "I'm growing tired of it. But I like the excitement, the thought of doing something not everyone would like," he answered with a smile.

Chahye was looking at him smile to himself. She thought that if she was in front of a mirror, she would see the same smile from her own lips. She turned around and jumped on the concrete, sitting on it. "Give me your hand, ami," said Chahye as Dean watched her. He did as he was told and he was now standing in front of her, his left hand in her right.

"Is it true what you said in the song? That not having me is like half of your heart taken away?" she asked.
"Even more than that, Chahye," he answered.

Chahye reached Dean's cheek with her left hand and brushed her fingers against his cheek, all the while, Dean closing his eyes. "Please listen to me, Hyuk," she said as he opened his eyes.

"I don't know if this is love, Dean. I just don't know. All this while, I thought I already loved Oh Hyuk. I guess I did. I remember when I first met him. We were in the same class but we never talked. He sat across the room from me. I was the famous and smart girl in school. Hyuk was smart, too, but his friends were...well, let's just say that they weren't in the same class as us. Until one day, I was staring at him... Hyuk always had this angelic thing about him that made him look like he was glowing. And I loved it about him.

"I was staring at him almost all day at class and he turned around and our eyes met. Rather than those moments when people look away when someone they like looks at them, we continued staring at each other. And it felt so good. After that day, he started waiting for me when class ended and we talked. He never talked so much but he always made me smile. His house that time was at the same neighborhood as mine so we usually went home together. That way, I got to know him more. Time passed by and he made me meet his friends. That's when I met Mino, Jihoon, Hyeontae, Hyunjae and the others. You can say that ever since, my life turned totally upside down. I finally had friends. I finally had people to talk to, people I could trust. But Hyuk was different.

"I always felt so happy with him. He would usually watch me practice dancing and he would always practice the guitar with me. He sang to me numerous beautiful songs. It felt a lot different when he finally met Daejung. Daejung adored him. Ever since he came into my life, it was like a new me was born. Daejung started to talk to me. I started having friends. I learned how to have fun, sincere fun. I started being me and talked as if I had no problem in the world.

"But it wasn't totally different. Even though I loved Hyuk, and I knew I did... I know I loved him... I still found it hard to trust people with everything about me. I never told Hyuk my secrets. Jiho did. He told all of his friends. Even if he doesn't tell me, I know everyone knows. I appreciate it though, having these people around me who know my story and understand me and always looking out for me. But I wanted to have this one person I can cry to whenever I wanted to. Someone I could laugh along with as I share my sometimes disgusting peeves. Someone I could just stare into their eyes and feel complete. I never felt that with Hyuk. I wanted to... But it was too selfish of me to ensure my life with Hyuk when I know he couldn't handle it. We were just kids and I know he wouldn't be able to help me. What if he suddenly lets go of me when the going finally gets really rough? I can't risk our relationship and I certainly couldn't risk his self just trying to understand me when I don't even know what was happening to myself.

"I broke up with him with a heavy heart. But I never stopped loving him. He was still the same Hyuk to me as he has always have been. But five years later, I already lost the desire to have him in my life. Five years later, Hyuk was already living a life he always dreamed to have. And I'm happy for him. And here I am. Alone. Still trying to understand myself and the world. I was never complete. I never thought I would be. But you know what?" she asked looking down at him.

"What?" asked Dean softly as he moved his hand onto her waist. Here she was again, talking, telling him things he thought he wouldn't be able to hear, things he thought she would always have bottled up in her heart.

"You know that fuzzy feeling when you meet someone you like? That joy? That satisfaction? That contentment and peace? I felt that again, Dean. And even though I didn't believe it... Even though I'm trying my hardest to not admit that it is... I felt it once again and I never have I been happier. I felt it with you.

"You have that same angelic face as Hyuk, that glow, that peace in your eyes. But along with it was happiness, youth, a carefree spirit... All of which I never felt. I look at you smile and I feel like the heavens is right beside me. You talk to me and I feel like a ball of light embraces me and I'm at peace. And I love it. I love looking at you. I love feeling your arms around me. I love it when you hold my hand. I love it when you kiss me. I love it when you tell me that everything's going to be all right because for once, I finally believed that everything will be all right. You drive me crazy, Kwon Hyuk. I tried my best to avoid you but everything about you draws me even more to you. My life turned upside down when you came in the picture. My life that's been filled with too much hidden secrets, too much fear and too much hesitation is now a life that I'm not afraid to live anymore. I experienced dancing on stage. I never did that before! I was always so scared. I experienced drinking like I'm a broke and I'm not! I had the chance to hide and do crazy things with you, away from everyone else's eyes. I don't do that. I don't even like seeing people kiss in public but we do it. I usually don't break the rules because I'm such a good girl but see? We're hiding from your manager and we know that he could kick me out of work if he ever catches us together. But I don't care. 

"Some of my problems have already ended, Dean. And maybe that's the reason why I feel more carefree. Maybe that's why I think I can love someone already... That finally I could trust someone with my life because finally, they don't have to shoulder the same darkness I had before. Thank you. Thank you for listening to me, for making me cry when I feel like it, for looking after my brother and supporting him, for accepting my friends and the state of my life right now. Thank you for being a person my cousins and bestfriend trust. Thank you for being there when I try to push you away. You are such a jerk and I know you know that. But thank you for not giving up on me," she said as she held his cheeks in both of her hands.

"You're welcome, Chahye. I will always try to be there for you," answered Dean as he looked up at her.

"When did you write Half Moon, ami?" she asked.

"I wrote that two days after you stopped talking to me, days after we had ," he answered looking at her. "I always wanted you, Chahye. Back then, it was just lust. I mean... Look at you. Beautiful. y. Kind. But something else made me want you more. I wanted to know you more. If I only knew at least half of who you were, if only I had at least half of your heart.  And I guess, after some time, I got to do that. I know your heart is divided between everyone else. Your family, Crush hyung, Oh Hyuk-ssi, your dreams, your past and your friends. I'm good with all of the competition as long as I know I have at least half you," said Dean as he reached for her face, brushing his palm over her cheek.

They stared at each other, hands held together, the other on each other's cheek. Dean didn't know what this confession means but he was just happy that she has once again opened up to him. That alone makes him satisfied. She is a complicated character and he's willing to work hard to understand her, no matter what he would discover in the end. 

In the cold breeze of the night, Chahye felt warm and happy. Should she finally say it? Should she finally admit the desires of her heart? She knew she wouldn't regret it. And even if things wouldn't work out good in the end, she still would be happy that she was brave enough to turn her life around.

"Ami..." she hummed.
"Yes, ami...." said Dean as he leaned closer to her.
"Would you believe me if I said this?" she asked as she leaned closer to him, their noses almost touching.
"What is it?" he asked mentally trying to prepare himself from anything else she would say.
"I... I... What if we make it a full moon instead? My half and your half?" she said.
"What.... What do you mean?" asked Dean as he leaned back, his eyebrows scrunched up together.
"I mean," she started taking his cheek in her hand again. "Yes. You can have half of me already. Even maybe more than that," she said with a smile. "I love you."