40..

Of Truth and Love

Dean and Millic entered the pub and didn't see Hyunjae's dad at the bar where he usually was everyday. They ran towards the back of the hall, Offonoff right behind them. The door was open and they stepped inside, looking down at the stage.

"Woah. What is this place?" said 0channel as he looked down and everywhere. The spiral staircase that spread at the sides of the hall. The chandelier hanging from the high ceiling. The sound of a faint acoustic guitar playing from below. It felt like they where transported 30 years back in time.

The band heard the running upstairs and saw Dean and his friends looking down at them. Inwoo smiled and greeted them, "Yo!". The high school boys bowed to them, too.

"Inwoo-ah," said 0channel as he leaned on the railings.
"Who are they?" asked Colde as he saw the group of boys.
"Come down and meet them," said Hyunjae. "They're our students."

Daejung looked up to Dean and his friends. He recognized Millic. He brought him there once. But the other two, he didn't. And somehow, seeing Dean with his friends didn't sit well with him. Hyuk caught eyes with Dean and didn't like how he was scanning the whole place when he was in and out of the hall multiple times already. Millic nudged Dean and they spoke through their eyes. Chahye wasn't there.

Hyuk removed his guitar and placed it next to Minchan who sat on the stage floor with his own guitar. He stood up and walked towards the stairs as Dean and his friends came down. Donggeun was right behind him. Daejung watched as the two groups collected at the foot of the stairs.

"What's up?" Hyuk greeted his fellow HIGHGRND members.
"What is this?" asked Colde as he shook hands with him and Donggeun.
"We're teaching friends how to play some instruments," he answered.
"Does Tablo hyungnim know about this?" asked 0channel.
"He doesn't really need to know," smiled Hyuk.
"We're doing this as a little hobby and get-together, especially when we don't have anything else to do," said Donggeun.
"It's cool," said Colde.
"What brings you here, by the way?" asked Hyuk looking at Dean.
Millic looked at Dean and knew he wouldn't be answering the question. "We think Chahye's here, followed Daejung and his friends," he said. 
"She saw the boys," said Dean worriedly.

Hyuk and Donggeun quickly looked at each other and back to the other members of the band. Since they were in a big enclosed area, they heard them talk even in whispers, echoes bringing the conversation to everyone's ears. Hyunjae pursed his lips then looked at Inwoo who stood up from the drums to approach his friends. Daejung, who has been watching them intently, felt the sudden rise of tension between their hyungs. He put his guitar down and stood up as he dusted his pants. 

"Noona... is here?" Daejung said anxiously.
"We... We don't know. We thought she was," said Dean, later introducing Daejung to OffonOff.
"She called your name and she started following you," said 0channel.
"I didn't see her. I didn't even notice anyone following us," said Daejung. He looked back at his friends and asked if they did.
Eunshil and Chulwoo nudged the other boys to look up and whispered among each other. Minchan, the youngest of them, was actually looking up the stairs and had his mouth open. "Daejung hyung," he said getting everyone else's attention. "Are you looking for her?" he said pointing upwards.

Everyone looked up. Inwoo and Hyunjae's mouth fell open as they looked up. The two looked at each other then back at Hyuk and the others. Chahye was standing there, leaning against the railings, a smug expression on her face. She wasn't smiling but she wasn't frowning either. Hyukoh knew very well what that expression of hers meant. She was angry. She seldom came to this state but they knew very well how she would fair under such circumstances.

"Chahye..." called Hyuk.
"Noona," said Daejung taking a step back when he realized his sister's gaze was on him.
"What is happening?" asked Chulwoo.

Dean pushed the kid aside and ran for the stairs but Hyuk caught his arm, shaking his head as if to warn him. But he didn't understand what he meant and still ran up to Chahye. She didn't look at him, neither did he know if she realized he was already right next to him. Millic and Offonoff followed him.

"Chahye... You got me worried," said 0channel.
"Chahye... We were looking for you," said Dean as he stepped closer.

She didn't give them much attention. Her stare was locked with her brother, her anger filling her up, knowing she would explode at any moment. Inwoo and Hyunjae walked over to Hyuk and insisted he go up and try to calm Chahye down. Hyuk knew he wouldn't be able to do anything but still walked up cautiously, Daejung following him.

She saw them and instantly rolled her eyes as she felt too offended. She knew exactly what was going on inside that hall. It was Hyunjae and Inwoo's dream to be able to use this hall for good after Hyunjae's dad decided to stop holding shows in it. The instruments downstairs and the kids, including her brother meant that they were teaching them. Hyuk always told her before that he wanted to become like a hero to kids, to the new generation just like how they looked up to the bands they idolized back then. But why hide it to her? The fact that her brother was in this?

Dean reached for Chahye's shoulder but she just shrugged and her heel, walking outside of the hall. Hyuk, and Daejung hurriedly followed her outside. "Chahye, wait... Where are you going?" called Dean.

Hyuk pushed past Dean but Daejung was quick to get past both of them. They followed Chahye into the main pub. As Daejung got hold of Chahye's wrist, he pulled her back to turn around and look at him. But as Chahye twirled, a hand traveled around and a cold palm hit his cheek. And as if a ghost passed by, everyone fell quiet. The mouths from all the Hyukoh members opened in surprise. Dean stepped back when he saw Chahye's eyes flaming with anger. It was so obvious, even Millic had to step behind him.

Daejung was shocked and kept his head down in shock. He was never hurt by anyone from their family. Never in his imagination did he think his sister would do it to him either.

"So this is what you do everyday?!" asked Chahye between gritted teeth. "You're spending time in this pub, learning whatever instrument you think you can learn?! Is this what you do?!" she started screaming. "You do this everyday, with me... waiting at home, wondering where you are... cooking you food and waiting for you to come home... hoping that you'll like what I prepared... hoping that you're in good hands. This is what you do... AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME!" she shouted grabbing Daejung's collar to face her.

Hyuk rushed to Chahye's side and grabbed her arms away from Daejung. As calm as he could, he told her to let him go. Chahye didn't look at him but took her arm away from his. 

"I should have known that you were already teaching him," she said. "You always did sided with him," she said finally looking at Hyuk. She caught a glimpse of Dean who was now standing next to Daejung. "This is how you two met, huh?" she said directing the question at Dean. "And no one even bothered to tell me. What the do you guys think I am?" she cursed. "What other secrets are all of you hiding from me huh?!"

Daejung lifted his head and reached for his sister's arm. "Noona. Don't be mad at them. I told them not to tell you," he said. "I thought you wouldn't understand."

"I wouldn't understand?! What I don't understand is how you goddamn managed to hide this from me! What exactly am I to you, Daejung?! Do I even matter to you?!" she asked. She waited for him to answer. But he didn't. 

She snatched her arm away from Hyuk and looked at him. She glared at him but he only was able to look at her with worry. She looked back at Daejung and Dean who both could only avoid her stare. She turned around and walked out of the pub. No one dared to follow her, not even Hyuk.

"What are we all standing here for?!" asked Millic. "Shouldn't someone be following her?"
"That's not supposed to be us," said Donggeun looking at Daejung.

That afternoon, Eunji told Dean that Chahye didn't come for practice and that she wasn't answering her phone. Dean had to confess to Eunji and Minhwan during their rooftop party that he was pursuing Chahye. They both promised not to talk about it until Dean was pretty sure so whenever she was involved in anything, they would tell him or ask him, knowing that he would probably know a thing or two about it. Dean knew very well why and it made him worry.

He went over to Zico's studio, just like every week that. When he arrived, only Crush was there, wiping the table near the couch.

"Where's Zico?" asked Dean.
"He went to the comfort room. He hit his coffee cup and it splattered all over his shirt," answered Crush as he stood up, the rug in his hand. "He might need to have the carpet cleaned though," he said pointing to the carpeted floor below the table.
"Too bad. But at least it's gonna smell like coffee in here," said Dean as he took the swivel chair near the computer.

Crush and Dean haven't been back to their "brother" relationship since their fight. There was no use fighting anyway when they both knew they would always be seeing each other. They talk and laugh when they're in a group but fall awkward when it's just the two of them. At least they're back to good speaking terms. Lastly, they didn't want Chahye to know that they fought. It would only makes things worse for Crush's friendship with her and Dean's courtship.

"So," started Crush as he came back from the small wash area behind the recording door. "I heard Chahye found out about Daejung," he said.
"Huh?! Daejung?" asked Dean in surprise.
"Daejung and him training at Hyunjae-ssi's pub?" said Crush noticing how surprised Dean was. "I know about it, Dean. Hyuk told me. He tells me things," he said.
"Oh. Right. You guys are friends," sighed Dean.
"Not really. I never knew Hyuk not until they broke up. Remember? I loved Chahye, too. He was competition," said Crush sitting on the couch. "So... How was it? How did Chahye react?"
"I don't know actually," said Dean. "She left after slapping Daejung across the face."
"Wait, she slapped Daejung?!" asked Crush in surprise.
"Yeah. And a good one, too. The kid's face turned red."
"Woah. Chahye hurting him is unheard of. This is a first. She never ever wanted to hurt that kid."
"I know. She loves him. I never thought someone would get mad just because you didn't tell them you're practicing the guitar."
"Well, yeah. I think Chahye was mad at something else. I don't know. Hyuk didn't tell me that part."
"I hope she's okay though."
"What do you mean? Shouldn't you know if she's all right? She has dance rehearsals earlier, right?"
"She does. But she never came today. I was up at my studio. Eunji noona and Minhwan hyung told me before they left."
"Oh. So she ran away again."
"Ran away?"
"Yeah. She definitely went to Han River to release her stress. She always goes there when she's mad. The water relaxes her."
"But... Isn't it dead cold there now?"

Just then, the door opened and in came Zico in a black shirt. He was holding a white shirt in his hands and greeted Dean. "How do you clean coffee stains?" he asked. "Because this is too much," he said as he closed the door behind him.

Dean looked at his watch and saw that it was almost 8 in the evening. "I wonder..." he thought.

He then stood up and dashed to the door, opening it. "I remember I needed to do something. I won't be back. See you tomorrow!" shouted Dean as he ran outside and down to his car. Zico and Crush just stared at each other.