28..

Of Truth and Love

Dean woke up after an hour. Waiting for Chahye caused him to doze off as he turned the radio on in his car. It was already past 12. She should be done by now. How long does getting your schedule and paying for your tuition supposed to be? He sent her a message but didn't answer. He tried to call her but she wasn't picking up. Feeling irritated at her ignoring him, he got out of the car and walked over to the main building's stairs, trying to find her beneath the crowd of students and parents. He pulled his hoodie up to his head to avoid attention. Luckily, it worked.

He was looking for Chahye but he saw someone else in the crowd, walking down the steps towards him.

"Shin Jihye!" he called out pulling his hood off.
The girl heard and saw him. fell open and tilted her head to the side. "Dean oppa?" she said as she approached him. "Oh my god. You are Dean oppa," she said covering .
"Hey, how are you?" Dean greeted. They weren't close but Crush once brought Jihye to his studio so they know each other.
"I'm all good. What are you doing here?" asked Jihye.
Dean approached her and talked in a lower voice. "I was... I was looking for someone," he said.
"Who? Jiho oppa? He's done with enrollment an hour ago," she said knowing who he might be looking for.
"No. I'm... I'm not looking for Jiho. I'm looking for someone else. Maybe you know," said Dean.
"Well, I'm not really that popular here and I obviously wouldn't know everyone. But go ahead. Ask away," she said.
"Do you know Jiho's cousin? Jin Chahye?" he asked.
"Chahye eonnie? Yes. I know her," she said. "Do you know her?"
"Uhm... Yeah. Sort of. Do you know where she is?" he asked.
"She's already gone. She finished enrollment about an hour ago," said Jihye.
"An... An hour ago?!" said Dean in surprise.
"Yes. Chahye eonnie is a scholar and they have their own line and they get prioritized so they don't need to stay that long, unlike us normal students," said Jihye.
"Where do you think she is right now?" asked Dean.
"Probably having lunch with Hyoseob oppa. He fetched her today. He always does," answered Jihye.
"Hyo-Hyoseob hyung?" said Dean surprised, a growing annoyance creeping into his mind.
"Yes. You do know they're bestfriends, right? Oppa always takes her out. They should really just date already, you know," smiled Jihye.
"I... I see," said Dean faking a smile. "You... Why didn't you go with them?" he asked.
"I wouldn't want to disturb my brother as he spends time with his love, you know," laughed Jihye. "Although I'm not sure if it works on Chahye eonnie but still... She gives my oppa too many smiles to make me want to disturb them. And besides, I have art classes to go to this afternoon so I couldn't come," she explained.
"I see... Thanks for telling me," smiled Dean. "I think I'll go now. See you around, Jihye."
He already turned around and walked away when Jihye called him. "Why do you know her? Chahye eonnie?" she said.
Dean looked around and hesitated to answer. "I... Your oppa introduced her to me," he lied.
"Then why didn't you know my brother fetches her from school?" she asked.
"I... I just thought he wouldn't," he lied again.
They both stared at each other. Dean knew Jihye realized he was lying. "If you like Chahye eonnie, you should do better than my brother," she said. "It took him 3 years before she finally trusted him. And everyday always seems to be a struggle for him. She never opens up. Not even to Jiho oppa and Jisuk oppa. My brother has told me a lot about you. Please don't play with her. Please don't hurt her."
"I don't plan to do that."
"Then good. You have to be aware that if you hurt her, you're gonna be against too many people. And that includes me."
"Since you seem to know a lot about her, why don't you tell me? What is Chahye's problem?"
"That's not for me, or anyone, to tell you. If Chahye eonnie doesn't tell you, then that means she doesn't trust you. That means she doesn't love you. And that means you should stop pursuing her. I don't care who she ends up with, but certainly, I want it to be my brother."
"I understand."
"Before I go, just to help you out," said Jihye clenching her fist onto the strap of her bag. She looked back up at him and kept his stare. "I shouldn't be saying this, but maybe it could finally help Chahye eonnie and everyone else."
"What do you mean?" said Dean.
"If you really want her, you should learn about the main people in her life. There's my brother, her listening ear and bestfriend," she said counting with her fingers, showing it to him. "Then there are her cousins, her saviors. Her brother is her only treasure. Then there's her angel, her partner in taking care of her treasure."
"Oh Hyuk?" he asked.
Jihye just smiled. "I guess you learned about one of them already. That's good. But there's a sixth person," she said, dropping the smile on her face.
"Who is it?" asked Dean.
"The monster..."

~

"We know who it is. But we never told her we knew. It's too dark and heavy. If she ever tells you about it then you're lucky. But unless you're ready to carry the same weight she has on her shoulders, just stop getting too involved with her."

Jihye's words rang in his head as he drove to Zico's studio. The way they've been talking to him, Zico, Crush, that man in the suit, Oh Hyuk, Jihye, they all made it seem like Chahye was hiding a deep, dark secret. All of it just fueled his curiosity even more. But Chahye isn't even showing signs of wanting to tell him about it. It's crazy, he thought.

He parked his car and huffed as the engine died. In the back of his mind, he wanted to stop. Chahye was trying to make him believe she doesn't like him. Why should he pursue her then? There were a lot of other girls out there willing enough to be his girl. But why her? And he knew the answer. He loved her. Whatever the reason, he wasn't sure. He just knew that he wanted her all to himself. The way she smiles, the way she holds his arms, the way she calls his name, the way she glares at him, the way she cries, the way she hugs him, the way she shouts at him, all of the things she does to him, he wants it all to himself. Whenever he closes his eyes, all he sees is her, smiling, happy. But Chahye tried to push him away. Is it because of that secret? Or is it because of something else? Someone else?

Dean got off his car and went inside the building, straight into Zico's personal studio. They were supposed to meet today, he said. Before he put his hand on the door, he thought about how to approach him. He knew Chahye wouldn't have told her cousins about what happened to them. But what if she did? What if that was the reason he wanted to see him?

"No, that can't be it," Dean told himself.

He turned the handle open and was welcomed by Staytuned in the studio.

"Hyung," he greeted.
"Hey, you're early. The two haven't arrived yet," said Staytuned.
"R-Really?" said Dean finally being able to breathe properly.
"Yeah. Why? Were you expecting them?" asked Staytuned turning in his seat. "Zico said he'll bring Taewoon along."
"Taewoon hyung?" said Dean sitting on the couch, taking the space near the door. "That is not good," he told himself, mentally slapping himself. What was he supposed to do if Taewoon knew?
"Yeah. Taewoon wanted Zico to listen to that new song of his before he decides to put it on a mixtape," explained Staytuned. He turned in his seat to face the computer once again. "Crush said he was still with his bestfriend, having lunch."
"Bestfriend?"
"Yes. Haven't you met her yet? She's a girl. Zico's cousin."
"Oh... Uhm... I..."
"You should meet her. She's cool. Has the same eyes as her cousins. I think Crush would bring her along."
"Do you... know her?"
"Just enough to know her name and where she lives. She hasn't spent much time with them since she started college. But they go out to lunch or dinner sometimes."
"Have you ever spent time with her?"
"Me? Are you talking about just me and her? No. I don't remember. But Zico did say she was a bit awkward to people she didn't know. And she is. She used to not talk to Loco. And he's a pretty nice guy. She just started talking to him when Crush explained they were friends."

Suddenly, as they talked, the door to the studio opened. Dean tried to avoid the door from hitting his arm as it swung open. He saw the person's back and he instantly knew who it was.

Chahye came walking in wearing a smile on her face. "Staytuned oppa!" she greeted.
Staytuned turned to look at her and Dean saw a sudden glow in his face. "Hey Chahye! It's been a while," he said.
"It is. Seobbie oppa is outside, smoking. He asked you to come out," she walking forward.
"Okay. I will then," answered Staytuned standing up. "By the way, Chahye, this is Dean," he said pointing at him on the couch. From the door, Chahye turned around and saw him. He raised an arm hesitantly to greet her. "He's famous. Feel at home, Chahye," said Staytuned walking out of the studio.

And it was just the two of them again. Chahye couldn't look at him straight. She took her bag from her back and hesitantly placed it on the floor beside the small table. Dean saw the hesitancy in her eyes and actions.

"Isn't it amazing how we're in one place right now?" said Dean, leaning his chin on his hand resting on the arm of the couch, admiring her honest beauty. She didn't answer. "Aren't you going to apologize? I waited for you for two hours?" he continued remembering how irritated he was after realizing she's already left. "I called you. I texted you..."
"I told you not to wait, didn't I?" said Chahye.
"Why not answer the ing phone then?" said Dean slightly raising his voice. "It's easy to tell me no or off your life, you know," he said.
"I was busy, okay?" answered Chahye.
"Busy? Busy?!" said Dean standing up. "Busy with what?! With Crush?!" he shouted in her face, the distance between them growing short.
"Yes. I was with Hyoseob. What do you care?!" said Chahye.
"I care because that should have been me! I should have been the guy to take you out for lunch! I care because I'm jealous! I care because I don't want you with anyone else but me!" shouted Dean.
"I don't like you, okay?!" shouted Chahye. "Whatever I do, you don't have to worry about it!"
"How hard is it to understand that I like you?! I love you! And I know you feel the same way so stop fronting!" he shouted back.
"I'm not fronting! I just really don't care! So leave me alone, Dean," she said taking a step sidewards to get her bag. She wanted to just get out and leave him.

But Dean grabbed her arm and made her look back at him. Chahye didn't fight back. She knew he was pissed off and she knew it was her fault. She expected him to shout at her after their eyes met. But he didn't. His grip on her arm loosened just as his other arm sneaked its way to her waist, their bodies now against each other. Even the annoyance in his eyes slowly disappeared. She felt her heart beat fast. But rather than be scared and nervous, Chahye liked it. She liked how excited she was starting to become, as if her heart beat in the same rhythm as his, both their breaths lingering in between them.

After staring at her for what seemed like minutes, he left his lips crashing into hers. And as if she expected it, Chahye closed her eyes at contact. He was kissing her sloppily, afraid that she might hold back. But she didn't. Dean raised his hand to touch her cheek, moving towards the back of her neck, pushing her deeper into their kiss. It may just be lust. It may just be a spur of the moment. But Dean continued to indulge her, hearing her whimper as his tongue found its way to hers. Chahye raised her arms and tangled it around his neck, allowing him more access. Both of his hands now rested on her waist, pulling her closer to his body. His hands were dying to touch her everywhere. Chahye's hands came down to his shoulders just as Dean pulled back from her lips and started tracing sweet kisses from her chin, her jaw, right down to the bottom of her ear.

But as Chahye felt his hot breath near her neck, she started pushing Dean away, her hands on his chest. "No... Stop," she said just as the first kiss landed on the crook of her neck. There was a second... A third... Chahye mustered up all her energy and pushed Dean away, finally being able to get his hands off her waist. "That's... That's enough," she said catching her breath.
Dean was catching his breath as well, but grinned then took her hand into his. "You seemed to like that so much," he said taking a step forward.
"I...I.... S-Someone could have seen us," she said taking her hand away from his.
"And you said you didn't like me... How come I heard you moan for me?" teased Dean as he took a step closer.
This time, Chahye took a step back, avoiding getting into closer distance with him. "That... That was just..," she tried to say before she felt her leg hit the chair Staytuned was on.
Dean grabbed her arm once again and pulled her close, his other hand holding her face, his thumb raising her chin to look at him. "I swear, Jin Chahye. With the way you make me feel, I could have ed you up again right here," he said seering his eyes into hers. Chahye was only able to gulp in her saliva, not knowing what Dean could do to her. Why wasn't she scared? Why wasn't she pushing him away like what she used to do?

" her up? Again?" a voice said from behind Dean. He turned around and horror struck him. Chahye was only able to see the person when Dean turned around. "You ed her before? Is that what you mean?"

It was Taewoon, his hand still on the door handle. Zico was right behind him, both of their mouths hung open. Only difference was, Taewoon's fist were already clenched, too hard they almost turned out red.

"Hyung... I..." said Dean, trying to muster up courage as he saw the brothers glaring at him.
"Oppa," Chahye said softly, taking a step forward, wanting to protect Dean.
"When was the first time, Dean? When did it start to get so hot?" said Taewoon walking towards them.
"Oppa... Stop... I can explain," said Chahye her hands already in front of her.
"I want to hear it from him," said Taewoon not even looking at her. Zico pulled Chahye away from his brother who was now standing in front of Dean. "When did it happen? Friday night? Where? Inside her room?" he said throwing questions from everywhere.
Crush and Staytuned appeared from behind Zico and quickly realized what was happening. Dean saw them arrive. With a smirk on his face, Dean answered. "Yeah. Friday. In her apartment. On her bed. And it was damn fine," he said proudly, intentionally wanting to see how Crush would react.
"You really have the guts to say that to my face?!" gnarled Taewoon, taking him by his shirt's collar.
"Yeah. I have the guts. I'm not scared. I started this. And I obviously liked it. Maybe Chahye as well," he said.
"Shut the up, Dean!" shouted Crush.
"Liked it?!" said Taewoon gnarling his teeth.
Dean smiled as if to tease Taewoon. He stood straight and leaned close saying, "She loved it."

And that's where it struck. Taewoon's face turned red and with all force, his fist came in contact with Dean's face, making him fall hard onto the floor. He raised his head, tracing his thumb across his lips where blood was starting to clot at its tip. Chahye shouted for her cousin to stop. Zico and the others just watched them. Taewoon charged at Dean again, grabbing his collar and pulling him back up. But Dean pushed him away.

"STOP CONTROLLING YOUR COUSIN!" shouted Dean, not afraid to charge at Taewoon. But before he could come any closer, Taewoon once again hit his face. He was able to balance himself but the older once again grabbed his collar.
"I'm not controlling my cousin. I'M PROTECTING HER!" he shouted. "I'm protecting her from jerks like you!"
Chahye released herself from Zico's hold and went to Taewoon, trying to take his arm off of Dean. "Oppa. Stop," she said.
"You think having is great?! Have you even asked her if she liked it?! Did you see her cry after that night?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?!" Taewoon continued to shout.
"I don't care about her past okay? I LOVE HER AND THAT'S ALL I KNOW!" shouted Dean back.
"How can you say you love her when you can't even understand how she acts now?!" said Taewoon trying to relax a bit after hearing his cousin's voice beside him.
"Oppa! STOP!" shouted Chahye, a tear forming in her eyes. "Please... Don't..." she said hugging his arm even tighter. Gritting his teeth, Taewoon released Dean. This made Chahye hug him, trying to keep him away from Dean. "Oppa... Please... That's enough," she cried in his chest.
"I want to understand her, you know," said Dean.
"And you actually think ing her would make her talk? Making her drunk and sit in the palm of your hands? It's not that easy," said Taewoon trying to relax himself.
"Oppa, please..." said Chahye now gripping onto his shirt tight. "Stop..."
"I'm serious man. I love your cousin. All I want is for you all to understand that she can trust me," said Dean.
"How are we supposed to do that after what you did?" said Zico speaking up. Dean opened his mouth to retaliate but was unable to speak up. Zico was right. 
"I don't care who you are, Dean. You lay a finger on my cousin again and I'm killing you. You got that?" warned Taewoon shoving him aside, making Chahye let him go.

She stayed there standing, back against Dean, crying as her head hung low. Taewoon glared at Dean one last time then stormed out. Dean tried to reach her hand but she pulled it away, following her cousin outside. Crush followed her. Staytuned stayed at the door ruffling his hair and pacing over.

Zico looked at Dean with a glare, but not as burning as his brother's. "I thought I could trust you with her, Hyuk. I warned you. You disgust me. And my brother really hates you so keep that warning," he said before walking away, following Taewoon and the others outside.