39..

Of Truth and Love

It was Friday. Chahye has already survived the first week of the new semester. Byul, Jihye and Jiho had different schedules from her so they hardly ever had lunch together or meet up at the university. Hyoseob was busy today as well and Chahye had to travel back to Hongdae alone and have lunch. Well, she could have had lunch at Gwaknagu but she thought it would be much easier to eat at Hongdae then travel a bit faster to her dance practice. 

Her and Daejung haven't been talking lately as well. Ever since he skipped every attempt of hers to cook for him, she got fed up and just went on with their normal lives.

She already had lunch when Millic sent her a message inviting her to some coffee with Colde and 0channel. Since she still had 2 hours until their practice, she said yes. She hasn't seen them recently, too so it wouldn't hurt. Maybe she could ask them to come with her to the studio once they were through.

To her utter surprise, the three men were not at the cafe they agreed to meet up at. She called MIllic and he said they would be a bit late. Rather than get mad, Chahye settled on ordering her own double chocolate frappe. She sat on one of the tables beside the glass window and put her earphones on while she read the handout given from their Psychology class. If they won't come, then at least she made her time productive.

Her phone started playing Junggigo's "247". She kept on reading but sang along as she did.

Millic looked inside the cafe from the door and looked for Chahye. "Isn't she that one?" pointed Colde at a girl near the window, reading what appeared like stapled paper.
"That is her," said 0channel.
Millic tried to call her but she didn't even turn her head around. He looked at her more intently. "I think she has her earphones on and she's singing," he said.
"Let me see," said Dean pushing Millic aside. He looked across the cafe and saw Chahye. Her head was low but her lips were moving in a melody.
"Why don't you come up to her?" said Colde pushing Dean farther into the cafe.
"Yeah. You miss her. She misses you. Go ahead," said 0channel pushing him, too, smiling.
"Hey. You guys planned this. Not me," said Dean.
"Yeah. We did. We planned it for you," said Millic sticking his tongue out before running outside with the two.

Dean was left there dumbfounded. He knew the people inside the cafe must be looking at him weirdly and his friends after they goofed off at the door. He adjusted his jacket and walked over to where Chahye was. She was so absorbed into her readings and singing that she didn't even notice him approach.

As he neared her seat, he could her singing Junggigo's "247".

"Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Why so busy
Do you have anything going on
I’m really tired really tried

Stop calling
I want to rest, but heart burns
Give me a cup of water
Works loading up in the small workroom
I want to lie down, beside her"

He started singing the hook as he walked past her and taking the seat across her. He sat on it while singing along with her. But Chahye suddenly stopped as she felt someone sit across her, staring at her. She lifted her head and saw him right there, singing with a smile on his face. She didn't speak and just sang.

"The time is passing fast (I want to run)
And I pass each day barely

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Why so busy
Do you have anything going on
I’m really tired really tried"

Chahye sang along with him until the end of the song. While she sang the melody, Dean put in second voices.

"It’s been long, how are you doing
Me, I don’t know
Hello, I hold on to the phone
That doesn’t even have the number anymore
For a long time

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Why so busy
Do you have anything going on
I’m really tired really tired"

Chahye removed her earphones and faced him, smiling as Dean leaned across the table staring straight at her. "Why sing that song? Did you miss me?" he asked with a playful smirk.
"No. It just played. I'm on shuffle," said Chahye showing him her phone and pointing at the shuffle icon.
"Well... It was perfect timing I came then. I was busy and I did miss you," he said looking at her as he winked. Chahye leaned her head back in a mix of surprise and disgust. Dean just laughed it off. "You were off-key, by the way, at Zion.T hyung's parts though," he said leaning back in his chair.
"It's not like I could really sing that way. I'm a dancer, remember?" she said as she kept her earphones in her bag.
"But you hit Crush hyung's notes well," he said.
"Maybe because I'm used to hearing that style. Hyoseob sings to me most of the time," she said.
"Did he teach you how to sing?" asked Dean curiously because he found her singing voice really sweet.
"We did voice lessons together back then. He was just really better," smiled Chahye. "What are you doing here, by the way? Shouldn't you be busy or something?"
"My friends made me come here," said Dean pointing outside the cafe.

Chahye turned her head to look and there were Colde and 0channel standing coolly outside. And there's Millic who was waving his arms towards them with his mouth wide open. Chahye chuckled at his actions and had to cover as she shook her head.

"Your bestfriend is really weird sometimes," smiled Chahye at Dean.
"I am, too... Sometimes," smiled Dean.
"Aren't they gonna step inside?" she asked. "I already ordered my own drink," she said pointing at her half-filled frappe.
"Nah. That's okay. Let's go. Colde wanted to go to this souvenir shop down the street," said Dean.
"Aren't you busy?" asked Chahye quickly before Dean could get up.
"I am," he answered.
"Then why are you here?" she asked.
Dean sat back down comfortably and smiled at Chahye. "I wouldn't miss a chance to be with you, Chahye. I missed you. I know you missed me, too," he said as though he knew she missed him.
"Wh-what are... What are you t-talking about?" she stuttered to say.
"Millic told me you called him asking how I was," he said teasingly.

Chahye looked at him with no emotion and huffed. She took her phone from the table and her handouts and threw them inside her bag. She stood up quickly and walked away from the table even before Dean could stop her. He followed her outside, towards his friends. Millic saw her coming and opened his arms for her but Chahye wasn't smiling, neither did she look excited to see them.

"Cheon Seunghyun. I hate your !" she shouted as she approached him, reaching for his jacket's collar and pulling him towards her. She was a bit smaller than Millic but she didn't care. Colde and 0Channel tried to pull her away. "When did I ever tell you that I miss Dean?!" she shouted in her face.
Millic tried to avoid her face. He knew what she was talking about and he found it funny. She was turning pink and he found it cute. "What fun would it be if I didn't tell him you wanted to greet him a good night?!" he teased.
"I did not say that!" shouted Chahye in her face.
"Okay okay... That's enough, Chahye," said Dean reaching for her hand holding Millic's jacket.
She let go after Dean tugged on her hand. She was staring at Millic who laughed and winked at her. "Did you tell him already?" he teased.
"Shut up," pouted Chahye.
"Is this all because you missed me?" asked Dean.
"I did not. Urgh!" said Chahye stomping her feet.
"Oh. She missed you," teased Colde.

Chahye looked at all of them and pouted. She caught eyes with Dean then rolled hers as she walked away. The boys were still teasing Dean when they realized she was already a good distance away from them. Dean pushed them and he ran to follow her, the others right behind him.

"Hey, Chahye," called Dean as he caught up with her. "Are you mad? We were just teasing you," he said as he stopped her and stood right in front of her.
"I'm not mad," said Chahye looking down on the pavement.
Millic crept behind her and locked her neck between his arms. He covered his mouth near her ear and whispered, "I was just joking with Dean when I said you missed him. He was down yesterday." As she heard this, she was looking at Dean then rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry," said Millic releasing her.
Chahye pushed him away. "Get away from me," she said.
"And thank you for calling me by my real name earlier. Should I get you mad often so you could call me Seunghyun?" teased Millic.
"Stop it or I will really get mad at you," said Chahye walking over to Dean.
"What did he whisper to you?" he asked.
"It's nothing," she answered.
"Are you and Millic on to something? You two seem to have secrets," said Colde.
"Tell us," said 0channel.
"If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret then," said Millic sticking his tongue out.
"But Chahye, did you really miss Dean?!" teased 0channel.
"I didn't," said Chahye quickly.
"Oh really now?!" said Colde.
"Tell us the truth, Chahye," said Millic.
"Come on. I won't tease you," said Dean.
"Oh. He won't tease you," yes 0channel.
"We'll ," said Colde.
"I always do," said Millic.
"Shut up!" said Dean reaching for him.
"So did you?! Did you miss him?!" asked 0channel fervently.
Chahye has had enough of them asking. She raised both of her hands in defeat and said, "Okay. All right. I missed him. Happy?!"

The boys didn't answer. But Dean slowly painted a smirk on his face, happy that he heard it from her lips. She missed him. The other three stood behind Dean and were all smiles as they looked at him. Chahye smiled as she watched them all become weird.

"You're blushing," said Colde touching Dean's cheek with his index finger. Chahye looked and he was turning red, especially his ears.
"KWON HYUK IS BLUSHING!" shouted 0channel.
"KYAAAAH! You finally heard it from her," teased Colde as he locked Dean's neck with his arm.
"Aish. Stop it," said Dean trying to take his friends arm away from him.
"That's as good as hearing Chahye say that she likes you," said Millic smiling goofy in front of Dean.
"Hey! I just said I missed him. I didn't say I like him," pouted Chahye as she crossed her arms together.
"For us guys, it usually is the same thing," smiled 0Channel at her.
"Can we cut the crap and go to that Japanese store already? I want to see if they have those One Piece phone cases," said Colde releasing Dean.
"Which Japanese store is that?" asked Chahye.
"The one down this road, near those run-down pubs," said Colde.
"The ones hidden behind the new and marvelous wonders that is the Live Hall, Samsamhadang and Common Ground," said 0channel shaking his head.

The five then walked on towards the Japanese store. Chahye walked right beside Dean who often made his hand creep behind her and rest on her waist. She found it awkward since they were in front of his friends and a lot more other people. But she couldn't deny that she did miss having him right next to her, talking to him. She also missed Millic and Offonoff though. They were always so fun to be with.

At the store, the guys were excited rummaging through all the souvenirs and toy items. They were also offering mangas and costumes that usually were just available in Japan. Chahye didn't favor the Japanese market so much and so became tired as she shuffled through the wigs Japanese women usually attach onto their hair. She saw a Hello Kitty purse and instantly remembered Jiho.

"Maybe he would love this," said Chaye as she picked it up from the table of goods. 
"For Jiho?" Dean said behind her, his face just inches away from her.
Chahye almost turned her head if she didn't feel his chin graze her shoulder. "Could you... Could you step back please?" she said feeling uncomfortable.
"Okay...." said Dean unwillingly. "I was just looking at that," he said pointing at the purse in her hand.
"I was... I just thought about Jiho. Yes. But I don't think he'll like this," she said.
"How come? That's his favorite right?" asked Dean as he walked over to the masks hung from the ceiling.
"He already has tons of these at home," smiled Chahye putting the purse back down.
"Really now..." smirked Dean as he thought he already had something to tease Zico with.
"Hey guys," called Millic. "Colde's done. We're paying. How about you?"
"Right behind you," said Dean walking over to the counter.
"I'll be outside waiting for you guys," said Chahye waving to them as she stepped outside.

There weren't much people at this part of Hongdae since the farther you go into the street will only lead you to old and run-down establishments that used to be the main attractions in the 80's and 90's. As advancement came to the country, these places were left hanging and unnoticed. As Chahye leaned on the street lamp waiting for the boys to come out, she directed her view to a familiar street she used to go to back then. She knew Hyunjae's dad owned a pub around the area. She hasn't been there since her and Hyuk broke up. It wasn't an attraction but they used to spend time there as the band practiced their instruments. Hyuk visited there everyday, sometimes with her.

"Memories," she told herself.

Just then, she saw a group of 6 highschool boys come from the other end of the road with their school bags, two carrying what seemed to be guitar bags. Three were wearing blue jackets. Hanlim students. The other two were from Seoul National Highschool and one from Seoul School of Performing Arts. One of the Hanlim boys came to clear view as they turned left to the street leading to the old pubs.

"Daejung..." said Chahye as she stepped forward.

She couldn't be wrong. She could recognize his eyes and chin anywhere. It was his brother, carrying the same blue bag. She started walking forward, following them.

Just then, 0channel stepped out of the store carrying a plastic bag. He saw Chahye walking away. "Chahye?! Where are you going?" he called.
Chahye turned around to look at him. She bit her lips and said, "I have to follow Daejung." She then ran away following the group that was already far ahead.
0channel tried to follow her. But the others already stepped outside and saw him. "Where are you going?" asked Colde.
He looked back. "Chahye... She said she needed to follow someone," he said.
"Who?" asked Millic.
"She said it was a Daejung. Who is he?" asked 0channel.
"Daejung?" said Dean. He looked around and then realized. Millic grabbed his arm and looked at each other. "," he said.

The two then sprinted away from Offonoff, towards where they thought Chahye was going. "The . Wait for us!" shouted Colde as they followed them.

 

= _ = _ = _ = _ = _= _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ =

 

So... Have you guys watched Taeyeon's STARLIGHT yet?! Anyone else notice how the rooftop scene is like one of my chapters?! ;~; 

And guys.. The title is Starlight.. And remember?! Dean is Chahye's light. ;~; I can't.. That song made me so emotional.. T^T