Vingt-deux

Between The Raindrops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapitre Vingt-deux

>After all the stops and starts, we keep coming back to these two hearts.
   Two angels who've been rescued from the fall<

MyungSoo

“Mom, I’m home!” MyungSoo called as he put down his bag and took off his shoes at the front door. It wasn’t long until he heard his mother coming from the kitchen and greeted him with a huge smile. “Oh, you’re here.” She said happily, going over to him to give her son a hug. “So, how’s your new school going on?” HyunJoo asked, asking about Harmony School.

MyungSoo grinned automatically upon the mention of his new music school and it seemed that his wide smile was contagious, as his mother couldn’t help but to smile too. “So far, everything’s going great. A little hectic at times since we’re not used to having more than one instruments but everyone works together so ... no major crisis yet.”

HyunJoo nodded her head and looked at her son proudly. She was definitely happy with her children’s achievements, and despite her separation with her former husband a year ago, she was glad that they still managed to hold onto their career and pursue their dreams.

A part of her felt bad for them, as no doubt they were affected by the changes now that their family had changed, but she continued supporting them still in any ways that she could. Just because she didn’t live with them anymore, it didn’t mean that she’d stopped being their mother. Her new home was their home too, and they could come over whenever the wanted.

“Is MyungHee coming? I cooked enough for the four of us, you know, and you do seem like you need a lot of food in this skeleton body of yours.” HyunJoo said, poking MyungSoo’s arms and stomach, which almost felt like they only had bones and no meat.

MyungSoo laughed at that and walked with his mother to the kitchen. “She said she is on her way with ChangJo. He picked her up from her office.” MyungSoo breathed in the smell of the food his mother cooked, and he felt hungry instantly.

It had been quite a while since the last he ate anything proper, and his mother seemed to know that he was lacking nutrition in his body nowadays and hence she decided to prepare this whole lot of food to stuff him in.

“Anyway,” HyunJoo continued while preparing some drinks, “how’s your dad?”

MyungSoo’s eyes flickered to his mother at the mention of his father, and he lifted his shoulders as he nonchalantly said, “Appa’s fine.” And that was all he was going to offer. He knew that his mother asked out of pleasantries, and besides, it wasn’t as if there was much to tell about his father.

Their relationship wasn’t as bad as before, they’d begun talking, but nothing like how they used to be. Their conversations would only contain the things worth discussing, unlike the old days when they would talk about every single thing.

And now that HyunJoo had left home, there wasn’t much for them to talk about anyway, other than WooJin would ask from time to time how HyunJoo was doing. Like HyunJoo, WooJin only asked that out of good-natured remarks.

Things got harder between their parents, until they had come to a point where they thought it would be better if they separated. That way, both parties would not be hurt with each other’s presence and they would no longer have to argue in front of the children.

And as it turned out, it was indeed the best for the both of them, and though it was hard for MyungSoo, and harder for MyungHee, he didn’t mind it, as long as his mother was happy.

“And oh, mom, KyonDae and L.Joe sent their love. They said to tell you that they’re treating you to lunch one of these days. KyonDae in particular, is missing you a lot.” MyungSoo said, suddenly remembered about the couple.

HyunJoo’s face lit up when he mentioned KyonDae. “Awe, I’m missing her a lot too. She does know that she can come and visit anytime she wants, right? Just like the rest of you, feel free to pop in whenever you want, as long as I am home.” She said, her eyes softened as she thought of the girl whom she had considered as her own child. “Her mother is still keeping in touch with me, and we’re practically what you youngsters would say these days, ‘BFF’.”

MyungSoo guffawed at that and shook his head absently. It definitely warmed him to see his mother laughing, smiling, and telling stories. He wanted her to remain that way until the day he died. He would make sure of it, no matter what.

“So,” HyunJoo continued, “now that your music school is doing fine and well, I suppose in the next couple of months you can take some break or have some time to yourself.” She looked at MyungSoo as she said this, and MyungSoo cocked his head in confusion.

“Some time to myself?” He echoed, and HyunJoo nodded her head. “Yes, time to yourself. I do notice, MyungSoo, don’t you think I don’t. I know how hard you’ve been working on this for many months, and how much this music school means to you. But now that you have it going and if everything goes smoothly for the next couple of months, I want you to take a break and just go somewhere, to regroup yourself.”

She looked at her son in concern, who tried to smile back at her. “You’re getting paler and thinner, MyungSoo. You have been pushing yourself too hard. And I know that it’s not the music class that was simply on your mind.”

He avoided his mother’s eyes at the last sentence, pretending to be busy examining the mugs on the side. HyunJoo sighed and shook her head as she took a couple steps towards her son. She grabbed his hand and gave it a pat.

“I know you miss her a lot, son.” She muttered, and MyungSoo frowned, still not looking at his mother. “It doesn’t matter, omma.” He whispered, trying to think of a way to get out of this subject.

Taking in the disheartened look on his face, HyunJoo gripped his hand. “I am so sorry, MyungSoo.” She said. “I know that even if you don’t want to admit it, I know you still do miss her. And I am so sorry for what happened. Because of us adults, you kids were affected.”

“It’s nobody’s fault, omma.” MyungSoo said quickly, withdrawing his hand from his mother’s grasp. “Really, it doesn’t matter anymore. Perhaps it is for the best, and what matters most is that everyone is happy now. Things just happened and we were not meant to be, that’s all. Dad didn’t mean to lie and keep this from all of us, and you didn’t mean to run away. It’s no one’s fault.”

“Is there any chance that you could find her again?”

Now he looked at his mother, and she could see the pain living in his eyes. She knew he was struggling. There was a storm inside of him and he didn’t know how to calm it down, and she too didn’t know how to take the pain away from her child.

“No, I don’t know where to find her. Maybe she’s still in the country but I don’t know. Like I said, it’s better this way.” He said, and made a move to go to the other side of the kitchen to help his mother plating the food up. That itself was already a sign that he refused to talk more about it, and that wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter