Forbidden Love

Love Him for Me

Minwoo strides into the pub, his head high as he searches for the bulky figure of Dongwan. He makes his way over when he spots the solitary man seemingly intoxicated at the bar seating area.

“Hey,” He slides himself into the seat next to the man. “How are you?”

Dongwan turns over. Minwoo knows immediately the man is gone. It is no wonder the one who usually avoids getting drunk is giving himself in today. Bumping into Eric has caused all of them colossal emotional impact.

“Where is Jin?” The man slurs.

“I’ve sent him home,” Minwoo replies. Dongwan nods and rests his head on the bar table, facing the floor.

“Give me a whisky.” Minwoo tells the bartender before turning back to his friend. He notices Dongwan’s shoulders shuddering lightly. Minwoo remains quiet watching the grown-up man cries. Dongwan needs no words, just his company.

Tears keep flowing uncontrollably out of Dongwan’s eyes. He is already taken over by the alcohol, yet the ugly thoughts continue to play in his head. Whoever said alcohol heals and numbs feelings obviously lied.

“Say you love him, and I’ll back off.” Eric challenged. It was such a simple feat, yet Dongwan cannot say the words. Not at that moment. Not in that place. Not with Andy watching them. He isn’t dense. He knows Hyesung’s feeling for him. He knows all the confessions Hyesung had been dropping him… It is the journalist that is dense.

***

Eric glues his eyes on the second hand of the pendulum watch, watching it ticks, letting it brings him back in time. He has not visited that beach for almost 5 years, ever since Andy left. He had been busy. For the past 5 years, he was tracking down people he wanted dead, thieves that had stolen his future from him. Now that there is only one of them left, he wanted to visit Andy.

He never expects to meet them there. His old friends...

Friends…

Eric laughs scornfully at himself. The word no longer holds any meaning when they decided on different path.

Against his will, Dongwan’s face flashes across his mind. Eric stops letting the pendulum watch swings and clutches it tightly in his hand. Why? Why did Dongwan betray him?

The man suddenly feels alone and helpless. He turns to his desk, looking at the piece of paper containing Hyesung’s information. The feeling of needing to find solace in Hyesung suddenly becomes desperate.

The next day

For the umpteen times, Hyesung hesitantly turns his eyes back to the tightly shut door separating him from Dongwan. The strong urge to enter Dongwan’s room cannot be waned, yet he knows how Dongwan can be when his privacy is intruded.

Hyesung let out a sigh. He has not seen the man for more than 24 hours. Dongwan went out early the day before because it was his friend’s death anniversary. He only returned after Hyesung fell asleep (on the couch because he was waiting for Dongwan). Dongwan never woke him up. But Hyesung thought it is his fault for falling asleep in the first place.

The man let out another frustrated sigh before walking out of the door. Seeing Dongwan has to wait.

After settlings down at his favourite table in the cafe, Hyesung prepares to get up and buy his favourite latte, but an uninvited guest suddenly sits opposite him. The man places a cup beside his laptop, taking Hyesung by surprised.

It is none other than Eric, the criminal that kidnapped him, humiliated him (yes, Hyesung is still upset about the dance comment!), and then gave him valuable information for his article. The man flips open the book he has with him and starts reading quietly. Hyesung crosses his arms and glares at his uninvited company. Eric pays no attention to him.

Unconsciously, Hyesung finds himself studying the well-define features on the criminal’s face. Just as a writer would do, he starts comparing it with famous artefacts. Statute of David pops up in his mind as he raises the cup to have a sip.

It is his favourite hot latte.