A Past Worth Knowing

Love Him for Me

Minor amendments...

Hyesung’s fingers furiously strike on the keyboard, his eyes scanning through the data he has of Eric Mun, the identity of his victims. He remembers the look Eric was wearing when he said one last person has to die. Eric has a story, and if Hyesung can figure it out before Eric strikes, he might be able to save a life.

After hours of staring at his laptop screen, the writer leans back and stretches his tired back. His hands wrap around his warm cup of latte, bringing the comforting drink to his mouth. But he almost chokes on it when he spots a familiar face smiling at him.

From the next table, Eric lifts his cup to toast the man he has been observing since he arrives at the café. He laughs lightly when Hyesung sends him an angry glare and quickly packs up to leave the place.

Cute, Eric thought as he watches the man disappears through the door.

***

Hyesung angrily mutters several curse words for Eric while stomping his feet home. His annoyance for the man has reached a new record. How dare he smile at him as if they were friends? He was kidnapped and insulted by him (Hyesung was still hurt by the comment that he cannot dance) just one week ago! He huffs out in frustration, pushing open the door to his apartment, but the lovely sight of Dongwan on his couch snaps him out of fury. The gorgeous officer is now staying with him after his “disappearance”. The only good thing he would give Eric credit for.

A silly smile replaces his earlier frown.

“Hey, you are back!” Dongwan looks up from the magazine. He stands up, stuff his feet into the cute bunny slippers and advances to the kitchen. “I was just reaching your article.” The man says, bringing out the home-cook steak he had prepared. “I added sesame oil to your steak. Although I have no idea why you would like that.” Dongwan laughs.

The word “sunshine” involuntarily filled up all of Hyesung’s head looking at that smile. Hyesung is sure he is the most blissful person in the world that moment.

“And I have no idea why you sew your surname on all my shirts after you shifted in. Are you claiming me to be yours?” Hyesung retorts. Deep in his heart, he is wishing Dongwan will just say “yes”, but no such luck yet. The simple-minded officer is too dense to get any of Hyesung’s subtle confession.

Dongwan smiles and went back to the couch, grabbing the magazine he was reading and bringing it to the dining table. “Let’s see what you have written this week!”

A pause.

Dongwan’s face went pale.

“Why? Is my article that bad?” Hyesung forces out an awkward laugh, nervously guessing the thoughts going through the mind of his crush.

“How did you get the information?” Dongwan asks in an austere manner, eyes still on the article.

“Huh?”

“How did you know there is one more person Eric wants to kill?” Dongwan raises his eyes to Hyesung’s. The despondency in his eyes is unfamiliar to Hyesung. He had always been the happy-go-lucky Dongwan in front of Hyesung before. And he had always respected Hyesung’s occupation, never questioning how the journalist got his information.

“I…I met him last week.” Hyesung decides to keep the fact that he was kidnapped to himself.

Dongwan stands up abruptly, palms flying to grasp Hyesung’s shoulder. “Where is Eric?!”

Hyesung looks up, frighten by his loved one’s action.

"Do...do you know him?" Hyesung asks; his hesitant question managing to return Dongwan some of his rationale.

Dongwan let go of the writer and lowers his gaze. So many years have pass, yet the killer can still affect him this much...

“Stay away from him. He is dangerous.” The last man Eric wants to kill, is a person Dongwan vouched to protect...