I Love You

Love Him for Me

The cold November wind sweeps along the street, rustling the leaves in its path. The otherwise peaceful night is disturbed by a mixture of crying and occasional laugh from a forlorn figure sitting by the road side. Hyesung left Eric’s place when he finally got out of his daze after Eric shut the door. Not in the best state of mind, the man intended to travel home on feet and ended up sitting on the curb after hours of endless walking.

“Hyesung-ah!” Dongwan’s voice blasts from his phone as he re-plays the videos of Dongwan shouting his name during his mountain climbing trips for the countless times that night.

“Hyesung-ah!” The Dongwan in the small screen laughs and mumbles, “I should do this less often. It is draining my data plan.” He turns to the screen and grins cheerfully, “It is cold here, but the scenery is really beautiful *camera slowly pans around the mountain Dongwan was at before going back to the handsome man*. You should come with me one day. Stop cooping yourself in that café. You will not meet anyone interesting there.”

He met Eric.

“Hyesung-ah!” Another video. Dongwan exhales as he looks around his surroundings. “I wish you are here to share this sight with me.” The man turns back to the screen with his signature grin, “Anyway, the police found enough evidences to arrest the man you wrote about last week. Thanks for helping us crack the case. You are more amazing than you think…really. I’ll drop by your place tomorrow and reward you with some home cook whelk noodles. Extra sesame oil!”

Hyesung laughs a little before being consumes with the urge to cry again. All the videos were film at a time before he met Eric, before Dongwan stops grinning, before he screws up everything.

Will you still say that if you know Dongwan loves you?

If it was six months ago, he would have followed Dongwan’s decree like it was one of the Ten Commandments and shunned the serial killer. He would have lived his life with Eric being just one of the subjects in his many articles.

But things didn’t happen that way.

No matter how much he loves Dongwan, Eric has already claimed his own significant spot in Hyesung’s heart.

It is not a fling.

Hyesung has no answer to Eric’s question.

***

Dongwan sits at his desk, his eyes scanning through the letter he wrote to request for transfer from his duty of protecting Hyesung. His luggage is already packed and stood neatly by his bed. In a few hours, he will leave this place for good. Hyesung doesn’t need his protection anymore. Eric is more than capable of doing that.

Eric used to be his dorm mate and also his arch-enemy when they were in the police academy. Both of them were contenders for the top cadet in their cohort, exceling in every area. Their rivalry continued for years, until the day Andy made his older brother confess his real feelings to Dongwan, at the exact same place Eric challenged him to say he loves Hyesung six months ago.

Dongwan used to have it all - a bright future, a group of friends as close as brothers, a blissful relationship with someone as outstanding as him. But he lost everything the day Eric walked out of his life with a threat. Life is but an empty dream.

The sound of the door unlocking alerts the police officer. The sky is still dark and no one will visit the house of the friendless journalist. Dongwan poises himself and walks into the living room cautiously, preparing to tackle the intruder, but a distraught Hyesung enters his sight.

He should be at Eric’s.

“Dongwan…Tell me you love me.” Hyesung murmurs, staggering towards Dongwan. “Please tell me you love me, even if it is just a lie to make me happy.” The man falls towards Dongwan and tightly wraps his arms around the officer. Dongwan stands frozen to the spot, unable to articulate. It was only yesterday that Hyesung finally confessed his relationship with Eric. What happen? He senses Hyesung’s desperateness when the hug becomes tighter.

“I love you,” he says. It is not a lie. The corner of Hyesung’s lips lift lightly, almost unnoticeable, before he gives in to sleep. Dongwan carries the man back to his bed and wipes the dirt off his face with a piece of damp towel. Even when asleep, Hyesung looks exhausted. Dongwan walks towards his desk and trashes the letter he drafted for his superior earlier.

The journalist…I am claiming him.

Why?! Is he yours? Did you claim him?

I almost forgot you got demoted because of me. How moving. Should I be touched? Was it also your job to shout his name at the summit of every hills and mountains?

Say you love him, and I’ll back off.

Did Eric approach Hyesung only because he found out Dongwan falls for the journalist? Did he really loves the man or did he only date Hyesung just to hurt him and punish Dongwan?

But regardless of what atrocities Eric does, Dongwan can never stop loving him. Regardless of what Minwoo says, he will never be able to move on.

The most important person in his life, is Eric.

Chapter 1, 3 & 4 should be making more sense now since Ricwan's relationship is finally cleared up.

For kyodeng shippers, I told you Dongwan will have his turn with Hyesung in the comments!

Ricsyung shippers, don't worry, Hyesung still loves Eric.

Ricwan shippers, there you go. Wannie loves the leader most ;) And Eric still loves him too. But......